Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Oh man, I should play again, that new patch seems to have fixed a ton of the issues I was running into. Namely fish that swim at eye level (over land) and randomly falling into the world.

I'm liking the game and if he keeps updating the $15 price point is a great deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Bought it after reading the thread and honestly it's pretty much unplayable, don't bother with it at the moment it's just a tech demo. Enemies will slap you so hard you will go flying kilometers away and die, sometimes when you hit something on the ground, it will bounce and hit you with such force that you will fly and die. The 3 vaginas thing is invincible and do nothing, materials for building are all over the place, for example the shelter is listed at 4 logs when you need 8, need 40+ logs for the cabin.

Also savegame not working, you'll be able to save only once and then when you load the game your inventory is gone.

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 17, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Play stealthy and you'll be in a much better position. It'll be even better when there's long-ranged weapons other than the molotov and flare gun.

Also, some of the charges are fakeouts; if you run, it'll be a real charge, if you stand your ground the mutant will basically go "oh poo poo this dude's badass" and run off.

e: Also beating a mutant to death with its friend's leg is absolutely hilarious.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
This game looks pretty awesome but I feel like I should wait a few more updates before I start playing it. I'll definitely pick it up if its on the Steam Summer Sale, even if it's only 10% off.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I love the balance of serenity and horror in the presentation of this game. The title screen is a great example, genuinely beautiful piano music and a little bit of green foliage moving in the breeze and then two decapitated heads on a pike.

minor spoiler I suppose, are the mutant dudes you run across after you die and wake up in the cave supposed to be invincible? I beat on one for a while with the stick and then switched to the axe and beat on him with that, hit him at least 30 times and he didn't die. Then again all I've done so far is run from guys so I'm not sure if they even are killable with these weapons.

e: wound up there again and this didn't happen so I assume it was a bug

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 18, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also, some of the charges are fakeouts; if you run, it'll be a real charge, if you stand your ground the mutant will basically go "oh poo poo this dude's badass" and run off.

I like to Molotov dudes when they feint charge. It makes their friends think twice.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Is this a game one can play single player and still have a good time or is it really meant to be played multi?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

teacup posted:

Is this a game one can play single player and still have a good time or is it really meant to be played multi?

Well, there's no multiplayer soooooo.

It's fun single, but early alpha and very broken.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

This game is nuts I always start out trying to be sneaky and peaceful and by like two days in I'm sprinting around the island covered in lizard skins killing natives with the axe and stealing their limbs

Also now I do this to eighties music

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Really loving this game but I keep having super annoying stutter every other minute or so after a while which tanks my fps from steady 30 to 1-2 and makes any progress impossible. :smith:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I like how the scouting AI is done once a group does find you, they will try to have you surrounded before they try to attack if you did not flee to begin with, but if they fail that, will charge.

My first death had me wake up in the cave after I tried to fend four of them off, but the cave was crawling with the naked man. I had to try and fight my way out from the get go, which failed. in a dark cave

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
The cave I woke up in after my first beatdown had a flare gun in it that somehow had infinite ammo. It also acts like a homing missile that locks on to natives in the general vicinity of the invisible crosshairs.

Felt like godmode until I loaded up a save and my inventory was pretty much empty. I found my way back to that cave but the gun isn't there anymore, also I can't really look for other locations because they slap me to death every time they see me now.

Anyways, if they manage to keep up the rate of patches and do a little balancing this will be pretty drat good in a while.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

teacup posted:

Multiplayer isn't out yet, although the devs have plans for it. It's clear that this is going to be a really atmospheric and creepy game, so it will be best played alone.

Personally I'm just trying to ignore everything about it until it gets released for oculus rift, so most things will be new to me the next time I play.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

circ dick soleil posted:

Multiplayer isn't out yet, although the devs have plans for it. It's clear that this is going to be a really atmospheric and creepy game, so it will be best played alone.

Personally I'm just trying to ignore everything about it until it gets released for oculus rift, so most things will be new to me the next time I play.

It's the other way around for me. I'm excited to finally have a multiplayer Minecraft/DayZ clone with scary good AI and atmosphere that isn't designed to be a PvP murderfest for internet sociopaths. Except there's no multiplayer yet, and there won't be for ages. :saddowns:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Good to hear, I snapped this up. While I appreciate I'm in the minority on this, so many awesome concepts just seem to be online only, and for someone who often can only play in shorter bursts or needing to pause and get up and do things around the house it's difficult.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Peaceful mode, player head, house boat, inventory saving fixed, better sound effects, new surprise item and more. - v0.03

Community Announcements - Dishmink
Hey Everyone,

Here’s our second major patch adding some new features, and fixing a bunch more bugs. We’ve also finally added a player head!!

As always, please continue to post your bug reports and feedback in the Discussions area of the Community Hub or send them in to support@endnightgame.com.

Version 0.03 Changelog:

Features/improvements:

No enemies mode! Type “veganmode” on title screen to activate (without the “”)

Player head added! And held items now correctly cast shadows
New suprise item added to plane
Yacht location is now random
Bats now correctly fly out of cave entrances
Partially built structures are now saved
Fixed water not accumulating on terrain when raining
Cassette player can now be turned off by clicking it a second time if it’s already playing
Log Cabin now has a floor, a door with hinge and a sleeping/saving spot
Birds will now land on window ledge of your built log cabin
Molotov will extinguish if in contact with water
Improved sunset/sunrise lighting
Two new effigies buildable, simple head on stick and arms pointing to sky
House boat buildable (Warning : buggy!! - especially with sharks. Also, may sink)
Stick marker added to custom building, quickly build yourself waypoints
Coral and seaweed added under water (rough)
New buildable item : Stick holder
Inventory can now carry 1 additional stick (to make shelter construction easier)
Small texture tweaks/improvements
Shadow distance increased for High and mid settings
Improved motion blur on held items
Hanging rope pick ups added to deep in caves
New cave lighting prop: Laptop
11 new filmic inspired grade options added to graphic options menu
Bench now buildable via book section ‘Furniture’
Single bat prefab added to parts of caves
Improved lilypad pop-in
Med pickups now go direct to inventory instead of being eaten on pickup

Sounds:

Improved cannibal village track implementation
‘Lake’ track added to Geese Lake
Bash pass at all ambient sound implementation, better transitions, better positioning, fall off and ranges
Thunder and rain sounds randomized
Cave audio pass, adding reverb and echo, better balancing
Underwater sound filter added
Water footsteps sounds now play when you walk into water

Performance:

More memory optimizations should improve stability
Lowered memory usage further if 32bit windows is detected, should fix crash on opening if less than 4gbs of usable memory is available (note: 4gb usable is still recommended)

Bugs:

Head no longer pokes through collision!
Fixed some items missing from inventory when game was loaded
Fixed collision where you could wall walk out of plane
Fixed can’t carry more raw fish message that would appear when you had too many rocks.
Fixed pond covered in logs
Fixed left hand held conflicts between lighter, torch walkman etc
Removed gleam on inventory coins and flares
Fixed floating garden
Fixed leaf vertex colors on small leaf hut
Fixed flare gun falling through yacht
Fixed log going to -1 if you died whilst holding a log
Fixed small effigy construction shader being too faint
Removed grass cutting from opening inventory (was causing crashes on some pc’s)

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I don't see anything about fixing/lowering building costs. Or dropping molotovs at your feet when switching them out. That other stuff looks cool and I'm gonna give it a try later.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

This game is super buggy right now and a lot of things are broken or not implemented, but there is a ton of promise here. The enemy AI and animations are some of the most interesting and unnerving things I've ever seen in a video game.
Seconding this. My first thoughts after putting a few hours into several attempts were
1). Wow, this is bugged out as all hell.
2). Most of those bugs aren't game destroying and look like they could be easily fixed given time.
3). Ignoring the bugs, this game has an absolutely rock solid foundation of gameplay. Seriously, the amount of potential here is phenomenal.

In fact back when I bought it in early June I was so captured by it that I considered starting a thread here but, well... :effort:
Looks like Untrustable beat me to it.

xutech posted:

v0.03 patch notes
The hell do they mean by "Added player head?"
Also they said they fixed the inventory bug last patch too but that never took for me at all. Has anyone who's gotten a chance to play this know if they finally fixed it once and for all because that's the main thing keeping me from really diving into this instead of just starting a brand new game every time I boot it up.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

InequalityGodzilla posted:

The hell do they mean by "Added player head?"

Before 0.03, if you looked at your shadow there was no head :ssh:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Did they make .03 drastically harder? I'm having a very hard time getting out of the crash area before running into guys i can't handle yet.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

circ dick soleil posted:

Before 0.03, if you looked at your shadow there was no head :ssh:

Well now it ruins my joke when I look at his shadow and ominously whisper " I don't think he survived the crash".

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Untrustable posted:

Well now it ruins my joke when I look at his shadow and ominously whisper " I don't think he survived the crash".

Use spoiler tags next time you post the huge end-game reveal.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Nah, the real twist is when you sit down to eat a protein bar after fighting your way through a village full of mutants with molotovs and a fire axe when you realize you're the real monster.

Also that your kid was dead the whole time and you're in a 6th Sense knockoff.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think a problem with that reading is the incredibly violent and cannibalistic behavior of the inhabitants. If even one village of these weirdos, or even one cave had less than hostile, violent mutants with corpses dangling from the ceiling I might almost feel bad about setting an entire village of the shitstains on fire. Or when I wake up from my camps and a posse is waiting to drag me into their food caves.

I've really got no problem taking an axe to these dudes. If they're supposed to be sympathetic I don't think that's been implemented yet :v:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Finally for the first time since buying this game, I managed to finish building a log cabin. My journey was not without hardships though. First thing I did was start cutting trees, when a single female cannibal came out of nowhere and scared the bejesus out of me. She then knocked me unconscious and I woke up in the murder caves. Once in the caves I went looking for the exits and found about 40 of those nothing-but-legs monsters and immediately died. I then summoned all my courage, put the game in peaceful mode, and built that loving cabin. Unfortunately the cabin has a wonky door that can kill you if you walk into it wrong.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

You think the door's bad, let me tell you what it was like to build a log cabin in v0.02. To expend all that effort only to find it hadn't even been implemented as a proper shelter yet :suicide: had to settle for juuuuust managing to squeeze a hunting shelter into the inside of it.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I just got this game yesterday with some birthday money! :woop: It's insanely fun so far even if I woke up my partner screeching when I saw my first fiftythousand armed cave mutant after I got captured//knocked out. It's a bit buggy, but for 15 bucks that I wasn't even expecting to have it seems worth it, so far. I've bought both Nether and The Forest, and both've been fun so far.

I did Notice that all the plants that are edible in the game are based on or actually are real plants; I was considering making a survival guide as more plants and mushrooms come out with game updates, because I dabble in botany and poison-making as a hobby. I immediately knew what to and what not to eat, but I...am not entirely sure other people know that much about plants. :gonk:

Note: There seem to be flowers I can pick that don't appear in my inventory, yet, but I know what all of them are used for, and they seem to be medicinal! Neat! I hope they implement medical crafting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think I may try it again now that it's been updated. On the first patch, the game was so poorly optimized that my computer (which can play almost everything I throw at it from 2013 and prior with little to no loss in frame rate, including Crysis on high detail) couldn't handle the game unless the graphics were turned down as low as they could go. And it still had a lower frame rate than, say, Dead Space 3 or Spec Ops or Outlast.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Freakbox posted:

I dabble in... poison-making as a hobby

:stare:

How do you assess the success of your poison-making attempts?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alain Perdrix posted:

:stare:

How do you assess the success of your poison-making attempts?

Not with anybody you'll miss.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Not with anybody you'll miss.
I think most people are content with like, knitting, or collecting old books, dude.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I sew, bake, collect aprons, build computers, sculpt, and read//collect books, too. :byodame: I get bored easily.

Non-Game Note: There's not an effective way to fully test a lot of the compounds unless it happened//happens to be on something living, and that would be a bit sad; I would never use a living animal :ohdear:. Mostly, I use insects or plant specimens, because the compounds in most of the successful liquid mixtures would be enough to kill or harm the plant//insect. For most of them, you can just dry them and grind them up or something. I just like to grow them because they're things not a lot of people grow, anymore- they're usually very beautiful plants. It would probably be better of me to say that I grow them more than use them.

((:science:- we still use atropine and digitalis in heart medicines, sometimes, and atropine to dilate pupils. They come from nightshade and foxglove!))

So don't worry- I'm not a serial killer. That would require too much effort. At least if the world dissolves into Mad Max chaos you all can come to me for tonics and tinctures. You'll get a goon discount for giving me a promo code written in old ink on a piece of irradiated paper.

Game Note: I'm really liking where this game is going, though. It updates a LOT more frequently than some of the alphas I've invested in. Has anyone tried the house-boats, yet? I haven't really lived long enough to manage it.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 20, 2014

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I hope the devs are working on a multiplayer release some time in the near future because I want to see this game compete with Day Z and Rust. The inventory and crafting are a huge improvement over the boxes and menus that clutter every other survival-crafting game. And it's just way better looking in general.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Freakbox posted:

I sew, bake, collect aprons, build computers, sculpt, and read//collect books, too. :byodame: I get bored easily.

Non-Game Note: There's not an effective way to fully test a lot of the compounds unless it happened//happens to be on something living, and that would be a bit sad; I would never use a living animal :ohdear:. Mostly, I use insects or plant specimens, because the compounds in most of the successful liquid mixtures would be enough to kill or harm the plant//insect. For most of them, you can just dry them and grind them up or something. I just like to grow them because they're things not a lot of people grow, anymore- they're usually very beautiful plants. It would probably be better of me to say that I grow them more than use them.

((:science:- we still use atropine and digitalis in heart medicines, sometimes, and atropine to dilate pupils. They come from nightshade and foxglove!))

So don't worry- I'm not a serial killer. That would require too much effort. At least if the world dissolves into Mad Max chaos you all can come to me for tonics and tinctures. You'll get a goon discount for giving me a promo code written in old ink on a piece of irradiated paper.
You sound like a fascinating person and I'm not sure if there's any way I can say that without it coming across as unintentionally insulting.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I've only seen videos, but ... how murdery/torturey do you guys think this game going to end up like? I like aspects of what I'm seeing, but if the end game is having a million horrific traps and gory body part sculptures in your yard while you sit around listening to mutants cry, it might not be for me.

On the other hand it looks like it has some serious potential for being a high-def Stranded successor (although I hear that guy is actually making a sequel in Unity too).

*edit* Freakbox, agreed, growing toxic plants is a legit cool hobby.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Locus posted:

I've only seen videos, but ... how murdery/torturey do you guys think this game going to end up like? I like aspects of what I'm seeing, but if the end game is having a million horrific traps and gory body part sculptures in your yard while you sit around listening to mutants cry, it might not be for me.

On the other hand it looks like it has some serious potential for being a high-def Stranded successor (although I hear that guy is actually making a sequel in Unity too).

*edit* Freakbox, agreed, growing toxic plants is a legit cool hobby.

I don't think it'll end up much worse than it is. Anything beyond the current combat system, outside of adding more "component damage" and increasing the gore detail, would feel excessive and voyeuristic, like a snuff film. I don't think that's what the creators are going for.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hey guys guess what its

PATCH 0.04

Features and changes:

- New A.I. behaviour, mutants will sometimes go home to sleep during day along with other new routines

- Distorted mutants can now be killed with regular weapons

- Distorted mutants more aggressive and deadly in combat and have expanded actions

- Better ambient lighting. Trees and large objects diffusely occlude skylight (experimental)

- Pause menu now actually pauses game

- Enemies use rocks more often to jump attack at player

- New female enemy type added.

- Better distribution of enemies throughout the world.

- Constructed bench now works and players can sit to regain energy or watch sunset

- Increased axe damage against enemies

- More variation to female cannibal models, added procedural breasts size system

- Improved Rabbit/Lizard distribution and optimized CPU usage.

- Improved sky and sun look

- Improved dead cave lighting and cave 2 lighting

- Better cave textures and rock look

- Dead cave prop fixes, fixed some incorrect rock placements

- Improved load times and added loading percentage amount

- Re-balanced hunger drain

- Better cave ground with flowing water and more detailed textures

- Enemies will now push small items out of the way instead of getting stuck on them

- Dead sharks now ragdoll

Bugs:

- Fixed rain sound never going away even after rain stops

- Fixed bug where some partially built structures couldn’t be completed after loading a saved game

- Fixed animals sometimes disappearing in regular and vegan mode

- Fixed issue where you could still shoot flare gun or use other weapons when pause menu was open

- Yacht random position won’t change now or get lost when saved game is loaded

- Fixed all effigies turning into arm effigy on load

- Fixed E to add icon showing up if holding a rock or stick even if items not needed in building

- Fixed cave drips continuing to play even when not in cave

- Fixed fish swimming outside of pond near cliff section

- Fixed fullness always starting at half when loading a saved game

- Fixed moonlight sometimes missing completely

- Fixed stick marker vanishing on loading saved game

- Fixed missing collision roof of cabin

- Fixed player flying in air after chopping dead bodies

- Rain effigy effect should now work and will wear off after time

- Cannibals spawning in villages no longer ‘pop’ when waking up

- Fixed creepy female model attacks sometimes not hitting player

- Fixed bug where bird landing on hand would sometimes stop axe from working

- Fixed enemy head and leg pickups sometimes appearing as arm pickups

A lot of good stuff in here, and one really weird thing...

WHY!?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
^^ God drat it I'll never trust you again. :mad:

I'm glad this appears to be actually developing cause it looks good and I had early access guilt. I'd only bought it on the condition it had procedural tits anyway.

e: v0.04

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 22, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

added procedural breasts size system

I guess the intention is to start improving immersion by procedurally generating the appearance of the cannibals to completely randomize their looks....but there's no way to make that sentence sound good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I was gonna give this game a high C rating, but now with the procedural breast size system I can finally give it the DD it deserves.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 22, 2014

• Locked thread