Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Working on a Mac? Yosemite is Your Friend, and Here's Why
If you're working on a Mac and your machine will support Yosemite, you'll gain some considerable performance (ranging from around 10%-70%) by upgrading from Mavericks. Here's what's changed:

Drivers for NVIDIA cards are faster in general than in Mavericks.
Driver updates in Yosemite have resolved a bug for Intel GPUs that required us to work around them when modifying the frame-buffer blend-state to avoid glitches, costing significant performance. This is ratified in 4.6.
Viewport icons rendering with a diagonal line on AMD Dx00 cards in the new Mac Pros has also been fixed in Yosemite.
All future driver improvements made by Apple will be limited to Yosemite, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

stack scrolling still a slideshow, timb, get on it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

I like how
apple always hides the options to disable their bad UI decisions in the accessibility settings to save face
yeah because you have to be disabled to not appreciate apple's designs for the genius they are.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
aero

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
does it fix the mission control lagginess

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL this is Modern Apple, where a lot of the software engineers Apple hires seem to be recent converts to OS X, and so they don't know about or use OS X features like Mission Control and Exposé and AppleScript, and thus ignore them when working on OS X.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 20, 2014

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

tractor fanatic posted:

does it fix the mission control lagginess

oh thank god they did. maybe it's just because i haven't restarted in awhile

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mission control still buttery smooth on my retinal macbook at max resolution, thanks timb for that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

mission control still buttery smooth on my retinal 2011 macbook pro at max resolution, thanks timb for that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the worlds most advanced operating system, advanced

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

all systems operating normally itt

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

god bless u tim

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

metro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

Working on a Mac? Yosemite is Your Friend, and Here's Why
If you're working on a Mac and your machine will support Yosemite, you'll gain some considerable performance (ranging from around 10%-70%) by upgrading from Mavericks. Here's what's changed:

Drivers for NVIDIA cards are faster in general than in Mavericks.
Driver updates in Yosemite have resolved a bug for Intel GPUs that required us to work around them when modifying the frame-buffer blend-state to avoid glitches, costing significant performance. This is ratified in 4.6.
Viewport icons rendering with a diagonal line on AMD Dx00 cards in the new Mac Pros has also been fixed in Yosemite.
All future driver improvements made by Apple will be limited to Yosemite, as well.

can't wait for windows 10 so i can get new gpu drivers too~~

• Locked thread