Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

"The key, of course, is the effective use of props and scenery. Everyone knows that they sit watching this play a mere quarter of a li from the largest testament to Duty ever erected. The Wall is ever in their minds; take that knowledge, make use of that backdrop to bring the audience beyond their current circumstances as you interact with the scene, your fellow actors, and the audience too. Note that the drama of Love makes use of metaphysical imagery in a particularly interesting way...and employs interesting rhythmic devices too, which seem to counterpoint the... er..." and here Ginzo flounders briefly before recovering, "...counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the humanity of the playwright's compassionate soul, which contrives through the medium of the verse structure, to sublimate and transcend the subject's desire and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the Other...and one is left with a profound and vivid insight into...into whatever the play was about!

"Now then, let us see this scene again!"

Dude, I really don't know from acting...one thing I do know, however, is that Crab Draw-Lot Plays are, of course, the third worst kind of drama in all of Rokugan.
I suppose I should use this opportunity to see how the attitudes of those present reflect the morale of the troops as a whole, or something. If this is another use of Battle, I'm golden (6k3), but if it's anything Awareness-based, I'm hosed (2k2, untrained)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Ginzo

They listen to your advice raptly, and you get the sense that they are picking up a lot.

Morale seems to be fairly high, at least among these soldiers. You can't tell whether that carries over to other groups. Regardless, they resume their rehearsal with gusto.

Doesn't matter that you don't know from acting, that advice was awesome. And draw-lot plays are the absolute best kind of drama in Rokugan.

Natsumi

Nobody seems to notice you in any sort of untowards way. You do get some curious glances, and you hear some conversations shift to wondering who you are.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Utaku Kaori

Kaori follows her sister to the mess hall; the play might be interesting, but it already works. There's no point in analyzing a situation that already works.
"Natsumi, this hall is a mess. Look at this." She gestures to the groupings of each Clan. "They are all assigned to The Wall. Their Clan should be secondary to their duty, their affiliation only to The Wall. This sort of division must be remedied."

She scribbles more notes onto her papers, already full of training exercises and efficiency improvements. "I would see more activities designed to downplay Clan affiliation. Could we have them forced into mixed seating? Assigned seating? Smaller tables? They would be far more of a cohesive unit were they to share meals together."
Kaori shakes her head. "This would not be an issue were The Wall staffed entirely by the Unicorn, sister. If only the other Great Clans could be as flexible and dutiful as we are. Blind clan affiliation is such an awful thing."

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"This is something we agree on then, well, most of it. I do believe that strong feelings towards ones own clan are universal, something we have all experienced to some extent. Though here that might be something of a hindrance as such feelings must be balanced against respect for ones peers. I assume that there are regular drills conducted here to prepare for attack. I recommend that for these drills those involved should be placed randomly, in varied positions along the wall. While it is comforting to practice among ones own brethren it is a weakness in an environment such as this. There are innumerable factors which could cause someone to be separated from their unit and in times like that they must learn to trust the warrior beside them, regardless of their clan. I can only hope this facilitates their cohesion, I would hate for more drastic measures to be implemented."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Soshi Masami

"I would be wary of making too drastic a change in that manner," Masami notes, gesturing with one hand. "Greater cohesion as a whole is good-- but if we force them to violate the ties that sustain them, they will only resent those orders. And by extension the source of those orders. Ideally, we would wish to make them want to work in more mixed groups. The question that remains is how."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hiyama

Masami-san, it's all well and good to say this, and really it's important that they all cooperate on the wall, but every clan has its own customs and own way of living. Is it wise to try to bring them together like that? Is it even possible?"

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"Yes, it is not a flawless plan, just a possibility. And I would not ask them to sever their ties with their own clan in the name of cohesion, but it is clear that they need more in the way of respect and understanding towards one another. We cannot have warriors unable to fight creatures of the Shadowlands because they have a grudge against the clan standing beside them. There are times and places for that and this battlefield is not one of them. Still, this plan clearly needs to be refined."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"I would say it wiser, yes," says Masami. She pauses a moment, then elaborates, "The sort of cameraderie we wish to see cannot come from simply, say, forcing them to share a lunch together. I believe your thought of mixed drills, Mayumi-san, is a good start; it will not be difficult for them to see the logic in that, but jumbling social seating I think will only provoke annoyance at best. A common cause is best to create unity, of course, but if simply being here is not enough for that..."

Masami cocks her head just so, then says. "Well, perhaps that is a part of it. The wall here is quiet; it seems there is much time of idleness. Tell me, do any of you know if the postings here are permanent, or if there is a rotation with deeper outposts?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
It is growing quite late by now, and you are all pretty tired from your travels. Tarou, seeing this, gently suggests that it may be a good time to consider taking a rest, and advises you all that he will be at your disposal as soon as you awake in the morning as well.

The rehearsals end up finishing around the same time as this is going on, too.

If anyone has anything they want to do immediately please advise, otherwise, I propose moving to the next morning.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sometime after it's reasonable to expect everyone to be asleep, I'd like to sneak out and take a discreet look around-- not looking for anything particular, just a quick once-over to see if everything's as it should be. Probably out for about half an hour tops. If anything looks untoward I'll head back immediately.

Stealth is 5k3 with a sneak emphasis, and investigation 3k2.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi finds somewhere quiet and tries to Commune with a local Water kami, just in case they have something relevant to say or someone's been angering the spirits lately. If Water specifically is a terrible idea, she tries Earth!

4k3 either way, I believe.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

Ginzo spends a good portion of that evening by candle-light, drawing up the architectural schematics requested by Hiruma-san. And after pondering the inter-clan strife that is interfering with the combat readiness and operational effectiveness of those stationed here, he has yet another brainstorm. Applying charcoal to parchment, he draws a rough sketch of a battlefield--complete with terrain features and scaled-down defensive works--large enough to accommodate a sizable portion of each Clan's forces. A three-way contest of "Capture the Banner" fought with practice weapons, Ginzo muses, should allow the soldiers not only to vent their excess emotions, but also to develop the camaraderie that is presently lacking, even if in the end only one Clan succeeds in winning the bragging rights from their grand melee. Once he sees the plans for such robust and healthy competition, the commander would immediately endorse the idea, Ginzo is sure of it.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Masami

Your nocturnal perambulations do not reveal anything especially unexpected. There's a small amount of activity from the night watch but you manage not to encounter anyone directly. As far as you can tell from a cursory once-over, everything is in order.

Natsumi

Unfortunately, this part of the Wall is in an area that has had to be forcibly purified by Kuni shugenja to cleanse it of the taint, leading to its near-total abandonment by the kami. You are unable to contact any local kami.

Everyone

Morning comes, and the bustle of activity as the greater part of the force attached to the Watchpoint awakens makes it nearly impossible to oversleep. Tarou is ready and waiting for you, though he has a somber expression on his face.

"I regret to inform you that Hida Yoshimi--whom you met last night under less than ideal circumstances--was found dead this morning."

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

She looks a bit confused at first. "...What? Are you serious!? Murdered?" But that quickly gives way to indignant rage. "Take us to the scene right now! Tell us everything you know along the way and let everyone here know that if they are anything but compliant with our investigation I will personally see to their punishment!"

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

Ginzo quickly completes his morning preparations, makes sure his armor and mustache are properly presentable, and straps on his no-dachi as he calls to Tarou, "I trust Hiruma-san is already apprised of the situation? If so, summon as well the Matsu woman with whom the deceased had the altercation yesterday. Sayako, i believe her name was."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi frowns slightly. Of course it had to happen while they were inspecting.

"I will accompany you, Mayumi.

"Who found the body?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tarou's expression sinks into further disquiet. "As the commander of this watchpoint, of course Hiruma-chui has been advised of this situation. As for Sayako-san...no one has been able to find her this morning, though she was seen in bed last night. Her daisho remain, as well..." He trails off, uncertain how that news will be taken, then takes a deep breath and continues.

"The--Hida-san was found by the morning patrol. The state of the body was...I am told...quite shameful. It is this way." He leads you towards the Crab's practice grounds.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

Attempting to prevent unpleasant rumors about this incident from spreading will probably be as effective as attempting to close a breach in the Wall after the Oni is already through, Ginzo thinks to himself, but they may as well try. So he addresses Tarou once again, saying, "It sounds to me like the sight of the deceased is liable to unduly increase the strife among the Clans...what units are on duty currently? They must ensure that none others can approach the body. And be sure that a Kuni is in attendance as well." He does not bother to explain that aspect of his order. Never forget what lies beyond that Wall was the first lesson that his sensei had drilled into his head every single day of his training.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayami

Hayami is shocked at the news. "And the Lion are supposed to be famous for Bushido!", he exclaims, half out loud. "Tarou-san, we clearly need to find Sayako-san at once. You know this area and we do not. Where would she run? Only if we find her and execute her quickly can we keep this from turning into a bigger thing." It was, of course, obvious to anyone who could see it. The Hida and Matsu had quarreled, and while the arrival of the inspection team had broken the brawl up, unfortunately, their rage (both Hida and Matsu were known for their fury) remained. So, Sayako came to finish the job of the day before, and then, filled with shame for her actions, fled the Wall.

It was sad, but that's what can come of mingling the clans like that for an extended period.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"More than anything we need to figure out what happened. As we learned earlier these feuds are far from an uncommon occurrence. We do not yet know who is truly responsible though what we do know does point towards the Matsu, especially their sudden absence. We need to check out the body, the scene and search for the suspect, and we need to deal with this as quickly as possible."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"This seems like quite an obvious matter," Masami says, her voice a placid mask to cover over her irritation at not having caught so much a glimpse of this last night. "Examine the body if you must, but if the killer has fled we should not delay in finding her. Are any horses missing? That will complicate matters if it is so."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
You are led to the practice grounds, where the body was found. A shugenja is present, wearing the traditional Kuni facepaint, making him almost frightening. A number of guards have been posted, and a few eta are about to assist the Kuni in his gruesome work. One is currently examining the body of Hida Yoshimi.

A cloak has been set up, tent-like, to conceal her body and provide some small dignity in death. The body is otherwise naked, and has been smudged with dirt--the lack of clothes anywhere in sight indicates that she was found this way. From what you can see, there are no obvious wounds on the body and no obvious cause of death.

This being a practice yard, the ground is heavily churned, and you cannot tell from that alone whether there was a struggle. There are no obvious traces of the corpse having been dragged here. The number of guards, eta, and others in the area have also likely obliterated many of what traces would have remained.

Remember, evidence isn't really a Thing in Rokugan, so preserving the crime scene isn't always a prime concern, especially in a case with such an obvious culprit.

Tarou has sent one of his crew of eta to inquire at the stables, and upon that man's return you are informed that there are no signs of Sayako having taken a mount. He also advises you that apparently she left more than her daisho--her personal effects are all untouched, with nothing missing at all. If anything, it's as though she had stepped out. He has also taken the initiative of sending another of his eta to check in at the kitchens and provisions stores, to see if anything has gone unaccounted for, though the nature of the request means that that eta will take some time to return. Tarou seems to desire to anticipate your needs as much as possible.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi looks over the scene, with poorly-concealed distaste. Especially the body!

"No sword wounds... So, Sayako-san killed Hida-san with something else, stole her clothes and left Watchpoint Sixty-Three on foot."

"What is she up to? Are there any good places to hide nearby?"

4k3 Investigation, trying to figure out how she died. I also have 3k2 Medicine if that helps.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 2, 2013

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"This is most confusing, and I must say does not necessarily point to the Matsu unless she has taken effort to learn about poisons or something more sinister. I would have expected a knife in the back at the very worst but don't see any wounds like that. And why is she naked? Her clothes aren't around, did she walk outside like that? Kuni-san, please tell me everything you have learned from the body, I'm hoping you can tell us something enlightening about this situation."

Looking around to see if I can see anything helpful Investigation 3k2

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"How odd," says Masami, frowning behind her veil and bending to look at what might have killed the unfortunate Hida. "This seems too subtle for the nature of the conflict between her and Sayako-san, at least from the glimpse we had. Still, she must have some involvement, else she'd not have fled."

I will also take a crack at Investigation, at 3k2. As well, I'll try and think of if this matches what I know of any poisons, but I don't know what stat that takes. Craft (poison) skill is at 2 though.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The Kuni looks at you for a moment. "You must be the magistrates Hiruma-chui advised me of. Very well, I shall share what I can." He beckons you over to the body. His eta servants, familiar with his needs, stand ready to move the body or indicate points.

"Hida-san was not murdered with a weapon. As you can see, there are no injuries on the front of her body...and on the back, the only damage is to her heels, scrapes and abrasions as though she were dragged. The lack of blood indicates that these scrapes were caused after her death." He nods to the eta, who return the body to its previous position after lifting and turning it to show you the scrapes he is referring to.

"Now, there are numerous poisons which could have caused her to die, though we have found none of the telltale signs of any of them. There are also no signs that she was engaged in any sort of struggle, nor of internal injury. By all indications...it appears to be a death caused by suffocation." The Kuni looks up, straightening.

"I am informed that, when the body was discovered, it had been arranged in a...compromising position. When I arrived I found that to be the case. I had my servants re-arrange her to be less shamefully posed. I have no idea where her clothes are, nor why anyone would do such a thing." As an afterthought, he adds, "I would wager that this occurred no more than a few hours before dawn."

Natsumi

Tarou advises you that on this side of the wall, there is nowhere good to hide within the distance that could be covered on foot in the few hours since the occurrence, nor even within ready riding distance. Over the wall is another story, however--though the majority of the forces of Jigoku have been driven back, there are still stragglers, scouts, and infiltrators found on a regular basis, and someone with no supplies and no weapons would be in extreme danger.

Masami

From what you know of poisons, the Kuni's assessment is correct.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

Ginzo follows closely as the Kuni offers her explanation of the body's condition, waiting until he concludes to ask his own questions. "You say she was in a 'compromising position'? How so, more than being disrobed?" Then, to Tarou, "If you would, send someone to those currently watching upon the Wall, to discover if any activity has already been reported recently. Also inform them that we wish to be informed if they see anything in the future--after they raise any required alarms, obviously."

Per/Investigation = 5k3 for my examination. For example, are any of the dirt smudges in a significant pattern, or are they just dirt?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Ginzo

The Kuni--who you suddenly realize is quite young--clears his throat, awkwardly. "Her position was...suggestive of...certain..." He shakes his head. "It was compromising."

Tarou, slightly amused in spite of the situation at the obvious discomfort of the shugenja, nods to your request and sets about sending off his eta to make the necessary inquiries.

As far as you can tell, the dirt is just dirt.

One of the Crab guards leans over as you're standing up. "If you want my opinion," he says in a conspiratorial tone, "this is the work of some new kind of Shadowlands creature. Matsu Sayako was a tough fighter, but no way could she have done this." He nods, as the Kuni glares daggers at him.

An eta rushes up to Tarou, and whispers in his ear. The heimin nods, and turns to you.

"My men report that no supplies have been taken from the stores."

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Utaku Kaori

"My main concern, other than that for the deceased, is for the state of this watchpost. If we were to be attacked right this moment, would we be prepared? Attacks like this are often a misdirection, a ploy to get our attention elsewhere." She consults her notes, particularly those regarding the supplies and stables. "If it is to your pleasure, Tarou-san, I would have a scouting party confirm the safety of the watchpost and be vigilant of an oncoming attack."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami paces around the scene, frown even deeper behind her veil. She asks, "Without intention of casting aspersions upon her character, did she have any lovers here? Or anyone whose attention she sought?" She pauses, then asks, "Or was anyone attempting to attract her attention in such manner?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tarou shrugs. "Such things were beyond me, of course, as a mere heimin. If anything you would need to discuss that with her fellows and those who roomed near her in the barracks. As for ensuring heightened patrols, I imagine Hiruma-chui has already seen to such things, but again, you would have to check with him on that, I'm afraid."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

Ginzo is not sure which is worse, to endorse the obvious explanation for the source of the strife and potentially have the conflict spread from the two feuding women to the others, or to advocate for the more sinister explanation and have all of the samurai endlessly suspicious of one other. After a moment, he decides that straightforward inter-Clan murder is more appealing than the insidious alternative. While it is possible that some manner of Tainted creature had infiltrated their camp, to believe that anyone around them could be a Shadowlands agent is to tread the path toward believing that everyone was a Shadowlands agent. And there was not (yet) sufficient reason to spread that level of paranoia among an army that already showed signs of strained discipline.

"That is always a possibility here, Crab-san," he says, looking towards the Wall meaningfully. "But as of yet there is no reason to believe that a Shadowlands creature has managed to breach the Wall without us knowing. We must be vigilant, as always, but as of now it appears that this death has a more mundane explanation."

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Utaku Kaori

Given the choice between a united front against a true threat, or the paranoia of inter-Clan murder, Kaori realized the only option was to turn the watchpost against a Shadowland assassin. Its existence was of less concern than its potential for unity. "I disagree, Kaiu-san. The Shadowlands are our enemy always; I find it far more likely the threat lies from without than from within a brave, disciplined unit of soldiers."
She turns to Tarou. "Are we the only ones to have seen and examined this event? It would be poor for morale were the rumor to spread, I would think."

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"I agree with Utaku-San. This does not seem like anything a samurai would have experience with, and to leave the body out in the open would serve no purpose but to undermine the fighting spirit of the warriors here. Whatever we do we must act quickly, the longer we wait the farther away the suspect might flee. I'll accompany Soshi-san in case anyone isn't forthcoming in their answers."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Torn between what this looks like to her based on her earlier snap judgement and her sister Kaori claiming the other thing, Natsumi avoids agreeing with either of them. "Yes, we need to find Sayako, and quickly. I will accompany Kaori-san."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayami

Hayami considers the Utaku's suggestion of a Shadowlands assassin and dismisses it. "Are you suggesting there's some assassin from the Shadowlands hiding nearby? If so, why kill her? Wouldn't an assassin strike at Haruma-san or someone important? Why just a regular guard? More likely she was killed by the woman she quarreled with, who then disappeared. At any rate, I agree we need to find Sakayo. But did Sakayo have any friends here? Maybe one of them would know something about where she might go or what she might do. Otherwise, we're just running around blind."

"Take us to the Lion barracks", he orders Tarou. "If we're done here?", he asks the rest.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Kaori

The Kuni shakes his head in answer to your question. "News travels quick in a camp like this. Word's already out about it, especially with the rush of activity the investigation is causing. By lunchtime I'd expect half the camp to know."

Hayami

Tarou nods and leads you to the Lion barracks. At this hour, it's mostly empty, with only the night watch around, and they're doing their best to sleep. Tarou speaks for a few moments to the door guard, who examines you then nods.

"We can go inside," Tarou tells you, "but we're to be accompanied by one of the Lion. Propriety, and such, since this is the female barracks. She can show us to Sayako-san's quarters and help to answer questions."

The Lion guard has sent a runner off, who returns momentarily with a female Lion dressed in light armor, who grins when she sees you. "Ahh, an admirer of the arts, come to pay me a visit when I'm on duty?" You recognize her as the Ikoma you saw rehearsing last night, Ikoma Serika.

Who is going with Hayami, and who wishes to follow a different lead?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

"Very well, Kuni-san. Thank you for your assistance. If you discover anything else of consequence, please inform us. But now, the body can be honored in a manner befitting her life as a soldier of the Crab." As he follows the others, Ginzo adds, "We should likewise examine the Crab's possessions in her barracks; perhaps that should be our next stop after the Lion barracks."

I'm with Hayami, at least for now. Also, this is probably a long shot, but: are there any Shadowlands creatures known for tying sex into their violence? Do, like, bog hags or something make a habit of seducing their victims before strangling them? Lore: Shadowlands = 5k4.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"Well, even if it is possible it should not be the first thing we look to. A mundane explanation is less likely to agitate the people here. I will not rule it out, but let us look to people first." Consequently, she accompanies Hayami and Ginzo to the barracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

"I was overwhelmed by your acting talent, and decided to throw myself at your feet as your servant, Serika-san", he says jokingly. "But alas, we are here for another reason. You have no doubt heard that Hida Yoshimi is dead and Matsu Sayako is missing? We were hoping that there might be something here that might tell us what happened to her, or someone here who might have some idea as to where she might be. Is there anything you might know that can help us, Serika-san?

Investigation/perception to interrogate her? 4k2.

• Locked thread