Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

I'm going to second the "Wow you sound ludicrously young" and also, it's weird, but listening to the LP, the tone of your voice makes me think you're reviewing it rather than LPing it.

The LP is still great and I'm looking forward to the next stage, review sounding young'un voice and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
This is a good LP.

I've been thinking about how PureSabe implemented the new features in this game. Assuming the romhack is running on a nintendo emulator, it's not like he could have added any additional processing power - which means that the original NES would have been capable of doing everything PureSabe has added in. What wouldn't have been available, though, is memory - the new features surely take up a lot more data and instruction memory than you could get in an original NES cartridge / Famicom disk.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

sudonim posted:

This is a good LP.

I've been thinking about how PureSabe implemented the new features in this game. Assuming the romhack is running on a nintendo emulator, it's not like he could have added any additional processing power - which means that the original NES would have been capable of doing everything PureSabe has added in. What wouldn't have been available, though, is memory - the new features surely take up a lot more data and instruction memory than you could get in an original NES cartridge / Famicom disk.

It occurs to me that it's possible that the hack includes some virtual "custom hardware" on the cartridge itself to enhance the NES's capabilities. Like how the Japanese Castlevania III had extra sound channels. But I don't think I've seen anything that would actually be impossible on an NES beyond, as you mention, the data storage requirements being absurd.

Not gonna comment on Snorunt's voice because a) it sounds fine, and b) speculating about the identity of someone on the internet is creepy.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It occurs to me that it's possible that the hack includes some virtual "custom hardware" on the cartridge itself to enhance the NES's capabilities. Like how the Japanese Castlevania III had extra sound channels. But I don't think I've seen anything that would actually be impossible on an NES beyond, as you mention, the data storage requirements being absurd.

Which itself was a problem one could handle by including extra hardware on the card. Memory control chips were used to expand how much information the system could effectively index.

Building a cart of this size at the time the NES was supported would probably be hideously expensive, but not impossible.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Ryushikaze posted:

I'm going to second the "Wow you sound ludicrously young" and also, it's weird, but listening to the LP, the tone of your voice makes me think you're reviewing it rather than LPing it.

Thirding this, I was thinking of commenting on it myself, but I didn't because

speculating about the identity of someone on the internet is creepy.

This is a quality LP, though! Keep it up SnoruntPyro!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Not gonna comment on Snorunt's voice because a) it sounds fine, and b) speculating about the identity of someone on the internet is creepy.

Oh, I wasn't casting aspersions or trying to figure out Snorunt's identity. It's just some people have a baby face forever, some people have a really young voice even when they're 80.
It's a quality LP in all respects.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

It occurs to me that it's possible that the hack includes some virtual "custom hardware" on the cartridge itself to enhance the NES's capabilities. Like how the Japanese Castlevania III had extra sound channels.
That's a good point! This is a Japanese rom hack, right? There may be an explanation of how it was done somewhere out there but fat chance of any of us finding / understanding it. A drat shame...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I just discovered this LP today and binged through it so far. You're doing a great job of showing all the little nooks and crannies of the game. Up until now I've only seen blind and semi-blind runs of the game that don't do the thorough job you are. I'm assuming you'll at some point showcase things like the various easter eggs that the Robot Masters have like their Rush Cannon dodges. I also can't wait to see the contents that haven't been covered in say, the Hard Games run through.

Sidebar, I personally find it funnier when someone apologizes for their terrible jokes.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
What do you mean there hasn't been an update in 2 weeks??? Hahahahaha

Choco1980 posted:

I'm assuming you'll at some point showcase things like the various easter eggs that the Robot Masters have like their Rush Cannon dodges.
Yep. After I'm done with the normal game there will be an intermission video showcasing all of the things not shown off in the regular videos and then I'll start the Hard Mode videos.

Thanks for all of the feedback everybody!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Choco1980 posted:

Sidebar, I personally find it funnier when someone apologizes for their terrible jokes.

And this episode has a great groaner right out of the gate.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So, with Dive Man's multiple directional scrolling, it reminds me back into the discussion for how feasible it would be to add all the additional hardware to a physical cartridge to have it play in a real NES. Would it even fit in a front loading NES?

(Also, OP, your delivery is the best yet with this video! Keep it up! )

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm guessing that breaking the glass tube is a Super Metroid reference, from when you break one with a Power Bomb to get to Maridia. (Nintendo itself has made reference to this on several occasions.) Also, the whale and the birds it spawns not only appeared (I presume) in Mega Man 8, but also in Mega Man & Bass. (I only played the latter on an emulator, and thus was surprised to learn that it actually succeeded the former despite being released on a previous-gen console.)

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tasteful use of phaser in the Pharaoh Man video.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

So, with Dive Man's multiple directional scrolling, it reminds me back into the discussion for how feasible it would be to add all the additional hardware to a physical cartridge to have it play in a real NES. Would it even fit in a front loading NES?

(Also, OP, your delivery is the best yet with this video! Keep it up! )

I believe you can buy flashable nes carts (like this) that use modern flash memory so data limit would be a non-issue.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Update!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I think the weapon name is a reference to the Parodius series, where there's a fish named Mambo who uses a similar attack.

Doing Bright Man later in the game after you get Wire is a good idea, holy poo poo. I took an attempt at it earlier on, made it to the block puzzles, and wasn't really able to make much progress because holy crap.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
You can also hold down attack to make a lightbulb stick out of your extended arm that does continuous damage to anything in melee range. If you tank a hit while doing this, then it explodes like it would have if you'd fired it normally.

I still find Brightman to be one of the more impressive re-imagining of the classic 4 robut masters. He's involved and complex but also easy (and fun) to learn how to buster duel. It also never degrades its self into something terrible like some of the other more elaborate bosses in the game. Plus his is by far and large the most awesome counter to Rush Cannon :haw:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think the weapon name is a reference to the Parodius series, where there's a fish named Mambo who uses a similar attack.

Doing Bright Man later in the game after you get Wire is a good idea, holy poo poo. I took an attempt at it earlier on, made it to the block puzzles, and wasn't really able to make much progress because holy crap.

I thought I remembered that the Mambo appearance in one of the Kirby games involved a lightbulb too. I think it was mentioned in the hard games thread run of this.

I love how inventive this stage is, and the transferring of the lifebars down to the bottom of the screen ala the game boy games feels like a really novel change for reasons that, while being a total gimmick, are quite smart. This might be the best put together of the initial 8 stages.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you for not commenting on how long it had been in the video.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man. Dr. C is going to be crazy given what the Robot Masters pulled.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
i did it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You sound bitter. Are you bitter?

(I hadn't realized just how much slower Rush is than Balloon, holy cow)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, the previous time I've seen this game played, it was the one stage that stood out to me for just how utterly dull it was compared to the rest of the game. The gimmick was just bleh and on top of that, random spawns that you just have to gun down or die to while on Rush. Egh.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

It's um, not really a bullet hell boss. Most of the bullets are fake- that's the gimmick. You can also destroy its eyes and tail spike separately, removing most of its attacks.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Excellent LP. Love the informative format and all the references to other games, as well as alternative methods of clearing stages.

Of the bosses so far, Pyramid Man fight looked to be the most fun and interesting.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 8, 2015

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche

Discendo Vox posted:

It's um, not really a bullet hell boss. Most of the bullets are fake- that's the gimmick. You can also destroy its eyes and tail spike separately, removing most of its attacks.

I see that now, but the actual bullets that hurt you have no visual difference from the fake ones (unless they do and I couldn't tell because of sprite flicker), and Rush still moves too goddamn slow to dodge most of anything. You can TRY to keep moving, but you'll eventually start getting hit over and over by the real ones because Rush is far too slow.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
The moth is weak to spark manbow, actually. Thankfully the other three Cossack stages are far more memorable and inspired than this one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SnoruntPyro posted:

I see that now, but the actual bullets that hurt you have no visual difference from the fake ones (unless they do and I couldn't tell because of sprite flicker), and Rush still moves too goddamn slow to dodge most of anything. You can TRY to keep moving, but you'll eventually start getting hit over and over by the real ones because Rush is far too slow.

The only real bullet is the one aimed directly at you, moving at a normal speed.

Speaking more generally to the balloon/rush jet transition, the idea is that the game introduces you to the enemy configurations with training wheels, then takes them off for the second half of the level.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think if there's any fault in this game, it's the creator bringing in too many callbacks to Gradius style shooters. They tend to quickly take the player and force him to play a different style of game to Mega Man, and it seems deeply flawed from my perspective.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I've done god-knows-how-many playthroughs of this game since it was completed. It's such a fun game and all the style and little details it has make it really entertaining to replay.
Then hard mode was released and I thought, "Hey, I'm pretty good at this game by now. This shouldn't be too bad"

:suicide:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

SnoruntPyro posted:

Well, take the wide bullet spread, for example. The real ones are a certain distance away, and the fake ones are a slightly different distance away, though I forget which direction it is. You can use the one that's aimed at you as the reference for all the real bullets, though.

Augus posted:

I've done god-knows-how-many playthroughs of this game since it was completed. It's such a fun game and all the style and little details it has make it really entertaining to replay.
Then hard mode was released and I thought, "Hey, I'm pretty good at this game by now. This shouldn't be too bad"

:suicide:
I was working on an LP of this mode for a long time. The pre-release hard mode was nothing special, but boy, what he did when the official release of hard mode came out... I don't think I can realistically finish this with the goals I had in mind.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Curse you, Mega Man's mouth, you make it look like it says "Gossack Citadel".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh god, I hated Serges so much in X2, why would anybody bring him back? :psyduck:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Oh god, I hated Serges so much in X2, why would anybody bring him back? :psyduck:

Because he's the only boss fight in the X series that's both interesting and iconic?

Well, I guess X1's Sigma fights are also pretty good, but you can't do the first one at least without getting sued by Lucasarts :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Because he's the only boss fight in the X series that's both interesting and iconic?

Well, I guess X1's Sigma fights are also pretty good, but you can't do the first one at least without getting sued by Lucasarts :v:

Shut your mouth, X4 had a Street Fighter character as a boss :allears:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

So, no love for Duff McWhalen for both hilariously stupid name and kind of neat in concept fight?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

So, no love for Duff McWhalen for both hilariously stupid name and kind of neat in concept fight?

Yeugh. That name. I'm still annoyed that we missed out on Burn Dinorex.

Also, Metal Shark Player. Where else would you find a reploid shark pimp that fights by throwing anchors at you and summoning bosses from previous games?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
If this boss uses Yellow Devil's gimmick, does that mean this game lacks a regular Yellow Devil, thus being unique amongst all classic Megaman games?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Iunnrais posted:

If this boss uses Yellow Devil's gimmick, does that mean this game lacks a regular Yellow Devil, thus being unique amongst all classic Megaman games?
What? In the Classic series, only Mega Man 1 and 3 had Yellow Devil bosses. Other Devil-types appeared in Mega Man V, Mega Man 8, Rockman & Forte, Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10. Not having a Devil isn't anything unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

If you don't feel like fighting fair with the Serges Square Machine, you can use rush cannon to instantly destroy the quick laser part of it. When it shoves the third platform away and is in the final form, you can finish it off using Wish Star, which does 8 damage to bosses (bosses that you have Rush to use against, anyways). The wire adapter also makes it leaps and bounds easier to avoid when it's doing the sliding from one side of the arena to the other.

Can't wait for the next stage. Still one of the best designed stages in the entire game.

• Locked thread