Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the OP a dipshit?
Yes
No
View Results

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i use save states, codes, rewind, fast forward. no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

all games should have a fast forward button

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Caesar Saladin posted:

your posts should have a fast forward button

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Big Scary Owl posted:

Re Battletoads: I can't believe that there is a hoverbike segment where the barriers don't even flash. They are just there and I can't even react to them in time

VIDEO GAMES

The level after the hover bikes is near unbeatable because play testers couldn't past the hover bike level lol

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Monster Train has a button that controls the speed of the game and its absolutely amazing, 10/10, every game should have a button like that.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Games that don't have cheat codes suck rear end and are bad

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Getting too used to save states can also make games harder. You can also screw yourself over if you get so used to save states that you don't save normally, save-state in really bad places and have no normal save to fall back on.
Definitely not something that happened to me a couple times back when I used to do a lot of emulation.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hbag posted:

your posts should have a fast forward button

wish i could load a save state before i got owned

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I don't do save states purely because if a game needs it I consider it not worth my time. I have no want to prove to myself I can beat a game like that, I'd rather play something more fun.

Conversely I refuse to save before important plot points and mission decisions in games in case I pick the "wrong one" because who loving cares. If I don't get the extra Gun of +1 I don't give a gently caress unless the game is literally broken due to it. And then see the first paragraph. Save when you need to, then pick responses or whatever based on whim. gently caress optimal play.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I'll loving quick save before every battle in total war and reload if I lose a battle I think I can win. Listen pal, I am not a good player and if this army falls it will cause a catastrophic domino effect that will topple the empire I've spent 100 turns carefully managing so I can build the biggest toys and play with them.

I ain't gonna lose all that just because I'm pretty bad at this game I enjoy.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Getting too used to save states can also make games harder. You can also screw yourself over if you get so used to save states that you don't save normally, save-state in really bad places and have no normal save to fall back on.
Definitely not something that happened to me a couple times back when I used to do a lot of emulation.

oh no anything but that

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Re Battletoads: I can't believe that there is a hoverbike segment where the barriers don't even flash. They are just there and I can't even react to them in time

VIDEO GAMES

If you got to that segment run directly into wall #10 and you'll warp to the surf zone

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

ElectricSheep posted:

If you got to that segment run directly into wall #10 and you'll warp to the surf zone

Interesting let me try that

edit: I missed it, saw the sparkles but it was too late. But I'm getting to that part pretty consistently now without dying

edit 2: :bang:

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 4, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I recently managed to beat the first Castlevania without scumming or finding the break the game strats.

Incredibly satisfying.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
your right OP, who needs saves states when modern emulators have rewind function turning every game into prince of persia :smug:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Anyone playing The Ascent?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hbag posted:

i think he'll ask if he needs your help

lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not using save states means you are courageous, but only in video games. this is far less useful in daily life than you might expect.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

not using save states means you are courageous, but only in video games. this is far less useful in daily life than you might expect.

i use save states in real life

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Save states are totally for cowards but being a coward is awesome.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i live my life one playthrough at a time

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

*reloads the save state from before OP signed up to these forums*

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

ben shapino posted:

*reloads the save state from before OP signed up to these forums*

"who the hell is Lowtax and AAtrek and why do they have stars next to their names?"

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I took a break and returned to Battletoads now and I did it fuckers, I got past the hoverbike level:

Now I'll get owned here and die probably

edit: yep i got owned i'll try again tomorrow

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 4, 2021

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i'm more into YOU'VE LOST A LOT OF TIMES TO THIS BOSS YOU loving LOSER WOULD YOU LIKE TO SKIP THIS SECTION loving IMPOTENT PUSSY states

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

When I first got ff7 I didn’t have a memory card so I just left my PlayStation on for like a month

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

rap music posted:

When I first got ff7 I didn’t have a memory card so I just left my PlayStation on for like a month

Me and my bro did that for Gran Turismo 1, just left the psone running all weekend. The first night, it crashed, and we had to restart all the license unlocks again. We got back to the later levels, went out to get food, and when we got back his roommate had turned the console off because he thought we had forgotten to.

loving memory cards.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

rap music posted:

i had a memory card for my gamecube but the laser disc reader mcjigger stopped working. I realized that the entirety of animal crossing loaded into memory so as soon as i could finangle it to read the disc i never turned the console off. for like 4 months.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

rap music posted:

I did a similar thing with my Dreamcast, but it wasn't a month just a couple of days. VMUs were expensive (Brazil) so I never had one. I did manage to beat Donald Duck Goin' Quackers and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command :hai:

I wanted to beat Resident Evil Code Veronica like this too but whenever you inserted disc 2 it would ask for a complete disc 1 save file :smith:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Robin Williams posted:

If you paid for a game you should be able to play it however you want.

Wizard/God Mode, Ability to save where/whenever, should just come standard on all games.

if you insist on pretending you're part of some community that upholds the real rules of play, that's your fault.

I tend to agree. I found a simple trick to turn Fallout 4 into a fun game instead of a disapointing one.

Press the tilde key and type in these commands as soon as you leave the vault.
"player.setlevel 15"
"player. setav carryweight 3000"

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Big Scary Owl posted:

You can't prove me wrong

*pretends to push you off a cliff but actually pulls you into my arms* saved your state lol

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Weird that someone would correlate bravery with videogames but okay.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Videogames have to be played legitimately or you won't feel like you really have the skills to beat them! You're just a poser!

Yeah, okay, I'm gonna pose my way to making this dumb game fun. And then instead of practicing and perfecting a game I shall instead... Not :smug:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Look, if I want to play XBOX by placing it on the top of my home theater stack and then mounting it from the top until every last piece of electronics is inside my body and my rear end cheeks are flush with the floor, that's my right as an American citizen and don't you try and tell me the "right" way to play video games.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

not a checkbox poll, op is a coward

Them days are gone.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Weird that someone would correlate bravery with videogames but okay.

Tell it to the Gauntlet announcer.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Part of growing up is realizing that Battletoads is sort of a bowl of dogshit diarrhea.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

rap music posted:

did this with super mario 3 in order to beat it before discovering warp whistles

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Battletoads is fine. It's just kind of half of a memory tester game. Now that you've done the hover bike area, you'll probably do it every time without even dying or thinking hard about it. It probably tests your memory even more than your reflexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

some bust on that guy posted:

Battletoads is fine. It's just kind of half of a memory tester game. Now that you've done the hover bike area, you'll probably do it every time without even dying or thinking hard about it. It probably tests your memory even more than your reflexes.

yup. i played it again a year or two ago, a decade+ after i took the time to learn the bike section, and i can still do it pretty much flawlessly. i couldn't possibly write down the order though