Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Kaede

Kaede bows low, "I am Tenou Kaede, onmyoji and scholar, at your service." He casts a glance to the other present. There is something familiar about the man, but he cannot place him. It is an unsettling feeling - Kaede is normally quite good with faces. "Captain Sadamune has been kind enough to extend an invitation of employment to me, and I could not pass up the chance to see your Steel Arrow. It is quite the wonder, Lord Kuga."

Figured I'd roll Etiquette to make a good first impression: Station+Etiquette Roll: 6d6u3 3

LizardBeam fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Jyo

(Deal, and as it happens, I have exactly two Kiai with which to make the shift! This will bring me to 90 Karma by intermission, good thing I'll be doing some sublimating at that time.)

Jyo raises an eyebrow as he sees the little girl attempt to brandish a knife at him. "Don't panic, neither the blade on my back, nor on my hip are meant for use on children. And even if they were, you'd never so much as scratch me holding your weapon like that. You're supposed to wield it, not strangle it. Not that my technique was much better at your age..." Jyo trailed off, remembering the days when he held blades as though they might bite him, back before Captain Fujiwara taught him how to use them properly. "A wise man told me, many years ago, that you must respect your weapon. Do not fear it, and do not treat it as a mere tool. It is an extension of your will, so if your will is not resolute, your weapon is as useful as gills on a desert rat."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Lu-si

The oni girl stares at Jyo so hard it's a little shocking her eyes don't fall out of her skull. Still, they're both in the same boat.

"Uh, sure, sure. You just stay over there, and- and I'll stay over here, okay?"

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Yabu

Yabu gave a deep bow to Captain Sadamune as he was introduced. His unfamiliarity with Kaede only served to remind him how exposed this train was. All the security in the world won't do much good if they don't see an assassin coming, a problem that is usually resolved by Yabu personally vetting every guest in attendance. However, there wasn't very much time to perform such thorough research before the event, and the result is his Lord's Lord and the most politically important Kugutsu in decades sitting in the center of a train full of potential assassins.

Take this Kaede person, for example. They've only just met, they're barely even acquaintances, and the young woman is already giving Yabu dirty looks. Normally this only happens in Inns when he's had a little too much to drink. His eyes reflexively drifted downward towards Kaede's chest as she spoke to his lord. Curious, that her voice sounds quite deep for a lady. Very curious, indeed.

He regarded Lord Kuga at last. "My Lord, I would like to begin by inspecting the room you and Autumn Dawn will be staying in, if it pleases you."

He puffed on his pipe, thoughtfully.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Yabu/Kaede
Captain Sadamune bows to Lord Kuga. "Sir Tenou is something of an acquaintance of mine, my lord. I knew his father some years ago. The two of us met on the road, and I felt his talents might be put to good use on the Steel Arrow. I will personally vouch for his skills."

"Very well. Set him to work as you see fit." Lord Kuga nods, then turns to Yabu. "Of course, inspector. If you will follow me."

I'll now offer Mitsuko an Aiki chit to interrupt the scene. Do it in whatever way you see fit.

Jyo/Lu-si
I have nothing to add. Carry on!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Jyo

"Sure, have it your way, kid. Surprised you lasted this long all by yourself with skills like those, though. Must have someone lookin' out for you. Well, whatever, I'm not here to make small talk with orphans." Shrugging, Jyo leaned back on a nearby crate, and took from his belt a small sack. From it, he pulled some dried meat and fruit, which he started quietly munching on. He learned early that going into a fight hungry was a good way to get an even emptier stomach, by way of a hole being blown through it, and while Jyo could probably afford at least a little fresh food, the dried fare reminded him of his old trail rations, and were something of a comfort food for him. Occasionally, he'd look over at the little girl, though it appeared more that he was watching her for sudden moves than out of any sort of concern. She looked harmless enough, but you can't be too careful.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Lu-si

Lu-si keeps a wary eye on her fellow traveler for a while, but as the train starts to move, her attention eventually starts to drift. She casts around the cargo car, looking for something small and valuable.

Angling Dragon
Nov 15, 2012
Mitsuko

Mitsuko returns from her patrol of the passenger cars just as the two men turn to leave. At least, she'd told herself it was a patrol, but with Sadamune's security detail as tight as it was, the trip had been mainly a distraction for her own benefit. She'd caught herself drifting off more and more lately; not because her recent work was exhausting, but the world had been frank the past few months about how little it needed her talents. Even so, a member of the Konoe family couldn’t show such a lack of discipline in front of the regent lord himself.

“All is as it should be among the passengers, my Lord.” Mitsuko declares, forming a salute. Casting a sideways glance at Sadamune she continues, “As always, Captain, your work is impeccable.” She'd honestly hoped to find even a minor flaw, and her voice betrays hints of that dashed hope.

“Oh, forgive me.” she says, noticing two unexpected faces. “I'm Konoe Mitsuko, Yasushi envoy for our Lord's grand peace mission. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.”

Chit happily taken.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Lord Kuga nods to Mitsuko. "Very good. But stay wary; I do not believe this journey will be a quiet one." He turns back to Yabu. "Let us go." Sadamune, for his part, either ignores or fails to notice Mitsuko's tone. It's probably for the best.

Matrices: Mitsuko -> Yabu, Yabu -> Mitsuko, Mitsuko -> Kaede, Kaede -> Mitsuko:
2#1d6 5 3
2#1d6 3 5
2#1d6 4 3
2#1d6 5 2

Mitsuko -> Yabu: 53 - Shock. I'll offer you a chit to move that to 52 - Master.

Yabu -> Mitsuko: 35 - Rival. I'll offer you a chit to move that to 36 - Companionship.

Mitsuko -> Kaede: 43 - Love at First Sight. That would be hilarious, but I'd rather offer you 2 chits to move that to 41 - Purity/Innocence.

Kaede -> Mitsuko: 52 - Master. I'll offer one chit to change that, since 53 - Shock seems more appropriate.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Kaede

Kaede bows to the young lady, "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lady Konoe. I am Tenou Kaede." He does not focus overmuch on her obvious prosthetics and enhancements. It is sad, he thinks, that one so young has seen the sort of tragedy and violence that would require them, but it seems that is her station, and judging by her bearing, she has embraced it. "If you ever have need of an engineer, scholar, doctor or merely polite conversation, please find me. I am at your service." He smiles, warmly and genuinely. Despite her appearance, he is certain Konoe Mitsuko is a good person.

Take that chit, then spend a kiai to move it to Goodwill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angling Dragon
Nov 15, 2012
Mitsuko

Mitsuko takes the time to examine the two very different people in Lord Kuga's service. The elderly gentleman strikes her as a warrior who, despite his advanced age, had martial skills above her own in many ways. He had a way of carrying himself similar in presence to Sadamune, but whereas the captain held his secrets close to home, the older man had an air of openness about him. There was a lot to learn for anyone observant enough, and she'd be sure to grasp whatever she could as she clung tenuously to the hope of returning to her former position.

The young... woman, on the other hand, had struck a chord with Mitsuko. She'd been the first person in what seemed like years to genuinely look past her mechanica without hesitation. It reminded her that only months ago, citizens had held her in similar regard as she marched out to fight on their behalf. In revoking her command, her father had taken her and the sword on her back off speaking terms. But she had two more blades about her, and would be sure to raise them in Tenou Kaede's defense if possible. Her unwavering kindness was owed that at least.

A little torn on Love At First Sight, but I'll take all three chits.

• Locked thread