Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BexGu posted:

Ahhh the Wildstar method. if only we can see another crash and burn as mighty as that cluster gently caress.

It was obvious to me Wildstar was going to crash and burn. "Oh we'll do another Wow clone, but we'll spend A LOT of money on the content this time!" Come on.

Crowfall has a model that at least theoretically could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wadjamaloo posted:

Does the word "release" really mean anything anymore?

Well the internet has changed the definition of the word literally so I guess the internet can also change the definition of release to "some kind of murky will-it-won't-it alpha/beta build hell"

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Megazver posted:

It was obvious to me Wildstar was going to crash and burn. "Oh we'll do another Wow clone, but we'll spend A LOT of money on the content this time!" Come on.

Crowfall has a model that at least theoretically could work.

That's the thing, everything they say seems interesting. But implementation is going to be the deal breaker for me. I like the shot in the trailer of the wizard and ranger weakening a wall as the fighter busts through it. I love the idea of the campaigns but wonder if they have race restrictions or class restrictions are my three character slots going to eventually not be able to participate in a fun campaign because I chose poorly. This is how I'm understanding the system currently, but with what little info we have it will probably change.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Robo Reagan posted:

Well the internet has changed the definition of the word literally so I guess the internet can also change the definition of release to "some kind of murky will-it-won't-it alpha/beta build hell"

The internet didn't change it, Mad TV did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_DgJ8R-8XI

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

That's the thing, everything they say seems interesting. But implementation is going to be the deal breaker for me. I like the shot in the trailer of the wizard and ranger weakening a wall as the fighter busts through it. I love the idea of the campaigns but wonder if they have race restrictions or class restrictions are my three character slots going to eventually not be able to participate in a fun campaign because I chose poorly. This is how I'm understanding the system currently, but with what little info we have it will probably change.

It's my understanding that you won't pick race and class separately at all. Those twelve archetypes are all there is for now, like the heroes in mobas, so that you can tell each class from glance in the battle. The forgemasters are dwarven. The duelists are gerbils. The assassins are elves. The frostweavers are blue elves.

Personally I'm okay with it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Both Warhammer Online and Guild Wars 2 have massive pvp areas with keeps and fortresses and siege weaponry and stuff but I personally found it super boring. I thought it was going to be amazing because in my mind a PvP siege on a castle is this really cool dynamic thing but in reality it turned out to be "bang on the door of the keep a lot and every now and then use the most uninspired and BORING siege weapons known to man".

I really hope these guys can make siege warfare and fantasy pvp warfare fun again.

With this said im not gonna throw my money at them, MMO's are way too much risk

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrBims posted:

The internet didn't change it, Mad TV did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_DgJ8R-8XI

MadTV is a myth nobody has ever actually seen it

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Zzulu posted:

Both Warhammer Online and Guild Wars 2 have massive pvp areas with keeps and fortresses and siege weaponry and stuff but I personally found it super boring. I thought it was going to be amazing because in my mind a PvP siege on a castle is this really cool dynamic thing but in reality it turned out to be "bang on the door of the keep a lot and every now and then use the most uninspired and BORING siege weapons known to man".

I really hope these guys can make siege warfare and fantasy pvp warfare fun again.

With this said im not gonna throw my money at them, MMO's are way too much risk

Most of their ideas seem to be heavily leaning on Shadowbane, at least in principle. What they've showed of the character creation screen is almost an exact replica from Shadowbane. If that's really the way they're trying to go with things, then it'll be a bit different to Warhammer Online and Guild Wars 2. Warhammer Online had the lamest most poorly implemented idea of PVP areas and castle sieges I've ever seen, Guild Wars 2 was decent but still too small and boring. Shadowbane's entire gimmick was building everything and destroying everything, freedom being the main idea. This meant that if you were playing with people you didn't hate, it was extremely satisfying to lay a siege on a big city and blow everything up. If you were playing with people you hated (or alone) then the game was awful.

But yeah you're totally right, MMO's mostly suck and crowdfunding never works. I'm not getting excited about it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Sieging in DAOC circa 2002 was so much fun because it was so hilariously broken, especially in the beginning. The parts to build a ram were so heavy that it took a full group of 8 carrying max weight to bring a complete ram. Whoever was going to build it had to get to the door, then everyone had to trade him all the parts which would render him immobile while he assembled it.

The first time I ever even saw a ram go up I was inside the fort with another weaponsmith repairing the door, and suddenly we saw the tip of the enemy ram clipping through the gate. The other guy said "hm, let me try something" and sure enough it was clickable, so he disassembled it, recovered the wood and used it to repair the door. The resulting forum thread was wonderful entertainment for weeks.

The only thing I ever saw catapults usefully used for was once, when one of the PVP guilds had an idea and invited us to participate. We took a bunch of catapults and stones and set up outside the Midgard TK, sent in some Nightshades as spotters, and used the catapults to kill all the parked buffbots idling inside. Cue tears, etc.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

One time I killed Lord British.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I have not much time to play video games anymore. So my budget for games is like $60 or $30 every other month and my backlog is still growing. So $30 for this kickstarter is basically nothing to me.

So my advice is: Treat your kickstarter investments as money down the drain. Do not spend amounts of money that you care about!!!

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
I dunno this looks like it could be cool. The worst that'll happen is it will be boring.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Rigel posted:

I dunno this looks like it could be cool. The worst that'll happen is it will be boring.

No, the worst that can happen is to be strung along with constantly-moving release dates and nearly unplayable buggy releases. Hex is a TCG/MMORPG hybrid that got funded 2.3 million out of 300,000 goal almost two years ago, and after many months of delays on core features and major bugs being present after multiple patches of alleged fixes the community has gone from optimistic and eager to completely fed up and just wanting to cash out their rewards. There is a fate worse than death for Kickstarter MMOs. Not saying Crowfall is heading towards it, I want it to succeed, but getting a net-positive value out of following a Kickstarter MMO is worse odds than flipping a coin.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 25, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

MrBims posted:

getting a net-positive value out of following a Kickstarter MMO is worse odds than flipping a coin.

on the plus side the hilariously bad copyright infringing harry potter mmo was shut down after massively sent them a C&D for falsely claiming they gave a good review and misleadingly using their logo to imply that

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

on the plus side the hilariously bad copyright infringing harry potter mmo was shut down after massively sent them a C&D for falsely claiming they gave a good review and misleadingly using their logo to imply that

The massively kickstarter has been funded, but is still running by the way.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

shadok posted:

I confess, the Raph Koster involvement has me curious to see the gameplay they come up with. One can only hope.

the mighty Hitler-Tek Corporation

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Carol Pizzamom posted:

im here to say stupid poo poo, then say i was trolling later

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
How the gently caress is this piece of poo poo getting money so fast while the Ultima Underworld sequel is barely going to clear its goal of 600k? Will retards just throw money at anything on Kickstarter if it says MMO somewhere on the page?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of it

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
These mmo kickstarters are like buying a lottery ticket. It's money down the drain but instead of day dreaming about being less of a loser and driving fancy cars and throwing sick parties in your mansion you day dream about being even more of a loser

The chances are slightly better too. Highly suggested

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Carol Pizzamom posted:

These mmo kickstarters are like buying a lottery ticket. It's money down the drain but instead of day dreaming about being less of a loser and driving fancy cars and throwing sick parties in your mansion you day dream about being even more of a loser

The chances are slightly better too. Highly suggested

A loser who throws sick parties in their voxel mansion, thank you very much.

At least until someone burns it down and murders the fleeing partygoers, anyway.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Add me to the list of idiot retards that like to throw money away.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

how much did you donate

$30

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

shadok posted:

I confess, the Raph Koster involvement has me curious to see the gameplay they come up with. One can only hope.

Holy poo poo, blast from the past! I like how the horse cock was censored but the staff cock wasn't.

I hope everyone who kickstarted this gets stuck on a bridge in real life.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yes 800K seems completely reasonable for a fully featured innovative mmo.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

They have at least 2.3mil of their own funding.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
The little gameplay they showed in the trailer looks pretty cool.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Stretch Goal - If we reach $3 million, we'll bring Tim Schafer, Peter Molyneux, and Chris Roberts on board!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

mightygerm posted:

They have at least 2.3mil of their own funding.

So why should I pay for it if they have most of it already?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

randombattle posted:

So why should I pay for it if they have most of it already?

Its cheap financing for them because dumb idiot nerds like me gamble on paying less for the game now then more later?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Oh god, "Game of Thrones meets EVE Online" is such on-the-nose pandering that my face hurts. That said, I am very glad somebody is doing something with that voxel engine that EQ Next was going to use before the SOE got bought out.

The fact that this has prior funding makes me think this'll actually get a launch, so at the very least I can look forward to the drama that always comes from these Open Sandbox No Casual Scum PvP games.

I doubt it'll be as good as the Arch Age thread though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea that tagline is loving AWFUL

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they've even hired concept artists who worked on game of thrones, like, they are going balls to the wall pandering to everyone they can to get money

PvP Full loot grognard, EVE people, GoT fans, etc

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'm in, balls deep.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Eonwe posted:

they've even hired concept artists who worked on game of thrones, like, they are going balls to the wall pandering to everyone they can to get money

PvP Full loot grognard, EVE people, GoT fans, etc

well poo poo, thanks for that endorsement. im in for 200 bucks.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
two people have joined bio in backing for $10000

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also some dude in the crowfall subreddit promised to be your slave in game lmao

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

i am tim! posted:

Oh god, "Game of Thrones meets EVE Online" is such on-the-nose pandering that my face hurts.

Could be worse. They could have stated "A Song of Ice and Fire". Which of course will never be finished because of the absolute fucker

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Warhammer Online, which was p bad, had a budget of nearly 40mil (some sources say 100m but i dont believe it)

Tabula Rasa had a budget of about 100 million dollars

SWTOR was estimated to have cost between 150-200 million dollars to make

Huge budgets will not guarantee a good game (as evidenced above) but I do think they're gonna need a whole lot more than a few million dollars to create an MMO worth buying

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also I gave bio owner of the #crowfall channel since i cant be hosed to do stuff with it

• Locked thread