Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Daughter of Passion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I'll have Four Bloody Mary's please

aldrich
Dec 31, 2020

me ready to greet the new decade
Daughter of Passions

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Daughter of Passions

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I have no idea what to make of any of that, so I rolled for it: Flavian Priest.
I also don't know what any of this stuff is, but I kind of think it goes along with the narrative- we had some great suffering (possibly due to our family and friends being dead), then go out to seek some new structure in our lives through this mother figure. The Daughters of Passion sound like they're a group who might seek out those who are detatched from earthly things so that they can judge and educate people fairly, given that we lost everything important to us, I imagine we're pretty detatched. This is my headcanon thus far anyway.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Sister of Bones

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
You realize the mother is...

[Ace of Cups]: ...a Daughter of Passions

(4) [Four of Cups]: ...a Sister of Bones Four beats gained
(1) [Page of Wands]: ...a Flavian Priest One beat gained
Tally: Three Experiences, Three Beats

The Mother gazes into your eyes. "Look upon the water. Tell me what you sense, child."

You cast your vision back to the lake.

Constellations. A star like the sun itself, though the rest is night. So bright even its reflections cast shadows. The mountains... the mountains are taller, the forests thicker. I can hear the wildlife. I can almost... 

Your nostrils flare with your words, picking up their scents - strange odors which are as unfamiliar as everything here.

I can smell them. 

Your eyes begin to adjust to the brightness over the lake. You can make out the waves, even the currents. The reflections of light ripple to and fro, though some draw your attention more than others. By concentrating, you can almost force the images to still themselves upon the lake's surface.

I see five... fortresses reflecting over the lake's surface, in a pattern around the rim. But I don't see the towers along the shore.

"That's good. I have little else for you myself but advice: avoid the creatures you sense. You came here with purpose, do not let the denizens distract you from it." Mother's concern seems authentic, even out here among these oddities.

"The Voivode has left thousands of dead in his wake. Some are trapped here, unwilling to pass on until they claw their vengeance from the living. Ignore their whispers, ignore their pleadings. There are a hundred mouths, a hundred caves in this place. Follow the song of Creation." Indeed, the song - louder now - beckons you along the shoreline, through thick-foliaged trees. A clinging fog weaves around those trunks and roots closest to the shore itself.

"We will not send you alone. The Voivode is served by his triple brides - we will call on their strength to see you through." Mother, and the other two women, begin to sing, their voices aligned in a harsh tongue of Europe's east that you don't recognize. More punctures and wounds flow from each. 

A thousand paces away, peculiar movement attracts your attention. Three figures veiled and draped in white slowly emerge from the trees, they seem almost formed of the mist themselves.

When you glance back, mother and the other two women - are gone. 

You press forward to meet your fate.

Path of Fate posted:

(sp: digital nudity)

The Bride who greets you is...
  • [Page of Swords]: ...Mara: The Dragon's Fury - Found as chattel in an Adrianople slave market, Mara's first answer to the Voivode's proposals was to spit in his eye. He came to see in her a vehicle for all his hatred, rage, and resentment at the curse of death. He saw her as the claws that would tear the face of God if given the chance.
  • [The World]: ...Anoushka: The Dragon's Guilt - An immigrant to Europe from the shores of India, educated in a Venetian nunnery, Anoushka's initial encounter with the Voivode saw them as adversaries. She participated in an attempt to loot his ancestral haven and perhaps banish the ghosts of the dead. He swayed her with his conviction, turning Anoushka from hunter to collaborator. She believed in his desire to change, to become better.
  • [The Lovers]: ...Lisette: The Dragon's Flame - Indulged by a noble father without sons, Lisette was steeped in formal religious education usually reserved for men. While it was her nubility that drew the Voivode's eye initially, it was her mastery of languages and philosophy which kept him conversing.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Mara

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Mara

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Mara

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Mara

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

While there definitely seems to be consensus forming, allow me to dissent with logic and reason. Lisette

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

If we're picking a bride, why not go for the obvious choice?

-or-

C'mon baby, light my fire.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 1, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Lisette, obviously.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Anoushka: The Dragon's Guilt

aldrich
Dec 31, 2020

Mara!

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
Your guide at the threshold is...

[Page of Swords] ...Mara: The Dragon's Fury

(3) [The Lovers] Lisette: The Dragon's Flame Three beats gained
(1) [The World] Anoushka: The Dragon's Guilt One beat gained
Tally: Four Experiences, Two Beats

With no thoughts of turning back, you march along the lake's edge. As you approach the three veiled brides, two vanish back into mist, dissolving like so much smoke. The third rips at the veil across her face, shredding it like it were spiderweb. The act serves to focus her form, until what seems to be no apparition stands before you.

She watches your approach, a natural scowl curling at her lip as she takes in her surroundings. The lake, the circle of forests, the ring of mountains. Her eyes focus in particular on the great comet still visible in the night sky. 

"The Dragon's Eye still looks down upon the land, and already you come here? Someone in Naples is letting their ambition conquer their sense. Who put you up to this folly?" The rest of her white robe dissolves away, seemingly reforming into a set of mercenary's gear. Armor, scabbard, cloak and marching boots. In fact, one of her hands pulls at that blade, testing the weight of it. You see an inch or two of the silver metal before she lets it drop back into place, assured she has a weapon at her side.

In turn, you assure her you are here of your own volition and your own desire.

"Then who put the Voivode's mark upon you?" He teeth show as she expresses her incredulity - they look oversized and sharp. 

You tell her the truth. Of the music you can still hear which feels like it is leading you somewhere. Of the three women and their strange ritual, the coin and the marks. 

Her eyes remain narrowed in suspicion, but as your story unfolds, they soften. At the end of it, as you talk about the Mother specifically, she asks more questions about her appearance, her mannerisms - until she seems to recognize the figure. "Alright, alright. I believe your tale. I do not smell any lies upon you."

After that admission, a dangerous humor comes to her, a small chuckle slipping past her now wicked smile. "An accident. A fly in the ointment. A coin on its edge." The chuckle turns into a full laugh, echoing out across the water. She lifts her eyes to the sky again, still grinning. A hand comes up, flicking an obscene gesture at the red-tailed star. "And what does your grand scheme think of that, you foolish god?"

There is no answer forthcoming from the sky, and so she turns back to you. "You should have had years of teaching before this point, my childe. But something inside of you pushes you forward. I advise you to never lose that sense of direction. But - tonight, as you demand the gods themselves give you new form, I urge you not to be timid."

"You are taking your soul into your own hands. You have learned the lesson that you are the only one who will truly and honestly fight for it. What greater cause can a man have? Let the Fates accept your terms, or force them to tarnish the holy righteousness they claim as purview. Write your name in the ledger of blood, and demand an immortal coil. Why not? What do you have to lose but your past?"

"I will help you tonight. Other souls will be drawn to you, hungry souls. They will attempt to wear the faces of your past, but they are not who you knew, or who you loved. They are vengeful Manes to whom you've never done a single wrong, yet they will wail and moan and try and distract you from your path. They will stand little chance against me, I promise you. But do not speak to them, do not address them - that will only give them the power to hurt you."

"I cannot take you all the way, you will need to form your own chrysalis... your own womb through which to be reborn. Should you be successful, and find yourself in a new world - you will have a million new questions. I do not personally know the woman, this Mother, who marked you - but I know of her, and I know her Master in Pozzuoli. If you cannot find her, or she refuses to help you, find her master and demand an apprenticeship. Or find your own way, should that be what drives you - I only offer opportunity, not an order. But her master will help, if you press, and if you let them see this moment we are sharing right now."

Path of Fate posted:

The Master that Mara describes is...
  • [Page of Cups] ...Malachi of the Ascended Spark: A confessor of the Twilight Council, Malachi sees to the ethical and moral center of his students and underlings, using his spirituality as an Orthodox priest to bolster one's soul against the darkness.
  • [Ace of Wands] ...Barbata of the Crimson Beast: A warrior of the Axe, Barbata turns rage and hatred to directed purpose, putting those bestial forces to the capture and defeat of her people's enemies.
  • [Six of Wands] ...Santino of the Rendered Flesh: A doctor of the Dying Light, Santino's experiments with the dead and anatomy makes him a talented surgeon, capable of reversing dangerous diseases and even death itself.

Mara chuckles again over your confusion at some of the terms she uses. "It matters not. Remember their name, and remember Pozzuoli."

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Malachi

aldrich
Dec 31, 2020

Malachi

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Santino

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Santino

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Santino

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Barbata

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Malachi of the Ascended Spark

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Take up your Wand!

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The Mentor Spoken of is...

(3) [Page of Cups] ...Malachi of the Ascended Spark

(3) [Six of Wands] Santino of the Rendered Flesh Three beats gained
(2) [Ace of Wands] Barbata of the Crimson Beast Two beats gained
Tally: Five Experiences, Two Beats

Precedence Set: Tie results to be resolved by order of first post. Toughy's initial vote for Malachi carries the tie.

Rites of the Dragon posted:

As the sun came up, I fell into slumber. More, I fell into dream—but a dream that had no sickly patina of nightmare, nor cloudy haze of half hopes. It was not a dream as men dream, nor was it the usual voiceless beast rumblings of ghul rest. Nay, this was clear and valid, a revelation with profound impact, rivaled only by that vision I had when I was made anew as one of the strigoi

This, though, was no vista of crystal illumination. I found myself on a barren plain, with a veritable forest of the impaled surrounding me, stretching out in every direction. I saw my father and brothers, my Turkish captors, my Hungarian allies and Saxon foes. I saw my mortal wife and sons, dead all, and more, the many ghuls I have known, Fouchard and Anoushka and the walking dead of Paris and Jerusalem, even sweet Lisette, all immobilized by the wooden blow.

Surrounding me impaled was every person I had known, in my life or after.

"Come, my brave one. Stay close to me. Call if I put too much distance between us. And remember - the spirits you see are closer to figments then anything among the living." The Bride Mara strides forward, leading the way into the mist-infested forest. You weave into its shadows after her, careful to heed her words, careful to keep her in sight.

It does not take long to see these figments. One moment, thin and tall trees shift and change their appearance, turning into wooden poles - like might be used to hoist banners or tents - haphazardly thrust into the earth itself. Soon, these poles come to host the very spirits you'd been warned about. A strong cacophony of moans and cries reaches you all at once. What once were branches and alder foliage blossoms instead into the impaled.

Mara pays them only minute heed, weaving forward - glancing back just once to make sure you were doing the same and following. The figures here whimper in agony, thrashing upon their stakes, their struggles mostly resulting in only more spilled blood and torn flesh.

The level of the terrain shifts with each step. The rim of mountains influencing the ground now, adding a rockiness and slope to the difficulty of each step. Soon you are forced to grasp the stakes themselves to steady your own progress. You try and ignore the fitful sounds of those stuck, reminding yourself they are not real.

This becomes harder as you begin to recognize those tortured.

Optional Write-In posted:

In one or two words, define a relationship to someone you recognize among the impaled. (ex: Father, Sister, Old Friend, Bitter Rival, Young Lover, Distant Cousin). Anachronisms may be adjusted.

Continuing past these apparitions drains at you in a way the journey thus far had not. Only your guide's assurances stopped you from believing their cries of pain. As your will stands resolute, their pleadings turn to aggression. Some begin to spasm and twist, using whatever leverage and means they can to escape the wooden spikes. Most efforts only serve to wound them even more, but amid great tearing and breaking sounds, some do manage to reach the earth.

They are quickly met by your guide. Her fingernails elongate into wicked sharp implements, black and bloody thorns erupting from the flat surfaces of her hands and wrists. Her movements become more animalistic, almost wolflike as she weaves between the wooden shafts, rending apart any of the manes which free themselves before they can truly threaten you. Their screams of pain continue to sound authentic.

Despite the horror of it all, you continue to put one foot in front of the other, continue to follow the path being laid out before you. As Mara engages, you hear a new song from within her, as if her heartbeat had its own ballad, much like the one you were following. But as the forest of the dead thins out, replaced more and more by the rocky slopes of the mountain ridge - her song quiets, then stills altogether, leaving only that original clarion melody. 

She grins at you, the flush of battle fading. "We are through. You did well." Her eyes take in the stony paths and cliffs of this new terrain. "There are a hundred mouths to a hundred caves found here. Where they truly lead, only you can discover. Only you can decide how to press on from this point. I pray such that some of my strength accompanies you."

Path of Fate posted:

Going forward, an inspiration you take from your guide is...
  • [Queen of Wands] ...her Confidence: You will press forward, never second guessing yourself, never allowing hesitation to deter you.
  • [The Moon] ...her Intuition: You will see through the illusions and misdirection of this place, and will not be distracted.
  • [Ten of Wands] ...her Struggle: You will persevere despite the blood and hurt you might encounter. No pain shall make you recoil.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Intuition is something you can just pick up right?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Intuition sounds like a useful thing to have around things we don't fully understand.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We will take the Confidence of this queen of battle.

We saw our disillusioned protege amongst the manes

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

we recognized people from our town and the old lady that raised us on the streets, closest thing we ever had to a mother.

her Intuition

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Respect the Hustle! Even when it starts to encumber you...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Intuition

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Childhood friend

Her Intuition

aldrich
Dec 31, 2020

Intuition.

We also saw our First Love.

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

Your guide's inspiration to you is...

(6) [The Moon] ...her Intuition

(1) [Queen of Wands] ...her Confidence One beat gained
(1) [Ten of Wands] ...her Struggle One beat gained
Tally: Five Experiences, Four Beats

Fleeting memories
  • First Love - Fumbling and inexperienced pleasures, the sweetness and sharpness of hawthorn berries.
  • Disillusioned Protege - Unjustified anger, impatience, and shattered Venetian glass
  • Childhood Friend - Secret laughter and the smokey scent of the hearth's fire.
  • Streetsavvy Mother - The oiled smell of a leather apron and the tussel of your hair.
You thank your guide for accompanying you this far, bolstering yourself for your continued journey. She almost bristles at the praise, but accepts it. "Go." The word is barely out of her mouth before she starts to fade from your vision, disappearing like so much gossamer. 

When she is no more, you turn to face the mountain.

Even without the manes harrying your steps, continuing the ascent is difficult going. Still, you climb and scrabble your way upwards, following the now louder tones of your guiding song. 

You are soon to realize Mara was correct. Even from your low vantage you already see a variety of different cave mouths leading deeper into the mountain. From all of them a trace of the song issues, but you are wary of misdirection. Drawing from your guide, you pause in your scaling of the dirt and rock, closing your eyes and listening with focus. 

Slowly some of the sounds fade, narrowing your choice and direction, guiding you deeper. With calm and resolve, you trust your newfound instincts.

Path of Fate posted:

You follow the song into...
  • [Two of Swords] ...the Mouth of Boundaries
  • [Seven of Wands] ...the Mouth of Conviction
  • [The Magician] ...the Mouth of Power

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Power

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yay! You're back!

Power

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Boundaries

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Conviction

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

These Swords Speak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Neither power or conviction is worthy without an understanding of the Boundaries of what is.