Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Chinatown posted:

A few metal shows at The Roxy on the sunset strip.

Slayer in a smallish venue.

Every Meshuggah concert Ive seen.

:blastu:

I saw Slayer at the Big Four show at Yankee Stadium. That show, while not outright bad, was shockingly boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Chinatown posted:

A few metal shows at The Roxy on the sunset strip.

Slayer in a smallish venue.

Every Meshuggah concert Ive seen.

:blastu:

I've gotten more compliments on the Slayer tote bag I bought at their show here in Albany like 8 years ago than anything else ever. It's still in perfect condition too.

edit: made in usa too

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 7, 2022

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

I saw Slayer at the Big Four show at Yankee Stadium. That show, while not outright bad, was shockingly boring.

probably because the new yankee stadium is the most bland stadium ive ever visited

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Chinatown posted:

probably because the new yankee stadium is the most bland stadium ive ever visited

Seems like it would be a terrible venue for any band, really

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Best: The Airborne Toxic Event at the Crystal Ballroom. Small, standing venue and they put on a hell of a show. Saw them a second time at the same venue and aside from the white fro lady on acid and flailing directly in front of me, it was also a stellar show. I got hit by her fro more than her arms, thankfully.

Worst: Probably when Fallout Boy played a New Year's event at Nickelodeon? We were trying to work, it was loud as gently caress, and then when we went to go look at the concert from our 4th floor balcony, we got yelled at to get out of the shot. Why the gently caress were you filming anything that high up and facing the stage?

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
Best: I saw Muse in a small theatre at Ball State College sometime before 2010. They had lights hooked up to a piano. The tickets were cheap, I was high as poo poo and it was awesome.

Worst: I saw Nine Inch Nails in St. Louis and the show was good (Queens of the Stone Age opened) but I had a horrible sinus headache the entire time. Half-way through NIN's set the lights in the arena came on, but were quickly turned off.

Honorable Mention: Some asshat spit on my head at a Depeche Mode show.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

best: radiohead, probably hail to the thief tour because it was the first big amphitheater event i ever went to. also it was at that time in life where i was first experiencing true adult freedom, able to just go to an event out of town with friends and do whatever and stay out as long as we wanted. i remember having a good time, but also distinctly felt the intense commercial-ness of the whole experience, which was i guess pretty fitting for the themes of that radiohead era.

i don’t even know what the worst would be. i’ve been to local shows for local bands where the sound was garbage or the band was just bad, but i don’t even remember names anymore.

I haven’t been to that many concerts, definitely less than once per year. it’s just not really my thing. tightly packed crowds, loud on the verge of painful sounds, and barely being able to hear the people you’re with. i understand why some people might enjoy that type of raw energy shared experience, and i feel like i should, but i just don’t.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Chinatown posted:

haljordan posted:

Seems like it would be a terrible venue for any band, really

A little of column A, a little of column B.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Best: Pink Floyd, mid-90s. Most spectacular show I've ever seen. Light show, lasers, special effects, sound mix was perfect, etc.

Worst: Pink Floyd, mid-90s. With all the technical precision required to go with the production, there was absolutely no room for any sort of improvisation or deviation. The musicianship was mechanical and boring. Why were they even there? They could simply have played a recording to go with the light show.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Worst: an Oasis tribute band at an over-21s nightclub me and my friend managed to blag our way into when we about 15 years old. They where utter poo poo, fully got what we deserved tbh. A group of dudes also threatened to beat me up when I accidentally turned their fruit machine off, losing them £5 or whatever (I was trying to reset the one my mate was playing on but the plugs where crossed over)

best was some charity rock festival at a big local music pub/venue where tons of thrash metal bands turned up and the pub became 2 floors, a basement and a massive garden of utter chaos. The pub was also in a crumbling, derelict industrial estate which added to the vibes.

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

Best was Primus on or about 2017. They played for like two and a half hours and it was one of the only shows I've ever been happy to have an assigned seat for. The bass reverberated through the concrete amphitheatre and I could feel it in all parts of my body.

Worst was probably Silversun Pickups/Zella Day in 2021, but I'm not 100% convinced it was their fault. What with feeling weird being at an indoor concert and spending the previous 2 years being a drunk and getting fat.

Honorable mention goes to Vader/Nile in 2004. Great show, even though Nile started late because the guitarist spent 45 minutes standing on stage restarting his laptop again and again.

I'm not counting the unremembered quantity of punk shows in strange locations, some were great and some were crap but I can't recall most of the band names. There was a summer when someone kicked in the door to a disused hangar on this tiny airfield outside of town and put on concerts. Some of the most violent mosh pits I've ever encountered.

Lobotomy Bob fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 7, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Nthing Garbage being awful live. Saw them open for the Pumpkins in ‘96 and it was just nails on chalkboard noise.

I saw The Killers during the Sam’s Town era and they were really good but they also had good songs back then.

I’ve seen Silversun Pickups twice and both shows were good although the small venue show was way better. Cage The Elephant opened the large venue show and they were pretty good although not my usual thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Best concert I've ever been to was probably for a band called Cuddle Magic in some random Rhode Island church about 8-9 years ago. The acoustics in the space were incredible and each part came through so clearly. I don't think too many people have probably heard of them so I'll post my favorite song of theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Jer8XwAbU

Worst concert I've ever been to was The Low Anthem sometime in 2016. The mix was so distorted you couldn't hear poo poo, the lead singer just mumbled a bunch of incomprehensible babble into the mic and they spent 15 minutes onstage trying to tune an antique music box that they used for like one song.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 7, 2022

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Best

I went by myself to see Soundgarden. At that point I've been playing poker and been a loner for years. So I was stupid enough to wear a low heel to the Arena.

Halfway through I had to work my way down to the floor cross over and up to the other side so the other side of my head would get the pounding It was so loud.

It was good but why it was the best was coincidentally 2 concerts later they broke up for good

It's also the last concert I have ever been to.

Worst had to be a Deep Purple concert that I went to. I didn't even care about the band, they were ancient even then lol and I got stoned and just laid down on the bleacher seats way up high telling my best friend I was too baked to move. She was so pissed at me

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Worst was seeing Hawthorne Heights open for Hopesfall, like it felt like a joke

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I saw The Killers during the Sam’s Town era and they were really good but they also had good songs back then.

They opened for Stellastar in a local dive bar here, and my wife is all about the synthwavy sounding stuff so we went to go see them. The Killers came on, they were pretty drat good and when they got to "Somebody told me" the singer said "We're going to play our soon to be hit. Hope you like it."

There was maybe 11 of us in the bar for the whole show. A month or two later they were playing arenas. Both bands played like they were in front of hundreds. Big energy and no disappointment. For 11 freaking people.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 7, 2022

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

com truise and strfkr was pretty sweet in 2016. strfkr did a pretty great encore where they dressed up as astronauts. my favorite show though was probably homeshake. we got a two seater private opera booth, the absolute best way to watch a show. after that i got completely nude and proposed to my girlfriend. she said yes :)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Best: Prince @ The Roundhouse

The queue stretched all the way to Camden Lock, everyone was hype as gently caress and he was amaaaaaaaaaazing, and looked like he was having so much loving fun. After hearing stories his joints were hosed and he was in constant pain, he was like some kind of dancing, playing ninja god on stage. He did two encores I think before telling us we had to go because he was doing two gigs that night and people were waiting outside for their turn. Just loving magic.

Honourable mentions to the Manics @ The Astoria (final gig as four piece before Richey hosed off), Sleater-Kinney @ The Roundhouse (road to Damascus poo poo, loving amazing night), Hinds @ The Scala (just pure joy), and La Femme @ some tiny, airless basement bunker in Stoke Newington (just incredible, unintelligible French surf-synth rock with a wall of keyboards and everyone going mental).

Worst: honestly can’t recall the band (maybe Merchandise?) but not their fault, it was because the Highbury Garage had (has) an absolutely dogshit sound system, like listening to vinyl on a Fisher Price record player plugged into a speaker fashioned out of a taxidermied cat’s rear end.

Honourable mention to Michael Jackson @ Wembley (Dangerous era, boring af but my mom and her mate had a bunch of tickets so got dragged along), and Manflu’s album launch @ the Slimelight, I think. The sound quality was so loving bad that the band immediately broke up out of shame.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Sentinel Red posted:

the Manics @ The Astoria (final gig as four piece before Richey hosed off)

:aaa: I'm now insanely jealous of you

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm not sure if I've been to a concert that I would consider bad. I haven't been to tons and tons of concerts, but I've never been to one where there were say, sound problems, or a band member(s) had tantrums on the stage, or the show started really late or anything like that. I've never regretted paying whatever I paid for any show I've been to thus far, though I kinda wish that I remembered one show that I went to. Saw the Beastie Boys back in summer of 98 at Molson Park in Barrie Ontario, *from what I remember* it was a pretty good show, but I was so fuckin baked that I don't remember much of the show.

Probably the best would have been one of the (3) times I saw Roger Waters perform The Wall. Once in 2010, and then twice when he came back around for it in 2012(?).

Speaking of shows, going to see Joan Jett, Poison, Def Leppard and Motley Crue tomorrow. Anyone been to a show on this tour? How was it?

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Prince and GG Allin are the two shows that I wish I could have gone to. I still really want to see The Cure as well as Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Best: Death Grips. I've seen them 3 times and what an experience.

Worst: Drab Majesty. This dude started an hour late and he ended up quitting half way through his set because some of the equipment that he brought wasn't working as intended. This was probably the only show that I've been to where it made me dislike the music more after the whole experience.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Best:

- Neutral Milk Hotel: I caught them during the 2014 tour and it was like a goddamn religious experience. It honestly wasn't the best performance, but it was fun and the crowd was so into it that it didn't matter. I listened to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea from start to finish and halfway through again literally every school day for two straight years while riding on the bus, and this concert was something I thought I'd never get to experience.

- Hop Along: My current favorite band has come through town twice since I moved here, and both shows have been electric in little venues. I even got to meet Frances Quinlan after the first show, which was super cool.

- Tommy Emmanuel: I went to a concert for guitarist Andy McKee and then learned that McKee was actually opening for this guy who I hadn't heard of. Well, goddamn if he's not literally one of the greatest living guitarists in the world. On a pure live music level, I think this was the best one by a mile.

Worst:

- Lupe Fiasco: About 20 minutes into a great show, he told a woman near the front to put her phone down. A minute later when she took it back out, he took out his phone and did the rest of the concert looking at his phone. I kind of respect the power move but also it made for a real poo poo concert.

- Modest Mouse: Isaac Brock seemed drunk or otherwise medicated, and not in a fun way. Just kind of slurring through songs, not a lot of energy. This was another one of my favorite bands when I was a teenager, so that sucked.

Honorable mention:

- The two ladies in their late 30s who were obviously fingering each other in the pew across from me at a José González concert.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 7, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

:aaa: I'm now insanely jealous of you

Hah, to rub it in even more, it was blind luck that I went at all. Had left school and gotten some crappy job and we were having our Christmas party nearby. I saw touts outside on the way in, was bored of the work do by 8 so I bounced, coughed up for a ticket and went in. The Chemicals were DJing (still known as The Dust Brothers at the time before the US ones complained), got a nice spot upstairs little knowing the importance of the night.

And yeah, it was fantastic, all the old favs plus *that* new album. They trashed the gently caress out everything at the end, James smashed his guitar and Richey launched himself like a loving cruise missile at the drum kit. And that was the end of that.

Went back to the party and told everyone I’d seen god in band form, threw up on the bus home. A+, would recommend.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Best was The Blue Meanies playing "Pave The World" at the Ska Against Racism Tour. It was amazing how they grabbed the room and every other band on the tour came out and filled the stage so that everyone was screaming the chorus at the end. It was apocalyptic.

Worst (non Yo La Tengo category): Their label put a ton of money behind Rocket From The Crypt and they moved from their usual venue at Nick's to The Troc. The band came out and played so loud and violently that no one clapped after the first song. Just dead silence. They pummeled the audience into submission. The sound dude mixed the show so loud that every song just sounded like RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR at the same tempo song after song after song. It was boring but it must've sounded great through the monitors because the band was really into it.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

surf rock posted:

Best:
- Neutral Milk Hotel: I caught them during the 2014 tour and it was like a goddamn religious experience.

Same, they were great.

On the topic of Dylan, I saw him twice and got both experiences. First time was rock solid, he was playing instruments and really on his game. A couple years later he was the rhythm-less goblin everyone describes

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Also I finally got to see the Melvins on their tour with Red Kross pre-covid. Buzz is a force of nature

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Oh also because I'm old I saw Fleetwood Mac (before they kicked out Lindsey Buckingham) and man did they loving kill it

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
okay I was wrong earlier, like hawthrone heights were garbage but I didn't expect any different and was not remotely there for them

The worst show I've been to was seeing Say Anything in 2016 or so when they were on tour with a string quartet. When I saw them Modern Baseball and Cymbals Eat Guitars (who I loving love and I was mainly there for) were the openers. Modern Baseball took forever getting set up and breaking their poo poo down after but like they were fresh out of high school so whatever. Cymbals Eat Guitars only got like 20 minutes to play so they were only able to do a couple songs before getting forced off stage by the venue staff. Then... nothing for an hour. When Say Anything finally got on stage Max was too drunk to perform, he would sing like every third line from the song and spent the rest of the time stumbling around the stage and hanging off the guitarists making it hard for them to play. The string quartet looked pissed off. I walked out after three songs, I've never walked out of a show before but holy poo poo that was bad

then cymbals eat guitars broke up soon after and I was very sad because the one time I go to see them they barely got any time on stage and they still rank as one of my favorites

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Revins posted:

The string quartet looked pissed off.

Good indie band name

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Skeleton Ape posted:

Also I finally got to see the Melvins on their tour with Red Kross pre-covid. Buzz is a force of nature

I saw them when Big Business was officially part of the band and it was :discourse:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I saw Converge once (opening for another act that I forget) and it was oddly terrible. The lead singer announced how many songs they had left after EVERY number.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Sentinel Red posted:

Hah, to rub it in even more, it was blind luck that I went at all. Had left school and gotten some crappy job and we were having our Christmas party nearby. I saw touts outside on the way in, was bored of the work do by 8 so I bounced, coughed up for a ticket and went in. The Chemicals were DJing (still known as The Dust Brothers at the time before the US ones complained), got a nice spot upstairs little knowing the importance of the night.

And yeah, it was fantastic, all the old favs plus *that* new album. They trashed the gently caress out everything at the end, James smashed his guitar and Richey launched himself like a loving cruise missile at the drum kit. And that was the end of that.

Went back to the party and told everyone I’d seen god in band form, threw up on the bus home. A+, would recommend.

gently caress now I'm even more jealous!

Context for other goons not in the know about the Manic Street Preachers, they did £26,000 worth of damage to the stage (they broke the Astoria's lighting rig) and their instruments that night, then a month later on February 1st 1995 Richey vanished off the face of the earth and nobody's seen him since

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Best: Slayer w/ Lamb of God (2007ish)
The pit was so loving fun. I also saw what looked like a 12 year girl running the circle pit without a care in the world. So happy. Not 5 minutes later me and a friend yanked out a 40 year old guy who was clearly concussed. He immediately wandered right back into the pit despite our efforts to stop him. Some girl felt me up and another friend broke her wrist despite us warning her dumbass to stay away from the pit area since she knew she already had a fractured wrist before we showed up.

Tie for Best: Rage Against the Machine (2022)
Their recent concert was absolutely awesome. We were the last show Zach was able to walk before he tweeked his leg mid-show. Didn't matter, all their poo poo slapped hard as gently caress.

Worst: Gucci Mane (2018)
These fuckin tickets were like $200 a piece and this rear end in a top hat performs for only 20 minutes on top of being an hour late. Most of that time was his wife and whoever the hell bouncing around the stage staring at their phones while he half rear end performed over a vocal track.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Best: Reverend Horton Heat, like every song he played was a ripper and I was dancing my rear end off. He can play the poo poo out of a guitar and Jimbo is awesome on slap bass. Unfortunately turned out later he's some kind of chud or semi-chud, but the band still put on the best live show I've ever seen. Although, at times it felt like he wasn't really "feeling the crowd" and was kind of just going through a career retrospective of his greatest hits.

Worst: The Claypool Lennon Delirium. Now, I'd like to explain that the concert itself was a good time, they put on a good show and I'm not a big concert guy so it was my first time seeing Les Claypool live. But they had a loving keyboardist who didn't seem to know what the gently caress he was doing, and for about 20 minutes in the middle of the set his synth was making this loud, ear-splitting tone that literally damaged my hearing and gave me a splitting headache the lasted the whole rest of the night. My loving skull hurt all the way home. I mean, concerts can get loud and I get that, but whatever sound that synth was making was louder than the rest of the concert, louder than anything I've ever been in the same room with.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

When Rage was the musical guest on SNL the teamsters basically threw them out of the studio after their first song because they had an American flag hanging upside down on the stage

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

some of those that work backstage are the same who burn crosses

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Best was maybe Melvins at CBGBs in 1990, I was tripping on green windowpane acid and had only heard about them before. Hearing and seeing them like that for the first time was transformative. Buzz’s hypnotic hair and intense stare were only outdone by Dale in his underwear, riding the drums like a horse.

Worst that comes to mind was Spiritualized. They played at Riverside Church and it should have been amazing but the sound was just a total mess, I almost can’t count it as seeing them because it didn’t even sound recognizable. I saw them again in Brooklyn years later and it was equally disappointing, but this time the sound was fine. It was the entire band’s apparent complete lack of interest. I’ve seen plenty of electronic acts that look like they’re just reading email and put on a better show than this, these guys looked and played like they didn’t give the slightest poo poo but somehow played for hours. Or maybe it just felt that way.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

haljordan posted:

Lmao goddamn you really gotta hate someone to do that

The funniest part was when a couple started flying he stopped: and he said “Keep throwing shoes, we’ll see how funny it is.” Then a huge amount of shoes, a ludicrous amount started flying.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Modulo16 posted:

The funniest part was when a couple started flying he stopped: and he said “Keep throwing shoes, we’ll see how funny it is.” Then a huge amount of shoes, a ludicrous amount started flying.

Maybe it was all just a scam to get free shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Snowy posted:

Worst that comes to mind was Spiritualized. They played at Riverside Church and it should have been amazing but the sound was just a total mess, I almost can’t count it as seeing them because it didn’t even sound recognizable. I saw them again in Brooklyn years later and it was equally disappointing, but this time the sound was fine. It was the entire band’s apparent complete lack of interest. I’ve seen plenty of electronic acts that look like they’re just reading email and put on a better show than this, these guys looked and played like they didn’t give the slightest poo poo but somehow played for hours. Or maybe it just felt that way.

I love Spiritualized but never was able to see them live. Half the people I know who saw the in person said it was life-changingly fantastic, but several other people described a similar experience as the one you had. I REALLY want to see Spacemen 3 live, but the ship sailed long ago on that one.