Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I propose every game have roguelike elements from now on.

Racing games with randomly generated tracks.
Farming simulators with randomly generated crops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Why not, we need something to flush out all the RPG elements

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Daynab posted:

I propose every game have roguelike elements from now on.

Racing games with randomly generated tracks.
Farming simulators with randomly generated crops.

Gimbal lock posted:

Shooter games with randomly generated guns!

wait....

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

a new 50 cent game with randomly generated swears

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Risk of Rain is pretty loving legit, and fun, and the "roguelike" mechanics are so paper thin it just adds to the actual game

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

pfft. roguelike mechanics are so last year. now it's all about first person puzzlers and half ironic simulators.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gimbal lock posted:

Roguelikes have RPG elements

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ftl is the best roguelike ever made. also some people can beat it on hard and without pausing every time so p much every run is viable if you play it right

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

babypolis posted:

ftl is the best roguelike ever made. also some people can beat it on hard and without pausing every time so p much every run is viable if you play it right

I can't loving beat ftl and I don't know why (except me being bad at games obv) I can get to the end boss like 75% of the time but I end up dying in phase 2 or 3.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I think the best roguelike ever made is SlashEM

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Daynab posted:

I can't loving beat ftl and I don't know why (except me being bad at games obv) I can get to the end boss like 75% of the time but I end up dying in phase 2 or 3.

are you maximizing the time spend in each sector? the game does a bad job of explaining that the real goal of the game is to grind as much stuff as possible in the time given so you can beat the final boss

some other tips for the final boss:
-get a teleporter and a boarding party so you can kill the triple missile asap
-hacking is really really good agaisnt every stage of the flagship
-if you wanna use missiles be sure to get swarm or something else that spams lots of them so the second phase doesnt wreck you

if everything else fails you can just unlock the fed cruiser and focus heavily on defense (max shields, defense drones) thats basically a guarateed win

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah I generally try to grind out as much as I can.
I haven't really played much since the expansion came out so I haven't tried out the hacking, but it generally ends up that I rarely have anything that can beat 4 shields and when I do, whichever phase is the drone phase just kills me.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Having a crew teleporter makes the flagship fight a lot easier

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Rogue Legacy is massive AIDS>

fag boy jim

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
complaining about all the games with roguelike elements like it isn't overwhelmingly a positive thing and there aren't literal dozens of good games using said mechanics

Also "Roguelike" is just shorthand for retards who can't say "Procedurally Generated Content" without a pronunciation guide. Complaining that it's "not really like Rogue at all!" makes you a drat idiot.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mach2 posted:

complaining about all the games with roguelike elements like it isn't overwhelmingly a positive thing and there aren't literal dozens of good games using said mechanics

Also "Roguelike" is just shorthand for retards who can't say "Procedurally Generated Content" without a pronunciation guide. Complaining that it's "not really like Rogue at all!" makes you a drat idiot.

procedural content is usally trash though. i think the whole design element of "anything the enemy can do to you you can do to them" is more important to roguelikes

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mach2 posted:

if you think im gonna type 'procedurally generated content' that many times then your fuckin nuts

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Because the majority of people who play and make games are loving stupid and every mechanic that can possibly result in fun will inevitably be copied by a multitude of lazy games in lovely ways. Roguelikes can be fun and often make for hilarious internet stories, therefore more people will get into them as time goes on, therefore more stupid people will become familiar with surface-level design tropes, and therefore more of those will be terribly co-opted into a trash game for idiot scum. On the plus side, more people are making games and expressing themselves with them, and that's awesome. On the downside, more goddamn retards will fill the earth with their wretched spawn, false gamers gaming for the sake of trends, more painted masterpieces for a billion monkeys to study before they fling poo poo on a canvas and call it art. Instead of Steam, I like to call it Shart, because that's what it's full of. I look up from the table and meet your eyes - another natural 20 for me, my friend. What can you say to that, you loving fakes??

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Dexters Secret posted:

if you think im gonna type 'procedurally generated content' that many times then your fuckin nuts

How about 'procedural death labyrinth'

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I like Risk of Rain, it's kind of Rogue-like-ish.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Cobweb Heart posted:

Because the majority of people who play and make games are loving stupid and every mechanic that can possibly result in fun will inevitably be copied by a multitude of lazy games in lovely ways. Roguelikes can be fun and often make for hilarious internet stories, therefore more people will get into them as time goes on, therefore more stupid people will become familiar with surface-level design tropes, and therefore more of those will be terribly co-opted into a trash game for idiot scum. On the plus side, more people are making games and expressing themselves with them, and that's awesome. On the downside, more goddamn retards will fill the earth with their wretched spawn, false gamers gaming for the sake of trends, more painted masterpieces for a billion monkeys to study before they fling poo poo on a canvas and call it art. Instead of Steam, I like to call it Shart, because that's what it's full of. I look up from the table and meet your eyes - another natural 20 for me, my friend. What can you say to that, you loving fakes??

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Also random generation is hard and takes a lot of time to put in, let alone make interesting and pleasant. So the things you end up seeing will be from either an actually good programmer or the most stubborn and persistent of retards.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Skifree, the ultimate roguelike

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Is it fascism yet posted:

U should play crawl, all the other games mentioned will give you AIDS, OP.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Sil is good too. And uh the other one.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

OP, please play DOOM, the roguelike or DooMRL. Here's why.

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

-It's one of the most accessible roguelikes around, due to being pretty short and also being pretty much DOOM.
-There's an emphasis on ranged gunplay and reloading that feels really good.
-All the DOOM enemies and guns are here, as well as some new custom guns that you can create.
-DOOM sound effects and music make the game atmospheric, even when playing in the console. The tiles are good too.
-While a lot of the game is randomly generated, there are tons of well designed pre-set stages as well.
-Stat tracking and almost 200 achievement medals.
-5 difficulty modes, just like DOOM.
-3 classes and a very robust perk system let you decide what gun you want to kill hell with.
-Very good wiki.
-Tons and tons of challenge modes for when you get good.
-And when you beat those, you can download player made mods.

It's loving awesome OP.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Cobweb Heart posted:

Yeah that's basically it. Also roguelikes have a good reputation for hardcore + good design so devs latch on it for marketing/bandwagon reasons.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Dexters Secret posted:

My point wasn't that people should stop saying roguelike, and in fact was the exact opposite. People should stop insisting roguelike means anything more than "a game with randomly/procedurally generated content and no/minimal permanent progression"

Also, Spelunky is good

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
If all that's required to be called a roguelike is procedural content, I guess Spore is a roguelike.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

don't forget the permadeath

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Gimbal lock posted:

If all that's required to be called a roguelike is procedural content, I guess Spore is a roguelike.

Mach2 posted:

and no/minimal permanent progression

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Pure roguelikes are a really good genre actually and it's a shame they aren't done as really polished, full sized games more often instead of lightweight indie garbage or uninviting cludgy old ASCII stuff.

They need to make more Shiren the Wanderer games basically.

It sucks that nintendo pulled the plug on the DS online stuff because rescuing idiots who starved to death was pretty rad

Dec 26, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Sil is good too. And uh the other one.

brogue

Dec 26, 2012

Complexcalibur posted:

"I want to make a game but level design is hard"

its this + from a game design perspective randomization prevents level memorization being a major factor rather than skill and every other indie designer is a game design nerd so

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

EightFlyingCars posted:

It sucks that nintendo pulled the plug on the DS online stuff because rescuing idiots who starved to death was pretty rad

you can still do this with passwords I think.

Speaking of which I died like an idiot several months ago and had a kickass sword at the time. I haven't played since because I don't want to lose it, can someone rescue my dumb rear end?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

'indie devs' are an incestuous group of pretentious assholes who infest terrible websites like gamasutra or indiedb, it's absolutely no surprise that they constantly produce games from the exact same design principles because they're a gestalt circlejerk of horrible ideas percolating in their disgusting subreddits awaiting the next "jam". currently that's roguelikes

actual indie devs are freaks like toady or otaku like pixel and dev whatever they want, and gently caress you if you don't like it

Bleu fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 26, 2014

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

nuclear throne is a roguelike I guess, go play it

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Just because a lot of games that are "roguelike" are bad doesn't make them all bad.

also it's become a pretty loose term now anyway.

DCSS is fun until you get banished to the Abyss because you thought you could walk into a new room

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
DoomRL is p much the best oldschool RL nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

you can still do this with passwords I think.

Speaking of which I died like an idiot several months ago and had a kickass sword at the time. I haven't played since because I don't want to lose it, can someone rescue my dumb rear end?

Woah seriously? You can do that? Cool.

If it works I'll get back to you this weekend or something

• Locked thread