Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TheMcD posted:

Gotta be Iraq. You can form loving Babylon, how is that not the best thing ever?

Ireland gets to start out with UK's super-technology. Sadly, Ireland's only resources are fish and cattle, so industrializing might be a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do Bavaria. Vicky2 is best when your playing in the European Thunderdome as a second rate power. Most countries else where have a bad tendancy toward the boring and easy as you have really limited options when you start out and no serious opposition once you get going. Bavaria has lots of possibilities and lots of really powerful enemies in every direction.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheMcD posted:

Gotta be Iraq. You can form loving Babylon, how is that not the best thing ever?

The fascist Babylon flag is a black flag with the seven-headed dragon Tiamat on it. It loving owns.

edit: someone needs to make a flavor mod for Babylon. I want events and decisions about building tacky neopagan ziggurnauts, calling Islam a decadent Semitic religion and trying to revive the worship of marduk.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 17, 2013

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

SickZip posted:

Do Bavaria. Vicky2 is best when your playing in the European Thunderdome as a second rate power. Most countries else where have a bad tendancy toward the boring and easy as you have really limited options when you start out and no serious opposition once you get going. Bavaria has lots of possibilities and lots of really powerful enemies in every direction.

German minors are a BAD idea. I'm pretty sure NGF just outright annexes you if you're in their SOI when they form the German Empire. That, ot you can refuse and be jumped on by the German Empire almost instantly.

TheMcD posted:

You can form the Byzantine Empire as Greece, but it requires actually playing as Greece. Not worth it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gantolandon posted:

German minors are a BAD idea. I'm pretty sure NGF just outright annexes you if you're in their SOI when they form the German Empire. That, ot you can refuse and be jumped on by the German Empire almost instantly.

Bavaria is a bit different. If you can play it right (and I trust in Patter Song's ability to do so since I have no reason to doubt his credentials), you can play off of Prussia's and Austria's hateboner for each other to cripple the former (by annexing the Rheinland and occupying them for a while) and steal the minors from the sphere of the latter to form the SGF.

Still, if you can't form the SGF, yeah, then you're hosed.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Gantolandon posted:

You can form the Byzantine Empire as Greece, but it requires actually playing as Greece. Not worth it.

Pity the poor men who try to play Greece.

What I'm say is, pity me for ever trying - pre AND post crisis system.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gantolandon posted:

I wouldn't advise Saxony or any of the other German minors but Bavaria can easily be a Great Power by the time the AI is close to forming Germany, the AI manages it all the time if your slow. Alternately, play the diplomatic game and get Russia/France/The-Other-German-Major to help you smash up Prussia/Austria if they start getting close. It adds difficulty and another thing you have to manage.

edit: actually, Luxembourg is really cool too. Really really hard unless you manage diplomacy perfectly and get lucky, but you get to form a German Empire with N. German, S. German, and French (:rms:) as accepted cultures.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 17, 2013

sureaboutthatthing
Oct 15, 2013
I vote for Bavaria, with Johore as backup.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Zulu, in honor of recent events. :vuvu:

Yes, I know Mandela was Xhosa. It's as close as we're going to get.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Zulu or Austria.
From the greatest to the smallest.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TheMcD posted:

Still, if you can't form the SGF, yeah, then you're hosed.

There's also gamey abuse of "Crown from the Gutter" to let yourself become "Germany" early and start annexing the minors with all your free cores, usually by waiting until France and Prussia are at war and then DOWing Prussia and adding "Restore Order" CB to every individual minor and then Prussia itself while the Prussian army's marching around Normandy.

Yes, I've done that, and no, that's not what I'll do here. Crown From the Gutter Germany is a Con Mon with the Republic flag and liberal political reforms, and Mad King Ludwig isn't going to take that unless there's no other option.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Viva La Mexico
We have a lot of Afro-Eurasia LPs going on right now - let's have some good old-fashioned fights over Texan oil.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Patter Song posted:

There's also gamey abuse of "Crown from the Gutter" to let yourself become "Germany" early and start annexing the minors with all your free cores, usually by waiting until France and Prussia are at war and then DOWing Prussia and adding "Restore Order" CB to every individual minor and then Prussia itself while the Prussian army's marching around Normandy.

Yes, I've done that, and no, that's not what I'll do here. Crown From the Gutter Germany is a Con Mon with the Republic flag and liberal political reforms, and Mad King Ludwig isn't going to take that unless there's no other option.

Taking any sort of crown from the gutter is a terrible, terrible thing, and I would protest any usage of it in any Vicky 2 LP. :colbert:

Good to hear that won't be happening.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
ZULUUUUU!

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

The Sandman posted:

Zulu, in honor of recent events. :vuvu:

Yes, I know Mandela was Xhosa. It's as close as we're going to get.

If POP ever comes up, we could do Xhosa. Though it's DOW Day 1 by Britain.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Gonna vote for Bavaria

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm casting my vote for the other Zulu. :colbert:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Bavaria. They have very good industrial potential. I've always found Zulu a rather sad proposition because there are a hundred different cultures in Africa and the Zulu only accept their own. It's easy to get a massive population, but your primary culture pops will always be rather anemic as an African nation.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zulu, because I love you.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Bavaria

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Johore with a back up of Mexico
Because that part of the world is so seldom explored in these threads except as a place to colonize.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Hopefully Colombia can make a rally!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Bavaria should still be somewhat difficult.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Come on Patter Song, don't be a whimp. Play Zulu!

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

SickZip posted:

edit: actually, Luxembourg is really cool too. Really really hard unless you manage diplomacy perfectly and get lucky, but you get to form a German Empire with N. German, S. German, and French (:rms:) as accepted cultures.

I would love to see this, but if that's off the table then I'll have to say Bavaria.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Play Mexico! :)

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

BeervariaBavaria

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Protect your ancestral land from the filthy yankees as Mexico

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
Let's colonize Europe! Zulu

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Bavaria because I want to see some crises and great wars.

Baelish
Feb 8, 2013
Voting for Bavaria

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Comon guys, Zulu are loving badasses. I want to see how far the OP can take them.

Go for African Supremacy!

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Bavaria sounds cools.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm not gonna get it, but Mexico!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm calling it. I'm counting 19 Bavaria, 16 Zulu, no one else close. Anyone care to double-check that?

Sorry to all you Zulu/Johore fans, we'll be going with Bavaria.

Bavaria was actually my first-ever V2 game, back in V2 vanilla. Bavaria's since been nerfed somewhat to prevent it from breaking up German unification, but even with the nerfs it's still one of the best tags around for technological and cultural domination. Bavaria's 70% literacy (was 80% in earlier versions of V2) give it an early edge in teching and research and its three state setup allows it a reasonable shot at achieving Great Power status on its own merits even in AI hands. However, Bavaria has one glaring problem. If it has all the South German lands owned or sphered, it will annex Baden and Wurtemburg (and Austria if it happens to be in Bavaria's sphere) and form the South German Federation. However, if you look at the map on the first page, one South German province, the traditional Hohenzollern family holding of Sigmaringen, is in Prussian hands. If we want to have any shot at this, we need to somehow pry that out of Prussia's hands. It gets worse: if we aren't a Great Power when we get Sigmaringen, we'll probably be in Austria's sphere. If we take it then, Austria will enact it's Form South German Federation decision, which annexes us, Baden, and Wurtemburg and releases the SGF in its place as a puppet of Austria. This would be game over for us. We need to take Sigmarignen, but not too early...but if we wait too long, Prussia will form the North German Federation and become a military behemoth. Bavaria is all about needling this narrow gap.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
drat, I just wanted to vote Bavaria.
Then again, it won, so I'm happy.

Looking forward to the first post, Patter.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Patter Song posted:

However, if you look at the map on the first page, one South German province, the traditional Hohenzollern family holding of Sigmaringen, is in Prussian hands. If we want to have any shot at this, we need to somehow pry that out of Prussia's hands.

I've always wondered how historical this was. It would probably be too easy for Austria to form the SGF without it, but I've always thought it was weird that Prussia had that little enclave surrounded by south Germans who start in Austria's Sphere.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Xenoborg posted:

I've always wondered how historical this was. It would probably be too easy for Austria to form the SGF without it, but I've always thought it was weird that Prussia had that little enclave surrounded by south Germans who start in Austria's Sphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Hohenzollern

It was pretty much inevitable with German minors from the HRE being the clusterfuck they are.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Aw, I was looking forward to African Supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xenoborg posted:

The idea of Bavaria, Baden, and Wurttemberg getting together and deciding to form a South German state independent of Berlin or Vienna, but balking upon the realization that a tiny bit of Württemberg is in Prussian hands is hilarious.

• Locked thread