Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I heard that Chris Evans plans to retire from film once his Captain America duties are done, but how many movies will that be?

Slaapaav posted:

My ranking so far :

Thor
Cap 2
Iron Man 2
Thor 2
Iron Man
Avengers
Cap
Iron Man 3
Hulk

I am amazed at how much I disagree with you. (I haven't seen Cap 2 yet, but my list would move most of your bottom half up; I thought Iron Man 2 was pretty bad, for example, and I really liked Cap 1 and have a soft spot for Hulk.)

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Well I thought it was a big bunch of bullshit. It's just politically infantile, essentially arguing that we just need the right kind of black ops authoritarian military organisation running our lives. SHIELD vs HYDRA is just two brands of fascism competing against each other. The only reason HYDRA are the villains is because they're literal Nazis as opposed to just the 'regular' fascism of SHIELD.

...Do you remember the parts where Cap chews Fury out over this, especially when Fury suggests 'salvaging' what he can of the organisation, and Steve says that, no, he won't. Part of what Black Widow does at the end is expose SHIELD's secrets (including her own), both to expose HYDRA's wrongdoings, but to neuter SHIELD's functionality as an organisation

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
SHIELD may have bottomless funds and incredible surveillance technologies, but they don't actually run the country. Also, the politics of the movie are very shallow; just some vague blah about freedom vs authoritarianism. Zola's accent did more to make Hydra look evil than its political message.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Slaapaav posted:

My ranking so far :

Thor
Cap 2
Iron Man 2
Thor 2
Iron Man
Avengers
Cap
Iron Man 3
Hulk

My personal ranking is :

Avengers
Hulk (I am a big Hulk fan, i even loved the first movie)
Captain America 2
Thor 2
Thor
Captain America
Iron Man 3
Iron Man
Iron Man 2

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
You could say that Thor, Cap 2, Iron Man 2 are my top 3 while the others are less decided.

I love the first half of the first Cap movie but the second half just seems like a complete waste to me. Thor is the undisputed champion for me though, I could rewatch this one once every year for the rest of my life and I never will expect them to come close to topping this. I used to be a huge Ironman comicbook fanboy and Ironman 2 is simply my favorite film that has Ironman in it (It is not really that good of a movie).

Cap 2 is a good watch because it has long action scenes with tons of set pieces involving guns, chop socky and various objects used to murder people in creative ways while at the same time having pacing that makes you actually want to watch all the fancy stuff that is happening without growing tired of it half way through the movie. The plot is far above average for this kind of movie though, you can predict the basic structure but it has a lot of small twists and turns that dont feel overdone because they actually fit the characters involved.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

SHIELD may have bottomless funds and incredible surveillance technologies, but they don't actually run the country. Also, the politics of the movie are very shallow; just some vague blah about freedom vs authoritarianism. Zola's accent did more to make Hydra look evil than its political message.

That's my main problem with the film. It wears the clothes of a political thriller but it's completely hollow; the most politically complex the film gets is rubbish like "The price of freedom is high... and it's a price I'm willing to pay!". I mean, obviously neither Marvel nor Disney want to actually get political in a tentpole blockbuster, but faking it just feels cowardly.

edit: Basically the film is dumb, but it's acting as if it's smart. It bugs me.

edit edit: and the Winter Soldier is an awful villain.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 27, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The politics were shallow, sure, but I thought they went a lot further than what I expected from a Marvel film. I particularly liked how they proved everyone who'd been a bit uncomfortable with the idea of SHIELD right. It's because they were being run by literal loving nazis all along. How much of a retcon that is, I dunno, but it works for me.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The plot in this movie is a mix of many different comic books published by Marvel, none of the plotlines or characters are created by the guys who wrote the script for this movie. Every single thing that happens in this movie has been done in a comic at some point in time between now and 1940.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slaapaav posted:

The plot in this movie is a mix of many different comic books published by Marvel, none of the plotlines or characters are created by the guys who wrote the script for this movie. Every single thing that happens in this movie has been done in a comic at some point in time between now and 1940.

Also, the Simpsons did it.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Just got back from this a hour ago and i got to say you guys are taking the "politics" aspect a little too seriously.
Honestly how deep do you expect what is basically a cheesy family action movie to get? The fact that a movie my kid will want to watch has a plot that involves any aspect of how easy it is for a government to creep into fascism makes me pretty happy.

But really I was watching it for the action and it delivers that in spades. My only problem with the Avengers was that the action scenes really weren't that great but this had some great action scenes, I would go as far to say the best I've seen in a big budget movie in a good while.

Really surprised how much I liked it since I think Captain America(1) is probably the weakest of the Marvel movies.

I hope the next three Marvel movies are as good as the last three because since Avengers they've really found their beat.

Also loved that dickhead senator from Iron Man 2 popping up

Also I'm going to presume Quicksliver & Scarlet Witch are no longer mutants

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 28, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I loved how the first Captain America felt like watching a serial pulp film (or at least a homage to them like Indy movies are) mashed with Wolfenstein. Crazy techno super nazis and everything. That it also had some fun with the propaganda era that spawned the character was also funny. The fact that Cap had to be brought forward at the end of the film was actually kind of disappointing to me because I wanted to see more movies set in that fantastic version of the 1940s.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Uncle Wemus posted:

So Sam Jackson dies?

For real dead or just some switcheroo thing to set up for the next movie?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Not called Mutants, at the very least. you can also expect their father's identity won't be discussed

Starfury
Feb 28, 2014

RUSSIAN WHORE AND SHAMELESS SUCKER OF PUTIN'S COCK. PLEASE VOVA, FILL MY THROAT WITH YOUR DELICIOUS HOT PROPAGANDA (AND CUM), I CAN'T EVER GET ENOUGH!!

Lotish posted:

I heard that Chris Evans plans to retire from film once his Captain America duties are done, but how many movies will that be?

Good riddance if true. I hope Marvel will hire somebody who can actually act, instead of a guy with two facial expressions(and that I'm being generous).

Amount of hype for this film is pretty high. I'm looking forward, but it gets a bit tiring. Some sites even compare Winter Soldier to Loki and say that he's the most terryfying villain in MCU.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Starfury posted:

Good riddance if true. I hope Marvel will hire somebody who can actually act, instead of a guy with two facial expressions(and that I'm being generous)

What a silly opinion. Evans is a perfect Cap.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

edit: Basically the film is dumb, but it's acting as if it's smart. It bugs me.
Look at The Dark Knight Rises for a film which is pretentious and muddled. CM:TWS gives us a simple mustache-twirling villain that is perfect for a superhero movie. The worthiness and wit of a script does not begin and end with its philosophical message. This movie doesn't want you to think, it wants you to enjoy the action and bond with its heroes, which it accomplishes commendably.

Starfury posted:

Amount of hype for this film is pretty high. I'm looking forward, but it gets a bit tiring. Some sites even compare Winter Soldier to Loki and say that he's the most terryfying villain in MCU.
He is pretty spooky, though he's ultimately dull and doesn't quite cut the same presence as the real main villain. Also, Loki is goofy, not terrifying.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 28, 2014

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

This movie doesn't want you to think

Gotcha.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Starfury posted:

Winter Soldier works because of who he is, and because he is able to go toe to toe with Cap.
I think the Thor movies wasted a good opportunity with Loki, they should have shown Thor be a bit of an rear end in a top hat in his younger days, but Loki is still great, and a better villain. I don't think you can really compare the two.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Loki's power is usually outclassed by the foes he gets pitted against. He probably could whup Cap in a fistfight, but that would go against his dramatic role as a trickster, so it will not happen.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
One thing I liked is that the trailers for the movie didn't reveal the big thing. It annoys me these days, that trailers so often tell us everything that happens in a movie.

Starfury
Feb 28, 2014

RUSSIAN WHORE AND SHAMELESS SUCKER OF PUTIN'S COCK. PLEASE VOVA, FILL MY THROAT WITH YOUR DELICIOUS HOT PROPAGANDA (AND CUM), I CAN'T EVER GET ENOUGH!!

Baron Bifford posted:

He is pretty spooky, though he's ultimately dull and doesn't quite cut the same presence as the real main villain. Also, Loki is goofy, not terrifying.
So, is he as dull as his main antagonist Captain Patriotism? :smuggo: Although Winter looks pretty badass in trailers.

Oasx posted:

I think the Thor movies wasted a good opportunity with Loki, they should have shown Thor be a bit of an rear end in a top hat in his younger days, but Loki is still great, and a better villain. I don't think you can really compare the two.
Loki is the best villain of MCU and all comicbook adaptaions imo.

Baron Bifford posted:

Loki's power is usually outclassed by the foes he gets pitted against. He probably could whup Cap in a fistfight, but that would go against his dramatic role as a trickster, so it will not happen.

I think Loki already did it in the Avengers but IM saved Captain's rear end. At least he has his shield, Black Widow and Hawkeeye don't stand a chance in a direct fight against most of supervillains.

Starfury fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 28, 2014

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just came back from seeing the movie.

The list: in Mexico they put Shakira and Rodolfo Neri Vela

The movie is very fast paced, but didn't feel like they were rushing any scene. I liked the parts where Cap visits Peggy and bonds with Falcon. The parts with him and Black Widow were great, for a while I thought they would end up linked romantically, but I like more them being best friends after all the stuff that happened.

And looking at the credits for unexpected stuff: The guide voice at the Smithsonian was Gary Sinise

Edit:

Oasx posted:

Winter Soldier works because of who he is, and because he is able to go toe to toe with Cap.

I think the best description for Winter Soldier is that he's like a killer from a slasher movie: no matter what you do to him, he keeps coming after you. And that's loving terrifying.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 28, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kal-L posted:

The parts with him and Black Widow were great, for a while I thought they would end up linked romantically, but I like more them being best friends after all the stuff that happened.
She probes him but then decides he's not really her type of lover (too whitebread, maybe). Cap friendzones her.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Starfury posted:

So, is he as dull as his main antagonist Captain Patriotism? :smuggo: Although Winter looks pretty badass in trailers.

He's a cool ninja Terminator-like figure that stalks the heroes throughout the film. He isn't really a character.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Not called Mutants, at the very least. you can also expect their father's identity won't be discussed

Wolfgang Strucker was commanding the lat Hydra base, in the comics he induced powers in his unborn twin children. I think they're using a play on that for the Maximoff twins origin, probably not his biological children but still his creation. Which is not necessarily a bad idea, they can still have a redemption arc with a metaphorical father.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

EdBlackadder posted:

Wolfgang Strucker was commanding the lat Hydra base, in the comics he induced powers in his unborn twin children. I think they're using a play on that for the Maximoff twins origin, probably not his biological children but still his creation. Which is not necessarily a bad idea, they can still have a redemption arc with a metaphorical father.

It is explicitly stated at the end of Cap that Strucker has been abducting people and doing experiments on them using the magic staff Loki had in Avengers to see what happens. Wanda and Pietro are the only ones to survive his experiments and have the bonus of getting completely different super powers.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

For real dead or just some switcheroo thing to set up for the next movie?

He just fakes his death so he can find out who the ~real bad guys~. By the end of the film SHIELD is disbanded and everybody involved is on trial and he just goes "eh I don't want to deal with that i'll just keep pretending I'm dead so I can do my spy stuff. I'll just wear sunglasses instead of an eye patch from now on so people don't know who I am.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 28, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

radlum posted:

Can someone spoil me if there's a chance we'll see the Winter Soldier again? I'd like to see if there's a chance they are taking the comics route or doing something different.

The actor signed a 9 picture deal.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Starfury posted:

Good riddance if true. I hope Marvel will hire somebody who can actually act, instead of a guy with two facial expressions(and that I'm being generous).

If you say so. I guess he used one expression for Cap America and the rest for his other movies.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

PaganGoatPants posted:

If you say so. I guess he used one expression for Cap America and the rest for his other movies.

I'm not even exaggerating when I say Evans' best acting is in 'Not another teen movie'. Granted, I haven't seen much of his smaller movies, so maybe he is better in them. In Snowpiercer, his "crying" in what was supposed to be the big emotional and dramatic moment of the film/character's life, was kind of cringeworthy to watch. But I'll always forgive him for Not another Teen movie, dude's funny.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson steal every scene they're in.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 28, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

The actor signed a 9 picture deal.
Couldn't that be like how the cast of Jurassic Park 3 were told they would have to star in a bunch of JP sequels that never happened?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

achillesforever6 posted:

Couldn't that be like how the cast of Jurassic Park 3 were told they would have to star in a bunch of JP sequels that never happened?

It could be since it seems like it is just something Marvel asks of actors, But considering the end of the movie, and the fact that Chris Evans is not likely to continue acting once his contract is up, i think is almost a given we will see the character again, and there is a chance he could take over the role of Cap, like in the comics.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Evans' Captain America is the weakest Avenger, whereas Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man is the most well-developed superhero to ever appear on film. I rank Iron Man 3 as Marvel's best film.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Slaapaav posted:

My ranking so far :

Thor
Cap 2
Iron Man 2
Thor 2
Iron Man
Avengers
Cap
Iron Man 3
Hulk

I liked it so much that I want to go see it again in 2D

I haven't watched all of the Marvel movies, but my personal list so far is:

The Punisher (2004 one)
Spider-Man 2
Captain America
Iron Man
Avengers
Spider-Man 1
Everything Else

Haven't watched Thor 2, Iron Man 3, The Avengers, or this movie, but I loved the first one so much that I'l probably end up seeing it eventually, glad to see all the posts so far have been positive towards it.

quote:

Great, I can smell another "the enemy was the rich militarist/businessman/white guy all along" film. Will America ever stop flagellating itself?

A Captain America movie where America gets poo poo on/criticized a lot is completely true to the character (at least, the character in his good stories), normal universe captain is all about freedom and an idealistic america, rather than just going "america, gently caress yeah!".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 29, 2014

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Saw this the other day, two things I hadn't seen talked about much:

Arnim Zola showing up in about the closest you could get to his comic book form was loving awesome. It was ridiculous but it totally worked.

Also, the name dropping of Dr Strange was a nice touch.

I thought this was the best Marvel movie to date.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

A Captain America movie where America gets poo poo on/criticized a lot is completely true to the character (at least, the character in his good stories), normal universe captain is all about freedom and an idealistic america, rather than just going "america, gently caress yeah!".

No, I think we need another vaguely Middle Eastern terrorist antagonist, we haven't had one of those in a while.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

After Guardians of the galaxy, is that it until Avengers 2? I've quite enjoyed this sort-of quarterly release schedule since Iron Man 3.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I liked how Maria Hill knocked out a guy by smacking his helmet. SHIELD issues papier-maché helmets, apparently.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Junkenstein posted:

After Guardians of the galaxy, is that it until Avengers 2? I've quite enjoyed this sort-of quarterly release schedule since Iron Man 3.

Pretty sure Ant Man isn't out until after Avengers 2, so I think it is. It's a little dissapointing.

I can't wait to see this, though. The Falcon is a great character and I want to see what they do with him on the big screen.

How much does the movie pull from the 2000's-era Avengers storyline where the Red Skull in disguise was trying to run the Avengers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

They can't call them mutants mainly due to copyright issues with Fox or something like that, IIRC.

• Locked thread