Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Elaborating on why would be spoilers, but I'm pretty positive the zombies in RE2 are G-virus zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Snicker-Snack posted:

Elaborating on why would be spoilers, but I'm pretty positive the zombies in RE2 are G-virus zombies.

They aren't.

Some of the expanded-universe stuff got the T- and G-virus confused way back in the day, but the G-virus flat-out doesn't create zombies. It creates giant mutating beasts like the G-Type and isn't transmissible by any method save direct injection.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

They aren't.

Some of the expanded-universe stuff got the T- and G-virus confused way back in the day, but the G-virus flat-out doesn't create zombies. It creates giant mutating beasts like the G-Type and isn't transmissible by any method save direct injection.

It's been so long since I've played RE2 (a shame, as it's probably my favorite of the series), so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the T-Virus released due to "G" going bonkers and tearing poo poo up at the lab, somehow transmitting it to some rats or some poo poo which infected the populous?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Does the "2 hours" rule only count if you are bitten? Because the Itchy-tasty guy kept a journal for at least a week, but he was likely exposed to the airborne virus.

Yeah, I think it's after death that it's talking about, but it could be the bite for all my outdated RE File knowledge remembers. I think there was a file in the original RE that was written by somebody that had been infected as well, detailing his grand dealings with Bob or somebody, winding up with a sentence later on along the lines of "Well, Bob tasted good today" or something...which was unintentionally hilarious.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

BMS posted:

It's been so long since I've played RE2 (a shame, as it's probably my favorite of the series), so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the T-Virus released due to "G" going bonkers and tearing poo poo up at the lab, somehow transmitting it to some rats or some poo poo which infected the populous?

Yeah, you can see it in the opening video of the LP. William mutates, kills the guys who shot him, and smashes a bunch of virus samples while he's doing it. Since they're standing in the sewers when it happens, rats catch the virus and transmit it into the city.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Does the "2 hours" rule only count if you are bitten? Because the Itchy-tasty guy kept a journal for at least a week, but he was likely exposed to the airborne virus.

I think the 2 hour rule is more of a guideline / average kind of thing, as there are cases of people turning much quicker and much slower. If you recall, in the opening cinematic the "Why'd he bite me?!" truck driver was just bitten. The wound did not seem particularly fatal, yet mere minutes later he is seem completely zombified at the wheel of the truck (I could be wrong, but I think his is the fastest observed zombie transformation, at least until the absurdly fast transformations in RE6). I think it might just be like any other virus, it depends on the person's immune system and a multitude of other factors. I don't think there is just a 2-hour time limit set to when you turn.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Wanderer posted:

They aren't.

Huh, you're right. I could swear Birkin's case only had the G-virus, but rewatching the cutscene it clearly had 2 distinct cartoon chemicals (purple and green). My bad then.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ceraph posted:

I think the 2 hour rule is more of a guideline / average kind of thing, as there are cases of people turning much quicker and much slower. If you recall, in the opening cinematic the "Why'd he bite me?!" truck driver was just bitten. The wound did not seem particularly fatal, yet mere minutes later he is seem completely zombified at the wheel of the truck (I could be wrong, but I think his is the fastest observed zombie transformation, at least until the absurdly fast transformations in RE6). I think it might just be like any other virus, it depends on the person's immune system and a multitude of other factors. I don't think there is just a 2-hour time limit set to when you turn.

I'd say its mostly down to the severity of the bite and other factors as you said, Truck Guy had a fairly meaty chunk taken out of his arm by the looks of the wound and the only other person who's infected we meet is Marvin and he's on death's door when we meet him.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 10 - Fixing Space

We pointed out a couple instances of this in the episode, but I really do enjoy the attention to detail Capcom put into this game. Little things like Claire and Leon turning their heads to look at important things (including spiders and lickers that are hiding outside the camera range on the ceiling) and the fact that your footsteps make different sounds depending on what surfaces you're on. These may sound like trivial things but back when this game was made a lot of games just kind of ignored these things and the little details can go a long way to immersing the player into the game.

Also it is worthwhile to note that the weapon we pick up as Claire in this episode does count as a special weapon and will ruin your chances of an A ranking if you use it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, really, the SMG is a special weapon? I must have known about that at some point because I definitely got an A rank for all the scenarios at some point but I guess I forgot it along the way somewhere.

That said, despite what you suggested, I did in fact use it on a boss. Specifically the one you just fought as Leon. It basically stuns lock the thing and if you tap down whenever the little things charge you'll kill them in a single shot and get through the entire boss without take a single hit. But I guess that's another reason it'll cost you the A rank.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Running off like that was reckless, it's my job to look out for you. We're not going to get through this alive if we don't work together.

Let's split up! :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I'm sure this was all recorded a head of time, but like at least by the second disk you should have read that Lickers are blind and go by sound. So running isn't the best thing to do.

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.
At points the game locks you out of backtracking. Most of the time it's fine: it would be counterproductive to try and revisit the streets outside the RPD, for example. I don't remember where the next point of no return is, but I think it may be coming up soon if it hasn't happened already.

I mention it because it looks like you aren't planning to upgrade Leon's handgun, or clean out the RPD armory.

I'm enjoying the simultaneity of the two stories, it's a nice effect to see them side by side - even though they don't end up interacting as much as I remember thinking they would, back when I first played this game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Kaislioc posted:

Running off like that was reckless, it's my job to look out for you. We're not going to get through this alive if we don't work together.

Let's split up! :v:

Its the Scooby Doo method of exploring, "Instead of exploring this abandoned hospital that has a horrible monster hiding in it together, lets split up, the monster will never go for the vulnerable ones first!"

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Ceraph posted:

Also it is worthwhile to note that the weapon we pick up as Claire in this episode does count as a special weapon and will ruin your chances of an A ranking if you use it.

The ranking system's kind of a mess and there's a lot of stuff people think is true or isn't true about it. The worst part is it differs between games and seemingly between different versions/ports of a game. There's a bunch of stuff about it and I'm pretty sure I could make a post or two about it later, but the cliff notes version is this:

Either the Submachine Gun (and two other guns that will show up later) aren't special weapons, or they only impact your rank as opposed to ruining it.*

I have multiple runs of the game where I pick up all the special weapons and still manage an A rank, so don't worry so much about wrecking your rank over that. The things that ruin your rank, definitively, are time (above 3 hours a scenario and you aren't getting it), First Aid Spray usage (even 1 will ping you), taking unlockable items from getting an A rank out of the item box (seriously, if you even move it you get pinged a rank), and saving too much (I can't remember the specifics, but I want to say it's above three or five in 2). So long as you don't hit those you're on your way to an A rank and all the fun that it gives you.

*This is for the Dual Shock version, which if I recall you're playing. I am not sure about the original, N64, or Gamecube ports.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 10, 2014

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This is just an aside, but I believe that Acid rounds for the grenade launcher are more effective against Lickers than the explosive rounds, as well. But mind you, I'm pulling this from RE5, so I'd assume they'd be good here, too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

This is just an aside, but I believe that Acid rounds for the grenade launcher are more effective against Lickers than the explosive rounds, as well. But mind you, I'm pulling this from RE5, so I'd assume they'd be good here, too.

I believe Flame and Acid rounds are both straight upgrades over explosive rounds, the main difference being that they're a single projectile as opposed to explosive's fragments. You want to save them for boss fights, mostly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

IIRC, acid rounds are for Lickers and flame rounds are for bosses. Explosive rounds aren't awful, but for some reason in this game, they're basically buckshot with splash damage and they're best against big crowds of zombies, i.e. that giant mob waiting for you when you enter the RPD's east wing from the lobby.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Acid is usually for bosses, Claire reloads fast enough that explosive rounds work VERY well against lickers and other enemies that are not bosses. Flame rounds I have only ever found one use for them and that is at the end game for the Ivy

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
In general, there's enough grenade ammo in this game that you don't need to be "optimal" with which you use. So long as you don't mind getting close to enemies and taking a hit now and again, using regular grenades isn't a bad solution, even for bosses. Acid grenades should pretty much be exclusively used on Lickers, and Flame rounds for bosses (or Ivy Plant Monsters.). However, there's nothing stopping you from blowing everything up if you've been thorough with finding ammo. Just remember to cycle in the pistol or crossbow now and again to deal with a mob of zombies or something.

(If you aren't thorough, though, ignore what I said: save the grenades for bosses or bullshit enemies as well, and use the pistol and crossbow until both run dry. Claire's got it bad enough and her B scenario is not forgiving.)

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Mountain Lightning posted:

In general, there's enough grenade ammo in this game that you don't need to be "optimal" with which you use. So long as you don't mind getting close to enemies and taking a hit now and again, using regular grenades isn't a bad solution, even for bosses. Acid grenades should pretty much be exclusively used on Lickers, and Flame rounds for bosses (or Ivy Plant Monsters.). However, there's nothing stopping you from blowing everything up if you've been thorough with finding ammo. Just remember to cycle in the pistol or crossbow now and again to deal with a mob of zombies or something.

(If you aren't thorough, though, ignore what I said: save the grenades for bosses or bullshit enemies as well, and use the pistol and crossbow until both run dry. Claire's got it bad enough and her B scenario is not forgiving.)

I am honestly surprised at how much grenade ammo I've been getting. I could probably be a little more liberal with the grenade rounds but I tend to just horde all of them for lickers, Ivy, and bosses. I will definitely be using a lot of it in the near future though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the sewer manager knew he was going to be overseeing a secret Umbrella lab when they hired him.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Glazius posted:

I wonder if the sewer manager knew he was going to be overseeing a secret Umbrella lab when they hired him.

Some bits of lore say that Umbrella paid people obscene amounts of money to look the other way, which is where Iron's museum style collection came from.

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.
I'd figured he was an Umbrella plant, rather than some schmoe they decided to bribe. Dunno where I got that impression, because I can't confidently say it follows from from the files.

I mentioned a bit last time about the Browning Hi-Power, but honestly there's not too much to say. Great capacity for its day, reliable and accurate, but definitely showing its age by 1998. It's not bad by any stretch, but there are better options for 9mm available. Today, let's look at Claire's second-tier weapon, the grenade launcher.

It's a Heckler & Koch M79, a break-action 40mm launcher. It was made famous in the Vietnam war, letting infantry squads add some serious firepower to the more standard rifles and hand grenades they normally packed. It picked up the nickname "blooper" due to the surprisingly quiet sound it made when firing. It was a bit heavy, though, which meant a soldier who carried it generally used it as his primary weapon. When Colt came out with the M203, which was small and light enough to mount under the barrel of an M-16, the standalone M79 was phased out of Army use.

It makes some sense for police units to have them, because it was designed to fire a pretty wide variety of rounds. Smoke, flares, tear gas, and other less-lethal loads like rubber and plastic rounds find use with police units. These come in handy when you're dealing with riots and dangerous crowd control assignments.

The ammo Claire finds, though...

As our hosts have pointed out, the explosive rounds act more like Leon's shotgun than actual grenades. That is (ironically) a good thing: at the ranges Claire shoots, the grenades either shouldn't arm, and instead act like a big, heavy bullet - or they should leave bits of her dripping from the ceiling when they explode two feet from her. It's not foolproof, but explosive launcher grenades do have a minimum range. The basic idea is that firing the grenade is a bit like pulling the pin, and as it spins in flight, an internal catch arms its impact fuse. The grenade then goes off when it hits something, spraying shrapnel and explosive concussion in all directions for several yards, and generally ruining someone's afternoon. Claire's grenades seem to be some sort of cluster munition instead, and apparently pose no risk to her. ...Assuming no one shoots them at her, anyway.

They do make a 'thermobaric' grenade round, but those are closer to fuel-air explosives than incendiaries. I haven't seen anything to suggest incendiary grenade rounds couldn't be made, on a technical level anyway, but there's no real reason to: incendiaries aren't supposed to be used against civilians, or even against military targets in areas near where civilians live. I guess you could argue that such UN rules on war only apply to military units, and so police (and evil megacorporations) are free to ignore them. That would explain why dozens of grenades filled with concentrated acid are lying around for the taking.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 11 - Sewage Quality

Hey everybody, sorry this one took so long to get out, we ran into some technical difficulties.

We encounter another Ada sequence in this episode and it's important to note that while Ada has her own health pool if you use the first aid spray that she comes with it will count against your rank score. Also one small correction, Alden mentions Mr. X's name, but mistakenly cites it being from the game code. The name Mr. X. is actually from the novelization of the series.

Also also special thanks to my buddy, Sam, for providing the art for this episode's bumps! If you liked her art you can check out more of it over at: http://inverts.tumblr.com The full resolution images are below:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
...in my group of friends, greeting someone like that wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The gas tank was totally in its mouth and you guys are blind!

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 12 -Trouble in the Kennels

A couple of episodes ago we were out near the parking lot as Claire. Alden said not to bother going out because there was nothing for her there. He was wrong and you should absolutely go through the parking lot to the kennels. As with any good adventure(ish?) game you'll want to visit just about every area on your map, unless you're going for a speed run. Just about every room will either have a puzzle related item or at the very least ammo / health recovery.

Also the only reason the dogs in the kennels gave me as much trouble as they did is how indecisive I was. Resident Evil is a game that will punish those who hesitate. You pretty much have to know before you go in or immediately after you enter a room whether or not you're going to do a grab and run or drop everything in the room. Getting hit a bunch and then deciding to drop the dogs was probably about the worst thing I could have done (aside from actually die to them).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ceraph posted:

Also one small correction, Alden mentions Mr. X's name, but mistakenly cites it being from the game code. The name Mr. X. is actually from the novelization of the series.

The only worthwhile addition to the canon

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I think the action figure was named as such before the novel came out. I seem to recall at least half of the FAQs back in the day either called him that or "The Tyrant," though I recall one where they just called him Mack and for some strange reason it just stuck with me.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 13 - Halloween Costume Ideas

It occurs to me how different of a game Resident Evil 2 becomes when it's time for a boss fight. With the limited inventory space if you get caught in a boss fight with just your handgun and you're not an experienced player you will probably die. The game gives you some hints from time to time that a boss fight is coming up, but there are definitely times they just kind of spring a fight on you. Had I been playing without Alden's guidance I would have definitely wasted an inventory spot on keeping that grenade launcher with me most of the time.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
In a lot of the games they generally make it fairly obvious you're about to go into a boss fight, if you're looking for the signs. There's usually some foreshadowing (in RE1, Richard being outside the door to the giant snake, all the files talking about the giant plant and how it's chilling in one of the rooms), plus the way in is usually a bitch and a half to get in. (In the aforementioned examples, you have to get the Shield key, which involves a chain of puzzles in both games, to fight the giant snake. The Giant Plant requires you to go through the entire Dormitory before you can get to it.)

There's some examples where they surprise you (GIANT SNAKE REMATCH, anyone?), but it's usually in the form of a "random" enemy that rolls up, like Mr. X or Nemesis. The only real one I can think of in 2 is that loving alligator, but with Leon A/Claire B you do get a hint it's coming up because of Ada.

(The gator caught me by surprise the first time I was playing, when I had no memory card to save. I only brought the handgun and I was low on ammo, didn't know about the barrel, and was bad with herbs.)

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 14 - Technical Difficulties

Sorry about the bit of overlap toward the end of the episode, ePSXe didn't seem to want to let us get past that specific cutscene. We managed to get everything worked out though.

Sherry joins us again toward the end of this episode and once again she follows us around without really doing much of anything. It's an interesting idea but the mechanic with her deciding to just curl up into a ball in the corner if you get too far away is kind of annoying. There aren't really any puzzles or mechanics tied to her following you, she's just kind of there and it kinda feels like a wasted opportunity.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

So you're saying you'd want the escort mechanic from RE4 in this game? Not sure how I feel about that.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Demicol posted:

So you're saying you'd want the escort mechanic from RE4 in this game? Not sure how I feel about that.

You could just stick Ashley in a container until you killed everything in the area usually, she was seriously the easiest character to escort in any game ever.

Failing that, just tell her to wait in a corner, and shoot everything that makes a beeline straight for her.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
About the rubble and trash, the sewers could double as storm drains, making the stuff ha ing washed down there make sense.
Also, I find myself getting into the inventory management a bit too much, going a bit crazy when you don't put the valve handle down and not giving a reason for you not to.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Demicol posted:

Hey now, let's not say things we can't take back. But seriously, I would prefer either being able to manually tell her to hide while I clear zombies, or have her just stick to Claire like glue. I'm not a huge fan of the "sometimes she'll just hide in the corner" mechanic.

Episode 14.5 - Silent Evil

Also, I've got a bonus episode! It's from when I had to redo the bits between when I saved and when the cutscene froze, but I enjoyed it and it shows a much more succinct way to getting through that part. Actual update will go up later today.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 15 - Dying A Lot

The syncing between Claire and Leon worked out pretty well in this episode as they both get to the tram today. I do think it's a little silly that they both have to fight the same boss when they get to this spot.

We also get a chance to see how much those G-Virus Lickers can ruin your day if you're not prepared.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 16 - Employees Only

I really do appreciate how both Claire and Leon get some minor costume changes in RE2. It's a really nice attention to detail that you don't often see in games from this generation. Permanence is a nice form of feedback to give the player. It helps give them a sense that what they are doing is actually affecting the world around them.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
What happens if you don't turn on the camera before trying to leave that area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rasler posted:

What happens if you don't turn on the camera before trying to leave that area?

He'll just appear under the camera when you turn the corner.

• Locked thread