Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Command Board is literally a transposed form of another SE series, Itadaki Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's also really fun and I like playing it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I hated the command board. Literally the only reason I played the first one, was to get Ragnarok.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you get the new commands with a joker capture or do you have to land on them exactly? Either way that's a whole lot of random.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Glazius posted:

Can you get the new commands with a joker capture or do you have to land on them exactly? Either way that's a whole lot of random.

Panel Capture either gives you a random Bonus panel, puts down one of your commands onto a random blank panel, or randomly gives you an opponent's panel.

PS If you end a match in possession of an opponent's panel, you get that command. I think.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Maybe it's just me, but the command board looks like a great thing to do while watching TV or something. Just mindlessly press buttons to make numbers bigger and bars fill up. :allears:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

PS If you end a match in possession of an opponent's panel, you get that command. I think.

This works in the menu version. You don't keep anything from the arena one.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
You mention early on that the command system is a great improvement to the series, and I agree in that it allows for a huge number of new moves to be in the game, but it prevented something I really liked in KH1&2 - spell combos. Casting 3 Fires in a row in those games yielded a unique animation, and was faster than using 3 different spells.

Now, I have to load a magic command multiple times if I want to chain it, and that feels like a waste. It could be fixed by having commands that could be used more than once before recharging. Or if Triple[Magic] commands weren't such a pain to get (In Re:coded and 3D at least, never owned BBS).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Six Of Spades posted:

You mention early on that the command system is a great improvement to the series, and I agree in that it allows for a huge number of new moves to be in the game, but it prevented something I really liked in KH1&2 - spell combos. Casting 3 Fires in a row in those games yielded a unique animation, and was faster than using 3 different spells.

Now, I have to load a magic command multiple times if I want to chain it, and that feels like a waste. It could be fixed by having commands that could be used more than once before recharging. Or if Triple[Magic] commands weren't such a pain to get (In Re:coded and 3D at least, never owned BBS).

Eh that was kinda cool but one of the big things about this series is how much the battle system varies among the different games. Maybe they'll bring that back for KHIII (nah it'll probably have commands)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Triple Magic spells are Aqua exclusive.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Eh that was kinda cool but one of the big things about this series is how much the battle system varies among the different games. Maybe they'll bring that back for KHIII (nah it'll probably have commands)

Well the combat systems definitely improve from game-to-game (Except Chain of Memories; not necessarily worse, but too different to be compared). I definitely like how with BBS the characters all have the same base mechanics but look unique - and if Aqua gets the Triple magic commands then I'm definitely looking forward to her story.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In today's update, Terra flexes his muscles and shows off some CUTSCENE POWERS!

Thankfully, he isn't inadvertently stealing any hearts today!

Part 3 - Castle of Dreams Youtube (w/ Full Commentary) Blip.tv (w/ Full Commentary)

There might be a problem with the regular version on Blip. If there is, let me know and I'll reupload it.

Next time we are gonna tackle a number of things, including the totally awesome Mirage Arena! And after that it's off to Dwarf Woodlands where Terra will once again be duped into doing evil tasks by obviously evil people.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not stealing any hearts? Did you see the move he pulled at about 18:40 or so? :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

C-Euro posted:

Not stealing any hearts? Did you see the move he pulled at about 18:40 or so? :v:

I said inadvertently :v:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Six Of Spades posted:

but it prevented something I really liked in KH1&2 - spell combos. Casting 3 Fires in a row in those games yielded a unique animation, and was faster than using 3 different spells.

Kingdom Hearts 1 didn't really have spell combos, save for Fire -- which could be cast again and again, in very rapid succession, until your MP ran out.

Kingdom Hearts 2 had spell combos, and it wasn't just for casting one spell three times; spells could be mixed and matched in a combo, and the combo finisher had a hefty damage bonus. You could also work spells into your normal attack combos, substituting a finisher spell for your normal attack finisher, or vice versa: near the end, a favorite gimmick of mine was to close on an enemy with a basic attack, hit it with Blizzard, then use Explosion for a finisher. In some of Sora's drive forms, the spell finishers got even nastier, showering the battlefield with lightning storms and other poo poo.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Kingdom Hearts 1 didn't really have spell combos, save for Fire -- which could be cast again and again, in very rapid succession, until your MP ran out.

Kingdom Hearts 2 had spell combos, and it wasn't just for casting one spell three times; spells could be mixed and matched in a combo, and the combo finisher had a hefty damage bonus. You could also work spells into your normal attack combos, substituting a finisher spell for your normal attack finisher, or vice versa: near the end, a favorite gimmick of mine was to close on an enemy with a basic attack, hit it with Blizzard, then use Explosion for a finisher. In some of Sora's drive forms, the spell finishers got even nastier, showering the battlefield with lightning storms and other poo poo.

Well my memory is clearly shot. On the other hand, the combo system in 2 is way swankier than I remember!

Symphony Master is a really cool-looking boss - shame his appearance is so fleeting, apparently.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Six Of Spades posted:

Symphony Master is a really cool-looking boss - shame his appearance is so fleeting, apparently.

Yep, he looked like a cool boss to me! His battle music sounded pretty cool too. Anybody know what it's called?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was actually kind of a sensible story given how much Terra has to learn. I just wish the godmother had, like, turned him into the coachman given that she just pulls the non-carriage components out of nowhere anyway.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sorry about the delay between updates, who knew real life could take up so much time? I'll have an update ready for tonight.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey guys I went back to Enchanted Dominion and

Hey wait what is that, that wasn't in this game before was it :psyduck:

Also, I don't know if you knew this, but this game has an arena! It's kind of awesome since the battle system is awesome. Plus you can buy a couple of pretty good things with the medals you win.

Part 4 - Mirage Arena Youtube Blip.tv

Next time we hit up a new world where we do a wee bit of sequence breaking! It's gonna be fun.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

It's funny, the unexplained super high-tech stylings are pretty common throughout the entire series (and then Re:coded is straight up dedicated to it). Even the menu screens are pretty sci-fi.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you combine Firaga with something else to get a new command, or is it unfuseable?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Glazius posted:

Can you combine Firaga with something else to get a new command, or is it unfuseable?

If I remember correctly Firaga becomes stuff.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Senerio posted:

If I remember correctly Firaga becomes stuff.

That it does. I think it even becomes more stuff for Terra, or at least different stuff.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Glazius posted:

There are three levels of commands: basic, advanced, and ultimate. For the most part, ultimate level commands can't be melded with other commands (except in a few rare cases where they make better ultimate level commands). Firaga is an Advanced level. I have plans for that Firaga, yes I do.

The levels only really come into play for recipes, and those are kinda useless because all they do is show you what the result of your melding is going to be. But the internet exists so you don't need them.

Oni-Lord
Dec 12, 2011
I've played some of the online with some friends before. From what I remember, in order to play over long distances you need a PS3 and a free ad-hoc thing you get from the store.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oni-Lord posted:

I've played some of the online with some friends before. From what I remember, in order to play over long distances you need a PS3 and a free ad-hoc thing you get from the store.

I was just reading up on this a bit, and it says your ps3 needs to be connected via ethernet and not wifi for this to work? It's doable.

Anyone want to play? I could record it for a bonus video. You probably need final mix, though, and I don't have completed saves for vanilla BBS. So if three people have this game, I will totally whip out my finished saves and rock the arena with you.

Oni-Lord
Dec 12, 2011
Sorry, I would be up for joining you, but I don't have Final Mix.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Anyone want to play? I could record it for a bonus video. You probably need final mix, though, and I don't have completed saves for vanilla BBS. So if three people have this game, I will totally whip out my finished saves and rock the arena with you.

If my PS3 wasn't connected to the internet via Wi-Fi, I'd have loved to do this. I've got a completed save for Final Mix, although my stats and commands were just the bare minimum to get through the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In today's update, Terra once again steals the heart of a young girl

Or does he?

Part 5 - Dwarf Woodlands Youtube (w/ Full Commentary) Blip.tv (w/ Full Commentary)

New Worlds

A castle overlooking a forest. Seeing a pattern yet? Although this time, there is a gem mine on the other side of the forest.

Next time, plot. A ton of plot. Then we get to what is one of the coolest sequences in the game. Don't miss it!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That boss was awesome. I don't know what you were complaining about.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In today's update, Terra once again steals the heart of a young girl

Or does he?

Congratulations, Terra, you're more competent than I gave you credit for. I'd totally trust you to guard an empty treasure chest now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That boss was a kind of funny concept and had some nice visuals, but I'm with Bobman. The actual fight was a little underwhelming. Maybe because Terra's just so stodgy in the first place.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
Hey. I know this ain't exactly the place for it, but do you still have your highly entertaining Metroid Prime videos linked somewhere? I enjoyed the hell out of those and wanted to rewatch them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Look at this face

This is the face of a man you can trust. If you're an idiot.

Part 6 - Mysterious Tower/Badlands: Youtube (w/ Full Commentary) Blip.tv (w/ Full Commentary)

New Worlds:

This tower is home to the powerful Wizard/former Keyblade Master Yen Sid. Plot happens here.

The Badlands???? [No image]

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

And that's not even him looking his most menacing. In fact, that's on the lower end of his spectrum.

Also I'm not sure you can criticize Terra for trusting him too much in the update where you meet the creepiest, most evil-looking good guy in the history of the world.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

At this point, I'm surprised nobody isn't trusting Eraqus because he looks the least like a clearly evil guy.

Duckbehindcover
Oct 21, 2010

Hold A to vault
Yen Sid can't be evil because he has a really dorky hat. Like forget how powerful he might be, if he was evil people would make fun of that dorky hat.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
Vanitas is such a hilariously over the top emo concept but they manage to do a good job of not going too overboard with it, like they did with the Nobodies in Kingdom Hearts 2.

On another note, the way they pronounce Vanitas really bugs me because it makes me remember the three years of High School Latin I took and everything I learned about pronunciation in that class screams at me "It's pronounced van-i-tahs, not va-nee-tus!" I know that it doesn't matter but it still annoys me.

Also, I totally didn't know you could set commands to shortcuts. Is that just Final Mix, or is that somewhere in the vanilla game too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

That Vanitas lore is pretty dumb and really doesn't sound like the Vanitas in the game. Not the dumbest thing about Vanitas mind you, but the the good thing about him was that he is Haley Joel Osment being evil and loving it. Don't ruin that for me.

• Locked thread