Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I usually get books about beer.

I love drinking beer, I'm not really bothered about reading about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I was given so many copies of Black Beauty as a child :negative:

Please stop traumatising small children who love animals with a nightmare book of animal abuse and death

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin
I hate feeling this way.

I try. readlly i try.

I'm jaw dropping out. My liver is plum give-out I keep trying but I keep failing.

no-one

Maximum Pepsi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 2, 2023

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

the sex ghost posted:

The novelisation of the movie Shrek.

Was it a novelization of the movie Shrek, or was it the book Shrek! which came out in 1990 and was the original basis for the movie?

Because let me tell you, I read Shrek! when I was a kid and then when I saw the movie Shrek I was extremely confused.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A box set of Babysitter's Club books. Kind of like The Hardy Boys except targeted at adolescent girls. I was a 15-year-old teenage boy at the time.

I read one and it was actually fun to discover that sexism goes both ways. One of their pseudo-boyfriends was a total doofus who would stop everything and forget what he was doing if he passed a construction site. Just stared at bulldozers like a slack-jawed moron.

E:

Maximum Pepsi posted:

I hate feeling this way.

I try. readlly i try.

I'm jaw dropping out. My liver is plum give-out I keep trying but I keep failing.

no-one

Are you OK?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 2, 2023

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Dianetics.

:smith:

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

My aunt knew that I was a nerd, and that I liked reading. So they bought me the Star Wars action figure encylopedia. I can't find the English version, but it was just like in that picture. Page after page of pictures of action figures. No history of the actual character or their equipment or anything. Just "Obi-wan Kenobi, 1983, plastic-resin, RRP $6.99".

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got an atlas because I make maps.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

the sex ghost posted:

Book of creepy true stories that specifically had an illustration of a Madagascan man eating tree (this one owned though, nice work uncle whoever)

got a title for that one?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
My mum´s aunt was convinced I wouId Iove whoIe crates fuII of MiIIs and Boon noveIs

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Olewithmilk posted:

I can't find the English version, but it was just like in that picture. Page after page of pictures of action figures. No history of the actual character or their equipment or anything. Just "Obi-wan Kenobi, 1983, plastic-resin, RRP $6.99".

Oh man, that book actually sounded alright, up until this bit! My condolences - what a let down compared to what they could've done with the book!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I ended up with two full sets of the Little House on the Prairie books.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
bloodlands by timothy snyder, a whole pile of tarot books for some reason

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Samog posted:

bloodlands by timothy snyder, a whole pile of tarot books for some reason

could do worse

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

My born-again Christian aunt bought me a box set of the Narnia books, I think in the hope that my love of fantasy would help her trick me into reading Christian allegory. It did not, although I did read the lion witch and wardrobe and didn’t hate it.

I also vaguely recall getting fancy hardback fairy tale books, and maybe some Oz books? Nothing super interesting, just the shallowest possible understanding of fantasy books.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah the first was a pretty decent YA book. I think I quite liked the first... three? Then after that it seemed like they didn't have much of an overarching story anymore, beyond the author figuring it out as he went along. But yeah, I'd personally recommend giving the first one a shot at least, if you don't hate the genre

The main thing I remember about Artemis Fowl was that there was some sort of contest involving translating the code that went along the bottom of every page. I think it had something to do with a movie adaptation that never happened (unitl 2020, apparently). I didn't bother with the code, but I have a friend who did.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

curlingiron posted:

I also vaguely recall getting fancy hardback fairy tale books, and maybe some Oz books? Nothing super interesting, just the shallowest possible understanding of fantasy books.

I remember having a book like that - It had The Wizard of Oz and a few fairy tails and was illustrated. I mostly remember the illustrations vaguely unsettling me in the same way the pictures in my Childcraft encyclopedia things did.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
My parents got me the Jay Leno kids book even though/because I was a huge fan of Conan o’Brien. It was what you would expect

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My friend bought me the book Final Fantasy and Philosophy as a joke present for Christmas once. At the time there was an entire series of [Pop Culture Thing] and Philosophy books that ate up a frankly upsetting amount of space on Barnes and Noble shelves -- I think the series kicked off with The Simpsons -- and they were all lazy attempts to tie pop culture stuff into something resembling legitimacy by trying to explain how Sephiroth was a Nietzschean or some poo poo and it was some of the worst poo poo I ever read

I think this is where I got my intense aversion to things that are bad-on-purpose because the entire premise of the joke is that such a thing is silly to even exist in the first place. Like those purposely bad low budget movies where all of the "funny" parts are in the trailer for it but then they made a whole drat movie anyway

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I used to do standup so my dad gave me a book this past Christmas written by a popular Australian comedian who got accused of sexual assault by a significantly less popular Australian comedian I used to know, but he denied it when it went public and said he supports #MeToo, so everyone in the media who didn't see it as a chance to drag a notable vocal lefty public figure was like "Okay, we believe you" and it was never brought up again.

It was Christmas day though and my family is really spread out all over the country so I didn't want to make a scene about it.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 7, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I used to write books. People gave me lots of books about how to write books, because I wrote books.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sundae posted:

I used to write books. People gave me lots of books about how to write books, because I wrote books.

How many copies of Stephen King's do you have.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Heath posted:

My friend bought me the book Final Fantasy and Philosophy as a joke present for Christmas once. At the time there was an entire series of [Pop Culture Thing] and Philosophy books that ate up a frankly upsetting amount of space on Barnes and Noble shelves -- I think the series kicked off with The Simpsons -- and they were all lazy attempts to tie pop culture stuff into something resembling legitimacy by trying to explain how Sephiroth was a Nietzschean or some poo poo and it was some of the worst poo poo I ever read

I think this is where I got my intense aversion to things that are bad-on-purpose because the entire premise of the joke is that such a thing is silly to even exist in the first place. Like those purposely bad low budget movies where all of the "funny" parts are in the trailer for it but then they made a whole drat movie anyway

Oh god, this reminded me horribly of when my usually an excellent gift-giver father bought me Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for my birthday. Poor Dad, I do not think I hid my distaste well.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Heath posted:

my cousin, who was kind of immature until he went to college, was really excited to give out his first ever christmas gifts he had gone out and bought himself. I really loved the gesture, even though he got me discounted cookbooks and a rick and morty philosophy book.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Heath posted:

we were having this discussion recently in the pop culture thread in c-spam - I think it is basically impossible to try to synthesize or replicate something that is "so bad it's good" because anything like that requires a real artistic sincerity at the heart of it to be worth watching/reading/etc. Like, you have to be a person who is playing Final Fantasy and genuinely thinks "this is all a metaphor for the Spanish civil war, and that's awesome" and then really commit to fully exploring that idea. If at any point, you lose that and start winking at your own premise, the entire thing falls apart. Like, what is enjoyable about these things IS the real commitment to what is clearly a bad idea, and we as an audience are kind of joining the creator in that sunk cost fallacy by taking part in it. Making something like a Sharknado where the premise is almost "isn't this movie ridiculous?" just shatters that whole experience. Yes, it is, so why did you make it? lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we were having this discussion recently in the pop culture thread in c-spam - I think it is basically impossible to try to synthesize or replicate something that is "so bad it's good" because anything like that requires a real artistic sincerity at the heart of it to be worth watching/reading/etc. Like, you have to be a person who is playing Final Fantasy and genuinely thinks "this is all a metaphor for the Spanish civil war, and that's awesome" and then really commit to fully exploring that idea. If at any point, you lose that and start winking at your own premise, the entire thing falls apart. Like, what is enjoyable about these things IS the real commitment to what is clearly a bad idea, and we as an audience are kind of joining the creator in that sunk cost fallacy by taking part in it. Making something like a Sharknado where the premise is almost "isn't this movie ridiculous?" just shatters that whole experience. Yes, it is, so why did you make it? lol

I was with some other friends and we were idly flipping through Netflix a while back. Turns out there is an entire category for those bullshit Sharknado type movies and we were just watching the trailers. But even just doing that was enough to get the entire joke of the movie across. One friend was insisting we watch one called Velocipastor about a pastor who is a were-raptor or something that he insisted was actually pretty funny and I told him outright I will not watch it because I do not see a reason to commit 80 minutes or whatever to it when I can just watch the 2 minute trailer and get the whole thing.

Similarly with these books the entire joke is the cover and that you'd have something so silly on your shelf. Like mixed in with your regular books you've got "Pride and Prejudice... And Zombies?!?!" "Abraham Lincoln... VAMPIRE HUNTER!?!" you could fill the whole book with Lorem Ipsum and it would be exactly as funny as the actual book as written. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that could possibly be in Abraham Lincoln: gently caress Lord of the Moon that is funnier than the idea of a book being titled Abraham Lincoln: gently caress Lord of the Moon.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

regular mike posted:

The novelization of Speed 2: Cruise Control

hell yeah dude!!!! Whoever gave you that new great literature when they saw it. So mcuh literature. The best literature. The best people know that is what literature is.

I was given John Bolton's book....I'm a leftist.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost
my mom used to buy me Neil Degrasse Tyson books, because she remembered I had a bunch of Carl Sagan books

...thanks?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

curlingiron posted:

Oh god, this reminded me horribly of when my usually an excellent gift-giver father bought me Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for my birthday. Poor Dad, I do not think I hid my distaste well.

I was also given this book for my birthday and made an attempt to read it to be nice, which resulted in me being surprised with tickets to the movie when it came out.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Enfys posted:

I was also given this book for my birthday and made an attempt to read it to be nice, which resulted in me being surprised with tickets to the movie when it came out.

:owned:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hey look what I found at the book store today

This section on masculinity that I flipped to randomly is a riot in light of recent revelations about Rowling

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Journey to Joona, which was some sort of evangelical christian Narnia (like even more than Narnia) but with swans.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
my mum thought that because i liked violent video games and liked to read that i would be into this big coffee table book about forensics with pictures of real murder victims and mangled corpses and stuff

like “this blood settling pattern is characteristic of strangling”

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 9, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

lmao your mom is pretty cool

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

my mum thought that because i liked violent video games and liked to read that i would be into this big coffee table book about forensics with pictures of real murder victims and mangled corpses and stuff

like “this blood settling pattern is characteristic of strangling”

That is a good gift and you liked it and nice avatar

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Major Isoor posted:

Oh man, that book actually sounded alright, up until this bit! My condolences - what a let down compared to what they could've done with the book!

I really did try to read it, because it felt like something I should be interested in, but I couldn't do it to myself even at that early age.

Edit: somebody got me, and I still have this, which is pretty much the same thing but good (if you are not quite that huge a nerd):

I also recommend Star Trek: A History of the Future and Star Trek: Encyclopedia for all your nerdly needs.

Olewithmilk fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 9, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Olewithmilk posted:

I really did try to read it, because it felt like something I should be interested in, but I couldn't do it to myself even at that early age.

Edit: somebody got me, and I still have this, which is pretty much the same thing but good (if you are not quite that huge a nerd):

I also recommend Star Trek: A History of the Future and Star Trek: Encyclopedia for all your nerdly needs.

Ah yeah, that's the kinda thing I had in mind. I've got a similar book, but for vehicles - this one.

So odd that they'd even have a weird catalogue of their toys, though. Very odd. I wonder if the person who got it for you expected the book to be more like the two books we linked

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My dad got me a bunch of weird Piers Anthony books he found at a garage sale.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I think it was my uncle that got me this one:

I was 9 or 10 years old. I did not like it, but my parents wouldn't let me see the movie and some of the pages were photo stills from it, so that was cool

My grandma got me Eragon when I was a HS junior because I wanted to become a writer. It was meant to inspire me; the book was (famously!) written and published by a 15yo.

A well-meaning gift, but I had the exact opposite reaction and then some. I hated it so loving much that it actually made me angry to read, and by extension I began to hate myself for having the same dream as this guy (an irrational idea, but I was young and stupid). Not only did I drop the dream of becoming a writer, I gradually stopped reading altogether and took nearly a two decade-long break from it lol. whoops!

Later in life I learned his parents were both authors, worked in publishing, and had a lot of friends in that world, so the whole story of an unlikely teenager serendipitously being discovered was pretty bogus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

The Dregs posted:

My dad got me a bunch of weird Piers Anthony books he found at a garage sale.

Okay, yeah, this is the worst one.