Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well drat, I'm going to have to get this now that I have a PS3. 98 MS? gently caress yeah!

There's just one thing missing. No Ramba Ral.

Oh well, I guess I can just play as Norris Packard and just pretend. (The Gouf Custom is cooler, anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well drat, I'm going to have to get this now that I have a PS3. 98 MS? gently caress yeah!

There's just one thing missing. No Ramba Ral.

Oh well, I guess I can just play as Norris Packard and just pretend. (The Gouf Custom is cooler, anyway.)

DLC is inevitable for something like this.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Given that most of the DLC for EXVS was stuff that came out for Full Boost when it was out in arcades, I'd guess that the EXVSFB DLC is going to be things that are new in Maxi Boost. If so, you'll be getting Char's Zaku/Z'Gok and the G-Armor from 0079.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Falj_ySwQM4

Lacus and Johnny trailer!

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
I don't have the magazine scans handy, but Shin Matsunaga's Zaku II and Quatre's Wing Zero were seemingly announced as some kind of DLC.

e: found it. They're 400 yen a piece.

Not Dave fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 24, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Not Dave posted:

I don't have the magazine scans handy, but Shin Matsunaga's Zaku II and Quatre's Wing Zero were seemingly announced as some kind of DLC.

e: found it. They're 400 yen a piece.

That seems like some lame rear end DLC. One of them doesn't even need a recolor of the suit it's based on.

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, I thought the Quatre Wing Zero thing was a joke. At 5 bucks, I think I'll be skipping that one unless he plays significantly differently from regular Wing Zero.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
What's funny is I learn about Full Boost after I've ordered Extrene Vs. I ordered it a month ago, but since it was Japan it just arrived the other day.

Well, on the bright side it was just around $30. On Amazon, Full Boost is like $80 minimum.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
A friend of mine and I picked up Extreme Vs recently. We're both really new to the game and generally play online co-op vs the CPU to learn the game and suits, but we're having a hard time... well... winning. :blush: Is there a way to adjust the CPU difficulty during online play? Along similar lines, we've noticed that CPU opponents cost half as much BP; we'd be OK if we were playing versus each other and had a CPU ally at half BP cost, but as we're both playing together against the CPU that seems a bit unbalanced. Can that be adjusted?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

What's funny is I learn about Full Boost after I've ordered Extrene Vs. I ordered it a month ago, but since it was Japan it just arrived the other day.

Well, on the bright side it was just around $30. On Amazon, Full Boost is like $80 minimum.

I'm getting mine from amiami which is the best place for no mark up.

Also I know it's a weird thing to want to do, but with how much I just generally have played fighting games and vanilla extreme boost, I kinda wanted to do a video prep guide for new players. It's a bit ambitious though and requires better editing skills than I possess.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

GFBeach posted:

A friend of mine and I picked up Extreme Vs recently. We're both really new to the game and generally play online co-op vs the CPU to learn the game and suits, but we're having a hard time... well... winning. :blush: Is there a way to adjust the CPU difficulty during online play? Along similar lines, we've noticed that CPU opponents cost half as much BP; we'd be OK if we were playing versus each other and had a CPU ally at half BP cost, but as we're both playing together against the CPU that seems a bit unbalanced. Can that be adjusted?

Honestly, just keep trying. Check out a bunch of the beginner resources in the OP and make sure you're using fundamental techniques like boost jumps and BR zundas. Make sure you aren't expending all your boost in one go unless you really need to. And lastly make sure you're always firing on angle (the #1 thing that catches new players out, especially VS the CPU). The CPU in this game isn't "hard" per se, but it's designed in such a way that it forces you to learn the fundamental techniques to beat it. If you have any issues understanding any of the dumb tryhard terms I used up there, just ask and I'll give you a more precise explanation.

Generally the #1 issue I see with players new to the game is that they're too eager to keep flying all the time and always expend all their boost before landing, which makes you stay still for a big delay when you finally hit the ground.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

GFBeach posted:

Best thing I recommend is to do solo practice against the AI on Extreme difficulty. You're gonna get whopped pretty bad, but you'll eventually learn what you are doing wrong. Extreme Vs has the benefit of being not as in depth as other fighting games and chances are finding what you hosed up in is going to be pretty easy. If you have a way of recording the footage, I'm sure anyone here would be happy to look over it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm getting this game just to play with my gunpla club after meetings, so I'd like to know two things:

1) Can both versions of the game use your PS3's music, or just the Cool Box Art edition? It doesn't really matter that much, but I'd like to know if I could throw out all of the j-pop for actual battle music.

2) As I understand it, the PS3 is only strong enough to support 1 v 1 local multiplayer. I think it's safe to assume that at that point, all strategy goes out the window, so I'm kind of worried that it'll turn into "whoever has the highest cost suit wins". Which would kind of blow since I wanted to do something silly like "you can only play as the characters you have kits of". But yeah, how's 1 v 1?

EDIT: Also, how are the Impulse and the X Divider? Because I am totally maining those guys.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Also, how are the Impulse and the X Divider? Because I am totally maining those guys.

The X-Divider is similar to First Gundam in that it is a mid range suit that can fill the air with a bazillion different types of projectile, while Impulse is a scaled up version of the Strike with a much faster and smoother change between packs and no IWSP equivalent.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm getting this game just to play with my gunpla club after meetings, so I'd like to know two things:

1) Can both versions of the game use your PS3's music, or just the Cool Box Art edition? It doesn't really matter that much, but I'd like to know if I could throw out all of the j-pop for actual battle music.

2) As I understand it, the PS3 is only strong enough to support 1 v 1 local multiplayer. I think it's safe to assume that at that point, all strategy goes out the window, so I'm kind of worried that it'll turn into "whoever has the highest cost suit wins". Which would kind of blow since I wanted to do something silly like "you can only play as the characters you have kits of". But yeah, how's 1 v 1?

EDIT: Also, how are the Impulse and the X Divider? Because I am totally maining those guys.

1) Yeah, custom soundtracks is a feature for all versions of the game. AFAIK the only thing that you get with G sound is better box art and some bonus MP3s to download from the PSN store.

2) The game really doesn't work 1v1. The whole game system and setup is balanced around the idea of multiple opponents and in a 1v1 scenario the game becomes extremely simple and boring. As one example, in a strict 1v1 situation the first player to use boost loses, since the other player can take off afterwards, constantly aim at the first player's landings, and eventually score a hit for free because they have a boost advantage. There are also a bunch of suits that have big advantages in a 1v1 situation - for example, you should never really lose a 1v1 with Destiny. It's not so much about cost, rather than the game just not being balanced at all for 1v1 play.

If you can only get one setup, your best bet for competitive play is score or time challenges in arcade mode with 2p co-op, which has its own set of strategies that make it interesting and fun.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

You can give each player a CPU ally, though, if you want to play local VS.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Demicol posted:

You can give each player a CPU ally, though, if you want to play local VS.

How is the CPU AI these days? I haven't played this series since Next Plus on PSP. It seems like playing competitively with an AI partner on each side would create weird situations where you try to bully the AI partners because they are more predictable and simple than the human player.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somewhere along the way a table was broken in the OP.

Please add me to the list
lurikeenrock

between shin gundam musou and this its been a good time to like gundam
I'm a total novice looking for local play in the SoCal area if possible. I have an extra stick as well.

as for that day1 DLC, can someone point me at a resource for making a JP PSN account?

Im reading the OP and wow I wish i knew about blocking when i first played.
Is blocking negated by grapple type moves and is there chip damage?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 27, 2014

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Is blocking negated by grapple type moves and is there chip damage?

Nope and no.

edit: I know it's Kotaku but if you can stomach it here's a guide to setting up a Japanese PSN account.

Dol fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 27, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does this game have combos or is it more about wakeup pressure and trapping them in unfavorable positions? How does a hard AI compare to a good player? Do they just read your inputs or are they actually good at the game?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

It should be noted that blocking isn't considered a part of stable play in this game, or to be more exact, it's Bad. It's a very solid defence vs the player attacking you, but since this is a 2v2 game, you leave yourself sitting floating in the air to be attacked by your other opponent. Blocking is more of a desperation tool when you've exhausted every other option to avoid taking some damage.

When I was starting out with this game, Brett explained it to me as blocking in itself being a sign of having made a mistake. Rather than working on my blocking, I should instead have worked on improving my game sense and positioning to avoid ever being put in a situation where I had to block.

As for combos, yeah this game has combos and some of them can get complex. But you rarely have an opportunity to do fancy combos in a 2v2 environment, and you have to balance the advantages of damage vs other things like down value (how quickly will this knock them down?) and cut resistance (how much does this combo move me around, making me harder to shoot while i do it?) when deciding what combo to use.

The AI is hard enough to teach you all the core fundamentals of the game but that's it. At harder difficulty levels in Arcade mode the game maintains a challenge by pitting you against 3 or 4 enemies at once. The AI is fairly easy to "cheese" and will teach you bad habits if you're committed to gitting gud at this game.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Go ahead and add me to the list, even though I'm going to be a total newbie. SpikeMcclaneJP

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Weird question but how does this compare to that in either the arcade/PS2 Zeta: AEUG vs Titans or Gundam vs Zeta Gundam from the mid 2000s.
I must have played hundreds of hours of both of those games and this one looks pretty tempting.

VV EDIT: SOLD! Thank you. VV

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 27, 2014

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Looking at a gameplay video of Gundam VS Zeta it looks like a much slower paced version of this game.

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Is there any kind of LAN play available to link multiple ps3s or do you have to go through the online matchmaking?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

you have to use the online I'm afraid. the PS3s will still connect to each other over the LAN, though.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

PSN Name is ManSeriesSA.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Got the play-asia shipping note; we'll all have our copies soon.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Is it out on PSN? For what price?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Midjack posted:

Got the play-asia shipping note; we'll all have our copies soon.

Was just about to post this. Now to figure out how my club's going to handle the multiplayer.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Was just about to post this. Now to figure out how my club's going to handle the multiplayer.

12000 Cost limit, best of 3. No partners. Final Destination, Wing Zero only.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't think it has local multiplayer, but you might look at getting a copy of Gundam Breaker, too, since it's literally Gunpla: The Game.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nah there's 1 v 1, but as mentioned above that's pretty much broken. 2 v 2 with AI partners might be workable though.

Also Gundam Breaker is entirely unsuited for a party, since unless everyone gets a copy we can't really mess around with the multiplayer. Not at all workable.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

12000 Cost limit, best of 3. No partners. Final Destination, Wing Zero only.

Current plan is "you can only pick this if you have a model of it", which pretty much means all of the new guys are screwed since the AGE-1 is only in Maxi Boost. Though I guess the guys picking up the 00 SS/G can twist the rules a bit and pick the 00 R. :v:

EDIT: V Whoops.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 30, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah there's 1 v 1, but as mentioned above that's pretty much broken. 2 v 2 with AI partners might be workable though.

Also Gundam Breaker is entirely unsuited for a party, since unless everyone gets a copy we can't really mess around with the multiplayer. Not at all workable.
Misunderstanding. When I said I didn't think there was local multiplayer, I meant Breaker.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Anybody mind explaining Epyon to me? Don't really understand how his melee works.

Edit: I'm just trying to learn how to do the izuna drop.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 31, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm still waiting on my copy, but jesus Christ does lacus's infinite justice look completely broken. It seems insanely good for a 1000 unit.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmhtMxeeduA

Kirin posted up a guide to the menus, for the less japanese-inclined of us.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OK, it's here.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I'm still waiting on my copy, but jesus Christ does lacus's infinite justice look completely broken. It seems insanely good for a 1000 unit.

It kinda is. The Infinite Justice was pretty up there on the tier list in vanilla FB, and LIJ is pretty much the exact same thing minus a few things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My copy is still enroute, but I noticed pay-DLC is coming out next week. anyone here plan on buying all the DLC that ever comes out? I'm looking for a JP psn share and ill pay more than 50% if you do the buying

• Locked thread