Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bwee
strong female protagonists are typically weight lifters, bodybuilders, mma fighters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWERBALL

by zen death robot
:synpa:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

POWERBALL

by zen death robot
motherfuck

----------------

dogcrash truther
anyway, i think a good book is george saunders' "Tenth of December"

ham_sanitizer

professional swine bather
what's a female

Bwee

Selfsuck Roadhead posted:

what's a female

please answer this question carefully

dogcrash truther

what's a female

*face turning visibly red, straining* not much, what's a female with you?

dogcrash truther

what's a female

a social construct

eig

wait are we gonna talk about books or not

bacalou

dogcrash truther posted:

bacalou: "hi I'm bacalou and I don't know what a strong female protagonist is."

haha but seriously molly is just hired muscle is it really that unbelievable that she would act how she does

bwatts

i like books

POWERBALL

by zen death robot

dogcrash truther posted:

anyway, i think a good book is george saunders' "Tenth of December"

saunders is good but you only really need to read one book by him to know what he can do. he is a really nice guy though

----------------

pogi

eig

i like books b/c they pay my salary:)

arghfist

cool books:

The Book of the New Sun(series of 4) by Gene Wolfe
very well written sci-fi/fantasy

The Prince of Nothing(series of 3)/Aspect Emperor(series of 3) by R. Scott Bakker
fantasy, very well written

The Flashman Papers(series of 13)
historical fiction, pretty good

bacalou

books are cool but what's really cool [opens vault of airtight sealed golden era marvel comics ] are comic books

dogcrash truther

POWERBALL posted:

saunders is good but you only really need to read one book by him to know what he can do. he is a really nice guy though

Yeah I kinda agree and I think Tenth of December is the best but also I really like what he can do and don't mind reading him doing it repeatedly. Also there are still better and worse stories even if they're all good.

dogcrash truther

fly away troll

eig

crust munch posted:

books are cool but what's really cool [opens vault of airtight sealed golden era marvel comics ] are comic books

those are still books

Wertjoe

crust munch posted:

I won't even pretend like I don't still read Spider-man. Do you read Spider-man? It's pretty darn good.

arghfist

more cool books:

The First Law trilogy, Joe Abercrombie
wizards and warriors stuff, entertaining

The Guns of August, Barbara Tuchman
runup to WWI, the best history book

POWERBALL

by zen death robot

dogcrash truther posted:

Yeah I kinda agree and I think Tenth of December is the best but also I really like what he can do and don't mind reading him doing it repeatedly. Also there are still better and worse stories even if they're all good.

that's true! I have his commencement speech on my kindle and his perspective is kinda unique in that everyone in contemporary american lit is writing anti-heroes and saunders just writes straight-up heroes and it's cool and he has that kind of melancholic hopeful thing that i like. tenth of december is my fav too. also, albert goldbarth is a poet who i think evokes similar feelings to saunders stuff if you're into poetry

----------------

Afro Doug

im also pretty crazy about kerouac

pogi

Afro Doug posted:

I thought that guy was a loving rear end in a top hat.

pogi

Wertjoe posted:

I really liked it actually. Maybe it's because it was the first Murakami book I read? The main character's general malaise about everything seemed more like a statement about society. He was just another normal person intruding into the abnormal part of the world and he just wasn't able to react in a way other than "Try to continue being normal, drink a beer, sit in a well, put the door back."

I havent read it in a while though so maybe I should re read it to see if my interpretation is still valid.

I'm not done with the book yet and I'm still chewing the fat of Murakami's metaphors, but what I really like about Toru's :geno: is how it's kind of set against the backdrop of Manchuria/WWII, especially when the old officer guy tells him about the skinning thing or when Nutmeg is telling him about the zoo and the submarine. I could see Toru watching a buddy get blown the gently caress up by a Soviet tank, shrug his shoulders, take a sip of a canteen, let things flow.

I think what makes homeboy special is that he IS able to react by "drink a beer, sit in a well, etc.", and a lot of the characters comment on this. If my wife wrote me a letter saying she got freaknasty with a random dude, I would flip the gently caress out, not totally accept it and think "Welp." If anything, I think Murakami is trying to comment on how we try to justify or explain away the more exciting parts of life instead of accepting them for what they are.

I haven't finished the book yet so this is probably bullshit tho.

dogcrash truther

POWERBALL posted:

that's true! I have his commencement speech on my kindle and his perspective is kinda unique in that everyone in contemporary american lit is writing anti-heroes and saunders just writes straight-up heroes and it's cool and he has that kind of melancholic hopeful thing that i like. tenth of december is my fav too. also, albert goldbarth is a poet who i think evokes similar feelings to saunders stuff if you're into poetry

I am super into poetry and will definitely check that guy out, thanks

pogi

DCT I'm going to add "Tenth of December" to my reading list. Do you have anything else you would recommend?

dogcrash truther

Afro Doug posted:

He's good..I thought because of all the hype and the way he gets described he would be bad but instead he is a really good writer and on the road, dharma bums (my fave) and big sur are all great

dogcrash truther

sexual nightmare posted:

DCT I'm going to add "Tenth of December" to my reading list. Do you have anything else you would recommend?

Yeah but lemme think a bit. What kinds of things do you like

pogi

dogcrash truther posted:

Yeah but lemme think a bit. What kinds of things do you like

I'm trying to expand my horizons a little bit, so something you think might be challenging.

Piso Mojado

dogcrash truther posted:

He's good..I thought because of all the hype and the way he gets described he would be bad but instead he is a really good writer and on the road, dharma bums (my fave) and big sur are all great

dharma bums is incredible, but i never could get into Kerouac too much or really any beat writer. Regardless, the fifties were a renaissance for american writing even without them. I just finished reading Flannery O'Connors - The Complete Stories.

Her writing is powerful and this was one of the best collections of short stories i have ever read.

dogcrash truther

sexual nightmare posted:

I'm trying to expand my horizons a little bit, so something you think might be challenging.

Far Tortuga by Peter Matheissen is one of the greatest books I've ever read. The style makes it an interesting challenge. It is remarkable, tough, unsentimental, beautiful, angry and compassionate. All of his stuff is superior literature but I think Far Tortuga is in a class by itself.

dogcrash truther
You have to buy it in physical copy though. Do not get the kindle version

dogcrash truther

Piso Mojado posted:

dharma bums is incredible, but i never could get into Kerouac too much or really any beat writer. Regardless, the fifties were a renaissance for american writing even without them. I just finished reading Flannery O'Connors - The Complete Stories.

Her writing is powerful and this was one of the best collections of short stories i have ever read.

Hells fuckin yeah, she's incredible. Have you read Wise Blood?

pogi

I thought On The Road was full of morally reprehensible poo poo but I read it all the way to the end - there's no denying the man can write. Are the rest of his books just as rear end in a top hat-ish or are they a bit more mellow?

dogcrash truther
Also JR and A Frolic of His Own by William Gaddis are pretty challenging but really funny

bacalou

it really bums me out when I bring up cool books and people IRL tell me "they don't read"

Piso Mojado

dogcrash truther posted:

Hells fuckin yeah, she's incredible. Have you read Wise Blood?

no, but i was thinking about picking it up next. is it pretty good? After The Complete Stories, Im eager to jump into some more of her writing.

Tebulot

im hip now bois

arghfist posted:

cool books:

The Book of the New Sun(series of 4) by Gene Wolfe
very well written sci-fi/fantasy

The Prince of Nothing(series of 3)/Aspect Emperor(series of 3) by R. Scott Bakker
fantasy, very well written

The Flashman Papers(series of 13)
historical fiction, pretty good

Scott Bakker is a boss. Did you check out Neuropath?

I read my way through all of Flashman during a deployment, hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther

sexual nightmare posted:

I thought On The Road was full of morally reprehensible poo poo but I read it all the way to the end - there's no denying the man can write. Are the rest of his books just as rear end in a top hat-ish or are they a bit more mellow?

More mellow by far. Most of Dharma Bums is just him hiking with Gary Snyder and it's great. Big Sur is kinda a bummer but it's well written and humane

• Locked thread