Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

why is it 35 degrees here why is rain not coming why did my sister pump mud into my swimming pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

why did my sister pump mud into my swimming pool

to wrestle the sheep

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Big Sister Mud Pumper

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

she is younger and more talented than me

but she doesn't know dick poo poo about pool care

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

don't be mad she was having a diy spa day

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah that's what girls like to do

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
i am indifferent to why

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

why is it 35 degrees here why is rain not coming why did my sister pump mud into my swimming pool

well as long as you don't pump some into hers its all good, but i dunno its new zealand so i don't know if that's accepted in your tiny country.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

gettin weird itt

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

fits my needs posted:

well as long as you don't pump some into hers its all good, but i dunno its new zealand so i don't know if that's accepted in your tiny country.

heh, she doesn't even own a swimming pool :chord:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
why pumpy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah that's what girls like to do

pumpin mad mud, takin crazy spa treatments, girl life

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

for a while i used to ask why, then i got a genetic test and figured out that i'm homozygous for that particular gene, that's why.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

y is a chromosome not a gene

do you know what a chromosome is cause you've got like 6 extra ones

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

i'm homozygous

hahaha gay

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You Am I posted:

Not really. The load is coming up the one cable vs. separate cables for the PC and monitor. There is a big power spike needed to power up the PC as well as HDDs/other drives. Just like a car starting up.

need sagebrush to come in here and destroy this reasoning

pretty sure the jug cords they use on computers can handle the amps a modern pc needs and the monitor in one

i suspect its a space issue, inside the psu. those things pump some load (just like me on a friday night am iright?) and have to probably be designed a lot better than they used to be, given the size hasn't changed much

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the real question is how I transfer those amps in a somewhat safe way to my nipples and balls

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Didn't I say back in the CRT days? Read your bloody thread ffs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are you saying a modern pc PLUS a old monitor is too many amps for one cable? [but not one power strip]

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what the gently caress is PRINCE2? and why are assholes asking me if I have it?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
i prefer how

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
why was some hot poo poo ruby hipster

from Pittsburgh

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

pretty sure the jug cords they use on computers can handle the amps a modern pc needs and the monitor in one

i suspect its a space issue, inside the psu. those things pump some load (just like me on a friday night am iright?) and have to probably be designed a lot better than they used to be, given the size hasn't changed much

it's because old AT supplies has AC power running through the power switch and it was really easy to add a switched outlet to that

early ATX supplies still had the pass-through, but it was powered all the time rather than being switched by the ATX soft-power switch

later supplies dropped it because of something to do with electrical safety regs. i forget the exact reason

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

what the gently caress is PRINCE2? and why are assholes asking me if I have it?

Ƭ̵̬̊ or TAFKAP

^
wont render but you know what i mean

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

worked on my os that isnt a pos op

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

my amstrad had a single power cable and switch. hit the switch, turned on both the monitor and computer. chained the monitor to the computer though, to go from cga > ega was $600

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
why was apparently a fan of house of leaves

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Dolomite posted:

my amstrad

lmao you bought an amstrad

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
thread reminded me of wotwentwrong.com which, curiously enough, has gone belly up soon after it was conceived

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WotWentWrong

quote:

WotWentWrong’s registered users could send customizable e-mails to request feedback from a specific person. The person asking for these reasons could also rate the other person on a variety of factors. The individual receiving the feedback request was only be able to see these ratings once they formally respond. Feedback could be given through predefined reasons or individualized explanations. When the user viewed the feedback report, WotWentWrong supplied customized advice and product recommendations oriented towards the chosen or indicated reasons and explanations. Melnik called the application a "socially-acceptable" way to get feedback on dates.[3]

e: im surprised the site wasnt a huge prank that just gave you a message "its u. ur the one that would unironically use a site like this. kill your self"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why did I get a shirty sleep and then wide awake 5am

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why is it cool to jerk your ding dong in bed next to your sleeping wife?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why are all of us the kind of people that post in a sub forum like this

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Why hasn't this thread been gassed yet?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

echinopsis posted:

why are all of us the kind of people that post in a sub forum like this

because of mercury in the vaccines

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

Why hasn't this thread been gassed yet?

this thread is condoned by the management due to not being gassed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

sweevo is right, it's because old power supplies had a direct passthrough (like a power bar) but modern ones don't

ATX power supplies only do a maximum of 12vdc out and big ol CRT monitors need AC and as much volts as you can give them. even if the crt had an inverter inside so it could run on 12v, you'd by definition need 10-20x as much amps as the monitor would draw if running at 120 or 240. doesn't make sense.

you could probably run a modern ~24" lcd on your computer's power supply pretty easily (they only draw what, 20 watts?) by pulling off the 12v line but there's no standard cable for doing that yet and it would have to come off the motherboard or be plugged into a molex inside the case or something. i dunno, does hdmi source power ever?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why would it be difficult to add a direct passthrough directly at the plug socket?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think power over hdmi is kind of a non starter because for every low energy thing like a blu ray player or apple TV there's some giant hog like a dvr or game console

plus electronics companies wouldn't be able to sell HDMI-power-only stuff for years, they'd have to support both

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

why would it be difficult to add a direct passthrough directly at the plug socket?

it wouldn't, but the atx standard doesn't include it. you could make your own power supply that does if you wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

it wouldn't, but the atx standard doesn't include it. you could make your own power supply that does if you wanted

I'm gonna. you can't stop me.

• Locked thread