Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I had to take a speech class in high school and our teacher made us read each read a children's book with completely non-ironic enthusiasm. I don't know if it did anything for anybody else, but it utterly broke my fear of public speaking forever.

Also my third grade teacher was incredible and has had an incredible amount of influence over my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I had to take 1 on 1 speech class in first grade because I couldn't pronounce "th" correctly. I don't remember much about it except playing a game where we stacked little plastic pigs on top of each other. It seems to have worked though, thanks lady.

Tres
Jun 21, 2003

Richard Stallman AKA St. iGNUcius-sama <3
Grimey Drawer
Thinking back, most of my teachers in primary school kinda sucked. It was a nice school and had some great teachers, but I always tended to get stuck with the weird/lovely ones.

The one exception was Ms. Crawford. She was Canadian and came to my school (in Australia) for a year on an exchange program.

She taught me about writing, literature, and word processing and really encouraged my interest in language. She also introduced me to some of my favourite authors. I think she knew that as someone with a disability, I’d have to rely on my intellect to make a living.

I cried on the final day of that year, knowing that she’d be leaving.

I ended up becoming a translator and I still think about her when I write.

I wanted to let her know much she impacted my life, so I tried to contact her, but it turns out she died of cancer a few years ago…

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My best high school teacher was Mr. Tarosky, who taught a bunch of history and civics classes. I had him for Problems of Democracy, and he was the first teacher I had that was willing to talk to us like adults about political stuff. This was around 2003, too, so it wasn't exactly a great time to say anything other than "USA is great, we're making all the right decisions!" in front of a bunch of kids.

We once did a mock government and the kid who was President was a huge douche, so Mr. Tarosky was like "hey, why don't you impeach him?" So we did. And it was hilarious but we also learned a ton about how the US Government works.

He also had a completely arbitrary grading system where he would randomly take "5 off" if you did something bad in class. 5 points, 5 percent? Nobody knew. But I remember a kid loudly dropping a book on the floor, only to hear "THAT'S 5 OFF!" and when the kid protested he got another 5 off. Another kid had a pair of heelies and would zoom around the class. Mr. Tarosky asked to see them, then just went "Okay that's 5 off" after he looked at the shoes.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh I liked our APUSH teacher he had high grading standards while not being a jerk which was good prep for college. Was in his class on 9/11 and a student asked if the date was chosen because it’s the same as the number for emergencies & he said he couldn’t answer that with the available information.

My guy was also a really tough grader, in senior year I did teacher aide for him (basically grading quizzes for 20 minutes and then playing Binding of Isaac on my laptop until the period ended) and there were always like 6 students who miraculously got 0%. Also, on the very last day of the school year he took a student's skateboard and did a kickflip in the middle of the classroom.

Most of my friends did teacher aide for the other, cooler teacher, who was the AP World History/IB Philosophy teacher. Teacher aide happened to line up with his free period (as well as lunch), so students would just come in and shoot the poo poo. They were right next to each other as well, very fun times.

Rounding out the trifecta was the US Gov/Econ teacher, who was the most divorced man I have ever met. It was his first year at my high school, he was a professional bowler, full on libertarian, and once said he didn't like Disney World because "everyone was forced to be happy". He was kind of cool as well, but he mostly just sucked.

If this thread eventually just becomes High School Stories, remind me to talk about how I called the principal Shrek on school TV and mostly got away with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Geoff the year 12 history teacher. He had the mannerisms of a British WW2 fighter pilot. He made history interesting but also had a tendency to get extremely sidetracked if you asked him about his trip to French battlefields. He’s the reason I ended up studying politics and history at uni (a degree which remains unused because lol)

Mr Brown was my year 12 IT teacher. He had a brother, also called Mr Brown, who was my year 8 agricultural science teacher. He taught us that you picked up chickens by holding them between the legs with your middle finger up their arse. He demonstrated how to do it but none of us wanted to have a go.

The IT Mr Brown loved a drink. On the school’s open day, while all the other teachers were found in the various classrooms or walking around talking to prospective students, Mr Brown sat on a deck chair on the balcony with a bottle of red wine by his side. All afternoon.

If we didn’t want to do any work in his class we’d get him to tell us about Vietnam. He loved talking about his time there. So many crazy stories. He didn’t actually serve during the war, he just went there a lot in the 80s.