Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PleasingFungus posted:

Transistor is very pretty, but, it is not a good game.

I wish that it was. I was really looking forward to enjoying it. But, it's poo poo.

Sorry, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i never played transistor or bastion but i like action games so when i first heard of transistor i was interested. then i saw a trailer and apparently the gameplay is you basically stop time, input whatever actions you want to do, then restart time and watch it all play out? so its really a turn based game that tries to make you think its an action game. that instantly made me lose all interest

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i'm going to buy it during the steam sale, probably

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Someone get up here and defend the parts where the sword is drunk. go head the floor is yours.

sharrrk posted:

i never played transistor or bastion but i like action games so when i first heard of transistor i was interested. then i saw a trailer and apparently the gameplay is you basically stop time, input whatever actions you want to do, then restart time and watch it all play out? so its really a turn based game that tries to make you think its an action game. that instantly made me lose all interest

theres also like 5 types of enemies and they're all a bland combination of annoying and boring.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i did not finish transistor. the combat seemed kind of cool but then it suddenly stopped seeming kind of cool.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't bother with the stop time thing except against bosses and gimmick enemies in Transistor. I am not far in so I don't know if that stops being an option.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

i don't bother with the stop time thing except against bosses and gimmick enemies in Transistor. I am not far in so I don't know if that stops being an option.
I'm surprised you've even made it this far. There's nothing equivalent to Bastion's roll or shield to prevent damage, except for Jaunt. Also a lot of the attacks have big delays built in.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Transistor is very pretty, but, it is not a good game.

I wish that it was. I was really looking forward to enjoying it. But, it's poo poo.

Sorry, OP.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The narrator was irritating, too.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Bastion was good

Transistor was less good but still pretty good

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Jackie D posted:

Bastion was good

Transistor was less good but still pretty good

LOL, no.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

can someone explain to me what makes bastion bad in some people's eyes?

i fuckin love top down action games like bastion and i really liked the story.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I liked them.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

bastion is actually one of the few story-based games i played through more than once. I've played through it three times I think... new game, new game plus, and then i played through a new game again sometime earlier this year

i really like being able to switch playstyles between levels with all the cool customization options

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Dexters Secret posted:

can someone explain to me what makes bastion bad in some people's eyes?

i fuckin love top down action games like bastion and i really liked the story.

It's a turd.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
This avatar makes me look GBS as hell.. It's probably worse than the one I had before.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

bonzibuddy64 posted:

This avatar makes me look GBS as hell.. It's probably worse than the one I had before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONRQ8dZ5ID4

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

bonzibuddy64 posted:

MHmm, yeah - no. It's not the avatar.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

MHmm, yeah - no. It's not the avatar.

:yikes:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

sharrrk posted:

that would be really cool if that was what the game was (fallout 3's VATS system was fun, frozen synapse was fun, I feel like there's another game that did this that was good)

but it's broken as hell. most (every?) attack knocks enemies back, so you can't really chain together multiple attacks - the indicator for what your attacks will hit actively lies to you, since the first knockback will gently caress everything up. it's complete trash.

and then, to add insult to injury, you have to spend a while running around, unable to do most anything except watch enemies shoot at you, while you wait for your bar to refill so you can do stuff again.

you can ignore that and just play it as an action game with really clunky controls, but that's pretty much its own punishment.

TRANSISTOR FANS: please defend your purchase

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
transistor fan here, it's really pretty and i had fun playing it. i like the story and the world it takes place in. i get why people think it's bad, but i think it's good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bastion was like half way to a good game. The weapons were fun except for the gay flamethrower except that I really, really, really hated all of the enemies and every fight was tedious as gently caress for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

sharrrk posted:

its like vats in new vegas, it makes the game easier, but you dont have to use it if you are good enough

• Locked thread