Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue's Clues

guys i'm not even convinced parker has two eyes. maybe a spatial issue? this is hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
those fucken talitubbies blew up our plane..

WhenInRome
pilot theodore parker stared into space, dead to everything except the constant hum of the engine and the lights of the instruments. it had been 2 weeks since fluffy had left him for some douchebag stuffed shark fresh out of a prize claw, and yet the memory still stung like it was yesterday. glancing over at his copilot to make sure he was asleep, he pulled out the secret flask of bourbon from his chair and drank heavily. it was a clear day and it was over 6 hours to their destination, what was the harm? that was when he heard the door slam open. quickly hiding the flask, he looked over to see a small child who had somehow made it into the cockpit. "TEDDY" the hideous toddler screamed "I WANNA TEDDY" he picked up parker and began to shake him violently. a gunshot rang out, and the child dropped to the floor. his copilot had woken up and thought the child was a terrorist. parker stared at the lifeless body, too horrified for words. he climbed back into his chair, knowing what he had to do. he grabbed the controls and aimed the plane down, down, down. as the plane began to nosedive, he pulled out the flask and took a swig.

Looke

WhenInRome posted:

pilot theodore parker stared into space, dead to everything except the constant hum of the engine and the lights of the instruments. it had been 2 weeks since fluffy had left him for some douchebag stuffed shark fresh out of a prize claw, and yet the memory still stung like it was yesterday. glancing over at his copilot to make sure he was asleep, he pulled out the secret flask of bourbon from his chair and drank heavily. it was a clear day and it was over 6 hours to their destination, what was the harm? that was when he heard the door slam open. quickly hiding the flask, he looked over to see a small child who had somehow made it into the cockpit. "TEDDY" the hideous toddler screamed "I WANNA TEDDY" he picked up parker and began to shake him violently. a gunshot rang out, and the child dropped to the floor. his copilot had woken up and thought the child was a terrorist. parker stared at the lifeless body, too horrified for words. he climbed back into his chair, knowing what he had to do. he grabbed the controls and aimed the plane down, down, down. as the plane began to nosedive, he pulled out the flask and took a swig.

Diqnol

lmfao

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
i never even went to flight school how did i end up here

Blue's Clues

how do airplanes even work? what keeps them in the air for so long magnets?

joke_explainer

Peta posted:

Who ordered Malaysia Airlines Flight 17*********** to fly through war-torn Ukrainian airspace?

And why?

Let's get a head start on the other SA forums and get to the bottom of this fast, BYOB.

Sorry, I referenced the wrong ethnic cleansing incident, in the OP title.

Civilian air traffic has not been redirected. It's relatively easy for anti air systems to distinguish between civilian and military aircraft, which generally fly higher and faster... or lower, and don't beep constantly going HEY I AM A CIVILIAN AT THIS LOCATION.

In 2001 there an S-200 accidentally shot down A TU-54, Siberian Airlines Flight 1812. Basically they launched a missile as a training excersize, but the seeker warhead was armed and just was like 'oh hey I'll blow up that plane, cool'. I wouldn't have thought that kind of malfunction could happen with the more advanced Buk launchers talked about here, the missiles are high performance and cool as all hell when they aren't exploding your civilian aircraft. But I'm guessing something like this happened. Launched the missile and it tracked the slower moving civilian target instead of the military one they were aiming for somehow. We know the 'pro russian rebels' have been engaging in anti-air actions this week, with a couple of Sukhoi-25s getting shot down. So that's my best guess. I really doubt whoever pressed the button meant to down the civilian craft, destroying it fucks things up for both sides...

i am he

malaysia airlines flight smh17

joke_explainer

Looks like Ukraine's equivalent of the FAA did shut down civilian air traffic on July 8th.

joke_explainer

Apparently, one of the leaders of the pro-russian rebels posted this shortly after it was shot down, then removed it.

Translation (from goatdrugs):

some insane rear end in a top hat posted:

AN-26 airplane was shot down near Torez, it fell somewhere behind the mine "Progress".
We warned - do not fly in "our sky".
And here is the video proof of another "bird-fall" (bird = slang for an airplane).
Another bird fell behind the spoil tip, residential areas were not affected.
No civilians were harmed.

Doesn't make a lot of sense though, A Boeing-777 doesn't look anything like an AN-26 on radar. The AN-26 is 25 meters long, turboprop, Boeing-777 is 73 meters, wingspan is 29.2 on the AN-26, 64 meters on the 777, and two jets instead of turboprops.

So the service ceiling is 7500 meters on the AN-26. Average cruise altitude is 11,000 meters for the 777. Also, it was moving 2.3 times faster than it is even possible for the AN-26 to move.

Blue's Clues

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

No civilians were harmed

phew!

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW

my new dog posted:

i never even went to flight school how did i end up here

I never even went home but now Im here

pogi

FluffieDuckie posted:

Plane was traveling at 35,000 feet. Shoulder launch missles max out at 22,000 feet.

Fox News analyst: Ofc we can't rule out a shoulder launch missle

:foxnews:

it frightens me that you know this, plz don't blow anybody up duckie

FluffieDuckie

DrSanchez posted:

it frightens me that you know this, plz don't blow anybody up duckie

doesn't everyone know the range of a ground to air shoulder mount missle? :shrug:

Captain No-mates

Arnold of Soissons posted:

np hth

so are the survivors going to be flown back to malasia to be burried or what?

tbh i hope that none of the survivors are buried that seems messed up

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Captain No-mates posted:

Russians are pretty messed up people.

FartGhost

Captain No-mates posted:

Don't worry no one survived it

Captain No-mates

FartGhost posted:

Don't worry no one survived it

phew

Captain No-mates

escaped being buried alive

WindmillSlayer

I sit in a seat. No lights. I sit. No light. I sit. Oxygen mask. I sit. Screaming. I put on my mask. More screaming. A childs screams. Fire. I smell fire.

Water. I see water. I picked a window seat. I breathe deeply. I puke. I scream. Everyone is screaming. I hear a shout of pain. People stand. People fall. I sit.

I see water.

I breathe. It tastes like acid.

I am in my seatbelt. I am in water. My back is in pain. No more screaming. I cannot unbuckle myself.

I breathe.

joke_explainer

WindmillSlayer posted:

I sit in a seat. No lights. I sit. No light. I sit. Oxygen mask. I sit. Screaming. I put on my mask. More screaming. A childs screams. Fire. I smell fire.

Water. I see water. I picked a window seat. I breathe deeply. I puke. I scream. Everyone is screaming. I hear a shout of pain. People stand. People fall. I sit.

I see water.

I am in my seatbelt. I am in water. My back is in pain. No more screaming. I cannot unbuckle myself.

I breathe.

Cool poem, but it didn't land in water afaik

pogi

WindmillSlayer posted:

I see water.

I breathe.

watch out windy, duckie doesn't like poetry and she knows how to blow things up :irony::duckie::irony:

Korean Boomhauer
how many americans died, this is all i care about?

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

WindmillSlayer posted:

I see water.

I breathe.

i dont like this new you

Reset Button

Korean Boomhauer posted:

how many americans died, this is all i care about?

none i think
mostly dutch ppl

Noctis Horrendae
Maybe this is actually MH370?

joke_explainer

Reset Button posted:

none i think
mostly dutch ppl

like 23 americans are dead

problematic hug

problematic hug fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 18, 2014

FluffieDuckie

oh, we should fly AROUND the warzone? got it

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo

sort of in it

i am he

haha wow, looks exactly like a penis

Nameless_Steve

by Pragmatica
Putin put out a statement saying that it's the Ukrainians' fault.

He never says that the Ukrainians did it, just that it's their fault.

Only the Russian military has the sophisticated missiles that can shoot down a plane at that altitude so it's pretty obvious.

So, how many war criminals have you seen shirtless pictures of? At least one, now.

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW

FluffieDuckie posted:

:monocle:

dogcrash truther
It's hosed up what happened in flight MJ420 when Steve kicked the bong over

i am he

Ted 2 is when the foul mouthed teddy bear named ted takes his drinking problem to the skies

joke_explainer

FluffieDuckie posted:

but that costs lots of fuel and time and is a big logistical nightmare...

on the other hand so does getting blown up, lots of wasted fuel.

the ukranian FAA (not actually named that) shut down civilian flights in the area but there were still a ton of international flights flying through areas not deemed risky, that changed real quick after that though and you aren't seeing many airplanes flying through there.

thewizardofshoe

They probably shot it down so they could huff any jet fuel that wasn't burned off in the fire.

cuntman.net

FluffieDuckie posted:

Plane was traveling at 35,000 feet. Shoulder launch missles max out at 22,000 feet.

Fox News analyst: Ofc we can't rule out a shoulder launch missle

:foxnews:

you can get some extra height by jumping before firing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Sleepy Owl posted:

you can get some extra height by jumping before firing

they probably rocket-jumped first and at the top of the arc then fired

• Locked thread