Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

abagofcheetos posted:

Everything said is more than likely true (I'm no Amazonologist), but that doesn't mean they are a wildly profitable company. They are doing these things and still barely breaking even.

Growth rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Heran Bago posted:

Also hitbox.tv is new to me. In what ways is it better or worse?

It doesn't have Twitch's longass built-in stream delay, for one big point.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

also the book publisher thing going on atm

What?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Google evidently had anti-trust concerns which prevented them from closing the deal. And Amazon buying Twitch is a little odd, but not really. They're making a big push into people's homes outside of simply selling them poo poo; Fire TV, Kindle Fire, and the Fire phone are all things that are just waiting for more content made by Amazon, not just sold through Amazon.

And licensing issues aren't that big of a deal right now. The biggest open issue is the music streamers play, which most times is simply done without any sort of permission. Hence the crazy mismanaged Twitch VOD debacle a little while back, and I'm sure there are more restrictions on music coming down the pike. But in terms of streaming the actual game, most games now either have EULA terms expressly allowing for monetized streaming, or Twitch has worked out agreements with IP holders, like they did with Riot Games. Those terms may change since Amazon's involved now, but frankly, you would have to be a pretty dumb game company to piss off people giving you free advertising. Look at the YouTube ContentID mess last year; the game companies were falling over themselves to point out it wasn't them, and that they're perfectly okay with people making money off of adviews for LPs and poo poo.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Amazon's been putting the screws to authors of specific publishers, marking their books as out of stock, recommending similar works by different authors, and cute stunts like that, in an attempt to strongarm the publishers into lowering prices for them. They've been trying the same thing with Disney, of all outfits, refusing to sell pre-orders for discs of popular movies.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The last time that Amazon gave into publisher demands, we got the agency model, which was good for absolutely no one and took several years to get rid of. Somehow I trust Amazon and their methods more than publishers who have seen to be kicking and screaming into new distribution methods.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what were/are the fears related to google or amazon buying twitch? I'm not very up to date on the usual evil corporations lately.

Twitch has already been loving up pretty bad on its own recently with the licensed music thing.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

If Google bought Twitch I fully expected them to dissolve it and move everyone to Youtube or further integrate Google+, so Amazon buying them is a rare moment where I can say a corporate buyout was not the worst thing (in general though I consider corporate buyouts to be the worst thing)

Bezos already said he plans to integrated the twitch-casting with the kindle ecosystem much like the purchase of ComicXology. Great if you want to cross-sell or stat-track what kind of products best sell to those who can't afford a video game, but like watching people play video games (the fastest growing gaming demographic with over 18million daily unique ID's watching Twitch streams and growing). But bad for those who now will double or triple click once every few min, or need to sign up for an Amazon account to watch their DOTA tutorials.

TLDR: Accretive to Bezos' negative corporate margins and poo poo poor earnings. Don't expect any new content or quality improvements to Twitch for the next 10 years, until the next big thing rolls out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Twitch isn't a media production platform like that, though. That's like saying Amazon sells books, therefore they should buy Twitter.
I think it was a pretty accurate comparison. Amazon is probably being a little forward thinking, but Youtube personalities and things like Yogscast are replacing traditional television for certain demographics, and acquiring Twitch gives Amazon this additional branch of entertainment content that Hulu and Netflix don't have and likely won't be able to get. It's like the reasoning behind the conception of reality TV-- it's cheaper than producing scripted television and a lot of people watch it (in collected volume). And that's in addition to the various events that Twitch is an official partner of, such as E3, EVO, PAX, eSports (lol), etc.

That doesn't mean it's good for consumers or for Twitch producers, as I expect copyright policy to get even more strict. But I understand the possible reasons for making this acquisition.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Work at Amazon, collect your pay. If Google attacks, the Amazon Army will protect you.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Gestalt Intellect posted:

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what were/are the fears related to google or amazon buying twitch? I'm not very up to date on the usual evil corporations lately.

Twitch has already been loving up pretty bad on its own recently with the licensed music thing.
Already mentioned in this thread, but the big concerns I saw were ContentID (which Twitch basically did on their own, badly) and Google+ (which Google has been downplaying recently).

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think it was a pretty accurate comparison. Amazon is probably being a little forward thinking, but Youtube personalities and things like Yogscast are replacing traditional television for certain demographics, and acquiring Twitch gives Amazon this additional branch of entertainment content that Hulu and Netflix don't have and likely won't be able to get. It's like the reasoning behind the conception of reality TV-- it's cheaper than producing scripted television and a lot of people watch it (in collected volume). And that's in addition to the various events that Twitch is an official partner of, such as E3, EVO, PAX, eSports (lol), etc.

That doesn't mean it's good for consumers or for Twitch producers, as I expect copyright policy to get even more strict. But I understand the possible reasons for making this acquisition.
This is really what I was getting at: Twitch and YouTube serve a similar entertainment purpose to television. Amazon has been investing in their streaming video platform to show TV and movies, so adding Twitch to that gives them more content that goes with their existing content. I'm sure they can figure out some way to monetize it if they really want to, but they're not buying Twitch as a revenue stream; they're buying it to augment their existing streaming video platform and attract more users to it.

I think there are a bunch of nerds who only think of major-tech-company acquisitions in terms of "how is this acquisition going to directly pay off in profit", which is not always how those companies think of these acquisitions. Sometimes the technology gets integrated into something else. Sometimes they're just trying to hire someone really smart who works there. Sometimes it's just to outbid a competitor and they don't have anything terribly interesting planned for it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
When they inevitably attach "buy this game on amazon!" links to everything it'll be interesting to see statistics for how many people actually follow them for relevant games.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Original_Z posted:

The last time that Amazon gave into publisher demands, we got the agency model, which was good for absolutely no one and took several years to get rid of. Somehow I trust Amazon and their methods more than publishers who have seen to be kicking and screaming into new distribution methods.
Apple was the one behind the agency model. The US Justice Department went after the anti-competitive publishers that conspired with Apple to fix prices. I wish Amazon could do the same thing for gaming and videos that they did for ebooks. There is no good reason for digital versions to be the same price or more expensive than physical copies.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

reignonyourparade posted:

When they inevitably attach "buy this game on amazon!" links to everything it'll be interesting to see statistics for how many people actually follow them for relevant games.

Ohhh, poo poo. Bet your rear end they'll have One-Click links-- wait, multiple platforms, nevermind. I wonder what kind of metrics they'll be able to squeeze out of viewers, though.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This seems like a good thing to me. No Google+, and Amazon has a shitload of servers Twitch can use.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

grrarg posted:

Apple was the one behind the agency model. The US Justice Department went after the anti-competitive publishers that conspired with Apple to fix prices. I wish Amazon could do the same thing for gaming and videos that they did for ebooks. There is no good reason for digital versions to be the same price or more expensive than physical copies.

Yeah, and there was a slap fight between Amazon and a major book publisher at that time to fight the agency model, Amazon didn't stock their books for a short time but eventually gave in and we were stuck with the model for several years. This time they're sticking to their guns and not giving into publisher demands. History is definitely on Amazon doing the right thing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hal_2005 posted:

TLDR: Accretive to Bezos' negative corporate margins and poo poo poor earnings. Don't expect any new content or quality improvements to Twitch for the next 10 years, until the next big thing rolls out.

Based on the improvements Google foists on an unsuspecting user base seemingly at random, good. The platform works as it is right now, it doesn't need a facelift or innovation for innovation's sake.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

grrarg posted:

I don't think Amazon can flex that kind of muscle with multiple digital delivery services competing with them.

Traditional book publishers, on the other hand, lost a lot of business when they failed to adapt to digital distribution. Amazon is merciful for only controlling the digital sales.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I mean, Amazon buying up extremely lucrative mindspace in the whole, "males ages 12-30," that's kind of a big deal. Also Twitch has a large international presence that Amazon seriously lacks.

Seriously, hooking these guys in now at this age, when purchasing habits are being established and brand identification is still ongoing, you guys are seriously missing the forest for the trees here. Today's shiftless idiot nerdchild is a middle-aged homeowner in 20 years, and OF COURSE he's going to have loyalty to the major brands that drive his stupid hobbies.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
It's good news for the people at twitch who made money out of it but I can guarantee you there's a limited amount of time before it just gets absorbed into the amazon monolith site or at least tied to your amazon account somehow. Amazon is run by a psychopath and working there is hell.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mr Cuddles posted:

It's good news for the people at twitch who made money out of it but I can guarantee you there's a limited amount of time before it just gets absorbed into the amazon monolith site or at least tied to your amazon account somehow. Amazon is run by a psychopath and working there is hell.

Not really sure why you think Amazon owning Twitch is going to cause massive changes. There are several examples now of what happens to companies Amazon picks up (GoodReads, Zappos, IMDB, Woot, Audible, and Comixology) and of those only Audible has seen drastic changes. I guess you could include Comixology disabling iOS on device purchases as well.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 26, 2014

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, all I've seen changed with Goodreads is that there are now Amazon links everywhere... which is the most obvious and least intrusive thing they could do. And even then they still give you a link to buy a book at other bookstores (even WorldCat) next to the Amazon link.

As long as Twitch itself generates enough money to pay its own way (which I am sure it does), I think/hope Amazon won't touch it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

.Z. posted:

Not really sure why you think Amazon owning Twitch is going to cause massive changes. There are several examples now of what happens to companies Amazon picks up (GoodReads, Zappos, IMDB, Woot, Audible, and Comixology) and of those only Audible has seen drastic changes. I guess you could include Comixology disabling iOS on device purchases as well.

I used to work for a company that got bought by amazon and it was horrible.

• Locked thread