Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
you can't really do this in doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

it has comments about the assembly itself, but i don't know how it helps at all to explain explain what this actually does

"watch out with ebx - it's passed" okay thanks

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
holy ken wrote Ken's Labyrinth

his site is still up linked from that assembly file http://www.advsys.net/ken/build.htm

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

quote:

Requires DS: to be written out for self-modifying code to work

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

peepsalot posted:

quake 2 best quake

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

quake live changes

quote:

New Quake Live Ruleset

Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
Players may now hold forward and jump to 'bunny hop', allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
Introduced Loadouts in select modes; allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (sg, gl, pg, mg).
Added the command "weapon toggle" to toggle between your Primary and Secondary weapons. Defaults to "f" for new users.
Unified weapon respawn time to 5 seconds across all game modes.
Unified friendly fire, disabled across all game modes.
Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.
Reduced ammo respawn time from 40 seconds to 10 seconds.
Added in-world item timers for "major" items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit.
Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
Added Power-up Spawn POIs, that appear 10 seconds before a power-up spawns.
Added Power-up POIs, that indicate when an available power-up is available in the arena.

lmao

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
quake live is still a thing? obv not anymore since they're nerfing it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Apocadall posted:

wasn't there a yospos quake or doom thing last year? i remember that being a thing

yeah oval office and paste hosted a yospos doom deathmatch server. it was pretty rad.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx6abqKlGuU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
yeah but wheres all the data?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
tom has it

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crusader_complex posted:

anyone ever get one of those CD compilations of 9999 WADs?

9999 = about 5 good wads
master levels for doom ii and final doom should have been the only wad cds you needed. then d/l a bunch off doomworld or wherever and try and find a few that weren't really lovely

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
quake live can be p. fun

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
[colin mochrie voice] six hundred MAP01 edits on three CDs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doom.wad was the king though. without it all you had was doom.exe. which fit on one 1.44"

doom2 was what 32mb? that was a hefty game in those days. i remember talking at length about using zip span disks and i was jealous coz my amiga didnt seem to be able to do that with the built in tools and zip on amiga was underwhelming

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

doom.wad was the king though. without it all you had was doom.exe. which fit on one 1.44"

doom2 was what 32mb? that was a hefty game in those days. i remember talking at length about using zip span disks and i was jealous coz my amiga didnt seem to be able to do that with the built in tools and zip on amiga was underwhelming

lha -Va df0:doom.lha dh0:games/doom/#?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

doom2.wad is just under 14MB, which was still hefty back then since a lot of people were probably still chugging along with pretty small hard drives.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think wing commander 2 was around the same size, which was considered really big back in 1991.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i remember it was outrageous to download 4 1.44mb files from a bbs for the shareware version of doom

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

ken silverman is a loving god

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Egan Yardley posted:

ken silverman is a loving god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSVzn0F3pyQ

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

17? jesus

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol he's not even 40 yet. you'd imagine him as some sort of elder greybeard but nope

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

he got his first computer for his bar-mitzvah at 13 and had his first commerical game done and ready to be published at 17. dude is a fuckin legend

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

pro fuckin click

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
yeah that is phenomenal and i wish he'd get more praise for it like the two johns. one thing that is really odd is that carmack seemed to have been really nice to him to give him info on making a better doom-like engine, but sandy peterson reviewed ken's lab and gave it 2/5 stars

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
haha i think i just abbreviated it as ken's lab from muscle memory

c:\> cd\kenslab
c:\> kenslab

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

daft punk railroad posted:

[colin mochrie voice] six hundred MAP01 edits on three CDs

lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ken slab

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

yeah that is phenomenal and i wish he'd get more praise for it like the two johns. one thing that is really odd is that carmack seemed to have been really nice to him to give him info on making a better doom-like engine, but sandy peterson reviewed ken's lab and gave it 2/5 stars

well he was probably reviewing the game, not the engine.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i played the crap out of kens labyrinth when it came out

i didnt realize until years after duke3d came out that it was the same ken silverman

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well he was probably reviewing the game, not the engine.

well definitely. ken's lab wasn't the same game ken got advice from carmack though. i know it's good to have honest reviews, but it's strange to me it would be made by someone from the doom (and wolfenstein?) team and i'm pretty sure the game isn't that bad. in comparison to wolfenstein, it is much more sophisticated but i'd have to make sure by playing it again to see if the gameplay is good. from what i remember though, it was

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Sappy Fingers posted:

paging linguica
Ive been getting back into Doom lately

Well not playing so much, more loving with the source code and reading poo poo

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

well definitely. ken's lab wasn't the same game ken got advice from carmack though. i know it's good to have honest reviews, but it's strange to me it would be made by someone from the doom (and wolfenstein?) team and i'm pretty sure the game isn't that bad. in comparison to wolfenstein, it is much more sophisticated but i'd have to make sure by playing it again to see if the gameplay is good. from what i remember though, it was

he didn't join id until doom was almost done and just to make maps, he most likely reviewed ken's labyrinth before any of that

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Lime posted:

he didn't join id until doom was almost done and just to make maps, he most likely reviewed ken's labyrinth before any of that

hmm i'll consider this point ty

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

it does make sense that someone seeking work at one specific videogame company would have previously trashed what he probably saw as a knockoff of the company's most recent title

gamer life

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Apocadall posted:

wasn't there a yospos quake or doom thing last year? i remember that being a thing

hell yeah, and i want to start DOOM back up again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbj4yX1Dzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wy2I5XslmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg0Ob72lz4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrJfiFWF_nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZJLBfgGfdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-12nBNSSUv4

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah oval office and paste hosted a yospos doom deathmatch server. it was pretty rad.

hoooolleeyeyy SHHIIITTTTTTT

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

pagancow posted:

hell yeah, and i want to start DOOM back up again:

YES DO IT

i didn't even know this was a thing or maybe when i saw it i didn't have time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

got finish a few projects. see you maybe in november?

• Locked thread