Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Not a Children posted:

Sounds too much like "my Swedish friend"

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

"BORK BORK BORK!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
its good op its good

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Fishy Joe posted:

its good op its good

Johnny rear end

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MY BF LESLIE SAID posted:

Would be interesting to get the estate of Johnny Cash to weigh in on this. Someone wanna get them on the line?

"You have a quotidian, pseudo-edgy opinion regarding a pseudo-edgy song that represents well less than 1/1500th of Mr. Cash's oeuvre, and not even one of his own songs? Perhaps your ego would be better served posting this on a comedy website somewhere else."

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
get hosed mate all your threads are terrible tonight johnny cash is grea and life is worth living

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Woden posted:

Some dead dude that thought talking into a mic = singing.

William Shatner is dead? :ohdear:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
you should start writing cracked articles

Bitcoin420
Oct 30, 2013
the worst new years I ever had involved a girl who took a poo poo load of mephedrone and put that song on repeat for at least 2 hours

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Bitcoin420 posted:

the worst new years I ever had involved a girl who took a poo poo load of mephedrone and put that song on repeat for at least 2 hours

Booyah! You just got Cash'd.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I think it got a little overblown because it was Johnny Cash being all real old and heartbroken and poo poo

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Booyah! You just got Cash'd.

A++ would go out with that girl

Baby the Birdman
Jul 14, 2005

Every real nigga fuck they main girl in the ass.
I agree with this particular cover, Johhny Cash has such much better covers and songs IMHO. But for hurt I actually prefer the NIN version

Bitcoin420
Oct 30, 2013

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

A++ would go out with that girl

she kept sobbing and saying it was the most beautiful song she'd ever heard and seemed super surprised that no one shared her enthusiasm 15 plays later

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Baby the Birdman posted:

I agree with this particular cover, Johhny Cash has such much better covers and songs IMHO. But for hurt I actually prefer the NIN version

Hmm well all that's all well and good except for the fact that no one asked for your honest opinion. Please lie to us instead.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Bitcoin420 posted:

she kept sobbing and saying it was the most beautiful song she'd ever heard and seemed super surprised that no one shared her enthusiasm 15 plays later

Anyone who plays a song more than 3 times in a row who is not in a band practicing that song has bad opinions.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
i ndunno sounds p good from where I'm sittin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uXYlfLUrCc

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

The Feldman Felcher posted:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

joat mon posted:

"You have a quotidian, pseudo-edgy opinion regarding a pseudo-edgy song that represents well less than 1/1500th of Mr. Cash's oeuvre, and not even one of his own songs? Perhaps your ego would be better served posting this on a comedy website somewhere else."

estate phone call, did Johnny Cash ever actually write a good song?

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Saint-X posted:

His death rattle was probably fairly legit

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

His death rattle was probably fairly legit

^^^real talk^^^

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
Reznor wrote Hurt with his incredibly successful band doing coke and banging hot groupies every night and Cash's cover came from looking back on a life that had been filled with genuine heartache and loss.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Redjakk posted:

Reznor wrote Hurt with his incredibly successful band doing coke and banging hot groupies every night and Cash's cover came from looking back on a life that had been filled with genuine heartache and loss.

and also meth and banging hot groupies

Time is strange

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Saint-X posted:

Thank you for your interest in Johnny Cash's illustrious legacy! As his millions of fans across the globe would tell you, Mr. Cash has no single 'best' song - each person finds their own favorite Johnny Cash song to hold near and dear to his or her heart. In a very real sense then, all of the songs Mr. Cash wrote are the best.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Medium Cool posted:

hurt is ok but it isn't even the best song on the downward spiral, tbh
Would have been funnier if he covered closer but maybe he felt he was already too close to god.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its better than the original

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

sorry you really like smashmouth or whoever originally recorded it

5er
Jun 1, 2000

this poo poo's sure some wishkin trollin

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Law enforcement has been informed. Just ignore him until they arrive.

Black guy calls police ITT

:munch:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

I agree. It's okay. The problem is lovely source material. You can polish a turd but its still a turd.

yeah basically. the only reason it got played on the radio was because it was a novelty...sure it was maybe reverent to cash's life but nobody pays attention to lyrics

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
youre a loving fag op, hth

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Johnny Cash can relate to the song b/c he hurts his hips when he gets out of bed

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

What if an old white man sung a song written by a younger white guy. Maybe then some other white guys could really get in touch with how hard life is for them.

Buffer Overflow
Sep 3, 2006
Interweb Addict
Both of them suck compared to this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

his cover of closer was a lot better i thought

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

The Feldman Felcher posted:

Shouldn't there be way more of that bad cartoon Zelda thing in this?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
'wish' would have been a much better choice of a song to cover...probably not a good way to make ur peace with god though when you are close to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuoFiIFkdAA

I remember his cover of depeche mode's 'personal jesus' being alright.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Feel free to disagree but you'll just look like an idiot

Sorry, Johnny Cash's cover is better than Trent's.

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice
Did Reel Big Fish cover Hurt? I have a feeling that if Reel Big Fish covered it, this thread would be heading in a way better direction; everyone loves ska covers!

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phil Niekro posted:

i remember hearing that cash referred to reznor as "whoever wrote that song" whenever he was asked about the cover

lol johnny cash owned

Redjakk posted:

pretty much this, johnny cash was lookin like a sad broken down version of the cryptkeeper when he sang it so his version carried infinitely more weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
fukt up if true

• Locked thread