Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

drat. Those mothershitting pissbabies are retarded and gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
prove me wrong

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

vug posted:

For instance in morrowind you get "[There is a brief sensation of motion in total darkness, floating, but without a sense of weight and direction.]" and you read the words and imagine the meaning, it's the miracle of art. But these days the screen would just go weird for a bit and it would suck rear end. In fact I would bet my bottom dollar that that's exactly what will happen in skywind because they're shitfart babies who don't know what the gently caress

Both are poo poo and if you want to write a lovely book do that instead of making a video game.

Dec 26, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

drat. Those mothershitting pissbabies are retarded and gay.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Both are poo poo and if you want to write a lovely book do that instead of making a video game.

Nano i'm gonna loving choke you to death if you keep sayin poo poo like this

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vug posted:

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2006/05/23/oblivions_ken_rolston_speaks/

All the dialogue in Oblivion is voiced. How did that affect your approach to writing dialogue? Did it reduce the variety of dialogue you could write? If so, do you prefer fully-voiced dialogue or text dialogue with more branching?

Rolston:
I prefer Morrowind's partially recorded dialogue, for many reasons. But I'm told that fully-voiced dialogue is what the kids want. Fully-voiced dialogue is less flexible, less apt for user projection of his own tone, more constrained for branching, and more trouble for production and disk real estate.

its fuckin true man. games have got worse since people expected the technology to do the work when it can't
For instance in morrowind you get "[There is a brief sensation of motion in total darkness, floating, but without a sense of weight and direction.]" and you read the words and imagine the meaning, it's the miracle of art. But these days the screen would just go weird for a bit and it would suck rear end. In fact I would bet my bottom dollar that that's exactly what will happen in skywind because they're shitfart babies who don't know what the gently caress

Agreed man. I would prefer to have the total lack of any effort on the part of the developers, instead of some. Hey, you got a good Down's Syndrome support group? I got kicked out of mine last week.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Agreed man. I would prefer to have the total lack of any effort on the part of the developers, instead of some. Hey, you got a good Down's Syndrome support group? I got kicked out of mine last week.

Normally I'd agree with you but I don't think the voice acting in any post-Morrowind Elder Scrolls had any effort put into it at all.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

i really appreciate the immersiveness provided by 7 cycling voice actors providing stilted lines throughout my 200 hour playthrough of a game

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

*raspy voice* "spare some change for the infirm"

*give coin*

*posh voice* "thank you kind sir/lady"

*rumor*

*normal npc voice* "i think im gay"

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Voiced dialogue in video games is for children who are immature and stupid by definition. Written dialogue in video game however is for adults who are really smart and know how to read.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
both are poo poo in most games but both can be good in different kinds of games

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

vug posted:

just done the hortator missions again (CHIMed my speed up to 500 because gently caress walking around talking to all those assholes)
it's a very boring part of the game but it's so great that pretty much everybody sees you coming a mile away and you're a useful idiot who they can send off to do whatever act of violence they want because you reckon you're a mythical hero

is that Redoran council member that never loving stops talking but also complains about people who are just :words: all the time in the vanilla game, or was it the only good addition from that awful LGNPC mod? I can't remember

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

both are poo poo in most games but both can be good in different kinds of games

Voiced dialogue needs good voice actors and written dialogue needs good writers, but Bethesda doesn't want to spend money on either so either way you lose

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
exactly

bethesda had some cool worldbuilding back in the day but that's just one specific subset of writing and the rest they're mediocre at, most of the time

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i guess gta 4/5 is an object lesson in good voiced dialogue but they cost humongous amounts of money to make

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
if Skyrim money isn't enough money to do that with then Bethesda is never going to have that kind of money

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

don't worry we'll just get 5 minutes of a disinterested patrick stewart to give the game the star power it needs to succeed

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like how in Skyrim they got Max von Sydow to do a couple lines, hired an uncredited guy who vaguely sounded like him after they realized that paying for VA work in Paris for just him was too expensive, and then still gave him top billing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how in Skyrim they got Max von Sydow to do a couple lines, hired an uncredited guy who vaguely sounded like him after they realized that paying for VA work in Paris for just him was too expensive, and then still gave him top billing.

oh wow did that really happen?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

oh wow did that really happen?

It's either that or he just decided to change his accent partway through voice acting, which is slightly less embarrassing but still pretty dumb

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i didn't even know it was this bad:
michael gough (deckard cain, videogame shrek)

quote:

Acolyte Jenssen / Adventurer / Alvor / Arnskar Ender-Master / Assassin / Balgruuf the Greater / Barknar / Beirand / Belrand / Bersi Honey-Hand / Blackblood Marauder / Blood Horker / Bolund / Bounty Collector / Brunwulf Free-Winter / Calder / Commoner / Corsair / Dark Brotherhood Assassin / Falk Firebeard / Farmer / Filnjar / Frofnir Trollsbane / Fultheim the Fearless / Ghost Adveturer / Golldir / Gorm / Gregor / Gunjar / Hadring / Hafnar Ice-Fist / Hag / Heimskr / Hero of Sovngarde / Hired Thug / Hjorunn / Hod / Hunroor / Hunter / Imperial Soldier / Jon Battle-Born / Jorn / Kjar / Kjeld / Korir / Kraldar / Kust / Kyr / Lodvat / Lortheim / Lucky Lorenz / Niels / Odar / Oengul War-Anvil / Ogmund / zoller od / Pactur / Pale Hold Guard / Ralof / Rissing / Roggi Knot-Beard / Roggvir / Sailor / Sigar / Silver Hand Warrior / Skaggi Scar-Face / Skulvar Sable-Hilt / Sond / Stalleo / Stalleo's Bodyguard / Stormcloak Archer / Stormcloak Soldier / Subjugated Ghost / Talsgar the Wanderer / Thalmor Prisoner / Thief / Thongvor Silver-Blood / Thonnir / Thorek / Thorgar / Torkild the Fearsome / Torture Victum / Traveling Bard / Traveling Merchant / a Traveling Pilgrim / Ulfgar the Unending / Valdimar / Vekel the Man / Vidgod / Vigilant Tolan / Vilkas / Vilod / Vipir the Fleet / Visiting Advisor / Vulwulf Snow-Shod / Wilhelm / Witch / Rargal Thrallmaster - Dawnguard DLC / Vampire Cattle - Dawnguard DLC / Adventurer - Dragonborn DLC / Benkum - Dragonborn DLC / Gjalund Salt-Sage - Dragonborn DLC / Halbarn Iron-Fur - Dragonborn DLC / Madman - Dragonborn DLC / Majni - Dragonborn DLC / Pirate Captain - Dragonborn DLC / Werebear - Dragonborn DLC / Wulf Wild-Blood - Dragonborn DLC (voice)

some of these only have a few lines but they should still just find some chump to do them for a throwaway character

and yeah the esbern guy was the same VA all the way through but he actually just forgot his accent or something

i kinda wonder how well it'd go if they just hired tons and tons of people for super cheap. maybe they'd stumble on people like Logan Cunningham

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Everyone just skips through the voice acting anyways so they can click accept quest faster.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pookum posted:

Everyone just skips through the voice acting anyways so they can click accept quest faster.

Lots of people legitimantly love voice acting and info dump NPCs.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I missed the dude who did the Redguard Male voice in Morrowind and Oblivion (and Cyrus in Redguard). Dunno why they didn't bring him back for Skyrim. He wasn't great but you could tell he liked his job and actually put some effort into it.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

voice acting is wasted on npcs that immobilize you in a dialogue and talk to you. everyone reads the subtitles in a second and a half and skips the 3mb of voice files that remain after he garbles out the first three words.

passive voice acting, like when people are shooting the poo poo in your car in GTA, is pretty win though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

if I like the voice acting in a game I'll turn the subtitles off so I stop reading ahead of what they're talking about

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I missed the dude who did the Redguard Male voice in Morrowind and Oblivion (and Cyrus in Redguard). Dunno why they didn't bring him back for Skyrim. He wasn't great but you could tell he liked his job and actually put some effort into it.

"i'm going to enjoy this!"

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i should probably w-:smug:-wash up before heading home

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
At this point I'd rather they just publish the script for their games online and crowdsource their VA. I'd rather hear some 12-year old fart into a $5 tincan-mic and talk about boobies than hear the same 2 canned voices ad infinitum.

patrolling the mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
just beat morrowind and pillars of eternity back 2 back and the parts where you read the words in your head are way better than the lazy bored person stiffly delivering bad fantasy dialogue in my opinion

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
diablo 2 had good voice acting.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Dr qq posted:

just beat morrowind and pillars of eternity back 2 back and the parts where you read the words in your head are way better than the lazy bored person stiffly delivering bad fantasy dialogue in my opinion

the only lines i remember from skyrim are the ones people said while passing me. nothing anyone said was memorable

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 17, 2015

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
the skyrim guard chatter is tattooed into my brain wrinkles forever. but so is OUTLANDER, WHAT DO YOU WANT???

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Dr qq posted:

Man, Pillars of Eternity went cheap on the voice actors. I think most of the companions did good, save for the black chick who seemed to be a dev's waifu or some poo poo and the other lady who was all about saving the babbies, and I thought the bad guy was ok, but everyone else really phoned it in.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SunAndSpring posted:

Man, Pillars of Eternity went cheap on the voice actors. I think most of the companions did good, save for the black chick who seemed to be a dev's waifu or some poo poo and the other lady who was all about saving the babbies, and I thought the bad guy was ok, but everyone else really phoned it in.

IMO they went cheap on pretty much everything but the gameplay.

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
whoever did eder and grieving mother and durance were excellent, i thought.

they should do the next game in that setting on whatever engine morrowind was on and do an homage to that instead of bg2

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Maybe in PoE 2 they will use Source 2 or Unreal Engine 4 instead of lovely rear end Unity.

In any case I found the best morrowind mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43394/

Dec 26, 2012

Dr qq posted:

whoever did eder and grieving mother and durance were excellent, i thought.

they should do the next game in that setting on whatever engine morrowind was on and do an homage to that instead of bg2

they should make a spiritual alpha protocol sequel where the gameplay's more hit than miss

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Replace all VAs with simlish generators, spend the remaining money on booze and LSD.

worked for E.Y.E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's nothing wrong at all with mostly just using the same 6 or so dudes to do voice acting in your game, if they're actually good voice actors and have a ton of range. Bethesda doesn't pay for good voice actors though.

Except for that dude that used to play the Dunmer and also Haskill in Shivering Isles. He was cool

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

if I like the voice acting in a game I'll turn the subtitles off so I stop reading ahead of what they're talking about

same

• Locked thread