Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Yes!

No!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Prettz posted:

ah yes, I remember failing all my college classes because it was the heyday of PC games and of PC game piracy

Here's how stupid I am. I paid for Starsiege: Tribes because i felt guilty for pirating it so hard for like 4 months

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I do not believe that is a real PC screenshot no matter how many times they tell me it’s real

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Xaintrailles posted:

It's the heyday of PC games right now. Better re-enroll.
I can't even imagine what this means

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I was 9 years old so I was probably watching Pokémon and DBZ

I begged my mom to buy a razor scooter and spent the summer of 2001 doing sick flips in our backyard

My brother got a pirated copy of HL from his friend and I remember both of us sitting there with our jaws dropped at how immersive it was, the microwave especially

It was pretty cool growing up in the 2000s because as a kid you were keeping up with the technology around you, and it was young enough to still be interesting and weird and gross and cool without the social conventions of today

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
n e 1 seen jeffk l8ly

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Cutscene, maybe

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember when that little plane flew into that building because of acne medication? Haha that poo poo was crazy. And everyone was like "oh nooo not again" but then it was just this tiny lovely plane that barely broke the office window lmao

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Mooey Cow posted:

Remember when that little plane flew into that building because of acne medication? Haha that poo poo was crazy. And everyone was like "oh nooo not again" but then it was just this tiny lovely plane that barely broke the office window lmao

This is the one that freaked me out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_587#:~:text=On%20November%2012%2C%202001%2C%20the,five%20people%20on%20the%20ground.

2 months after 9/11 and a passenger airliner falls out of the sky into a queens neighborhood because the tail fell off due to turbulence and the pilot's agressiveness with the rudder pedals.

Seemed like it was in the news for a day and a half a the time.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ehh

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Another notable William from 2001:

I got my driver's license that June. That allowed me to finally go to the movies on my own with my girlfriend at the time, get & be fired from my first job within a span of two weeks, and other milestones. Simpler times.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

BigBadSteve posted:

I hope Mr Hung had a huge dick so he could tell the ladies "My name is Hung and baby you better believe I'm HUNG."

Very 'naughties.'

Will “well” Hung

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

The Matrix is older than 9/11

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The matrix did 9/11

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gently caress the police

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else remember the early 2000s fashion trends?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I also have a weird nostalgia for early 2000s tech (I'm still mad TechTV went away, I watched it 24/7).

Like stuff was finally getting cool but was still new/exciting/innocent, like this portable video player:

Someone figured out how to stuff a hard drive into a shell with a screen on it. I remember wanting one of those SO BAD so I could watch The Simpsons wherever I went. It probably had 45 minute battery life.

Fun fact but places like Circuit City and Blockbuster were at their most profitable in the early 2000s. You'd think it would have been 80s or mid 90s or something but nope.

I also remember being really excited for this thing. I think it was like $400.

Also this was my first cell phone

It was so awesome having an affordable phone in your pocket. Now all of this technology stuff is trivial. I can't remember the last time I got excited for upcoming tech. It was probably whenever e-ink displays came out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Those Nokia bricks were drat near indestructible

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i remember as a kid i got to play with an apple newton (i think) and was totally blown away by being able to connect to the internet wirelessly

what a mistake that turned out to be!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I got a Nokia 3310 in 2001 and used it until 2018. Not because it broke or anything but i needed something with a camera and gps map. I still have it in a box :mrgw:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mooey Cow posted:

I got a Nokia 3310 in 2001 and used it until 2018. Not because it broke or anything but i needed something with a camera and gps map. I still have it in a box :mrgw:

Really? I tried to use mine in like 2010 and Verizon flat-out told me they wouldn't even let it on their network, like it wouldn't be possible or whatever.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Really? I tried to use mine in like 2010 and Verizon flat-out told me they wouldn't even let it on their network, like it wouldn't be possible or whatever.

It was probably the TDMA version which is an old network standard that’s been put to rest. GSM version would probably still work maybe (?)

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
on 9/11 day it was 8th grade and i was about to head to the bus stop but there was a big explosion and oh poo poo this thing is on fire oope here comes a second one

'alright lil grev let's get to school now'

i walked on down to the school bus, and none of the other kids watched the today show i guess since everyone was like 'huh what happened?'

and then i got to school, our bunk rear end school didn't have anything so i took a spiral notebook, and jammed it into a coaxial on the tv to get very limited over the air broadcasts for my first class of the day

and then later a kid told me russians sent nuclear weapons and we were gonna be dead in like a half hour, and i didn't really have any evidence that WASNT gonna happen, so i was scared but then we didn't die

i think that's pretty much my 2001 in a nutshell thanks for coming to my post everyone

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

It was probably the TDMA version which is an old network standard that’s been put to rest. GSM version would probably still work maybe (?)

I remember the big thing back then was to make sure you got a "tri-mode" cell phone for optimal reception.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I thought I would have a music career, lol

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

old beast lunatic posted:

This is the one that freaked me out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_587#:~:text=On%20November%2012%2C%202001%2C%20the,five%20people%20on%20the%20ground.

2 months after 9/11 and a passenger airliner falls out of the sky into a queens neighborhood because the tail fell off due to turbulence and the pilot's agressiveness with the rudder pedals.

Seemed like it was in the news for a day and a half a the time.

when this happened (or maybe it was the small plane one) I was 3 hours from home at this communal apartment some recently graduated high school friends had just gotten and we had spent all night smoking reefer and playing silent hill 2 on PS2 and crazy taxi on dreamcast then woke up to "oh poo poo 9/11 redux" for a couple hours until it was confirmed to be an accident and then I think we played street fighter 3 or something

do clubs still have industrial music night?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

edit: whoops, broken image

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Grevlek posted:

on 9/11 day it was 8th grade and i was about to head to the bus stop but there was a big explosion and oh poo poo this thing is on fire oope here comes a second one

'alright lil grev let's get to school now'

i walked on down to the school bus, and none of the other kids watched the today show i guess since everyone was like 'huh what happened?'

and then i got to school, our bunk rear end school didn't have anything so i took a spiral notebook, and jammed it into a coaxial on the tv to get very limited over the air broadcasts for my first class of the day

and then later a kid told me russians sent nuclear weapons and we were gonna be dead in like a half hour, and i didn't really have any evidence that WASNT gonna happen, so i was scared but then we didn't die

i think that's pretty much my 2001 in a nutshell thanks for coming to my post everyone

Our doomsday rumor was that they were gonna fly a plane into the Oak Ridge nuclear facility nearby and we were all gonna die. I remember noticing what a pretty day it was and telling everyone to just enjoy the day cause we were all doomed anyway. Oh and I really wanted to play my saxophone and have band class despite everyone watching the news because I wanted to just forget about what was happening and enjoy the day because watching the news is what the terrorists wanted. I still think I was right

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

time is fake imo

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

20 years ago since this came out, gently caress I'm feeling old.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gresh posted:

20 years ago since this came out, gently caress I'm feeling old.

I remember skipping school to go see this in theater.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Zil posted:

I remember skipping school to go see this in theater.

paging Trypa to the thread

hey dude, remember when my mom took us both out of school for a dentist appointment, so we could go see a Star Wars???

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

got the first mp3 player, in 2000 not 2001, but in 2001 I was still showing it off whenever I saw someone with a minidisc player. I still have it in a drawer, cause it's that cool.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Can smell this photo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

got the first mp3 player, in 2000 not 2001, but in 2001 I was still showing it off whenever I saw someone with a minidisc player. I still have it in a drawer, cause it's that cool.

My brother's friend had this, it was $299 and held nine songs. Literally nine songs.

I thought it was neat but thought it was kind of pointless until it could hold at least as much as a CD.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

:lol::lol:ross:lol::lol:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My brother's friend had this, it was $299 and held nine songs. Literally nine songs.

I thought it was neat but thought it was kind of pointless until it could hold at least as much as a CD.

I think even with the earliest ones you could fit a whole CD as long as you kept the bitrate pretty low

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
please enjoy my photographs from 2001

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
here's one

Only registered members can see post attachments!