Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was it
Yes
No
Last good gta was san andreas (SA lol)
Goku
View Results

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Playing through Super Mario RPG and arriving at Star Hill. Hmm, dreams coming true? Methinks someone on the dev team might be a goon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, there's an enemy in Kid Icarus named "Eggplant Wizard"! What an obscure piece of SA history to name something after! Just goes to show, you never know where goons are gonna pop up.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

The bonus level hidden in Super Mario Odyssey where you fly using Mario's red winged hat and collect the red coins is believed to contain a hidden reference to Tribute.avi. if you set your system clock to 9/11/2001, the Twin Towers appear in the center of the level after collecting the sixth coin. If Mario hits either tower, yakety sax is heard faintly in the background while the tower ignites and collapses.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

pokemon diamond/pearl had some SA stuff that is so blatant and well known it doesnt even qualify as easter eggs

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Hey goon sirs, in The Sims 4 if you remove all the doors, windows, and toilets, within 6 in-game hours your sims will poo poo their pants. is a sly reference to Something Awful?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Making Johnny Fiveaces a major character in Cyberpunk 2077 (and even having him potrayed by Keanu Reeves) was a bold move. Its a shame they had to slightly change the name for legal reasons, but its super obvious that its supposed to be him.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

As of December 29th, the most ambitious pant making GBS threads simulator - Goon Citizen - has crowd funded over $335,000,000 dollars

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
there was that mission in grand theft auto 5 where that girl makes you carry a laser printer for like 2 miles

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I remember the streamer who found a reference to "the battle of wounded knee" in some game and said it was a Skyrim reference

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

you broke my grill posted:

I remember the streamer who found a reference to "the battle of wounded knee" in some game and said it was a Skyrim reference

its a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfEjdihKnYk

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In has been theorized that Duke Nukem's catchphrase of "Eat poo poo and Die" is a veiled reference to the Something Awful subforum "gently caress You and Die"[6][7]. While some[who?] have criticized this theory, its defenders cite chapter 8 of Duke Nukem Does the Internet as evidence that Duke bowdlerized the title out of concern of directing impressionable children to websites intended for adults.[8]

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In raunchy N64 game Conkers Bad Fur Day there is a boss named "the big mighty poo", who's main attack is throwing, well, poop at you. This is of course a reference to my posting.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Grand Thaft Thauto.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The astrophysical event known as the "Big Bang" was put in the cosmos as a reference to the something awful forums poster Mooey Cow's ability to do an immense sexual intercourse

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Mario's original name Jumpman was actually a take on the classic something awful gaming slang "shootmans".

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
The lower taxes button in simcity is actually a reference to Richard 'LowTax' Kyanka

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In GTA if you type the cheat “granos” you immediately get a five star wanted level

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m Mass Effect 3 when you hook up with another character of the same sex, there’s a 10% chance of getting a cutscene where Shepherd says “I’m gay”.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i think the game brigador has actual somethingawful stuff in it, for some ungodly reason

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Grand Thaft Thauto.

Grand Shaft Thoto

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
philip seymour hoffman overdosed as an homage to tcc

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

when i equip the unique YCS/186 gauss rifle in new vegas, im fondly reminded of the ycs death spiral where the whole forum was full of making GBS threads dick nipples and suchlike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoKlxjIMGFc

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GolfHole posted:

i think the game brigador has actual somethingawful stuff in it, for some ungodly reason

It's because its developer Gauss was a part of the handful of actual game devs like Josh "Ropekid" Sawyer who posted in YCS and later migrated to the Badgame offsite when it was shut down. They all throw sly hidden references to each other and the website in their games; New Vegas has the YCS/186 Gauss rifle and Brigador has a vehicle called the Rope Kid and buildings with YCS signs on them.

Also some of the pilots in Brigador are named and modeled after YCS/Badgame posters, like Phallic Baldwin appearing as Phil Bromlin

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

pokemon diamond/pearl had some SA stuff that is so blatant and well known it doesnt even qualify as easter eggs

the "I like shorts!" kid in red and blue is an in-joke about a thread in GBS, isn't it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the "I like shorts!" kid in red and blue is an in-joke about a thread in GBS, isn't it?

nah it turned out that's just literally what the kid says. there are only so many ways you can phrase it.

the translation should just barely predate SA

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Fur20 posted:

nah it turned out that's just literally what the kid says. there are only so many ways you can phrase it.

One of the translators for the early pokemon games is Douglas Dinsdale. He was involved in the translations up until gen 4 (diamond / pearl). There were some in-jokes in Diamond/Pearl, and I believe he confirmed it in their Let's Play thread.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

There was a banhammer in loving morrowind of all games. Plus the johnny five aces reference in fallout new vegas.
...trap sprung?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The English translation of Pokemon Red and Blue were released in 1998, it would have taken you five seconds to look this up and piece together that the line predates the existence of SA.

The actual order of things is:
-The English translation of Pokemon Red and Blue come out in 1998 and has an NPC that is a little boy whose dialog is "Hi! I like shorts! They’re comfy and easy to wear!"
-Because the line is so funny and weird it was quoted a lot online by fans of the game and became a meme over the following decade an even returned in future Pokemon games.
-in the 2010 Let's Play thread entitled Let's Horribly Break Pokemon Blue the goon Douglas Dinsdale identified himself as the freelance translator Nob Ogasawara, who translated every mainline Pokemon title up until Pokemon Platinum. He claims to have translated and written the shorts line, though he wasn't the only translator working on it so he blames things like Mr. Mime being give a gendered name without considering that future games might give individual Pokemon genders on other people. Presumably he felt comfortably outing himself and speaking candidly about his work because in 2008 The Pokemon Company stopped hiring him.

Fur20 posted:

According to Legends of Localization the line is funny and noteworthy because it's actually a pretty inaccurate translation of a conversational line (he literally translates it as "Shorts are nice and easy to move around in! Why don’t you wear some too?") that turns it into a clunky non-sequitur exclamation. I would hesitate to call it a bad translation though because IMHO having a line that's funny and memorable is way more valuable than having one that is more technically accurate to the original text but unremarkable.

quote:

The first thing I notice is that the Japanese shorts line feels like a self-observation and a suggestion directed at the main character. The Japanese line also mentions that shorts are easy to move around in, which fits the character and the setting. He’s a Pokémon trainer and has to go around training and fighting and catching stuff in the wilderness, so being properly clothed is important.

In contrast, the English line feels more like a random statement that comes out of nowhere and has little relevance to anything. It reminds me a bit of Ralph Wiggum from The Simpsons and all his weird, random lines too – stuff like “my cat’s breath smells like cat food” and “my parents won’t let me use scissors”. Now that I think about it, those quotes have a very similar and beloved reputation too.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/a-look-at-pokemon-and-comfy-shorts/

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 31, 2020

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Hiker nob

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Making Johnny Fiveaces a major character in Cyberpunk 2077 (and even having him potrayed by Keanu Reeves) was a bold move. Its a shame they had to slightly change the name for legal reasons, but its super obvious that its supposed to be him.

I mean, Silverhand is an abusive pill-addled narcissist, so Fiveaces reference aside, the character is clearly based on Something Awful's founder, whose name has been lost to time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cliffy B once ended a Gamepro(?) interview by asking "Do you have stairs in your house?" and the interviewer had no idea what he was talking about. And they printed it anyway.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In Sonic and Tails, when tails is almost elbow deep in Sonic's rear end, and Sonic is making that crazy ahegao face and moaning out his "Aaawwwwwaaaa JEEEEZZZuuussss TTTAAAAAIIILLS" speech that's actually an insider reference to a classic Goons With Spoons thread.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Before he got famous, Lil Yachty was a moderator on the GameFAQ forums and had access to user's private messages. One of those users was our very own LadyAmbien, and she had struck up a conversation with a developer for Watch Dogs. On his first mix tape Lil Yachty strongly implied that the Ban Hammer melee weapon found in Watch Dogs was a nod to our forums. Though there's no proof that stunt got that developer into her pants, there's also no proof that it didn't work either.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Isometric Bacon posted:

Doom 3 had SA open in one of the computer monitor tabs if I remember correctly.

Good god, that was a lifetime ago...

:Edit: I cannot find a reference to this anywhere. Surely I didn't dream this? I recall it also had Fark and being bummed that it was more prominently displayed...

You're thinking of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within and WinZip.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
some lady in Rage wears a YCS shirt, referencing the former Something Awful subforum closed for racism.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

In Dragon Age: Origins, the OST has songs sung in English. This is a hidden tribute to the something awful forum BYOB who's official language was made English by the new owner. (According to the stickied thread if you want to speak 'gobbldy guk' you can sign up for a free reddit account)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

You're thinking of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within and WinZip.

There are computers in Postal 2 that have Old Man Murray on them, which was a game humor website that was part of the same loose affiliation of early-00s humor sites like Something Awful and Seanbaby. Its writers ran Portal of Evil and would go on to write the Portal series, just to further drive home how seemingly everyone in that circle aside from Lowtax managed to get breakout success.

Reality Protester posted:

some lady in Rage wears a YCS shirt, referencing the former Something Awful subforum closed for racism.

I would legit love some kind of oral history or compendium of all the YCS references that made it into actual games but I can totally see why people would be hesitant to publicly associate with an edgy ironic 00s humor subforum whose legacy is a race realism friendly offsite. It's also why Portal of Evil was completely memoryholed after Portal came out, and even then there's at least one thinkpiece trying to trace the line from their 00s edge and ironic misogyny to gamergate.

https://www.mic.com/articles/180888/erik-wolpaw-chet-faliszek-old-man-murray-untold-origins-of-gamergate-harassment-abuse-gaming-culture

Dignity Van Houten posted:

In Dragon Age: Origins, the OST has songs sung in English. This is a hidden tribute to the something awful forum BYOB who's official language was made English by the new owner. (According to the stickied thread if you want to speak 'gobbldy guk' you can sign up for a free reddit account)

*in Halo title screen voice* ~huuurf de duurf its beee whyyy oh beee tiiime~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Grand theft awfulforums