Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Is there a reason you didn't show the Yacht Club Games logo hidden above the statues in the screen to the left of the start, or did you not know about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You are leaving behind far too much treasure. Rated 1.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ometeotl posted:

You are leaving behind far too much treasure. Rated 1.

Seeing as it's Shovel Knight's currency we'll get a GOLD rating no matter what, though. :smugbert:

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
One wonderful trick with the Phase Locket is that it can be used again before it wears off to reset the timer. Given enough magic, it's easily one of the best ways to do a no-damage run of a level: just use the Locket over and over while duking it out with the boss.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
I think my favorite random detail in this game is that literally every single boss character and unique NPC has a different sound when their text scrolls. The attention to little stuff like that always charms the heck out of me. :3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

I think my favorite random detail in this game is that literally every single boss character and unique NPC has a different sound when their text scrolls. The attention to little stuff like that always charms the heck out of me. :3:
In a similar vein, I love the way text can shimmy and quiver in a couple different ways to emphasize words. Stuff like that brings me back to old-school Dragon Quest.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
While the LP didn't convince me to get the game, it certainly isn't unwelcome. I was planning on playing along with the LP but then I got a little ahead... then a lot ahead... now I'm almost done the game.

One thing I have to say is that it has some FANTASTIC level design. Definitely in the vein of old games where it teaches you early with a simple version of a complicated thing that comes later. Very Mega Man-esque.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Oh this game is an excellent one.

The Troupple King kind of reminds me of two characters from Link's Awakening: Manbo the Sunfish, who teaches you Manbo's Mambo, which warps you to his pond, and Crazy Tracey, a witch who gives you healing potions, whose house is conveniently right next to Manbo's pond.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zuzie posted:

Oh this game is an excellent one.

The Troupple King kind of reminds me of two characters from Link's Awakening: Manbo the Sunfish, who teaches you Manbo's Mambo, which warps you to his pond, and Crazy Tracey, a witch who gives you healing potions, whose house is conveniently right next to Manbo's pond.

Oh god, that was the first Zelda game I beat so I have a soft spot for it. I never did work out what made Tracey so crazy.

As for the Shovelry, I'm glad I picked it up when it hit Steam. My top deaths were from a sudden complete loss of timing skills in one of the final levels. I KNEW the pattern, but I kept finding myself stupidly dying to the same thing over and over and saying "Why did I do that?"

Also yes, King Knight was surprisingly easy. While Specter Knight my impatience made them probably one of the hardest bosses in the game for me.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I can see why people dig this game. But Jesus do you have to shovel all this crap down our throats? You're pretty much trenched into your love for this game you can't how much bias you have for this game. It's in spades! ... Knight pun.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This LP got me to finally go and try out New Game Plus, which is seriously brutal at parts. I'm at the penultimate level and seriously not looking forward to the boss, the level before was brutal enough. The levels that are the hardest are actually ones that you wouldn't expect, funnily enough.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ng+ is nice since it's actually somewhat difficult. Probably the most fun I've had with this game was use one of the cheat codes to do a fresh ng+ run. Made using the relics not overpowered as gently caress.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've had this game on Wii U for months and I just got that the Troupple King is a portmantaeu of trout and apple.

Trout Apple King. I'm smart. :downs: That also means I was pronouncing his name wrong.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I've had this game on Wii U for months and I just got that the Troupple King is a portmantaeu of trout and apple.
An NPC spelled it out for us in an earlier video, before we met the King himself.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
But why trouts and apples?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Samovar posted:

They're both delicious?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hirayuki posted:

An NPC spelled it out for us in an earlier video, before we met the King himself.

Yeah. He explicitly tells you how to spell it as well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Guess what gang!

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/522175739429277696

quote:

Happy to announce that Shovel Knight will arrive on Wii U and 3DS in European and Australian regions this November!

It's finally happening! :dance:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hirayuki posted:

So I am dense!

Also it could be that I talked to that NPC a week or so before I actually met the Troupple King and forgot all about him.

Samovar posted:

I thought he looked like a cherry. :downs:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I haven't played it (only watched Geop's let's play) but you mention some nods to Dark Souls, and don't those guys with the shields who block pogo-shovels kind of resemble the Balder Knights? They've got the little rapiers though I don't know about the shield.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Scaramouche posted:

I haven't played it (only watched Geop's let's play) but you mention some nods to Dark Souls, and don't those guys with the shields who block pogo-shovels kind of resemble the Balder Knights? They've got the little rapiers though I don't know about the shield.
They put me in mind of the Sniper Joes from Mega Man. Maybe there's a bit of both in there.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Scaramouche posted:

Not really Balder Knights. If anything their design is closer to silver/black knights. Balder is kind of a raggy set. Though if you want to go with the armor set it probably closely resembles is Ornstein's set.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
There is a level that struck me as a really big shout-out to Dark Souls, which is of the next "set" that was revealed. If you've watched Geop's LP you'll know it when you see it.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
New video! We head over to the Explodatorium where lots of explosions are happening! What a coincidence!

Shovel Knight Part 4: Level 4 (Explodatorium) -[YouTube]/[Polsy]

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm sure the explosions are a temporary result of ongoing construction.

e: According to the interwebs Plague Knight does not have a pattern; he just has a number of different attacks and an AI that semi-randomly chooses between said attacks, you can apparently also hit his explodey potions back at him with your shovel if you want to.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 18, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That hat guy looks like he'd be interesting to play as.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man! you're missing out on so much stuff. You can talk to the hat guy 3 times at different places in the village and he will give you some money every time. But now he is gone. You did not get that treasure. And the golden armor is by far the best one. You have to show of what it does.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Mr.Hat and the other extra bosses in this game were designed by a few backers on Kickstarter who contributed enough to be a director for a day.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
So many gems skipped... secret walls unbroken... failure to talk to Toader... ignoring the benefits of the best armor... not pursuing Mr. Hat... Dex, you're making it real hard to enjoy this here LP. I mean, I still do, but... all that treasure...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You were right, the Plague Knight stage music was one of Manami Matsumae's tunes, she did that and one other stage. It's probably my favourite tune in the game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You left behind a coin too. :(

Only kidding, besides the missed stuff, I hope you show off more. :cheeky:

Though I am sad you never drove Mr. Hat to distraction.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 19, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Mr. Hat wears a helmet, on which he puts on several hats.

Mr. Hat is a real life TF2 character.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

kalonZombie posted:

Mr. Hat wears a helmet, on which he puts on several hats.

Mr. Hat is a real life TF2 character.

I hate to break it to you, but Shovel Knight is just pretend.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The bird guy airship enthusiast just seems like a huge cock.

:rimshot:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You can talk to Mr hat a few more times and he gives you more gold to leave him alone.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Gad, Plague Knight;s level gave me twice the trouble of the other two knights of this set. I think it's because of the whole double damage thing, and that the first half is really long. The second half is quite manageable in comparison.

Also the yellow Ichor's are super useful for the bonus levels (the wandering yellow knights and stationary red gems, and to a much smaller extent the chest levels) because they can let you get gems that are mutually exclusive or hard to get really easily, and for that reason I adore yellow ichor on a first playthrough.

e: I find that the chaos orb really wrecks the plague knight, as well as a certain other boss that people have trouble with (the huge one that can insta-kill you). Also, I'm not too freaked out about missing the relic in this stage, I missed it the first two times I played myself.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 19, 2014

BirchBeerFloat
Jul 26, 2013
The flying rat enemies remind me of the Sanguinis from Dragon Quest, both in appearance and method of attack. They're probably a reference to something else, though, or else just a logical progression from the flying weasels in the King Knight stage.

Gold armor is the best armor. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
So after some careful consideration I think I'm going to have to give this LP up. There is a LOT more stuff in this game than I had originally anticipated and I feel like continuing without showing off all the extra stuff that Yacht Club put into the game would be a disservice to it. Also I really need to rest my voice for a little bit as it's starting to give out due to work.

I'm going to take an LP break and then come back later with something I've been meaning to do for a long time

If you'd like to hear in more detail why I'm cancelling this LP, I've put a video up about it that you can see here

Thanks for watching! you've been great :)

• Locked thread