Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jizz Watcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Can I do election fraud to help this thread moving? piratescurvy (spouse) votes for knocking.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Whybird posted:

Oh man, I loved this gloriously trippy trainwreck of a book. Duck politeness, we have spectral stalkers on our tail (presumably): walk in unannounced.

This guy's got a point, walk in unannounced

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Bang bang into the room

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Linux Pirate posted:

This guy's got a point, walk in unannounced

yeah get in there and bust.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
walk in unannounced definitely

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
the knockers have it (first to 3, i'm sorry!)

The knocker raps loudly on the heavy wooden door. You wait for a reply; nothing happens but the sudden appearance of a light behind the little glass circle. Then, in a gravelly voice, the door itself speaks to you! "You are a human warrior. You possess eight coins of gold. Please insert four coins into the slot and enter."

Will you follow these instructions and put 4 Gold Pieces into the slot in the door, before going through the doorway (turn to 147)? Will you ignore the voice and push open the door immediately (turn to 286)? Or will you abandon the idea of going through this door, and instead look for a way out of the Library (turn to 27)?

perepelki fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 12, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
gently caress your admission fee, we're busting in.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah dont pay to go through doors

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Bustin makes me feel good!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Yeah 4 coins sounds like way too much to go through a door. Let’s saunter in

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

perepelki posted:

Will you push the door open and walk through the doorway (turn to 147)

perepelki posted:

Will you follow these instructions and put 4 Gold Pieces into the slot in the door, before going through the doorway (turn to 147)
the people who wanted to knock just made the options worse. brain a little harder next time morans
as a cyoa veteran im very disappointed in these greenhorns

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

let's bust

You place your hand on the door and push, but it will not budge. Determined to move it, you put your shoulder against the centre of the door - and as you do so the brass knocker descends on your head! Lose 1 points of Stamina. As you fall to the ground, clutching your throbbing cranium, you hear the low voice saying "You are a human warrior. You possess eight coins of gold. Please insert four coins into the slot and enter."

Will you pay the door its entrance fee of 4 Gold Pieces and then push it again (turn to 147), or will you abandon this painful door and look for a way out of the Library (turn to 27)?

great job everybody

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
286 push the door again. its gonna budge

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
gently caress the system, by the power of will alone you decide to turn to page 420

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i say we cut our losses and turn around 27 abandon your fascination with the forbidden door of mystery. only a fool would disagree

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Doesn’t the option to go back to 27 mean we can just open the door without paying?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
we havent been on 27 yet so there is no guarantee that we can ever return to the door

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Mozi posted:

gently caress the system, by the power of will alone you decide to turn to page 420
the book only goes up to 400. you have broken through the veil of the cosmos and glimpsed the face of the LORD

edit: please be aware that this particular book was ghost-written by peter darvill-evans and illustrated by tony hough

perepelki fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 13, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the spectral stalkers are more terrifying than i ever imagined

anyways i vote to pay the 4 gold i gotta get through that door

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
we need that 4 gold for candy

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

the spectral stalkers are more terrifying than i ever imagined

anyways i vote to pay the 4 gold i gotta get through that door

PAY IT AND GO!!!

and give the knocker a good polishing. (non-sexually)

gary oldmans diary posted:

we need that 4 gold for candy

There is probably more candy on the other side!!!!

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
yeah, pay

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

we agree to pay the door, having lost 1 stamina point and half our gold. please note that at any time we can eat some rations, using up 1 of our Provisions and gaining back 2 stamina points (up to our maximum, 18)

The door swings open and you step across the threshold into the room. Without warning, a bucket of water falls from the top of the door: you are drenched and the bucket strikes your head as it falls. Lose 1 Stamina point.

You shake the water out of your eyes and see that you are in a small room full of half-dismantled machines. A big man, so tall that he almost has to stoop in this low-ceilinged room, is leaning against a high-backed chair and laughing so much that his eyes are as full of water as yours.

"Oh dear, oh dear," he guffaws. "I didn't think anybody fell for that old bucket above the door trick these days. That's cheered me up no end! You look like a drowned rat! I'm Wayland, in case you're wondering, and you're obviously a visitor. Where do you hail from?"

Will you attack this sniggering practical joker (turn to 59) or will you restrain your anger and reply to his question (turn to 103)?

our stats
Skill: 9
Stamina: 17
Luck: 7
Trail: 0
Gold: 4
Provisions: 2

owned

perepelki fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 13, 2021

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this is dire. restrain your anger 103

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cast anal fissure

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

He’s clearly a cunning and dangerous adversary, 103

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

we make the ungoonly choice not to immediately kick this clown's rear end like he deserves

"You're from Khul?" says Wayland. "Khul, on the world of Titan? I know of it, of course. Primitive technology, compared to some worlds I could name, but an interesting place all the same. You are wet, aren't you? Sorry about that - I just can't resist a joke. Have a swig of this, it'll dry you out in no time."

Wayland's hand dwarfs the bottle that he offers you. If you accept this offer, turn to 356. If you decline to drink from the bottle, Wayland is not offended - turn to 175.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Chug a lug!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Drink

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
alcohol is the answer 356

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
No way, I'm not falling for the ol' piss potion trick. Refuse to drink.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

chug-a-lug

You put the bottle to your lips and take a mouthful of bitter liquid. Before you can spit it out, Wayland slaps you between the shoulder-blades and you swallow it.

"Wonderful stuff!" exclaims Wayland. "See? You're dry as a bone already."

He is right: somehow, the drink has evaporated the water that had been soaked into your clothes and hair.

"Keep the bottle; there's plenty more where that came from. It's called Siccator and one swig'll keep any liquid off your person. Might come in very handy if you come across any more practical jokers like me."

If you decide to keep the bottle, remember to note it on your Adventure Sheet.

Turn to 175.

i have added the siccator to our inventory. in the printed edition, there is a passage directly below this one where the siccator comes handy; but will i post it and spoil this magical adventure? absolutely not.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

"Well, sit yourself down!" says Wayland. "No! Not there! That's the Automatic Impaler. Sit over here. That's right. Now then: what can I be doing for you?"

You unwind the cloth that covers the small ball. Grey clouds are covering the ever-changing landscapes in the sphere, but Wayland recognises it instantly - and for several moments he sits open-mouthed in amazement.

"By my hammer and anvil!" he mutters at last. "And by all the microparticles in the Macrocosmos! It's the Aleph. The one and only sphere of all spheres! There in your hand, warrior, you own everything - everything that exists, everywhere. Except here in Limbo, of course. But everything else; everywhere else. Wise men have hunted this object since the birth of the universe. You should take it away from here; the Aleph cannot reside in Limbo. But I beg you, tell me how you came by it."

If you want to leave the Library in Limbo, Wayland allows you to return to the book-lined corridor - turn to 27. If you tell Wayland how you received the Aleph, turn to 267.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
tell him it fell off the back of a truck

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
he gave us da drink, tell him da story

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
Tell him the story

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
tell the tale 267

Mozi posted:

tell him it fell off the back of a truck
thats how i remember it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

we talk to the clown

Wayland listens to your story, then ponders silently for some time. "I'm an Artefact expert," he says at last. "And, strictly speaking, the Aleph isn't an Artefact. It's not anything, really, on account of it being everything, if you see what I mean. Be that as it may, your real problem is the Spectral Stalkers. This fellow Globus may be anxious to take delivery of this here Aleph, but clever folk have been looking for this item for more years than there are books in this library, and waiting a little longer won't hurt anybody. But those Spectral Stalkers, they don't sound as if they're inclined to wait. Once you're away from Limbo, use the Aleph to travel. It will take you where it wants to go. Keep moving and the Stalkers won't find you. Also, look for Signs and Portents. Round, the signs will be, like the Aleph itself. And if you don't understand them, let the Aleph take you to the sage Semeion Cryptoglophos: he'll explain them. But keep moving to escape danger. And now, you must leave Limbo."

Wayland points to a doorway engraved with the word EXIT. Dazed by his words, you step through it. Turn to 185.