Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I like walking and riding my bike.

I dont need a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

id probably fit even more aggressive shitposting into my day if i had a self driving car, op

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I don't like driving

so I would like a self-driving car

please don't attack me for having an opinion that may be considered unpopular

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
Is it still drunk driving if the car is driving itself, and I'm just sitting there enjoying a bottle of cheap liquor? because that's what I'll be doing

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I can't drive because my eyes are poo poo so I'd love a self driving car

also I think the roads would be a lot safer with robots driving everyone around since they wouldn't text/get drunk/turn around to chat with their kids in the backseat/etc.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
you'll look a tit, OP

quote:

In the automated versions, passengers travelling to their selected destination will be able to browse the internet, check emails, read the newspaper and play games inside the pod
:smugbert:

sensors :smug:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The pods are more like on-demand trams because they only go 19km/h and they only travel on pre-determined routes.

Which is the only way that insurance companies and old people will let you have a self-driving car within the next fifty years anyway.

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye
The new versions of the Tesla aren't fully self-driving, but they have a lot of automatic features, to the point that it is called "auto-pilot".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quu551ehc0

RoboJiggolo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 11, 2014

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
one of the biggest advantages of self driving cars is that it finally makes it practical and inexpensive for most people not to own a car at all

i want an app that lets me summon a self-driving car within say 5 minutes, that might be the first useful app

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

psyopmonkey posted:

I like walking and riding my bike.

I dont need a car.

Cars are awesome though what if you just want to take off somewhere

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Computers are dumb as gently caress and the idea of one freely driving in a city scares me.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

Human beings are dumb as gently caress and the idea of one freely driving in a city scares me.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

mookface posted:

Cars are awesome though what if you just want to take off somewhere

Public transit.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

self driving cars are pretty cool. self driving campers are where it's at. imagine going to sleep and waking up dead in a 8 foot snow drift in the rockies

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

psyopmonkey posted:

Public transit.

Public transport is only good in the city and the people on it smell and it takes too long but I was speaking more to the ability of taking off for a few days. Heading down the highway looking for adventure on the open road and poo poo you must know what I'm talking about

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

mookface posted:

Public transport is only good in the city and the people on it smell and it takes too long but I was speaking more to the ability of taking off for a few days. Heading down the highway looking for adventure on the open road and poo poo you must know what I'm talking about

I have Zipcar for that.

I think im gonna go take an adventure to Tillamook in a month or so.

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster
Wonder how they are in the snow. Also not being able to do donuts would suck. so in conclusion gently caress self driving cars.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

psyopmonkey posted:

I have Zipcar for that.

I think im gonna go take an adventure to Tillamook in a month or so.

How does that program work

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

mookface posted:

How does that program work

Well I pay an annual fee and then pay for whatever I use.

Its like an on-demand rental car.

Cool kids only though.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

notZaar posted:

Computers are dumb as gently caress and the idea of one freely driving in a city scares me.

Yes lets trust the average person not to slam 3000lbs of mostly metal into things that's worked out great so far.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

lol at you plebes who drive your own car anyway

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I would get a self driving car once they don't look stupid. But I'm not going to sit in some ugly looking bubble car built by google nerds

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
until the whole road infrastructure in the US (or anywhere else in the world) is upgraded to accommodate for automated personal transportation, as well as industry standards and a poo poo ton of laws, there will be no cars that allow u to play video games or have sex in the back seat while they get u to work unfortunately.

however there are already plenty of (very expensive) cars that can pretty much drive themselves with the driver only acting as a supervisor (essentially like a pilot in a plane on autopilot) both while parallel parking and crusing on the highway. there are also cars with technology that can drive around sans driver to find a spot and park itself though im not sure if that is something that the DOT/NHTSA has actually approved. things like automatic emergency braking though are quickly becoming a standard feature in the majority of new cars to automatically quickly stop ur car if u are rapidly approaching a brick wall and u are too busy texting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_m8DqTlOLE

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

psyopmonkey posted:

Public transit.

people make tinkles in :(

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye

psyopmonkey posted:

Public transit.

:nws:http://theync.com/fight/white-trash-female-gets-her-bf-to-terrorize-a-bus.htm:nws:

I live in a more rural area (there are buses between towns), but there is still no way in hell I'm taking public transport.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Chinatown posted:

its pretty fun actually if you arent a retard and have a decent car
you don't even need a decent car, people have plenty of fun in lovely 10+ yo corsas as long as the acceleration isn't too hosed

the secret is a manual transmission and winding country roads. also being 17 if possible

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I can see self-driving cars working great somewhere like NYC where the streets are very precise, but there are some country roads that would probably confuse the hell out of a computer.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
I want a self-living life.

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

An self driving car (seldcar)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Costello Jello posted:

I can see self-driving cars working great somewhere like NYC where the streets are very precise, but there are some country roads that would probably confuse the hell out of a computer.

lol at the idea of a self-driving car in nyc managing more than 1 mph

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

driving when theres no traffic is fun

driving to and from work is poo poo

i wish there was public transport here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Self driving cars will be programmed to avoid collisions with pedestrians and cyclists at all costs, so it will be very easy for kids or muggers to divert them, or at least stop them going anywhere.

• Locked thread