Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Anoia posted:

My favorite thing about Nexus TK was you got a spell at level 90 that allowed you to broadcast to the entire map with highlighted text. The idea was players over 90 should help the community by ahahahaha yeah right.

It was very easy to confuse the hell out of newbies, as you were like the voice of god from on high telling them, in response to their question about dyeing clothes, they needed to gather 1,000 chestnuts first.

But mostly it was used as a 90+ chat room that no one could turn off, until they finally caved to complaints and added a toggle option.

So did you ever manage to fish up a Flameblade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Anoia posted:

My favorite thing about Nexus TK was you got a spell at level 90 that allowed you to broadcast to the entire map with highlighted text. The idea was players over 90 should help the community by ahahahaha yeah right.

It was very easy to confuse the hell out of newbies, as you were like the voice of god from on high telling them, in response to their question about dyeing clothes, they needed to gather 1,000 chestnuts first.

But mostly it was used as a 90+ chat room that no one could turn off, until they finally caved to complaints and added a toggle option.

I think at one point your Sage cooldown was tied to whether or not you had any red text on your legend page. I had been playing for like 4 years without any redtext when they made that change so I had like a 90 second cooldown on it. I think the default was like 2 or 3 minutes?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Haha I played Dark Ages when it had a monthly fee. The playerbase was a bunch of entitled shitbirds.

It's still being updated too: http://darkages.com/

I did as well. I played before they added the new continent. I made the mistake of being a monk and then being a druid. At least I started the game early enough to get all my player disciples.

Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Someone should post about star wars galaxy. I always love hearing about that game. Like how jedis took a long time to become and we're walking God's but had permanent death.

Raph Koster (aka holocron the swg designer) recently blogged about details of the making of the game. It was really more interesting than I thought.

For instance, they used procedural generation for much of the overland maps to meet the size requirements of the time. ( http://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/20/swgs-dynamic-world )

He even goes into a alternative ideas about how they were going to implement the jedi. His original that never went through was that jedi were a sort of hardcore, permadeath mode that anyone could try. This never was implemented, though. ( http://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/ )

His post about the crafting system used was also interesting.

Edit: a nostalgia thread without everquest? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym9hIEbnijw

Octave fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 26, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Nexal posted:

So did you ever manage to fish up a Flameblade?

No. :negative:

I did marry a guy just so I could use the wedding band to teleport to dungeons way above my level so I could stand there leeching XP, but then they made it so it actually recognized your level and locked you out.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Anoia posted:

No. :negative:

I did marry a guy just so I could use the wedding band to teleport to dungeons way above my level so I could stand there leeching XP, but then they made it so it actually recognized your level and locked you out.

This game does the season events right. They aren't the same poo poo every single year like in other mmorgps.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nexal posted:

This game does the season events right. They aren't the same poo poo every single year like in other mmorgps.
FF14 does different events every year so far, with NPCs recognising you from when you helped them in previous years. :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I wish I could remember the name of it, but it was one of a dozen awful free to play MMORPGS in the early 2000s. Isometric view and grid movement, and I remember mining involved going into caves and mining out grids one by one, creating little paths through the mine, in a vaguely minecraft way. I remember there was a good grinding spot that involved fighting some demons that spawned out of pentagrams or some poo poo? and had like, half hour respawns to enter the area or something. It was maybe browser based?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
WAR 1-20 was the best part of that game. The worst part was they spread it too thin. Game was already dead by the time they started condensing it.

Too many servers, too many zones, too many levels, inefficient map design...

The low level areas had some places that would be great for both factions, like the dwarven city in Barak Varr - that was perfect for pvp but only had content for Chaos. Both capitals had great atmosphere but not much content because originally there were six of them planned. no game needs that many capitals

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 27, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Jackard posted:

WAR 1-20 was the best part of that game. The worst part was they spread it too thin. Game was already dead by the time they started condensing it.

Too many servers, too many zones, too many levels, inefficient map design...

The low level areas had some places that would be great for both factions, like the dwarven city in Barak Varr - that was perfect for pvp but only had content for Chaos. Both capitals had great atmosphere but not much content because originally there were six of them planned. no game needs that many capitals

Nah, the best part was definitely 2 or 3 sorcs or bright wizards having enough damage to kill like 30 people in 3 seconds at max level

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

Nah, the best part was definitely 2 or 3 sorcs or bright wizards having enough damage to kill like 30 people in 3 seconds at max level

Goes back to the hosed up coefficients.

Should I nuke a single target for 3k? Or every target for 2.5k?

Hint: They chose the AoE.

And as a bonus the AoE nuke didn't require Line of Sight. Because :downs:.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nah, bright wizards were fantastic even at level ten. So were warrior priests, witchhunters, runepriests and kotbs.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 27, 2015

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Minrad posted:

I wish I could remember the name of it, but it was one of a dozen awful free to play MMORPGS in the early 2000s. Isometric view and grid movement, and I remember mining involved going into caves and mining out grids one by one, creating little paths through the mine, in a vaguely minecraft way. I remember there was a good grinding spot that involved fighting some demons that spawned out of pentagrams or some poo poo? and had like, half hour respawns to enter the area or something. It was maybe browser based?

Astonia 3. I still play Astonia 2 quite a bit, it's older and even more lovely!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm gonna go against the grain and say 12-21 was the better bracket in WAR. Sure it took a bit longer to get there, but everyone had more options without having too many, and the maps were still good.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Countblanc posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and say 12-21 was the better bracket in WAR. Sure it took a bit longer to get there, but everyone had more options without having too many, and the maps were still good.

The most fun I had in WAR was Mourkain Temple using a Shadow Warrior because Mythic didn't understand how easily exploitable AE was (see: BW/sorc). I forget the specifics but I remember 3 skills that made me literally do more damage than the rest of the match combined: AE arrows, +crit%, and energy back on crit. Because class balance. Once I hit 21 on that guy, I switched to the elf tank class (name escapes me) with the 3-hit combo class mechanic, and of course hits 2 and 3 were AEs, so I was doing BW damage except I couldn't die.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The high elf tank owned really hard, it was really fun to drop giant magic damage combos on people and they had some good buffs.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I remember the warrior priest was fun, and the dwarven runepriest was really powerful, but nothing about whatever it was the elves had.

There was the archer and the melee pet class, but the rest were forgettable

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
My favorite thing about WAR was they didn't have a dance emote and if you typed /dance there was just a line that your character refused to do it.

Okay, really they just couldn't be bothered, but I liked that little touch.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Nostalgia: WAR edition!

Best part of WAR was hitting cap and starting to explore the side dungeons/incompleted content. There was this frozen prison thing a group of goons found (Xae weren't you a part of this?) and one of the drops utilized an older loot table. At some point, spell disruption was a % addition instead of an integer on the newer items, and I had a Magus staff drop with 80% disrupt.

Was standing in BW aoes all day long and rifting dudes together with 80% of spells missing and another 50% or something mitigation on top of it since I built super tanky.

That lasted a little over a month?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

shirunei posted:

Astonia 3. I still play Astonia 2 quite a bit, it's older and even more lovely!

Holy poo poo, thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRfhIAhUYXQ

The complete lack of music and really loud sound effects

:allears:

Minera fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 28, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Minrad posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRfhIAhUYXQ

The complete lack of music and really loud sound effects

:allears:

I looked into this game out of curiosity and it's still running despite no forum posts in 4 months and 0 players online.

MMORPG ghost towns, someone make the documentary.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 28, 2015

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

Someone should post about star wars galaxy. I always love hearing about that game. Like how jedis took a long time to become and we're walking God's but had permanent death.

I only played it for a bit but it was after the nge which was what ruined it. Such a shame as its the only other mmo besides eve oline to do sandbox world somewhat successful.

Edit: one of the reasons ffxiv 1.0 was awful.

lol the zone is literally called "north forest"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lux Aeterna posted:

Nostalgia: WAR edition!

Best part of WAR was hitting cap and starting to explore the side dungeons/incompleted content. There was this frozen prison thing a group of goons found (Xae weren't you a part of this?) and one of the drops utilized an older loot table. At some point, spell disruption was a % addition instead of an integer on the newer items, and I had a Magus staff drop with 80% disrupt.

Was standing in BW aoes all day long and rifting dudes together with 80% of spells missing and another 50% or something mitigation on top of it since I built super tanky.

That lasted a little over a month?

I don't think I was there for that. I was part of the group that found you could bug almost every single boss fight in WAR by standing on a tree. Anything that got you one pixel off the ground let you ignore most boss mechanics.

I also found an unlimited Tactics bug.

"Add Tactic Slot" was character the default effect or something. If you went to a merchant to buy a tactic, switched the tabs in the right order you could bug the menu and "buy" a null "Tactic" that executed the default of "Add tactic slot"

They fixed it in the first week, but it took them another 6 months to catch the second related bug that let you unlock the Tactic slots earlier.

RIP Bane Shield. For like a month T4 was tolerable (for Chaos) because of Bane Shield. It was an Damage Shield, with the right Tactics you had almost 100% uptime was AoE and stacked.

It didn't do crap for damage. Unless you had a ton of Chosen cycling it and you could get a tankwall up that made anyone AoEing it each 100+ procs of it at once. Once that got nerfed it was Rain of Fire City.

I honestly wonder if they had the balls to nerf RoF/PoS a year earlier if the game would still be around.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Yeah that would have required firing the lead powers designer since anytime anyone mentioned a BW he went full mast and would defend his asymmetric class balance as being successful.

I think the big issue at the end of the day was order getting IBs and BWs and winning 2/3 of the trifecta right then and there. Oh and the game was poo poo too but it was my first real MMO so I can't fault it for that.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Lux Aeterna posted:

Yeah that would have required firing the lead powers designer since anytime anyone mentioned a BW he went full mast and would defend his asymmetric class balance as being successful.

I think the big issue at the end of the day was order getting IBs and BWs and winning 2/3 of the trifecta right then and there. Oh and the game was poo poo too but it was my first real MMO so I can't fault it for that.

Well Chosen+Sorc was basically the same thing. I mean I remember Order equivalents being better, but not to the degree that it would influence things too much unless it was like a 6v6 vs two evenly matched groups.

The best part of WAR balance was how half the classes were completely 100% irrelevant to the point that they might as well have had an "I"M HELPING" sign above their heads.

Off the top of my head, BW/IB/KOTBS/Slayer/WP and Sorc/Choppa/Chosen/DOK, everything else was only useful for 1 ability (guard, instant res, magnet etc) or did absolutely nothing (lol White lion)

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 29, 2015

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

I only played it for a bit but it was after the nge which was what ruined it. Such a shame as its the only other mmo besides eve oline to do sandbox world somewhat successful.

Edit: one of the reasons ffxiv 1.0 was awful.

this map gave me PTSD

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I played a Black Orc, I got real salty when they never added the "your orc gets bigger as they level up" feature.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Pierson posted:

My turn. It isn't dead but for a lot of us the experience that hooked us is probably something that can never be resurrected, so I'm going to mention Ragnarok Online.

RO is fun to go back to now and then. Hop on a high rate server and just experience it all again super fast. Your post kind of gave me the itch but there doesn't see to be an SA thread or group on RO right now. A shame.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

THE PWNER posted:

I looked into this game out of curiosity and it's still running despite no forum posts in 4 months and 0 players online.

MMORPG ghost towns, someone make the documentary.

I believe this is more due to the original dev releasing the source code to the game than lack of interest. Why pay for something you can get for free now?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Liquid Communism posted:

City. Of. Heroes.

There are others but this is the grandaddy. Nothing has come close to replacing this game. :negative:

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

WarLocke posted:

There are others but this is the grandaddy. Nothing has come close to replacing this game. :negative:

Truth. CoH got me through a very, very tough time in my life. I was deployed when the game sunset, and even though there was no way I could have helped that, I still regret not being there for the end.

I keep hoping that someone, somehow, will bring it back, despite knowing it'll never happen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do you guys ever listen to the menu theme on YouTube just for the nostalgia rush?

It's my drug, it's my Vietnam.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

jymbojones posted:

Truth. CoH got me through a very, very tough time in my life. I was deployed when the game sunset, and even though there was no way I could have helped that, I still regret not being there for the end.

I keep hoping that someone, somehow, will bring it back, despite knowing it'll never happen.

What was so good about that game?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Holyshoot posted:

What was so good about that game?

Don't open this floodgate.
People like me will start gushing worse than Firefly fanatics.

Edit:
Hugely customizable characters (be a robot girl that casts magic who cares), very interesting classes (some morph, some command armies, some control plants and weather...), very casual friendly, super movement powers (that DCUO refined), a pretty good sense of humor, solid writing and the ability to create your own fanfic in the form of missions that everyone else could play.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 1, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm still waiting for another MMO to capture the magic of Everquest without being a massive pile of poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I'm still waiting for another MMO to capture the magic of Everquest without being a massive pile of poo poo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

signalnoise posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701175

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

may i point yo uto pantheon rise of the fallen??

Just ask forums regular Node for all the deets on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

• Locked thread