Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Foles was a flash in the pan. Mark Sanchez will be starting by week 8. The Eagles are doomed to a decade of mediocrity. Chip Kelly is going to Petrino us. Abort. Abort.

oh god I'm almost there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton said WR Tavarres King's "stock is rising."

King wrapped up a reportedly solid week of camp by catching all four of his targets for 50 yards against the Bills Friday night. A fifth-round pick of the Broncos last season, King has the talent to challenge Jason Avant for the No. 3 receiver job. He is a name to watch this preseason.

:getin:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I watched about ten minutes of the Eagles game and there were 10 flags so I left and played video games.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Chichevache posted:

drat. Well if he wasn't in then at least he wasn't loving up. :sigh:

Thanks.

Skov's problem is he is as slow as molasses during a Siberian winter

He ran like a 5.1, that's.... not very good

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The Panthers knew what they were doing this offseason after all.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

A Pale Horse posted:

I watched some parts of the Bucs game after work this morning and holy poo poo is the O-line bad. I expected them to be bad, but not quite this dreadful. It wasn't just the guards either, I still have to go back and watch the first team play by play to determine who was the worst, but my initial reaction is they all were. They couldn't protect McCown at all and they couldn't do anything in the run game. The play that sticks in my mind was an attempted stretch play down the strong side where they couldn't seal the edge, couldn't open holes and in fact got bullied all the way down the LoS until they got pushed into the RB near the sideline resulting in a 1 yard gain. It was laughably dreadful to watch and if they don't figure out a way to improve that its going to be a very long season. I can't believe I'm going to say this but hire Richie Incognito Bucs. He's a huge rear end in a top hat and a bully but he'd be by far the best guard on the roster immediately.

McCown was loving awful as well. 2 sacks, 2 fumbles, one lost, and a pick 6 in just over a quarter of play. Some of that was the fault of the line, to be sure, but not all of it. On the strip sack, he held on to the ball way too long and on the pick six he made a terrible decision, rather than take the sack or throw it away he just casually lobbed it down the field to whoever could grab it. I really would hope a 35 year old QB would have better judgment than that, but its McCown so maybe not. Glennon was passable if not spectacular. He didn't throw a meaningful downfield ball and most of the yards came as YAC due to checkdowns and dumpoffs. He did a good job of avoiding pressure on several plays and stretching the play for some marginal success, which is a nice change from last year where at any hint of pressure he'd go into baby giraffe mode and stumble around like a day old foal(i think its foal for giraffes?) on roller skates. Still he was playing mostly against the 2nd and 3rd team defenses so you'd hope to see some production. The wide receivers couldn't get open (a recurring theme from last year) which forced a lot of those dump offs and check downs and the tight ends were mostly a non factor except for Sefarian-Jenkins having a few nice plays (again though, against the 3rd and 4th team D). The two slight positives were Bobby Rainey and Charles Sims who both had some very nice runs, Sims especially. Overall it was a pretty dismal offensive performance.

The defense looked good though and GMac is right back to where he left off last season. He blew up the first play from scrimmage, tackling the RB for a 5 yard loss and came back two plays later and smashed Henne forcing an incompletion on 3rd down. They also did a nice job of getting their hands up and batted a few balls at the LoS. The LBs did a nice job of closing down run plays and the secondary managed good coverage for most of their time on the field. Bowers looked versatile and competent, blocking a pass after dropping into shallow coverage from the 3-tech position and managed a few pressures even I think. I guess converting him to DT may be the way to go so good on Lovie for spotting that.

I've written too many words about a stupid preseason game now so I'll stop.

Thanks for doing it so I don't have to

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Jimmy Garoppolo has apparently looked like garbage all training camp... then in the preseason game looked great at everything all the time!

:iiam:

Meanwhile Mallett looked exactly as worthless as he has for every moment of his NFL career.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Christian Ponder threw a ball that should have been intercepted by the third/fourth string defense, so he's already in mid-season form. The announcers (which might have been a local radio simul-cast) at least called out that staring down the receiver, hesitating, then throwing a pick six has been his MO in MN.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Dear Marvin Lewis,

Keep Matt Scott, the man has grit and moxie.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

wheez the roux posted:

Start Jeff Tuel.

Also the Seahawks Oline stinks like doodoo water.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

A Pale Horse posted:

I watched some parts of the Bucs game after work this morning and holy poo poo is the O-line bad. I expected them to be bad, but not quite this dreadful. It wasn't just the guards either, I still have to go back and watch the first team play by play to determine who was the worst, but my initial reaction is they all were. They couldn't protect McCown at all and they couldn't do anything in the run game. The play that sticks in my mind was an attempted stretch play down the strong side where they couldn't seal the edge, couldn't open holes and in fact got bullied all the way down the LoS until they got pushed into the RB near the sideline resulting in a 1 yard gain. It was laughably dreadful to watch and if they don't figure out a way to improve that its going to be a very long season. I can't believe I'm going to say this but hire Richie Incognito Bucs. He's a huge rear end in a top hat and a bully but he'd be by far the best guard on the roster immediately.

McCown was loving awful as well. 2 sacks, 2 fumbles, one lost, and a pick 6 in just over a quarter of play. Some of that was the fault of the line, to be sure, but not all of it. On the strip sack, he held on to the ball way too long and on the pick six he made a terrible decision, rather than take the sack or throw it away he just casually lobbed it down the field to whoever could grab it. I really would hope a 35 year old QB would have better judgment than that, but its McCown so maybe not. Glennon was passable if not spectacular. He didn't throw a meaningful downfield ball and most of the yards came as YAC due to checkdowns and dumpoffs. He did a good job of avoiding pressure on several plays and stretching the play for some marginal success, which is a nice change from last year where at any hint of pressure he'd go into baby giraffe mode and stumble around like a day old foal(i think its foal for giraffes?) on roller skates. Still he was playing mostly against the 2nd and 3rd team defenses so you'd hope to see some production. The wide receivers couldn't get open (a recurring theme from last year) which forced a lot of those dump offs and check downs and the tight ends were mostly a non factor except for Sefarian-Jenkins having a few nice plays (again though, against the 3rd and 4th team D). The two slight positives were Bobby Rainey and Charles Sims who both had some very nice runs, Sims especially. Overall it was a pretty dismal offensive performance.

The defense looked good though and GMac is right back to where he left off last season. He blew up the first play from scrimmage, tackling the RB for a 5 yard loss and came back two plays later and smashed Henne forcing an incompletion on 3rd down. They also did a nice job of getting their hands up and batted a few balls at the LoS. The LBs did a nice job of closing down run plays and the secondary managed good coverage for most of their time on the field. Bowers looked versatile and competent, blocking a pass after dropping into shallow coverage from the 3-tech position and managed a few pressures even I think. I guess converting him to DT may be the way to go so good on Lovie for spotting that.

I've written too many words about a stupid preseason game now so I'll stop.

Its so cool Carl Nicks got forced to retire thanks to staph infections.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eifert Posting posted:

This is Matt Scott's world.

Kellen Clemens' passer rating was 158.3

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I got to see Michael Sam make a tackle on a QB, Blake Bortles throw for over 110 yards, and Tyrod Taylor throw a touchdown. Preseason owns.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Is Brandin Cooks considered a starter in New Orleans? Why did he play so deep into last night's game? I was watching his highlights and realized he was burning rookies like Gaines and Joyner. Did he play with the ones too?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Chuck Jacobs tore his ACL on Thursday. It would have been difficult for him to make the roster but that's still tough for him.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Blake Bortles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gabCBhpw5EI

Derek Carr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ybJWL1ezU

Teddy Bridgewater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL-Uuzx_ZYs

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Thank you for finding this.

I'm surprised by how good Bortles looks already. Granted this is a group of second stringers, but he was making pretty good decisions here (in a highlight reel, but I believe he only threw 11 passes total so we aren't missing much.) My only concern would be that his ball placement could use some work. A few of those passes were a bit off or could have been placed in such a way that they would have led the receiver away from the defender a bit, but otherwise I like what I saw. Hopefully he still gets more time to develop on the bench and they can find him some good weapons next season when he really gets a shot.

Go Jags.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Thank you for finding this.

I'm surprised by how good Bortles looks already. Granted this is a group of second stringers, but he was making pretty good decisions here (in a highlight reel, but I believe he only threw 11 passes total so we aren't missing much.) My only concern would be that his ball placement could use some work. A few of those passes were a bit off or could have been placed in such a way that they would have led the receiver away from the defender a bit, but otherwise I like what I saw. Hopefully he still gets more time to develop on the bench and they can find him some good weapons next season when he really gets a shot.

Go Jags.

With their starting QB as Henne, Bortles might be starting by week 6.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Sour Diesel posted:

jags vs cowobys is in london so that'll be the unveiling

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Is Brandin Cooks considered a starter in New Orleans? Why did he play so deep into last night's game? I was watching his highlights and realized he was burning rookies like Gaines and Joyner. Did he play with the ones too?

With the amount of rotating that the saints do at WR it's hard to call anyone outside of Colston a starter. Brandin Cooks is going to see a lot of snaps all over the formation. They are just testing him out and letting him get some game speed practice.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

I can't tell if Carr is overthrowing everyone in order to clear the lines or if he's just releasing too early, but he needs to work on that.

Otherwise, Bortles is gonna be starting sooner rather than later, and Bridgewater is probably not going to start if he keeps this up.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
It's Brandin Cooks' world and we're just living in it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
That was a horrendous angle by the defender more than anything special that Cooks did tbh

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

That was a horrendous angle by the defender more than anything special that Cooks did tbh
True but he still made the play.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The rest of the league really hosed up by letting Cooks fall to the Saints

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sour Diesel posted:

They said they would sit him for the season and I still really hope they do. I don't want him flaming out because I'm really hoping to see the Jags succeed as a team and I'd love for Bortles to be the man who takes them into the promised land.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

They said they would sit him for the season and I still really hope they do. I don't want him flaming out because I'm really hoping to see the Jags succeed as a team and I'd love for Bortles to be the man who takes them into the promised land.

They said the same thing about Gabbert. I guess everything's different in Jacksonville now compared to back then other than the losing, but I won't believe it until I see it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

The rest of the league really hosed up by letting Cooks fall to the Saints

The Panthers really wanted Cooks and I believe they would've taken him, but the Saints grabbed him only a couple picks before. :(

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Glennon looked like a legitimate starter against the Seahawks of all teams last season, it was impressive and I'd start him over McCown based on the wet fart that was his preseason appearance

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Last one, I'm sorry

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

The Panthers really wanted Cooks and I believe they would've taken him, but the Saints grabbed him only a couple picks before. :(

I think gettleman might have still taken Benji tbqh.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chichevache posted:

It's one of those things where even if you do intend to sit him the whole year, that also means you're putting confidence in Henne not breaking in half for 16 full games.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

They said the same thing about Gabbert. I guess everything's different in Jacksonville now compared to back then other than the losing, but I won't believe it until I see it.

Well so far Khan has been real cool about giving his team time to develop properly and being patient with his coach, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Instead of trying to make waves or signing players like Manziel he is attracting fans by upgrading the facilities and making bad rear end pools in his stadium, while letting the actual football people he hired do their jobs in peace.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

Probably. KB is insurance for when Cam decides he's gonna throw high all game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Browns - Lions is a fascinating look at bad football that everyone should watch.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I see Johnny Manziel had almost as good of a game as Matt Scott. :smug:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

D_I posted:

It's Brandin Cooks' world and we're just living in it.

He was playing against 3rd stringers at that point. He didn't, say, clown a great starter and burn him for a 30 yard touchdown catch.

I'm just saying, some rookie WRs did that this week, some did not.

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah, all of the "you can't coach size" comments are a good indication he wasn't looking for a player of Cooks' mold.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Eifert Posting posted:

I see Johnny Manziel had almost as good of a game as Matt Scott. :smug:

I enjoyed watching Manziel bootleg on 4th and 1, have a wide open fullback to pass to for the easy 1st, say gently caress that poo poo, almost not get the first down, and then have some scrub running back fumble on the next play.

Browns are gonna be entertaining drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Scott Tolzien looks much better. Chase Rettig looks like dogshit.

• Locked thread