Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
tl;dr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Please put me in this amazing game

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I have read tutorial 1 and have a question. In the final scenario discussed, isn't the last night of killing superfluous? At 3 players left it is 1 scum, 1 town and 1 dead in all 3 universes, which means scum already control the vote and you can end the game right there without having to go through the motions of "oh everyone only has one kill option"

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Never mind, tutorial 2 made it a bit clearer. The number of remaining players alive in any universe is who you count for the purposes of controlling vote share, not the remaining players in any individual universe.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

In example 2, Carla would win where the scum win and Ellie where the town win, right?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
this is the code you've been working on, huh.

gently caress it, we ball (across the infinite plane of universes)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wins32767 posted:

Scum need to as well. The only way anyone wins is to collapse down to 1. My point is that there is that everyone will literally have the same probabilities on d1 so there won’t really be alignment driven hints to sus out. It’s just a popularity contest at that point.

I mean, it's possible to win with only a few universes left. But most universes will be done with once a win condition is reached.

wins32767 posted:

In example 2, Carla would win where the scum win and Ellie where the town win, right?

I suppose so. It depends if you consider dead players winning when their faction wins in regular mafia.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Quackles posted:

I mean, it's possible to win with only a few universes left. But most universes will be done with once a win condition is reached.

I suppose so. It depends if you consider dead players winning when their faction wins in regular mafia.

You don't consider that to be the case? Is everyone a TOWN-Survivor or SCUM-Survivor? :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wologar posted:

You don't consider that to be the case? Is everyone a TOWN-Survivor or SCUM-Survivor? :v:

...I always thought in regular mafia, you only claimed the win if you were alive. If your faction won but you were dead, you still got to bask in the glow a little, though.

It's why for Danganronpa's Mastermind, I mentioned "wins even if dead in this case" in the description.

EDIT: Formally, I'm saying that this game works like regular mafia - you win with your faction, alive or dead. And sometimes you might be alive or dead at the same time!

Quackles fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 14, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

An-y-ways: a new tutorial and info post have each been added!

The Supplementary Information post now includes full details of the masonry-picking algorithm (it's not random!)

Tutorial 3: The Entangler showcases the entangler, how masonries are made (and destroyed), and everything about the role's special brand of immortality (!).

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Let's do it.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

wins32767 posted:

Scum need to as well. The only way anyone wins is to collapse down to 1. My point is that there is that everyone will literally have the same probabilities on d1 so there won’t really be alignment driven hints to sus out. It’s just a popularity contest at that point.

I agree there should be N0 kills and abilities

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Also sad that the OP accounts for targeting yourself with a kill to eliminate every universe where you are scum. We aren't allowed to :(

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Johnny Keats posted:

I agree there should be N0 kills and abilities

Tempting. I was a little hesitant about opening with N0 nightkills, but it might be suitable for future games of this.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Just let me kill on n0

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Johnny Keats posted:

Also sad that the OP accounts for targeting yourself with a kill to eliminate every universe where you are scum. We aren't allowed to :(

You and I think a lot alike.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Johnny Keats posted:

I may not have thought of every possibility, but I've thought of most of 'em.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
what if we can definitively disprove the infinite universes theory in thread?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Quackles posted:

I may not have thought of every possibility, but I've thought of most of 'em.

That sounds like a challenge.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wins32767 posted:

That sounds like a challenge.

...and I made a computer program to think of the rest. :getin:

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Wins we target each other with the kill N1 yeah?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Johnny Keats posted:

Wins we target each other with the kill N1 yeah?

you know that means you won't be able to be scum together, right?

Your Personal Muse posted:

what if we can definitively disprove the infinite universes theory in thread?

there aren't infinite universes though. they're clearly finite per Quackles' earlier post

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

you know that means you won't be able to be scum together, right?

there aren't infinite universes though. they're clearly finite per Quackles' earlier post

The trick is that first it increases our odds of being scum in the universes we're alive because in all universes where one of us is scum but not the other, the town one dies. Universes where we are both scum will collapse, but there will be far more where this is not the case and one of us is scum. Then, if we both submit the same kills on each other N2, we will collapse any universe where our kill was successful on N1 because we tried to target a dead player. Therefore after N2 we will have limited all universes where we are alive to universes where we are both town

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Johnny Keats posted:

The trick is that first it increases our odds of being scum in the universes we're alive because in all universes where one of us is scum but not the other, the town one dies. Universes where we are both scum will collapse, but there will be far more where this is not the case and one of us is scum. Then, if we both submit the same kills on each other N2, we will collapse any universe where our kill was successful on N1 because we tried to target a dead player. Therefore after N2 we will have limited all universes where we are alive to universes where we are both town

To be clear, you can submit a nightkill on a person who is dead in some universes without collapsing those universes. The target will just be killed in all the universes they are alive, and the nightkill will be a no-op in the universes where the target is already nightkilled once.

If you try to submit a nightkill on a person who is dead in every universe where you're scum, my tracker program will reject it and I'll tell you to pick someone else.

EDIT: I've added a clarification about this to the OP.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

drat, foiled again

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A new info post has been added!

The Supplementary Information post now includes a full order of how night actions are resolved.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sign me the gently caress up

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Ill play but I can't promise I will understand it

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I will play but I I'm going to not read the op and only poo poo post.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Sub Rosa posted:

Wait until you get asked to pick a target for every action in the game

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Sub Rosa posted:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Ill play but I can't promise I will understand it

not as much of a problem as you'd think. it'd be perfectly reasonable to just make whatever plays at night take your fancy, or commit to foiling any plans anybody tried to make in thread, or make up your own achievements to try and earn like maybe highest % scum that still flips town or first to collapse all universes in which you're a detective.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m going to post, you can believe that

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Please add the following rule to the OP:

During jokephase, you are NOT allowed to vote someone while joking that someone’s post is x% scummy.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

not as much of a problem as you'd think. it'd be perfectly reasonable to just make whatever plays at night take your fancy, or commit to foiling any plans anybody tried to make in thread, or make up your own achievements to try and earn like maybe highest % scum that still flips town or first to collapse all universes in which you're a detective.

I'm going to use an RNG to decide my actions for all five roles

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm going to use an RNG to decide my actions for all five roles

now you just need three other players to commit to the same thing and you'll already be ahead of Keats :eng101:

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i'll play

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

We should collectively decide on a player to all shoot on N1, making universes where that player is alive highly likely for them to be scum. Then we execute that player on the following day, almost certain to flip scum, and all the universes where we shot him dead collapse and everybody remaining is more likely to be town. Rinse and repeat.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice! That makes 19. And just in time, because...

A new tutorial has been added!

Tutorial 4: Power Roles shows off the game in action, with scum, the detective, and the guard all going at it.

The game will begin at 11 PM Pacific Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I volunteer as tribute