Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Do offhand weapons dps matters or are they stat sticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

BadLlama posted:

How do you get better harvesting and crafting discs?

As drops from harvesting/crafting. If you are using the vendor bought discs your first spot is wild lands or sky point for green versions.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Doggir posted:

Unfortunately no, the chat system is awful currently

Well that really sucks.
Fighting two npc's killing one then moving onto the next one which is right next to the dead one always brings up the loot options and thats annoying.

Also: How in the hell do you have J Todd coleman, Gordon Walton, and Josef Hall and between the three of them they cant make a simple chat system?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

BadLlama posted:

How do you get better harvesting and crafting discs?

Harvest in PvP areas, craft( gotta have the respective disc equipped)

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

malhavok posted:

Do offhand weapons dps matters or are they stat sticks?

Damage on offhands don't matter. But weapon weight and stats do.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Oh no idea that was how you got them, guess I haven't done enough farming though as I haven't got any so far.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

Tempus Thales posted:

its a tit for tat now, because neither group is massive... play with the one you like best...

I mean... its goons. I hate you all, and myself, equally.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Tempus Thales posted:

Inglorious Goonterds hang out at https://guilded.gg/badgamescrew. We are in the process of go into a purple level of crafting and gear... and we have a massive EK, with a bunch of land and some vendors selling stuff. If anyone wants to get a piece of that just hop in Guilded and @thantos911 and he will hook you up.

Joined, I'll play later today. I got my blue mining disc last night but now I am broke again.

Can I buy EK plots in game or just off the store? E: ooof that's expensive. If I want to get a vendor somewhere is there a goon island?

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 16, 2021

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

BadLlama posted:

Oh no idea that was how you got them, guess I haven't done enough farming though as I haven't got any so far.

You have to have an intermediate gathering tool equipped to have a chance at green disciplines dropping.

Might want to check this Beginners Guide to Gathering.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Doggir posted:

Now for Dregs you need to be a ranked guild for that world to export what you mined or did they change that?

The current campaigns have unlimited exports. if you put your items into your world bank, you should be able to extract them via the lobby vault. there will be a list of world banks on the right side.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Anias posted:

The current campaigns have unlimited exports. if you put your items into your world bank, you should be able to extract them via the lobby vault. there will be a list of world banks on the right side.

Cool I kinda thought the no exports thing was a little extreme. Needs to be a point for the losers to keep playing.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
Oi, goons, what server are yall on? I'm looking for find a clan

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

nazutul posted:

Oi, goons, what server are yall on? I'm looking for find a clan

You can move between servers and I don’t think anyone’s organizing anything on dregs yet so I’d just get ready apply to the guild and hop on discord 😊

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Having to wait 20 seconds to logout while in the earth temple is a little annoying, is there a faster way to switch characters?

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

apseudonym posted:

Joined, I'll play later today. I got my blue mining disc last night but now I am broke again.

Can I buy EK plots in game or just off the store? E: ooof that's expensive. If I want to get a vendor somewhere is there a goon island?

You can get some plots from the cash shop otherwise they are crafted using a lot of materials.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Nunes posted:

You can get some plots from the cash shop otherwise they are crafted using a lot of materials.

I got one, it was definitely a lot of mats

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
It seems like frostguard isn't a very popular class, but i've had a lot of success with one that I built. Its both really good at joining random faction wars groups because it can contribute a ton while surviving a huge amount of damage. Its also good at farming up gold because you just pull the entire npc camp at once.

I'm really happy with the disc choices (you could swap out subvert for spirit whip or stay in the fight), the play style is kinda weird though. You basically make it rain and explode ice stuff at the same time and then you either ult or bandage though incoming damage while your teammates/aoe/auras do work. Crystal lance causes anyone below 40% hp to take a bazillion damage and is really funny.

https://crowcaine.wiki/build/j9s1mQgpIE7QHxPAYWKk

I swapped "cold to the touch" for "free weaving" in my personal version, not sure yet if its the way to go but it does solve some mana issues I had.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 19, 2021

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I just spent the last half hour running around looking at all the vendors on one of the big marketplace EK servers and found absolutely nothing that I want to purchase. The idea of loading up another server to check the vendors there is so unappealing I am genuinely considering just shelving the game.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Comrayn posted:

I just spent the last half hour running around looking at all the vendors on one of the big marketplace EK servers and found absolutely nothing that I want to purchase. The idea of loading up another server to check the vendors there is so unappealing I am genuinely considering just shelving the game.

I like the idea of EK's but EKs as a vendor system just imports my least favorite part of shadowbane. I don't want to randomly visit towns until I find a useful item. Honestly, even with an api and a website that let you search items for sale it would still be annoying. I feel like selling items isn't something that needs to be reinvented in this game.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Should be a zone like the dregs free city in gods reach.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

malhavok posted:

Should be a zone like the dregs free city in gods reach.

Honestly, an actual auction house is the sustainable thing. The free city is likely fine for dregs, but if they want the game to scale it won't work for the persistent campaign

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

Honestly, an actual auction house is the sustainable thing. The free city is likely fine for dregs, but if they want the game to scale it won't work for the persistent campaign

I think they are going to be extremely reluctant to take away one of the few actual uses of EK's, without vendors they'd be utterly pointless.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The thing that bothers me is that EKs comprise maybe a kilobyte of actual information and yet they take minutes to come online and almost a minute to load into.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

The thing that bothers me is that EKs comprise maybe a kilobyte of actual information and yet they take minutes to come online and almost a minute to load into.

I'm sure its literally getting an aws instance because it takes almost exactly the same amount of time

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lorem ipsum posted:

I'm sure its literally getting an aws instance because it takes almost exactly the same amount of time

its not, they keep a pool-ish of aws instances going with a number of player slots on each one (usually 2000 right now), and allocate like 8 slots for your EK or 108 slots for your EK to it

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

its not, they keep a pool-ish of aws instances going with a number of player slots on each one (usually 2000 right now), and allocate like 8 slots for your EK or 108 slots for your EK to it

I mean thats more sane but if that is the case *why does it* take so long to spin up an EK? Surely it can't take that long to read the database

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lorem ipsum posted:

I mean thats more sane but if that is the case *why does it* take so long to spin up an EK? Surely it can't take that long to read the database

i'm going to point out that this game is basically engineered around individual https calls for almost everything you do, read, interact with

also it's json

you get sent maps in json over https

the zone keys look oddly like mongodb (24 char hex, key named _id), though uncertain

Impotence fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 21, 2021

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

i'm going to point out that this game is basically engineered around individual https calls for almost everything you do, read, interact with

also it's json

the zone keys look oddly like mongodb (24 char hex, key named _id), though uncertain

I do not know what any of this means but it sounds like its bad?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Patch day?

--
General

The gold dropped from level 1-25 Wartribe NPCs has been reduced. Some New Player Experience quests have had additional gold rewards added to compensate for this
Improved Server stability
Adjusted the darkness of heavy rain during Fall
--

Thank god they adjusted the darkness of heavy rain fall. That light rain was a deal breaker for me...

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
God that dumb newbie quest gives you so much poo poo but I'm sick of running it after doing it twice and getting VIP. So much stuff though.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

malhavok posted:

God that dumb newbie quest gives you so much poo poo but I'm sick of running it after doing it twice and getting VIP. So much stuff though.

I am sure nothing bad will happen as a result of having character creation generate wealth with a static set of inputs.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

malhavok posted:

Vip?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Yeah, gets you a free boost to 25 on every character so you don't need to run the quest.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Anias posted:

I am sure nothing bad will happen as a result of having character creation generate wealth with a static set of inputs.

Its a very insignificant amount of stuff

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

Its a very insignificant amount of stuff

More than you'd get farming outside the dregs in the same amount of time though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

also it's json

This isn't really a problem at all though (except to the extent that tcp and udp tend to interfere with each other, but it's not a problem outside combat). Again, this is like 1kb when a menu opens. If you've used a website in the last 10 years, this is how they work.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm actually not even sure they still interfere with each other, a lot of that kind of video game development lore is based on like "John Carmack said this to my mentors mentors mentor at SIGGRAPH 94"

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

I'm actually not even sure they still interfere with each other, a lot of that kind of video game development lore is based on like "John Carmack said this to my mentors mentors mentor at SIGGRAPH 94"

Yea, I don't know what you mean by "interfere" but there isn't a technical reason why you can't use both protocols. There are good reasons why you wouldn't use TCP for realtime stuff in videogames but there isn't a reason why you wouldn't use both.

Basically, if the game works as described, its kinda lazy but not really problematic (its def not a optimized way to do it but we are talking like millisecond delays not seconds). I suspect they are using a lot of third party stuff to build their game and something in there is just slow.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Some quick notes for everyone coming to grips with gathering and crafting and other stuff:

1. Get the grey discipline rune asap, since it lets you equip runestone tools needed to get the next tier one.

2. The aforementioned green rune drops from harvesting rank 5 and above nodes in PVP zones. For crafting, it is a random drop from making completed items- not components.

3. Making potions and kebab skewers for your harvesting should be standard procedure.

4. Killing thrall souls (blue ghost guys at night) gets you minor runes and soul fragments which are worth snagging.

5. Killing elite mobs (animals and monsters) has a chance to drop special crafting gear for certain recipes. Get 'em whenever you can.

Edit: Restating this since people are missing it and it is not stated clearly: if you have VIP you can leve to 25 and/or respec for free at the gaea tree in the Earth temple in God's Reach.

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Capntastic posted:

4. Killing thrall souls (blue ghost guys at night) gets you minor runes and soul fragments which are worth snagging.

AFAIK only elites and better actually drop runes. The ones in the dregs can drop major rune fragments