Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
This is doxxing and you've been reported.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
isnt that a mcelroy brother

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al! posted:

isnt that a mcelroy brother

worse

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

where's the infinity train thread

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tacoma wept

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fell Mood posted:

As a Marxist, I have to note that whatever material conditions existed on Homeworld that caused a culture of genocidal fascism to develop still exist at the end of the series. The diamonds becoming "good" people has no effect on the resource depletion that is causing new gems to be of ever lowering quality, which will eventually destroy their society unless they take new worlds and resources. The fact that they colonize planets like earth as opposed to say, mars, which is geologicaly almost identical speaks to a profoundly militaristic society that must expand at the expense of others. Much like modern day Israel and the United States or the historical examples of Nazi Germany and the Confederacy, such a society can never reform from the inside, but must rather be completely demolished and rebuilt. The United States is the example most of you will be most familiar with. A society built explicitly and for slavery can never become good. The US deciding to free it's slaves does not make it good, no more than a marriage becomes happy the moment a husband decides he's sorry for beating his wife. Some wounds can never heal. A poison tree cannot bear good fruit. Alien races killed by the gems cannot be ungenocided. Considering that it's a kids show, and that the diamonds are much too tall to hang from lampposts, a better ending would have been to exile the diamonds and have Steven take over to clumsily institute reforms thru the power of friendship.

☝️👆This. Is anybody loving LISTENING???

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Steven Unabomber

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Weka posted:

Steven Unabomber

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm probably taking the bait, but still: did people actually watch the show because the whole deal is that the Gempire was basically full on dissolved, the Diamonds released their armies and subjects to do whatever the gently caress they want and the only gems who still follow them are out of choice slash habit. Steven even has to personally intervene to stop some terraformers from continuing to destroy a life-bearing planet simply because they don't know what else to do with themselves. An automated facility for slave production and brainwashing sits empty and unused because they've all been freed and no one can make them march in anymore. A human zoo has become their own Culture esque space liner where they can travel the universe exploring at will in between frolicking in artificial paradise. The biggest assholes of the society have nothing left to do but sit around and sulk or make half-assed assassination attempts at its liberator because no one else puts up with their poo poo. It HAS been completely demolished.

Helps that they're all immortal hologram people who don't really have physical needs, of course. And durable enough that one of the war criminal leaders has devoted her existence to reconstituting their victims from their component parts.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

*bravely* I have not watched the childrens cartoon

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
hitler got the idea of the yellow badge from steven universe

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
dudes are rocks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DaysBefore posted:

This is like telling SuperMechagodzilla to watch the Clone Wars cartoons all over again

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is like telling SuperMechagodzilla to watch the Clone Wars cartoons all over again

Ever wonder why you keep ending up in situations where you're telling people to watch childrens cartoons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DaysBefore posted:

Ever wonder why you keep ending up in situations where you're telling people to watch childrens cartoons

No.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm probably taking the bait, but still: did people actually watch the show because the whole deal is that the Gempire was basically full on dissolved, the Diamonds released their armies and subjects to do whatever the gently caress they want and the only gems who still follow them are out of choice slash habit. Steven even has to personally intervene to stop some terraformers from continuing to destroy a life-bearing planet simply because they don't know what else to do with themselves. An automated facility for slave production and brainwashing sits empty and unused because they've all been freed and no one can make them march in anymore. A human zoo has become their own Culture esque space liner where they can travel the universe exploring at will in between frolicking in artificial paradise. The biggest assholes of the society have nothing left to do but sit around and sulk or make half-assed assassination attempts at its liberator because no one else puts up with their poo poo. It HAS been completely demolished.

Helps that they're all immortal hologram people who don't really have physical needs, of course. And durable enough that one of the war criminal leaders has devoted her existence to reconstituting their victims from their component parts.

couldn't agree more op with your point that the whole deal is that the Gempire was basically full on dissolved, the Diamonds released their armies and subjects to do whatever the gently caress they want and the only gems who still follow them are out of choice slash habit. Steven even has to personally intervene to stop some terraformers from continuing to destroy a life-bearing planet simply because they don't know what else to do with themselves. An automated facility for slave production and brainwashing sits empty and unused because they've all been freed and no one can make them march in anymore. A human zoo has become their own Culture esque space liner where they can travel the universe exploring at will in between frolicking in artificial paradise. The biggest assholes of the society have nothing left to do but sit around and sulk or make half-assed assassination attempts at its liberator because no one else puts up with their poo poo. It HAS been completely demolished.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bro Dad has issued a correction as of 01:24 on May 15, 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

lmfao

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Bump

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Here, Wizard Master, I've got you covered. This is the definitive post of Correct Opinions about this show, which I watched in 2021 instead of learning to bake bread.

It models compassionate communication very well including differentiating between when it can be really effective and when it just won't do any good. It does this well enough that most adults can learn from it, not just kids.

It also does a pretty good job abstractly approaching concepts like gender identity, bigotry, bodily autonomy, and some other stuff in ways that seem approachable for children, but I've never talked to a child about this show so iunno.

The lore is mostly pretty cool.

The animation is whatever.

Connie is a boring self-insert character.

The ending is horribly rushed, which was supposedly Cartoon Network's fault for constantly jerking them around, but still, has to be said that the last few episodes are kind of a clusterfuck. But the part where he yells "she's gone" real loud is good.

7/10 would watch during a global pandemic that forces me to isolate from society for over a year again. Actually probably not, but it was worth doing it once.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Yoshi Wins posted:

But the part where he yells "she's gone" real loud is good.

Dramatic Re-Enactment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gWwB1z3fjI

Weka
May 5, 2019

Actually THIS is a post of correct opinions about the show: I haven't watched it and will not be doing so.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

post itt every time you are or aren't watching steven universe

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I’m going to inject your anus with HIV

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

post itt every time you are or aren't watching steven universe

What if I don't know whether or not I'm watching steven universe

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

also post in that unlikely scenario

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Where is Raised By Wolves? Under Trump, it was renewed. Under Biden, it was cancelled. Any question?

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

You were raised by bears who took turns with your rear end nightly

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Poppers posted:

I’m going to inject your anus with HIV

Poppers posted:

yup

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nichael posted:

Where is Raised By Wolves? Under Trump, it was renewed. Under Biden, it was cancelled. Any question?

that's right

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Poppers posted:

god i wish

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

is that an optical illusion or does one thanos schlong have slightly different dimensions

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

schrodingers steven universe watcher

:gas:

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Steven universe is something that takes normal well adjusted young people and turns them into the McElroy brother whack pack. You watch 5 minutes of the show once and now you watch vaush, have a payment plan with bad dragon and aren't allowed within 100 yards of schools.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
that's not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

that's just because you are too rich to need the payment plan