Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

oval office AND PASTE posted:

so unlink your hotmail account

i do actually use skydrive as a garbagetoilet for keepass archives and and scratchpads so the sign-in-and-sync is cool, i just want the option to store credentials

cause really, if someone who isn't me is sitting at my pc my o so precious cloud data isn't my biggest concern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
sounds like you are caring too much

try caring less

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

phew that was a close one, thanks

funny computers

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

here's the thing, windows doesn't have to fully start the whole system to display that login prompt

it keeps loading stuff in the background

it may not be your user stuff but if the pin is what's holding you back, well, I dunno

also why are you cold booting so much that this is a problem

just let it go to sleep/hibernate

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

look what you've done, you've got me caring :-(

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

oval office AND PASTE posted:

also why are you cold booting so much that this is a problem

most recently to stop the fans from filling the case with drywall dust but yes i should hibernate more and post less

let's talk about the surface rt instead

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

my favorite part about hibernation is that it is now a hidden feature unless you specifically go in there to turn it on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's cause sleep is always better

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
what is the difference?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

duTrieux. posted:

my favorite part about hibernation is that it is now a hidden feature unless you specifically go in there to turn it on

its a hybrid sleep/hiberate and the hibernation file is automatically written when you put it to sleep so it can still come back if there is a power loss event. on 7 if it detected that the system was a laptop with a battery then it would present them as discrete options but the hardware has gotten so much better in recent years that there's no real power savings with hibernate over sleep unless you're leaving it unused for a week+ straight so I wouldn't be surprised if they removed that and let the power management handle automatically transitioning from sleep to hibernate when the battery passes a certain threshold

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sleep leaves stuff in memory and puts the computer in a low power state. resume from sleep is instant because the state is in memory already.

hibernate copies the stuff in memory to disk and then shuts the computer off. when the computer is turned back on it loads the state back into memory from disk. this is as slow as your disk.

the danger is with a laptop sleep uses power (not much) so it could use all ur battery and then die and then you loose all the stuff in memory. that's where hybrid sleep comes in. hybrid sleep is the same as sleep but also the same as hibernate. it leaves stuff in memory and goes into low power mode like sleep, and also copies state to disk. this way if the battery runs out you can resume from the hibernate file

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

gently caress that, sometimes i want to put a device to sleep and sometimes i want it to hibernate. my body, my rules. no means no. hell no we won't go. black power.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

e:i need to type faster

hibernate is poo poo if you are not a laptop

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

gently caress that, sometimes i want to put a device to sleep and sometimes i want it to hibernate. my body, my rules. no means no. hell no we won't go. black power.

I'm what you might call a power user and I think I know a little something about computers, mr billy grates

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I use my laptop once every two weeks. if it sleeps then I need to recharge it every time I pick it up

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Management posted:

I use my laptop once every two weeks. if it sleeps then I need to recharge it every time I pick it up

if only there was a setting to tell the computer to automatically transition from sleep to hibernate at a specific battery level. oh well, I guess a thing like that absolutely does not exist and certainly not since the Windows XP days absolutely no hope 4 u

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yes, I want it to drain the battery before hibernating, the worst of both worlds

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Shaggar posted:

sleep leaves stuff in memory and puts the computer in a low power state. resume from sleep is instant because the state is in memory already.

hibernate copies the stuff in memory to disk and then shuts the computer off. when the computer is turned back on it loads the state back into memory from disk. this is as slow as your disk.

the danger is with a laptop sleep uses power (not much) so it could use all ur battery and then die and then you loose all the stuff in memory. that's where hybrid sleep comes in. hybrid sleep is the same as sleep but also the same as hibernate. it leaves stuff in memory and goes into low power mode like sleep, and also copies state to disk. this way if the battery runs out you can resume from the hibernate file

apple added this feature like a decade ago

good job microsoft

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idg why te gently caress you'd ever turn yor compute off? unless to change overlock settings in bios or something else that literally can be down during runtime

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I turn my compiuter off when I'm not using it, that way the bits are fresh every time I start it up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if u tourn youre computer off how do you maintain a good ratio???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

seedbox you poors

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

"xbox, hybrid sleep".

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
my uptime

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

apple added this feature like a decade ago

good job microsoft

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

seedbox you poors

u know why I'm not poor? because I don't pay for redundancy

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
holy hibernate sperg

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

81u1 is great

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

PurdWerfect posted:

81u1 is great

okay, mr. buckley

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloody posted:

also protein folding

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PurdWerfect posted:

81u1 is great

I'm waiting for 8.1u1v1sp1 at least. i'll consider rc1 of it, though.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

prefect posted:

also protein folding

same except seti

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Microsoft recently rereleased Visual Studio Installer, a plugin for Visual Studio 2013 U2 that replicates an installer setup last seen in Visual Studio 2008. It hasn't changed, or maybe it has gotten worse, possibly a rewrite in .NET.

I'm sitting with 16GB ram and every though task manager says only a few hundred MB is being used notepad is reporting out of memory whilst the plugin is running. It's taking 1-2 minutes to add and remove any file or registry entry to the install project. It still only supports file and registry entries, you cannot manage services.

Once complete with a project I hit build, a long while later an MSI file appears. Run the MSI, "error parsing token AE". Good jorb Microsoft!

I spent the next day learning WiX.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

someone here may care: [WSJ] PlayStation is Video Game Industry’s Biggest TV Spender So Far This Year

quote:

The video game industry has spent $226.5 million on TV commercials in the first five months of the year, according to research firm iSpot, dominated by PlayStation and Xbox. Both companies have released eight TV ads so far in 2014.

Through the end of May, PlayStation has spent $59 million on national TV placements this year, iSpot said. The brand’s commercial spending has been focused on networks such as Fox, ESPN and Comedy Central during programs like NBA basketball and SportsCenter.

PlayStation’s most digitally effective spot, according to iSpot, so far this year is the “Greatness” ad. That spot, which features scenes from some of the brand’s top games, aired 1,058 times on national TV since its March debut and has an estimated ad spend of $9 million, iSpot said. “Greatness” has received more than 2.5 million online views and more than 17,000 social actions, including tweets, likes and shares.

As a brand, PlayStation’s generated more than 7.4 million digital actions, or 19% of all digital engagement in its category this year.

Xbox, meanwhile, has spent $34.7 million on TV commercials through the end of May, iSpot said. The brand’s commercial spending has been concentrated on networks such as Fox Sports 1, Fox and Comedy Central.

The brand’s most digitally effective ad year-to-date is its “All-in-One” spot, which shows off everything the new Xbox One entertainment system can do. The commercial aired more than 1,300 times on national TV since its January debut and has an estimated ad spend of $12.1 million, according to iSpot. The ad has also amassed more than one million online views and more than 6,000 social actions.

Overall, Xbox as a brand has generated more than 2.2 million digital actions, or more than 6% of all digital engagement in the video game category so far this year, according to iSpot.

The bulk of video game companies’ TV ad spending occurs between October and the end of the year. ISpot said Xbox spent $73.6 million on commercials for all of 2013, the most of any video game maker. It was followed by Activision, which had a big marketing push for the release of its latest Call of Duty game last year, PlayStation and Nintendo.
the research firm's top spenders this week has Microsoft Surface at #5, estimate of ~$14.9m spent with 1031 national airings

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

why side to side pie charts

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

why side to side pie charts

w/ different colors no less lol

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Smythe posted:

w/ different colors no less lol

Posjting while blind

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Millstone posted:

Posjting while blind

ok. im saying the colors dont match. like, fox sports is blue in 1, and normal fox is blue in the other. wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

- better file copy dialogue

um are you making GBS threads me? its not better because it still handles shiut the same lovely way. who cares what speed it is. still forces all subsequent copy actions to run concurrently

are you SURE you want to move thumbs.db?????

• Locked thread