Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Maybe a bit shamefully, i've been down this rabbit hole and hard panning isn't enough to kill the bells - even on the mythically rare italian 45 issue with a slightly different mix. I don't think you could've faked it back in the day with L-R phase poo poo without loads of artifacts and the rest of the mix sounding messed up. waveform editing software is probably at the point that you could do a convincing digital fake but biz has been bragging about having it since like the 90s, and yes, even occasionally playing it out in his insane career of DJing jewish basketball conventions and shriner gatherings and such. his story was it came in a promotional CTI (the label Bob James was on) briefcase with other promo materials - hence it could've been a test pressing or prerelease with a botched mix. at least one other CTI briefcase has surfaced to my knowledge (sans record) so the story is at least plausible. Thes' version was some hand labelled quarter inch reel to reel tape from a TV source in LA so it wasn't the same as what Biz had.

No, you’re absolutely right. All the “so-called” Biz versions I’ve heard still have faint (and terrible) artifacts of the bells, whereas the Biz actually DJing it video I posted doesn’t have any trace of the bells and sounds clean. Love that little “Nautilus” at the end thrown in.

Good info about the CTI briefcase. I didn’t know about that :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

You Are A Elf posted:

No, you’re absolutely right. All the “so-called” Biz versions I’ve heard still have faint (and terrible) artifacts of the bells, whereas the Biz actually DJing it video I posted doesn’t have any trace of the bells and sounds clean. Love that little “Nautilus” at the end thrown in.

Good info about the CTI briefcase. I didn’t know about that :respek:

The tricky thing to remember is they would've recorded all the percussion, if not the entire track, with the full compliment of bob and his session players, so SOME bleed through on the drum kit mics wouldn't be out of the ordinary. But it'd be low and consistent, not piecemeal and artifacty. But yeah Biz' versions have always sounded pretty clean when i've seen somebody like filming him spinning it in a live set at the cigar aficionado annual players ball or whatever insane show he's playing.

To those wishing to celebrate his rap career, sorry for the nerdy sidetrack. But it's significant to mention his multi decade career of DJing like, rare funk and Saturday morning cartoon theme songs to the weirdest gig audiences you can imagine and KILLING IT getting young mall crowds and decrepit businessmen alike starting soul train lines to loving thundercats or E.R Sanctified Jones or whatever.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I wish I knew where it was but I used to have a tape recording of Biz on a live radio show with I think Big Daddy Kane and he was just being loving hilarious and had everyone in the studio laughing their rear end off. It’s like a solid half an hour of guys laughing and it’s captivating to listen to. Like Biz would start to do ‘just a friend’ and gently caress it up on purpose over and over. Might be worth digging through my box of tapes to try and find it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Ralph Hurley posted:

I wish I knew where it was but I used to have a tape recording of Biz on a live radio show with I think Big Daddy Kane and he was just being loving hilarious and had everyone in the studio laughing their rear end off. It’s like a solid half an hour of guys laughing and it’s captivating to listen to. Like Biz would start to do ‘just a friend’ and gently caress it up on purpose over and over. Might be worth digging through my box of tapes to try and find it.

Man I wanna hear this!! If you still got it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I heard this LONG before I heard the real "Just a Friend", and as a result I thought the real "Just a Friend" was meant to make fun of Mario's version.