Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
when i was like 10, i had a friend who always made me watch dr. who with him before we could play his video games.

it was the loving worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i watched an episode of dr ho and i was like "man these chinese knockoff shows really suck"

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the show is loving terrible. you need to savor the terribleness, not push it away

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Dr Who's a fun children's show. Families watch it together (unlike star trek and other nerd stuff) and conservatives get angry with it for pushing the gay agenda on our children.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Old Dr. Who. Good.
New Dr. Who. Bad.
Sherlock. Great.

Enid Coleslaw
May 17, 2011

by Ion Helmet
i have really strong opinion about tv shows

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Like most shows aimed at eight year olds Dr Who is pretty fun to watch iff you're eight years old.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Like most shows aimed at eight year olds Dr Who is pretty fun to watch iff you're eight years old.

Wish "iff" would catch on outside maths. Useful word.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I like the Doctor Who show but I don't know anyone else who watches it outside my family & I haven't liked it the last handful of years. Like for some reason I can watch the old episodes where you've got old Shakespearean actors in blackface & it takes forever for anything to happen but when they switched to Eleven the show got really hard to watch & I don't think it was the actor's fault. I liked all the Doctors though, well not what's-his-gently caress in the rainbow suit but all the others.

butplug accident posted:

someone explain the mechanism behind autistic/broken women being extremely into high functioning psychopaths like doctor who and sherlock holmes

I have no idea. Lots of people are kinda hosed up in the head?

Bolian Blues posted:

Same reason Spock was so popular with women trekkies back in the 60s and 70s, they think they can break through his cold/asexual exterior

Young Leonard Nimoy could hit it tho, probably had a bit to do with it. Both Shatner & Nimoy are different body types & personalities that appeal to different women, kinda like why there was both a Ginger & Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island. They put attractive people on shows for a reason.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:

thehacker0 posted:

Same here. I had heard good things, but when I checked it out it looked so cheesy and low budget I couldn't even finish an episode

quakster posted:

the show is loving terrible. you need to savor the terribleness, not push it away

what quakmeister said

also

stuntwaffle posted:

more like dr. who the hell cares

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Effectronica posted:

actually, most people consider the new series to have steadily degenerated throughout

I don't know if it's most people. It seems like a lot of folks are of the opinion (which I share) that it didn't start getting good until sometime in Tennant's run, and then it got really awful to unwatchable in the eleventh doctor's run.

It is a goofy, frequently stupid show but there are a handful of really standout scifi stories in some episodes. "Blink" is the best introduction to the modern show.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Vincent and the Doctor was pretty loving good.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Haha, liking entertainment.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
i think everybody should be reminded of the episodes where standing stones were glowing and scooting around the countryside smashing though people's windows and draining them of blood

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

BrainMeats posted:

Dr. Who likes to hang out with attractive ladies that he keeps in the friend zone. It's the ultimate revenge fantasy.

there is way more truth in this than most who fans would ever admit

PlantRobot posted:

i think everybody should be reminded of the episodes where standing stones were glowing and scooting around the countryside smashing though people's windows and draining them of blood

that one had the two brisk old tweedy English lesbians in it, that one is the bomb. it was a Tom Baker Doctor one, too

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

bitterandtwisted posted:

Dr Who's a fun children's show. Families watch it together (unlike star trek and other nerd stuff) and conservatives get angry with it for pushing the gay agenda on our children.
The star trek shows were totally the sort of poo poo families watched together

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I like NuWho for a while but then I
Got tired of it. I'll probably watch the new ones though since they're going back to the Doctor being a lovely old man, which is how he should be.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Whatev posted:

The star trek shows were totally the sort of poo poo families watched together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md0A09F8z4E

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Awful episodes of awful shows don't disprove that it was intended for families.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

bonestructure posted:

there is way more truth in this than most who fans would ever admit

that one had the two brisk old tweedy English lesbians in it, that one is the bomb. it was a Tom Baker Doctor one, too

The problem is Stephen Moffat writes all the women the same or should I say as jerk off fantasies for himself

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Young Leonard Nimoy could hit it tho

:swoon:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The problem is Stephen Moffat writes all the women the same or should I say as jerk off fantasies for himself

This was long before Moffatt ever got his grubby mitts on it. I had to look it up, the episode PlantRobot is talking about is called (duh) The Stones of Blood. And it is gloriously cheap, badly-filmed, and stupid. :allears: I loved the show as a kid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I only watched half a series of Dr. Who and that's because the companion was a black woman. I didn't know anything about the show at the time, but I remember it was a HUGE deal that they FINALLY had a black character on the show (there was so much press about this. It was SO GROUND BREAKING WOW A BLACK CHARACTER! Mind you, this was only a few years ago. Way to go, England). I tuned in because I wanted to support this show of diversity. The character's name was Martha.

3 episodes into the series they made it obvious that the black female companion didn't matter one loving bit, so I gave up right away. From what I see on Tumblr, I'm not missing poo poo.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Carl Seitan posted:

Tardis? More like tarded.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Hobo Camp posted:

I only watched half a series of Dr. Who and that's because the companion was a black woman. I didn't know anything about the show at the time, but I remember it was a HUGE deal that they FINALLY had a black character on the show (there was so much press about this. It was SO GROUND BREAKING WOW A BLACK CHARACTER! Mind you, this was only a few years ago. Way to go, England). I tuned in because I wanted to support this show of diversity. The character's name was Martha.

3 episodes into the series they made it obvious that the black female companion didn't matter one loving bit, so I gave up right away. From what I see on Tumblr, I'm not missing poo poo.

She was a great character and the Doctor was a mopey rear end in a top hat to her. But there were some excellent episodes that run. "Human Nature," "Family of Blood," "Blink," and "Utopia" were four of my favorite episodes, all in a row. The next companion, Donna Noble (Catherine Tate) was also a great character.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:

Is that Johnny depp? What movie?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

DonJNavarro posted:

Is that Johnny depp? What movie?

Fear and Loathing...

Duh.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

butplug accident posted:

theyre both infallible ponces who strut around with goofball sidekicks solving scooby doo mysteries

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
dr who is either decent-good or horrifically bad. it makes watching a new one an adventure of sorts

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
thanks op

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I don't like NuWho. The Doctor should be a crusty old professor type, forever and always :colbert:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
theme song rules. after that its all just secret pedo poo poo

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

David Tennant is like a 6 at best and Matt Smith has no loving eyebrows and a faggy haircut. I will never understand why geeky bitches cream themselves over those guys.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Clochette posted:

David Tennant is like a 6 at best and Matt Smith has no loving eyebrows and a faggy haircut. I will never understand why geeky bitches cream themselves over those guys.

They know how to use a sonic SCREWdriver... :iamafag:

David Tennant has cute hair. The other one has Benedict Cumberpatch syndrome.

English dudes. :rolleyes:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Carl Seitan posted:

Tardis? More like tarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHVW-S9JkKA

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

psyopmonkey posted:

They know how to use a sonic SCREWdriver... :iamafag:

David Tennant has cute hair. The other one has Benedict Cumberpatch syndrome.

English dudes. :rolleyes:

My husband is English and very handsome. :colbert: Actually, that's what confuses me about this whole thing. I always figured that American women get really fangirly over these British actors because of their exotic accents, but it's not like there are no good-looking English guys.

Also:

SEPARATED AT BIRTH???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Clochette posted:

My husband is English and very handsome. :colbert: Actually, that's what confuses me about this whole thing. I always figured that American women get really fangirly over these British actors because of their exotic accents, but it's not like there are no good-looking English guys.

Also:

SEPARATED AT BIRTH???

Groovy Baby. Tell your hubby to go see a dentist. :colbert:

• Locked thread