Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triple A

Your sword, sahib.

joat mon posted:

He should say even though people find an ADJECTIVE beauty in NOUN, in the function of it, in the object itself and the use of it as AN ACTIVITY, this appreciation is immaturity/insecurity. It reflects a very limited view of the world as a whole: You might appreciate the ADJECTIVE, but that takes the object as a singular thing, as if it exists in a world without context. Every object has to be judged in the greater context in society and the universe as a whole. As long as his VERB objects are designed, and have potency, as PLURAL NOUN, and are employed as PLURAL NOUN, the 'beauty' of a NOUN is shortsightedness. In context, the NOUN's consequences are ADJECTIVE and can't be divorced from that. Even the act of VERB is a tragedy on both sides in context, both ADJECTIVE and diminishing to the OCCUPATION and ADJECTIVE and regrettable to the person that PAST TENSE VERB it, not to mention ADJECTIVE improbable in context with all the other ADJECTIVE of PLURAL NOUN. To value PLURAL NOUN as ADJECTIVE, you divorce the context, ADJECTIVE the destruction of NOUN, and delight in the NOUN the human NOUN is capable of.

PLURAL NOUN cannot be ADJECTIVE appreciated until they no longer are ADJECTIVE to human PLURAL NOUN. To do so willingly increases the sum total of NOUN and NOUN in our culture, even if you never use your NOUN in EMOTION. No human that aspires to behave ADVERB can justify this action, and if you do not aspire to VERB ADVERB, you are not the kind of NOUN that should be allowed to wield NOUN.

saving as pseudointellectualhogwashtemplate.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol

Interceptor V8 spent 5 years in prison because his mom told him to shoot for the stars.

FluffieDuckie

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Interceptor V8 spent 5 years in prison because his mom told him to shoot for the stars.

yes, yes excellent

cuntman.net

dumbshit gay retard assfaggots

joke_explainer

Triple A posted:

saving as pseudointellectualhogwashtemplate.txt

that's rude. I actually think all that is true. If you can't be bothered to read it, the basic summary is that anyone who glorifies or finds beauty in weapons shouldn't be allowed to own them, since it is direct proof of short-sightedness about the context of weapons. The use of weapons is a tragedy.

City of Glompton

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i could eat peach for hours

joat mon

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

that's rude. I actually think all that is true. If you can't be bothered to read it, the basic summary is that anyone who glorifies or finds beauty in weapons shouldn't be allowed to own them, since it is direct proof of short-sightedness about the context of weapons. The use of weapons is a tragedy.

It works equally well for smoking, alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat (especially bacon), bad language, chocolate, gasoline, uneducational toys and anything spicy. Abortion and pregnancy, too.

google THIS

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

aren't you running an LP thread of a game where you run around shooting members of a palatably dehumanized foreign culture this very minute

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i told my pregnant wife she looked beautiful and an anenemic bearded man slapped my face and called me a baby killer

ulvir

Jett posted:

aren't you running an LP thread of a game where you run around shooting members of a palatably dehumanized foreign culture this very minute

I'm a pacifist irl but I love violent media like games, movies, TV shows b/c it isn't real

google THIS

ulvir posted:

I'm a pacifist irl but I love violent media like games, movies, TV shows b/c it isn't real

ya but by the logic of the above post that means you appreciate the aesthetics of violence so you tacitly condone it

joke_explainer

nah, virtual weapons aren't actually harmful. the difference is like, you could like a nerf gun, because its not designed / part of a system of murder / torture.

you could appreciate a sculpture of something terrible.

but if that sculpture murdered thousands of people a year, or was responsible for a vast majority of suicides, there would start to be something incredibly tragic about it and it might not be appropriate to sit around glorifying it. the person that does glorify it at the expense of those lives isn't being internally self-consistent

ulvir

Jett posted:

ya but by the logic of the above post that means you appreciate the aesthetics of violence so you tacitly condone it

sounds like a fallacy to me

joke_explainer

joat mon posted:

It works equally well for smoking, alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat (especially bacon), bad language, chocolate, gasoline, uneducational toys and anything spicy. Abortion and pregnancy, too.

it was definitely overly pedantic because I was trying to be funny with an overdrawn response. how do spicy foods cause thousands of deaths a year?

smoking / drinking is at least mostly a self-directed weapon. you aren't glorifying the willful destruction of others, you know? almost all of those things are something an individual can choose to do if he wants. if you want to destroy yourself, that's fine, everyone the right to treat their life however they want. but guns are weapons for the ending of other sentient lives.

meat is a really tough one. I still don't know on that one. it would be preferably if we could just grow all our meat in big tubes or something with zero possibility of real sentience and suffering. hogs for example are smarter than dogs in some tests and a lot of people have a big problem with the idea of eating a dog. but we have no definitive test for sapience/sentience, or capability for suffering. I mean we know there's like, everything lower than oysters and stuff with no brain/nervous system on one side and we can be pretty sure that they can't suffer. we know how humans can suffer and what that looks like. so there's a line somewhere between humans and oysters. I wish we could know exactly where it is.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

this sort of debate is just what i come to byob for mm nummy can't get enough

joke_explainer

Jett posted:

Yep. I don't think virtual guns are a problem. You can't shoot somebody with a virtual gun IRL. Also if normal guns and stuff were not lethal / maiming, I wouldn't mind celebrating them as much.

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

this sort of debate is just what i come to byob for mm nummy can't get enough

sorry bo-peps I'm just killing time anyway

ulvir

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

sorry bo-peps I'm just killing time anyway

you monster, time never hurt nobody

ulvir

"time heals all wounds" you're literally murdering a doctor

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

"time is the only thief we can't get justice against" said terri guillemets but he never met dennis rasmussen

google THIS

there's still a catch-22 there though because the theoretical person who "should be allowed" to use guns had better have a good understanding of engineering, craftsmanship, and maintenance w/r/t guns for purely practical reasons

which would only naturally lead into a strong emotional response to the quality of a weapon that would if anything be amplified by the extreme gravity of using a weapon and because in a "kill or die" situation a poor quality weapon could mean death for the wielder and a good quality weapon could mean survival

and from there you pretty much can't help but move on to appreciating well made weapons aesthetically and boom, there you have it, a murder-mongering nutjob who glorifies weapons

google THIS

ok let's talk about cheese or something now, gently caress

cruft

Jett posted:

MORE BURNS

AK IS COUNTING ON US

cruft

Tell you what, guys, I know it's hard to come up with burns out of thin air, so why don't we burn each other (all in good fun, mind) and maybe AK will be able to retool some of them for his debate!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Jett posted:

oh now you're getting me really steamed oh boy

google THIS

i, for one, appreciate cheese, but i do so with a grim awareness that it causes constipation as well as a great deal of discomfort for people with lactose intolerence

sometimes the internal inconsistency keep me up at night or maybe it's because i'm plugged up from all this fukkin cheese lol

joke_explainer

Jett posted:

there's still a catch-22 there though because the theoretical person who "should be allowed" to use guns had better have a good understanding of engineering, craftsmanship, and maintenance w/r/t guns for purely practical reasons

which would only naturally lead into a strong emotional response to the quality of a weapon that would if anything be amplified by the extreme gravity of using a weapon and because in a "kill or die" situation a poor quality weapon could mean death for the wielder and a good quality weapon could mean survival

and from there you pretty much can't help but move on to appreciating well made weapons aesthetically and boom, there you have it, a murder-mongering nutjob who glorifies weapons

interesting counterpoint! yeah I admit it's not like the most well-researched idea in the world. Just was staring at the thread and wrote something that seemed vaguely right to me, but that is definitely an interesting idea I hadn't thought of, how someone's love of weapons might make conflicts more decisive... I guess I still just think weapons in general should be eliminated, but I know that's very idealistic

joke_explainer

Jett posted:

i, for one, appreciate cheese, but i do so with a grim awareness that it causes constipation as well as a great deal of discomfort for people with lactose intolerence

sometimes the internal inconsistency keep me up at night or maybe it's because i'm plugged up from all this fukkin cheese lol

I like cheese too. The suffering of humanity in the face of cheese is irrelevant to me. I'm a huge hypocrite when it comes to cheese.

I think we should have camps to force-feed people cheese. It is the only way our civilization will become pure.

cruft

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

interesting counterpoint! yeah I admit it's not like the most well-researched idea in the world. Just was staring at the thread and wrote something that seemed vaguely right to me, but that is definitely an interesting idea I hadn't thought of, how someone's love of weapons might make conflicts more decisive... I guess I still just think weapons in general should be eliminated, but I know that's very idealistic

drat it quit agreeing with each other and start burning.

Do I have to get Angry Fish in here because I will, I'll bring Angry Fish in here to show you idiot slacker potheads how to craft burns.

(PS: That was a burn, try to get worked up and burn me back, we need material here ppl)

joke_explainer

cruft posted:

drat it quit agreeing with each other and start burning.

Do I have to get Angry Fish in here because I will, I'll bring Angry Fish in here to show you idiot slacker potheads how to craft burns.

(PS: That was a burn, try to get worked up and burn me back, we need material here ppl)

Cruft I can't think of anything to say that isn't a two edged blade that just bites me back. Uh... your AV is far too cute to take you seriously?? :nattyburn:

If we needed some cute little cartoon person to tell us what to do we'd just go get WindmillSlayer! :iceburn:

Maybe you should spend this time writing awesome nursey rhymes instead. Your skills as a burn think tank supervisor are clearly lacking. :supaburn:

cruft

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

Cruft I can't think of anything to say that isn't a two edged blade that just bites me back. Uh... your AV is far too cute to take you seriously?? :nattyburn:

If we needed some cute little cartoon person to tell us what to do we'd just go get WindmillSlayer! :iceburn:

Maybe you should spend this time writing awesome nursey rhymes instead. Your skills as a burn think tank supervisor are clearly lacking. :supaburn:

Okay, not bad, let's see here...

You know, for a guy who claims not to like weapons, you sure have a lot of death and killin' machines in your av. Maybe you should stick to shitposting and leave real debating to the pros...

...such as AK and IV8. :xd:

google THIS

cruft posted:

You know, for a guy who claims not to like weapons, you sure have a lot of death and killin' machines in your av. Maybe you should stick to shitposting and leave real debating to the pros...

whoa, man, too far

joke_explainer

cruft posted:

*runs from room crying*

cruft

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

*runs from room crying*

Hey now...

Hey...

I think you're a neat guy Dennis, we're just playing the dozens here to help out or buddy AK. Just roll with it, it's not personal.

FluffieDuckie

this is why yobbers shouldn't play with burns. someone always gets hurt

cruft

FluffieDuckie posted:

this is why yobbers shouldn't play with burns. someone always gets hurt

I thought you were gonna say "someone always gets fired".

heard u like girls

what if u compare guns to cars

heard u like girls

good ones bring yu safely to your location and you dont want suckers to hav one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

cruft posted:

Hey now...

Hey...

I think you're a neat guy Dennis, we're just playing the dozens here to help out or buddy AK. Just roll with it, it's not personal.

I'm okay. I just... wasn't prepare for the average skill level of this competition I guess. I'll do some burn research.

• Locked thread