Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I always keep a plastic container full of disposable iPads in every bathroom. I can't wait until they come out with the flushable versions so I can start doing my part for the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

pros: it's good for reading comics

cons: it makes beating off a hassle when you have to use a hand to hold it up. I don't like multitasking while beating off.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

THS posted:

try a windows phone it owns

unironically this

(unless you need to have a ton of apps, wp always get sloppy thirds)

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Grant DaNasty posted:

pros: it's good for reading comics

also books, but who gives a poo poo about that

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
I put my Ipad on with some videos or stream or something when I go to sleep on my bed, it's like sleep aid.

Otherwise I do not use it very much. Got them as gifts though

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

LifeSizePotato posted:

unironically this

(unless you need to have a ton of apps, wp always get sloppy thirds)

i was being unironic too windows phone owns

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

Lichy posted:

im not really sure the miniscule difference in electricity consumption justifies the large supply chain required to construct an ipad especially in light of the restrictions on what you can do mentioned

also foxconn

i have a keyboard case on my nexus 7, so i painlessly do spreadsheets and word documents on it. photoshop touch also sounds like a pretty pointless thing, but it's actually great for getting projects going while you're in a taxi or waiting for a bus, especially if you have one of those two-sided stylus/pen things.

in all honesty though, now's a bad time to buy a tablet if you're in the market for one. they still need better battery and screen technology because they could totally use less power if companies tried a little harder

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

THS posted:

i was being unironic too windows phone owns

what makes it better than an iphone apart from cost

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Lichy posted:

what makes it better than an iphone apart from cost

really good interface, minimalist design and the nokia phones have bomb rear end zeiss lenses

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

live tiles

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

if you have some crazy fukkin obscure apps you cant live without then yea windows phone gets the shaft but if you use it for making calls, organizing contacts, doin txts and emails, photos and gps its The poo poo

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Wolfman Nards posted:

i have a keyboard case on my nexus 7, so i painlessly do spreadsheets and word documents on it. photoshop touch also sounds like a pretty pointless thing, but it's actually great for getting projects going while you're in a taxi or waiting for a bus, especially if you have one of those two-sided stylus/pen things.

in all honesty though, now's a bad time to buy a tablet if you're in the market for one. they still need better battery and screen technology because they could totally use less power if companies tried a little harder

yeah but the problem with that is that you have to buy keyboards and styluses etc and those things cost a lot of dosh if you're buying them for an apple product

so it might just be more cost effective to buy a small laptop

i don't mind the nexus tbh im only complaining about how useless and expensive ipads are

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Lichy posted:

several hundred pound devices

lol are they uranium ipads or what

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
I used it during my iPeriod

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Lichy posted:

actually i suppose if you were to somehow demolish the ipad it would be pretty useful

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-reasons-why-the-ubuntu-phone-should-be-your-next-mobile-device/

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
wake up sheeple and get one of these:::::::

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

2015 will be the year of linux on the smartphone, mark my words

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i tried ubuntu once but then it got stuck on a perpetual update loop that i didnt know how to fix because im not a code monkey

never again

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
Life changing, wish I could give Apple more money for things like iCloud.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i just watched a video about ubuntu phone out of morbid curiosity and it looks pretty bad and annoying to use

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
Listen, sometimes you just can't use your computer or phone. You need an in-between. Not too big, not too small. Something of the correct size.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

a starwar betamax posted:

wake up sheeple and get one of these:::::::

A phone that's as big as a man! What sorcery is this :mad:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Quellar posted:

Listen, sometimes you just can't use your computer or phone. You need an in-between. Not too big, not too small. Something of the correct size.

yeah ipads are perfect for the shitter op, hth

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
iPads are great if you need a busy box for your baby. If you want a tablet that actually does something, buy a Kindle Fire HD.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
serioustl tho, what makes an apple i pad better than other nice tablets?

naem
May 29, 2011

LifeSizePotato posted:

with the larger iphones coming out, i think people will land on phablets as their non-laptop devices

Def looking forward to a larger retina-display phone since I use my 4s more than my iPad now.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

if u own an android tablet u probably havent had sex, so theres that

naem
May 29, 2011

Art goons- any word on these?

http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/CintiqCompanion/en/

If its as good as a laptop with a wacom tablet I'd be pretty stoked about this

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

lol at people pretending like they do work on their tablets

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

naem posted:

have you looked at the surface pro 3? if you can get past "lol microsoft" it's a very good product with excellent pen input

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

BKPR posted:

lol at people pretending like they do work on their tablets

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
It's really nice for just browsing the internet and youtube and stuff. Pretty good games if you know where to look. I can't imagine doing any major work on it though. You'd need a wireless keyboard, at least.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

naem posted:

For what it'll cost, not worth it. Right now, it won't be as good as a dedicated tablet, nor will the software run as nicely as on an ok laptop.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

You can do artistic stuff like plan a ballet or write a symphony or jack off your penis or film a kabuki play. It's all in the commercial "what will ur verse be?"

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
theres 0 reason to own a tablet and never was. for browsing on the can or in bed a good smartphone will do just as well without being huge, for seriously working a laptop is p much required and for reading books a dedicated ereader for like 100 bucks is a hundred times more pleasant to read on and has amazing battery life

theres no niche for ipads besides idiots wasting money

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

iOS has far better integration with OS X in terms of things like networked IPC than android, it's good for music and MIDI control cuz the libraries are part of the os

also the screen is really pretty

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

glad people buy ipads becasuse it means i get to see people holding them up at concerts taking pictures

or like waggling them around doing the iphone lighter thing

also my fran has an ipad and he brings it around everywhere like you would with a phone. only it obviously doesn't fit in his pocket so he just literally carries it like a shmuck

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my ipad was an ok christmas gift i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

DicktheCat posted:

For what it'll cost, not worth it. Right now, it won't be as good as a dedicated tablet, nor will the software run as nicely as on an ok laptop.

I was really really excited about the idea like a year ago. Looking forward to wacom tablet quality on a quality laptop. I guess. Actually my career went off in a random direction and won't need this ever hmm

• Locked thread