Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I remember reading in one of the millions of speculation articles that "editorial hates the 616 designation," is that true?

Nobody except fanboys like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bairfanx posted:

Because Marvel is apparently trying to reduce emphasis on properties to which they don't have the film rights.

Ah yes that must be why there are only a million x-men books.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

That is why there used to be a million X-Men books.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Senor Candle posted:

Sorry, I should've have made that "apparently" bold and blinking or something. This has been a thing that's been talked about on and off for a while and is the only reason why they would be de-emphasizing the FF, particularly in the hands of a creator who did a huge run on them. It's also a whole hell of a lot easier to say "FF are gone" than "X-men are gone" for a ton of reasons.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I wonder how all of this will affect Cosmic Marvel.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So stupid question: Battleworld is basically just Earth right? Is the first year or whatever going to be "REBUILDING SOCIETY ON THIS NEW WORLD" or whatever?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

The X-Men are much more popular than FF, and Marvel wouldn't be that dumb to try and take away those books. They also have Bendis on their main titles, and he is one of the writers that Marvel pretty much lets make his own shots.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bairfanx posted:

Sorry, I should've have made that "apparently" bold and blinking or something. This has been a thing that's been talked about on and off for a while and is the only reason why they would be de-emphasizing the FF, particularly in the hands of a creator who did a huge run on them. It's also a whole hell of a lot easier to say "FF are gone" than "X-men are gone" for a ton of reasons.

There's a big difference between not willing to create cartoons or toys or whatever on properties that they don't make 100% of the profits from and getting rid of FF to spite Fox. I would be much more willing to believe that they would shelve FF for a while because nobody has any good ideas for them.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

OldTennisCourt posted:

So stupid question: Battleworld is basically just Earth right? Is the first year or whatever going to be "REBUILDING SOCIETY ON THIS NEW WORLD" or whatever?

First year? It's only the status quo for the duration of the SW miniseries, presumably, and likely not even in all books published during that time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

First year? It's only the status quo for the duration of the SW miniseries, presumably, and likely not even in all books published during that time.

Safe bet is all the regular books just go on with their own thing until the last month of SW and then any changes will go line-wide.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bairfanx posted:

Because Marvel is apparently trying to reduce emphasis on properties to which they don't have the film rights.

Which explains all those X-Men titles in Secret Wars. I'm not saying they're not trying to de-emphasize the Fantastic Four, but let's be real. That's a special case. I imagine all of the FF will stick around just not in a book called Fantastic Four.

Also I'm really excited about this whole thing. I was kind of hoping this is what Secret Wars was going to turn out to be when they announced it. Not a reboot, but more a streamlining. I'm all for that. Especially with Hickman at the head of it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 21, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

Which explains all those X-Men titles in Secret Wars. I'm not saying they're not trying to de-emphasize the Fantastic Four, but let's be real. That's a special case. I imagine all of the FF will stick around just not in a book called Fantastic Four.

It's pretty clear that Reed is a central player in this because it's all his fault.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Besides Ms Marvel, I hope Squirrel Girl doesn't get messed up. I already know Captain Marvel will be changing along with Hawkeye because their respective writers are leaving the books and will be turned over to someone new (I'm hoping G Willow Wilson is given Captain Marvel).

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Carol was actually made a central member of the Avengers to prime people to see her for the film in a few years.

I do hope they cut down the number of books though. I could see X books being cut down. Though this also could be a chance to retell the origin and early adventures from iconic characters. Imagine if we saw a solo Captain America book that was following Cap's adventures from creation through ww2 to the death of bucky and such. Or have the X-men of All New have their adventures.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

All-New X-Factor is ending, and I imagine X-Force is too after this storyline winds up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

IUG posted:

All-New X-Factor is ending, and I imagine X-Force is too after this storyline winds up.

Yeah, those are both being cancelled.

But Secret Wars has a lot of X-themed things. X-Men 92, House of M, DOFP, Bar Sinister, Age of Apocalypse, and a Utopian-type place.

The interactive map is now working. Doesn't really show too much yet, but it gives an idea of how everything is being put together. Like the Ultimate universe and 616 are put together along with Attilan. http://marvel.com/comics/events/323/secret_wars_2015

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm trying not to go knee jerk in this post. I've been burned too many times by DC and their slate wipings. It does feel like a top down decision but with a way better writer in Hickman than Johns. As such all the current books plot directions now seem kinda pointless. Girl Thor, rear end in a top hat Tony, Mighty Avengers, new Watcher Nick Fury, Deadpool status, _______ and the X-Men, the time displaced X-Men (who then become the prime candidates to replace the main X-Men due to their youth and being able to redo Cyclops and Jean and eventually Logan), Hulk and Hulk Family.

I'll be totally bummed if they get rid of Fantastic Four and FF completely or get replaced with Evil Ultimate Reed. It will be an interesting use of the Secret Wars premise, with an ending similar or following the beats of how Infinite Crisis ended, now it feels certain that Old Steve isn't making it out alive. I get the concept of streamlining for the sake of movie fodder but it does feel a bit sad, especially if this is supposed to be an end to the multiverses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, the more I look at this is just smells like Disney saying THIS IS HOW IT'S GONNA BE and I guess I'm old now because it sounds dumb and uninteresting to me. But it's Hickman so I'll hold out some hope.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Didn't they already do this a few years back or maybe even more recently? These type of major events usually tend to just further compound the problem of their lovely universe/multiverse/metaverse junk. Couldn't they just make a new setting, universe, or characters? Oh wait, marketing nevermind.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Didn't they already do this a few years back or maybe even more recently?

No?
EDIT: Also they are literally making a new setting, and new character will probably come out of this.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 21, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, this has the possibility of working because it's the first time Marvel have ever done it. It mostly worked for DC the first time, the problem is that they've KEPT doing it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This owns.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, those are both being cancelled.

But Secret Wars has a lot of X-themed things. X-Men 92, House of M, DOFP, Bar Sinister, Age of Apocalypse, and a Utopian-type place.

The interactive map is now working. Doesn't really show too much yet, but it gives an idea of how everything is being put together. Like the Ultimate universe and 616 are put together along with Attilan. http://marvel.com/comics/events/323/secret_wars_2015

Wasn't all of this revealed when they released the first Battleworld map nearly two months ago?

Like, what was the point of this press conference anyway?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This is pretty clearly what Hickman's Avengers run has been leading up to since day one (because it's Hickman, he's not exactly a 'make it up as you go' kind of writer), seized upon by editorial as something that can be made Bigger. Hickman hasn't whiffed yet, so I'm pretty confident that this'll be good stuff.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Besides Ms Marvel, I hope Squirrel Girl doesn't get messed up. I already know Captain Marvel will be changing along with Hawkeye because their respective writers are leaving the books and will be turned over to someone new (I'm hoping G Willow Wilson is given Captain Marvel).

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Carol was actually made a central member of the Avengers to prime people to see her for the film in a few years.

I do hope they cut down the number of books though. I could see X books being cut down. Though this also could be a chance to retell the origin and early adventures from iconic characters. Imagine if we saw a solo Captain America book that was following Cap's adventures from creation through ww2 to the death of bucky and such. Or have the X-men of All New have their adventures.

I really doubt G Willow Wilson will be put on Captain Marvel, mostly because it sounds like she might be heading up something big and X-related after this. She's mentioned in a few interviews now that she's working on something involving the team in adjectiveless X-Men that she otherwise "can't talk about." I mean, I guess they could hand her Captain Marvel as well, but that's not how it sounds.

Retellings of early stuff could be really cool though. My dream is a war-era Invaders book written by anyone but the guy writing All-New. It won't happen, but it'd be neat. I'd also be interested in having a few less solo titles and more focused team books.

There's been a lot of multiverse-killing stuff going on the past few years anyway. X-Termination killed the AoA universe and a couple other random ones, Spider-Verse is ... killing off Spider-Men, if not necessarily their universes? Dunno, haven't been reading or keeping up. And then obviously Hickman's Avengers has been large scale multiverse murderin' mayhem. I'm interested in where this goes. Wary, but hopeful.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Okay let's see here, New Quakburg is obviously Howard the Duck.

The Far East is Marvel Mangaverse

Oh and looks like their bringing back Marville, can't wait for that one.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Weirdworld!

Founding Avenger Mud-Butt will take some getting used to in the new continuity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Wall? Looking forward to X-Men vs White Walkers in 2016.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Oh and looks like their bringing back Marville, can't wait for that one.

Marville is where the Skottie Young baby AvX thing is.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Codependent Poster posted:

Marville is where the Skottie Young baby AvX thing is.

I hope one of them survives as the one true version and we just have baby Hawkeye on the Avengers moving forward.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm more confident with Hickman helping mastermind this thing and in Marvel's ability to present something readable than whatever went on with DC. I don't know if I wanna take that world as a literal thing...for some reason but I guess it is what it is though I don't quite get it.It doesn't jive with the usual "real world" Marvel has going. But I suppose now it means that if we want to visit a setting, like an Age of Apocalypse one, they can all fly there or something.

I don't see this as a permanent thing. Then again I didn't see DC's current continuity as a permanent thing though it's still going. It'll take a little time to adjust and become the new norm then go through similar struggles it always does before another considered reboot.

I hope Wells, Kelly or Hickman are considered for Spidey. It'd be awesome. I'm interested in Peter-MJ-Kid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The whole 'This is the MU now, for realsies' is almost certainly Breevoort and Alonso bullshitting/making it clear they're blowing everything up in about equal measure. It doesn't mean there's always going to be an Avengers Babies country in the new 616.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This is gonna be great.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Hopefully it returns the beyonder to his former glory!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everyone is talking about no more F4 but I loving love the F4 and I don't want them to go :smith: . I'd love to keep them as they are now with Reed and Susan heavily ingrained on the Avengers and SHIELD story lines so that any story involving them would be untouchable by Fox or whoever owns them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gatts posted:

I'm more confident with Hickman helping mastermind this thing and in Marvel's ability to present something readable than whatever went on with DC. I don't know if I wanna take that world as a literal thing...for some reason but I guess it is what it is though I don't quite get it.It doesn't jive with the usual "real world" Marvel has going. But I suppose now it means that if we want to visit a setting, like an Age of Apocalypse one, they can all fly there or something.

I don't see this as a permanent thing. Then again I didn't see DC's current continuity as a permanent thing though it's still going. It'll take a little time to adjust and become the new norm then go through similar struggles it always does before another considered reboot.

I hope Wells, Kelly or Hickman are considered for Spidey. It'd be awesome. I'm interested in Peter-MJ-Kid.

Nobody has said Battlword is going to be the Universe going forward. Whatever the result of Battleworld is will be. Nobody expects there to be a Marvel Universe where Marvel Zombies are just chilling out in the southern hemisphere and the North Pole is ruled by Hulks.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Marvel posted:

Imagine two pizzas: They're going to combine toppings, some toppings are going to drop off.

Here's betting that the toppings they don't have movie rights to are the ones that fall off.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The last two Fantastic Four runs were terrible and no one bought them. I'm sure there'll be a new book someday, but right now shelving it is probably smart.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everyone is talking about no more F4 but I loving love the F4 and I don't want them to go :smith: . I'd love to keep them as they are now with Reed and Susan heavily ingrained on the Avengers and SHIELD story lines so that any story involving them would be untouchable by Fox or whoever owns them.

This is how I think it will be actually. When they announced the F4 book was ending they said while there won't likely be a book for a while the characters would still be around in other places.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I like how Alonso is saying it'll be a great jumping on point for new readers, when it sounds like the biggest clusterfuck ever. I guess he means that the post-SW status quo will be, but still...

IUG posted:

Yes, but that's because they're both selling like poo poo. So is FF. Not everything is a big conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's also a perception that you can't say "gently caress no new readers shouldn't start here" because that's potentially alienating new customers.

• Locked thread