Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
You get both, basically. What you do, is you get the riot gun for zombies, and then the samurai edge for everything else. That pistol is all you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Isn't that pistol like 25000 XP or something? I mean it makes sense now but when I was playing I saw the minimal damage increase and was "Welp, let's stick with the shotgun and use the pistol for zombie-swarm." I literally didn't learn about the special melee moves (including Bertha's Surprise Herb Party move) until the last time I played, and I had no idea you could hold soldiers hostage. Then again if it's mentioned in the manual I didn't have it because I was renting the game.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

I think so, but it is pretty much the first weapon you want to unlock because it's kind of the beat weapon. Hunters or lickers? Quick-draw and unload into them and watch them fall over and die. And against soldiers it's gonna do the best damage at mid range, so you don't have to run at them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It seems pretty expensive, but you can actually get that much XP after like 3 missions even if you ignore the hidden stuff. If you bother to get the cameras and intel items you can get the Samurai Edge pretty quickly, and the primary guns are considerably cheaper.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or does Lunethex sound really staticky in the beginning of video 1? I know it looks like nitpicking, but I just bought a new headset and kinda need to confirm this.
edit: Phew.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 12, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Yes. My recording device captured my microphone too, and it was set to be really loud by default. I didn't notice this at the time.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Drakenel posted:

.gif request on Boomerang Dog.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 13, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
From what I've heard, supposedly the reason there aren't more lickers in resident evil 2 is that the USS killed them all here.

Or something. Then again there were quite a few in Outbreak. More still in resident evil 5 despite uh... the T virus having nothing to do with everything there.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I never played through all of 3, were there many Lickers there?

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No lickers at all. They were replaced by their slightly more retarded cousins de Drain Deimos.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Drakenel posted:

From what I've heard, supposedly the reason there aren't more lickers in resident evil 2 is that the USS killed them all here.

Or something. Then again there were quite a few in Outbreak. More still in resident evil 5 despite uh... the T virus having nothing to do with everything there.
It is sorta, since the Uroboros virus in 5 was created from the original progenitor virus that the T-virus was based off of. So it is most likely similar enough to be able to recreate a licker using it.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Drakenel posted:

Operation Raccoon City is non-canon to the main RE story.

Lickers, at least initially, are people who have been exposed to the T-Virus and either live with it a while and eventually mutate (the Crimson Heads from the REMake) or get a second dose of the T-Virus after being infected. The Lickers in Raccoon City are almost certainly the latter: several files in RE2, RE3, and the Outbreak series allude to the fact that quite a few citizens of Raccoon City were already dealing with a mild case of it when the main outbreak happened, courtesy of the fact that the RE1 outbreak happened in a forest and the T-Virus can apparently infect or be a carrier on anything, and the fact that quite a few BOWs were still loose in that area.

As for the ones in RE5, weren't there files about them?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Mountain Lightning posted:

Operation Raccoon City is non-canon to the main RE story.

Lickers, at least initially, are people who have been exposed to the T-Virus and either live with it a while and eventually mutate (the Crimson Heads from the REMake) or get a second dose of the T-Virus after being infected. The Lickers in Raccoon City are almost certainly the latter: several files in RE2, RE3, and the Outbreak series allude to the fact that quite a few citizens of Raccoon City were already dealing with a mild case of it when the main outbreak happened, courtesy of the fact that the RE1 outbreak happened in a forest and the T-Virus can apparently infect or be a carrier on anything, and the fact that quite a few BOWs were still loose in that area.

As for the ones in RE5, weren't there files about them?

Yeah, there's at least one computer in the segment just before they're introduced where a Tricell guy is going "Hahaha, Lickers loving rock. Management is the best for letting us make a bunch of them."

I think the original file was in Gun Survivor. It basically outright states that Zombie + More T-Virus = Licker mutation. This was before the REMake gave us Crimson Heads, though, so it might've been adjusted to accomodate for that.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, there's at least one computer in the segment just before they're introduced where a Tricell guy is going "Hahaha, Lickers loving rock. Management is the best for letting us make a bunch of them."

Neat. I don't think I ever found that file.

Derek Barona posted:

I think the original file was in Gun Survivor. It basically outright states that Zombie + More T-Virus = Licker mutation. This was before the REMake gave us Crimson Heads, though, so it might've been adjusted to accomodate for that.

This is true but it seems like it's just an alternate method. The two biggest pieces of info that kind of mess with the theories a bit are the Regis Licker (the boss of the "Hellfire" scenario in Outbreak) and the presence of lickers in the Umbrella Labs.

The Regis Licker is essentially a Crimson Head that is in the process of turning into a full-blown Licker. She still looks human-ish and has hair, but she's also trying to impale you or strangle you with her tongue. The big issue there is the fact that she's a Crimson Head at all: if the regular Licker process results in Crimson Heads, shouldn't you theoretically encounter a few? This could just be chalked up to Capcom not wanting to include them for whatever reasons, or possibly someone wanting to reference previous material and messing it up a bit (see also Kevin's ending to "Desperate Times" in Outbreak File 2, where Leon and Claire make a cameo in their cop car despite the fact that it's a bit too early for that poo poo).

As for the Lickers in the Umbrella Labs, I'm seriously doubting they'd have people who were already infected there. Umbrella is incompetent but I highly doubt even they would tolerate that poo poo. That leaves a few options, far as I can tell, for the presence of Lickers there. Here's my thoughts on why they're there, in what I feel is the most likely reason why to the least likely reason why. Grain of salt, etc., especially since I haven't played the original games in a while.

Option A) Umbrella was doing research on the Licker mutation. This is supported, in a sense, by Outbreak and quite a few files from this and other games. Birkin has pretty much done so much with the T-Virus that he's often credited with creating it, and the Outbreak scenario "Below Freezing Point" shows off quite a bit of the rest of the lab, where there's a fair amount of creature tanks in some of the rooms as well as Lickers being present relatively early in the outbreak. Combine that with the fact that the Lickers at the labs are the Enhanced variety (and thus more dangerous) and you can assume they're either older/more mutated than the ones you encounter in the city, or they've been experimented on.

Option B) Capcom wasn't thinking about this poo poo initially and they just threw 'em around because "We need some fuckin' end-game enemies in the final area and those giant plants are a bit too dopey looking! Throw some more of those clawed tongue monsters there! What? They're a bit too weak? Palette swap them and up the damage and health!" This is supported by laziness and the usual retconning they do between games to try and fix poo poo.

Option C) Some of the zombies that resulted from the outbreak in the labs that happened at some point after Birkin decides to sample his product managed to find some more T-Virus and break that poo poo out. This is somewhat ludicrous but slightly supported by the fact that Umbrella isn't very big on proper safety measures. I mean, they store BOWs in tanks that they can apparently break out of very easily if they wake up and there's a large lack of internal security in the labs. Sure, there might actually be guards when they aren't overrun by disease, but more often than not the actual labs are unlocked.

Option D) Somehow Lickers from Raccoon City made the trek outside the city a few miles, manage to get to the tram station that is the main entrance to the Umbrella Labs, and work their way down there, somehow mutate, and get stronger.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 13, 2014

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's on one of the computers you can power up a few rooms before the section where they're introduced. It's basically there to serve as a warning/spoiler that hey, there are gonna be Lickers pretty soon, you should watch the gently caress out.

I admit I've never checked out the Outbreak games or seen anything about them, which is kind of a shame because that actually sounds like it was an interesting idea for a boss. As for the Super Lickers down in Willie B's lab, I'm just gonna chalk that one up to Option B, because Capcom had no loving clue then and still has no loving clue now.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
If you can find a copy of them cheap or you are a major fan of the play-style of the older games, the Outbreak Series is definitely worth it. However, there are a notable number of differences between what you're used to, regardless of which part of the series you come into, and a lot of weird design decisions. In addition, the main draw of the games is Online Play, and the short answer is you can't really do that anymore.

(The long answer is unless you live in Japan and have a Japanese PS2 and copy of Outbreak File 2, and pay a monthly subscription, you can't play online. There's some stuff about an online server but from what little I read about it it's still largely in development and buggy to boot.)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Complete a S+ Professional Solo run yesterday in anticipation of my time to shine in the LP. Nine deaths and four mission retries over the whole run; go ahead and guess how those were distributed over the seven missions.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
Not only did I pay full price for this horrible poo poo, I actually had it on pre-order for almost a month and got it release day. I remember the last level I played being this awful mess of wrecked cars on fire while Leon was shooting at me from a mile away. Meanwhile, every Crimson Head in the entire universe converged on my team and chewed up my rear end in a top hat until I turned the drat game off and went to trade it in for something else.

Between this and RE6 I don't know what my life even means anymore.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what the gently caress IS an S+ rank? Do you have to get all S for the whole chapter?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Aces High posted:

what the gently caress IS an S+ rank? Do you have to get all S for the whole chapter?

Pretty much. It can only be achieved on Veteran or Professional. Trying it on Veteran means going well beyond the usual S-Rank Requirements. The requirements on Professional are actually slightly less stringent, as I got an S+ with a B-rank in Time and S-ranks in the rest for Mission Five.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mountain Lightning posted:

If you can find a copy of them cheap or you are a major fan of the play-style of the older games, the Outbreak Series is definitely worth it. However, there are a notable number of differences between what you're used to, regardless of which part of the series you come into, and a lot of weird design decisions. In addition, the main draw of the games is Online Play, and the short answer is you can't really do that anymore.

(The long answer is unless you live in Japan and have a Japanese PS2 and copy of Outbreak File 2, and pay a monthly subscription, you can't play online. There's some stuff about an online server but from what little I read about it it's still largely in development and buggy to boot.)

Outbreak online was pretty much the Beta version of Left 4 Dead and you could and would end up with at least 1 useless person in your group, in addition to people spamming the voice commands constantly, so all you'd hear would be a chorus of "Oh my God", "What?" "Help me!" "Oh poo poo".

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It didn't help that it has no support for real voice chat, so you just had to sorta guess what they meant by the voice commands. It's a pretty cool retro style RE game though, and if you have a couple of friends with PS2's, the game and a gameshark you can have fun on the private server.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Judge Tesla posted:

Outbreak online was pretty much the Beta version of Left 4 Dead and you could and would end up with at least 1 useless person in your group, in addition to people spamming the voice commands constantly, so all you'd hear would be a chorus of "Oh my God", "What?" "Help me!" "Oh poo poo".

I got to play Online near the tail end of it and have fond memories of loading up a scenario, ending up with a guy who fucks off immediately because he knows the scenario like the back of his hand, a second who is a griefing shithead who holds doors shut, and a third playing Kevin (and it's almost always Kevin; if not him then Mark) who either idles for a fair while until something kills him or shows that he is clearly either learning the game, bad at it, or possibly under the influence of a phenomenal amount of drugs. I would steadily grow frustrated until that magical group lined up where everyone knows what they're doing and then you go and do Wild Things on Very Hard while literally boot-loving everything because we're saving ammo for the zombie elephant boss fight (because gently caress the lion entirely).

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Holy poo poo. I totally forgot that you could loving kick goddamn doors down in Outbreak. Can't find the key? Turn the door to splinters.* Team put up a blockade in front up you? Tear it apart and let all the zombies in.

* I know that's not how it worked. But still...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I get great satisfaction from imagining the Wolfpack as SA goons.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mogomra posted:

Holy poo poo. I totally forgot that you could loving kick goddamn doors down in Outbreak. Can't find the key? Turn the door to splinters.* Team put up a blockade in front up you? Tear it apart and let all the zombies in.

Do that, then get zombified and extend your revenge.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

One of the speedrun methods in the first chapter Outbreak 1 involved all 4 players beating on that garage shutter in the bar's attic. It was pretty amazing when the door finally gave up and raised after a while.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I think it might actually take less time to get the key and do the forklift thing than to kick it down. However, the problem is zombies on Very Hard will gently caress you up if you let them, and chances are good they'll be in your way on both legs of the trip.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Update 03 - Lights Out

(37:31) USS 3: Pain|YouTube|Polsy

~With Umbrella's paper trail at city hall destroyed, Wolfpack is ordered to suppress another threat to Umbrella's reputation - survivors. But with an old enemy and his new friends in the way, killing innocent people isn't as easy Wolfpack though.

I over-reacted in this level a bit :shobon:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 4, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In RE3, Nicholai was pretty explicitly working for Umbrella, so there's really no reason for any of the things in that level to have happened.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Lunethex posted:

Update 03 - Lights Out

That's some fine screenshoting right there. High art. :allears:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Crowetron posted:

In RE3, Nicholai was pretty explicitly working for Umbrella, so there's really no reason for any of the things in that level to have happened.

Then he got blown out of a window, afterwards finding time to lay bombs that would go off as soon as Carlos entered the lobby of the hospital again.

Mogomra posted:

That's some fine screenshoting right there. High art. :allears:

All he does is pose for the camera. He's having so much fun!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Crowetron posted:

Welcome to ORC, basically. This game's "story" is less of another look into the events of the canon timeline during RE2/3 as it is just an attempt at bringing the action shooter gameplay of the newer games back into the early settings of the series and giving gently caress all about whether or not they're tearing their own established canon to shreds in the process just so they can say "Hey, you get to play through here with THIRD PERSON SHOOTING!!!"

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Nicholai was bumping off other supervisor/monitor guys in RE3 so he could get top dollar from Umbrella for the B.O.W. combat data nonsense, so this could be taken as another bonus paycheck.

:ussr: "Umbrella, how much would you be willing to pay me to use these EMP devices I found on that power generator I just so happen to know you need destroyed?"

Stupid? Undoubtedly. Just means it's still Resident Evil.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

Welcome to ORC, basically. This game's "story" is less of another look into the events of the canon timeline during RE2/3 as it is just an attempt at bringing the action shooter gameplay of the newer games back into the early settings of the series and giving gently caress all about whether or not they're tearing their own established canon to shreds in the process just so they can say "Hey, you get to play through here with THIRD PERSON SHOOTING!!!"
To me, ORC comes off as Slant Six making one of their SOCOM games and setting it during the events of Resident Evil 2 (and like you said, giving no fucks about the established canon), not the action shooter style of RE4 onward. I specify RE2 because outside of Nicholai, nothing else from RE3 gets mentioned in the main game outside of multiplayer options. I think the only reason some of the stuff in the game (barely) gets a passing grade is because it's ridiculous enough to qualify for a typical Resident Evil game.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
And here we can see the general incompetence and dedication to cartoonish villainy that lead the Umbrella's inevitable downfall. Instead of using the Wolfpack to rescue civilian's while bumping off anyone who would be able to prove that Umbrella had a role with the outbreak would be smart instead they decided to do the most pointlessly evil thing to do and just kill everyone because they have an evil deeds quota to fulfill.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

To me, ORC comes off as Slant Six making one of their SOCOM games and setting it during the events of Resident Evil 2 (and like you said, giving no fucks about the established canon), not the action shooter style of RE4 onward. I specify RE2 because outside of Nicholai, nothing else from RE3 gets mentioned in the main game outside of multiplayer options. I think the only reason some of the stuff in the game (barely) gets a passing grade is because it's ridiculous enough to qualify for a typical Resident Evil game.

There's actually one major RE3 reference in a few levels that also doubles as the worst boss fight in a game full of unbelievably lovely boss fights.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Crowetron posted:

There's actually one major RE3 reference in a few levels that also doubles as the worst boss fight in a game full of unbelievably lovely boss fights.

Quick question, are they all scripted?

One thing that continuously bothers me while watching these videos is the character design. It's 1998 in-game, and while everyone else has their game-specific original look to them (so far at least), the player characters all look like Metal Gear/Mass Effect rejects.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Mr. Soop posted:

Quick question, are they all scripted?

One thing that continuously bothers me while watching these videos is the character design. It's 1998 in-game, and while everyone else has their game-specific original look to them (so far at least), the player characters all look like Metal Gear/Mass Effect rejects.

Some of it's probably just to distinguish the characters a bit so you aren't all playing as "Guy or Girl in black body armor and a gas mask" like HUNK and his buddies. Visual distinction is kind of important in these games. Besides that? Probably a combination of "Look how cool these characters are" and the usual sort of ridiculousness that sometimes hits these games costumes (see also: just about every one of Jill's outfits outside of Revelations.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Also, rewatching this, I realize I'm incredibly stupid, and instead of bitching about my pistol, I could've grabbed Lunethex's weapon when he died.

• Locked thread