Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Laughing Dog, in shooting a burst past the various environmental and antipollution chems, causes a chain reaction between compounds that science never dared mix before. The end result could probably best be described as purple sudsy metal, which sprays across the ganger and Wanda. Fortunately for the both of them, this new concoction doesn't appear to be caustic or immediately dangerous.

Unfortunately for the ganger, the actual bullets do the job well enough on their own. As he slumps to the floor, unconscious and missing a fair amount of blood (some of which now decorates the countertop), his last thoughts are righteous anger that some rear end in a top hat intruded on what was single combat, and how he totally should have won.

Meanwhile, on the Astral Plane, an air spirit arrives! Nobody (on the runner side) but Wraith actually know this, but there it is! Summoning is a Complex Action and takes your whole turn this initiative pass. Next pass, you can tell it to Materialize and join combat using your two simple actions. That's when it would roll initiative, but I'll let you keep the 25 if you like. Note that this will get knocked to 15 because one init pass will have taken place by then.

Aggro is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
"Big" Richard Mayfield, AKA Aggro Edge: 2/2

Ignoring the katana-dude who just went down, Aggro advances and focuses on the would-be muggers, slipping the short barreled shotgun out of his jacket and firing at two of them while taking cover behind the shelving.

"You want taxes? Alright - here you go! Paid up in full!"

Move to whichever aisle is closest where I can hit him, take cover, and quick draw!

Quick Draw (Only need two hits, PRETTY SURE I GOT THIS): 17d6t5 4
Medium Spread lets me hit two of them of they're within 2 meters (which I assume they are); I'll hit their leader and one of the hanger ons. They get +4 armor, but -3 dodge.
Medium Spread to hit two; 10P: 19d6t5 10
Accuracy limits it to "only" 7 hits :getin:.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The ganger on the left of the 'king of the sprawl' is barely more than a kid; even nuyen says he hasn't even seen his sweet sixteen yet. The armor jacket that probably has the gang's logo on the back looks almost comical on such a runt; street life has yet to make this kid hard, and it shows. But that same comical jacket absorbs the brunt of the blast, or at least what part extends out to him. Mechanics because who cares about secret info, these guys are deaders: No hits on the dodge but 9 hits on 20 dice keep him alive, but on -3 from wound mods which, if I'm not mistaken, is physical damage.

The gang leader, Catcher by name but not that he introduced himself that way, also takes the blast standing up. Who would have thought that uniform ego would actually be saving their lives tonight? 3 hits to dodge, but only 6 on the soak roll. He is likewise on -3 from physical damage.

Less importantly but more spectacularly, several shotgun pellets tear through the bolts securing the shelf separating aisles 1 and 3. The shelf tips toward the storefront, spilling chemicals onto the floor of aisle 1. This mix, unlike the previous accidental chemistry, does indeed prove highly reactive. Preambled by an almost inaudible hiss, several small explosions occur back to back, causing the whole shelf to collapse. Chems of all textures splash across the trio of gangers, along with fragments of their former containers, in a spray of green, sticky metal that - if the smoke is any indication - immediately proves caustic. They howl in pain and anger but still somehow manage to keep their feet, though it doesn't look like for much longer. The area in front of the doors is now also difficult terrain to cross, with the same double movement penalty as in Area A.

Ayesha already acted; Artyomov is up.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
If either took more damage than their physical limit (they probably both did), they get knocked over from the damage, as per Core p. 194. Their inits are also both decreased by 3.

It's stun damage if the total damage dealt (before soak) is less than their total armor. So yeah, I'm p sure it's physical.

Speaking of, do you think it would be game-ruining to just post the init list in the thread?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 24, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rick Artyomov

Alright, on second thought, giant orc man probably isn't a gang banger. In fact, it was pretty easy to tell in this situation.

Rick runs to the wall near the counter and takes cover. Rick also attempts to Quickdraw and fire.

Quickdraw!: 5d6t5 3

:shepface: And bafflingly succeeds.

Just putting this here to make sure I understand the combat roll correctly, if I gently caress this up I'll reroll. Pistols Skill(3) + Agility(2) + Smartlink bonus = 7, also whoops apparently the smartlink overrides the laser sight, meaning the laser sight is just there. I guess if I lose my glasses somehow I can still get a +1. Let's squeeze off a couple shots at the biggest gangbanger.

Blast the biggest jerk: 7d6t5 4

With that said, I'm starting to notice the many mistakes I made during character gen, so it's a learning experience.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
The smartlink only instills +1, since it's in glasses. I'm a big fan of truncating, which would leave you at 3 hits. If my count's right, there's only one guy up. Two are alive but on their asses, and one is dead.

SR5 Core, p. 433 posted:

A wireless smartlink provides a dice pool bonus to all attacks with the weapon: +1 if you’re using gear with a smartlink or +2 if you’re using an augmentation for which you paid Essence. Ejecting a clip and changing fire modes are Free Actions.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 24, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
drat, so close to making even a single post without screwing up in some way :froggonk: If Circlmastr's cool with it, I'll go with the truncated 3 hits.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The last ganger standing at the door, in full-length synth-fut coat, is far too preoccupied with the horrific mess of his comrades and the spillage to do much dodging. Fortunately, his armored coat does a lot of work. No dodge hits but 7 hits on the soak gives him 3 boxes of stun damage.

Unfortunately, the shot damages the synth-fur and exposes some of the cheap adhesive to the wonderful science experiment going on down by the door. The dried adhesive, formerly a white powder, turns purple and begins to smell like rotten eggs - no, more like rotten EggTreat™ powdered egg substitute. The ring of purple around the bullet impact site stands out from the fur in a way that almost looks pretty cool... until the chemical mixture combusts and sets the patch of synth-fur on fire. Not enough to do any damage through the coat, but certainly enough to make the poor guy freak out somewhat.

Things are looking well in hand for Team Not-Gangers (except for Wanda, who is sprayed with a decent amount of debris and the elf poser's blood). Unfortunately for Artyomov, it turns out Team Not-Ganger isn't as big as he might have thought. That girl in the cutoffs, who was sitting on the counter in Area E and making eyes at people? Now she's only got eyes for Rick, and they're being used to aim an HK-227 she produces from her long coat. "That's my boyfriend, drek-head!"

She scores 5 hits on a burst, giving Rick a -2 penalty to defend. And given positioning, I think it's fair to say you don't have cover from her.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rick Artyomov

"God dammit, I hate being right." Rick thought, staring down the gun pointed at him.

First things first, defense roll. (REA 2 + INT 5 - defense penalty 2)

Token Defense Attempt: 5d6t5 1

And blew it. Sweet.

Damage time. The HK-227 has a DV of 7, making the total modified DV 11. Rick is a hundred different kinds of hosed, so I'll use a point of edge to add my edge amount to my pool.

BOD 4 + Armour 8 + EDG 7 = 19 :v:

Supersoaker: 19d6t5 7

Rule of 6 comes into play, so I get to reroll the four sixes I got.

Supersoaker Round 2: 4d6t5 0

:negative:
That's four damage to my physical damage track, leaving me with 6/10 if I did all the calculations right.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 25, 2015

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
(Please do not call it "torching." That makes it sound like you're saying you're "burning" Edge, and that's when you permanently lower your edge to ensure a success.)

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 25, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Unknown Quantity posted:

(Please do not call it "torching." I believe that's when you permanently lower your edge to ensure a success.)

(poo poo, edited)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

As the bullets slam into Rick, Rick likewise slams into the shelf. Not enough to hurt himself, but plenty to knock a large row of plasti-packed fruits onto himself and the floor. Either the packaging wasn't exactly up to spec, or the packages themselves aren't exactly fresh, as at least half burst open, spilling their contents onto Rick and the rest of aisle 17. Nothing like a nice coating of red, sticky plastic to close up bullet wounds, right? And eyes, too. Aisle 17 is now difficult terrain, with the double movement cost. Rick also has a -2 dice pool penalty to all actions. The gangers by the door have the same penalty but other things to worry about, like dying.

"Fraggin' hell, SlicerDicer! Everyone, get out!" The self-proclaimed King of he Sprawl, sprawled out as he is, can do little more than blindly fire at the guy who shot him as he scramble-crawls out the door. His shot comes up empty, what with the massive dice pool penalties he's suffering.

The synth-fur ganger, still on his feet and still a bit on fire, howls like a wolf and fires off a Manabolt at Artyomov before stumbling out of the store after the leader. Danaru gets to roll Willpower to resist a whopping 1 hit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rick Artyomov

"Alright, I'm covered in red goop, I'm pretty sure I have a hole or two in my chest, but at least this stuff isn't caustic like the crap that hit those assholes." Rick thought, mentally preparing himself for the oncoming bolt.

Resist Manabolt (Forgot the -2 penalty): 3d6t5 1

I actually forgot the -2 penalty the first time I rolled, I totally thought I'd miss entirely this time.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Thought: if we all knew the initiative order and were able to declare our actions ahead of time, this whole thing would move faster.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Viva Miriya posted:

Thought: if we all knew the initiative order and were able to declare our actions ahead of time, this whole thing would move faster.

True, but before the gangers started taking wound penalties they were intermingled in order with the slower runners. And this clearly isn't going to enter a second combat turn (nor should it).

Team Not-Ganger shrinks suddenly further, as a human with a shaved head dotted with datajacks simply runs out. "Talk to you later!" is all he says... directed toward the arcade machines in area B. He doesn't even stop to help the gang's runt, who watches his 'comrade' go by with a look of pain that can't just be from his injuries. All he can do is drag himself after his fearless leader, not even bothering to fire the pistol in his hand.

The only ganger left on scene is the woman in area E/F, and everyone goes ahead of her. I doubt order matters, but it's air spirit/Laughing Dog/Wraith/Aggro/Ayesha/Artyomov.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"You lucked out - I'm feelin' kind."

With but a thought the smartgun tightens the choke as it's fired again - this time far more carefully aimed. The SMG flies out of her hand - as does a small amount of actual hand - as the flechettes punch their way through.

"Leave it and get out of here. Next one's going for your face. And get a new boyfriend."

Free -> Change choke to Narrow
Simple -> Called Shot (fletchette special attack, R&G p.117)
Simple -> FIRE!

Nasty Finger Prick: 15d6t5 4
-1 dodge. If it hits, she loses the gun as it's blasted out of her hands. After that she soaks the 11P, +4 armor for normal, but I can only do a max of 2DR after she's done soaking.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The ganger drops her SMG with a yelp, and quickly flees out the door before Aggro changes his mind or anyone else on Team Not-Ganger objects.

And so, the gang has - for the moment, and with the exception of a certain elf poser - escaped to gang another day. But the efforts of the runners have saved at least three quarters of a Stuffer Shack. The dwarf employee, who barely had time to scramble to cover before the fight was over, stands up and surveys the damage with a look on his face that suggests he's seen this sort of chaos before.

"Well, uh, I'd better call Knight Errant to clean up the body. Thanks for your help, uh, guys, but I expect you'll want to, uh, get going before KE arrives. Feel free to help yourself to, uh, anything still edible on your way out."

Bullet holes, exploded condiments, spilled food, the noxious smell of chemical solvents on the floor, a fresh corpse by the checkout counter... In other words, everything is normal for a Stuffer Shack at 4 a.m.

For surviving the food fight, everyone receives 1 Karma. For successfully fighting off the incredibly not-dangerous Chiller Thrillers, everyone receives 1 Karma. And why not, for putting up with my mistakes and other poo poo, everyone receives 1 more Karma.

Feel free to grab what you want by way of loot, within reason (even if you could lift the Soya-Sloppies machine, the manager might not appreciate you going that far with his offer). Introduce yourselves, bond over the guy you slapped and shot, et cetera.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Laughing Dog

Free breakfast and a bonus? Wonderful!

"Das ist wunderbar! Danke."

Leon trades his bag of donuts in for a prepackaged boxed dozen donuts and grabs a first aid kit off the shelf. Both because he could use one and because of the poor fool who got injured in the firefight. He approaches him and gives a smile.

"Are you alright? You certainly seemed to luck out, nothing looks broken..." Looking back to the troll, he gives him a thumbs up. "Und du! Du ist eine Kampfmachine! Bravo!"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ayesha
Ayesha grabs what she came for: a hot dog and a slushie. "Thanks for the save omae" Ayesha days to Laughing Dog before leaving the stuffer shack to catch a cab ride home.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 27, 2015

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Since my character was completely uninvolved in the combat, do I get rewarded at all?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Everyone gets 3 Karma.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rick Artyomov

Rick forced a smile. "Yeah, I'm good, I think. I'm pretty sure most of this isn't blood." Rick coughed out. It felt like he got hit by a truck, but the armoured clothes did their job and kept him alive.

Rick grabbed himself the hotdog he came here for. "So uh, I gotta admit I'm new around town. You guys see stuff like this often?" he asked the remaining runners.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Aggro just grabs his burrito and the soycaff.

"Call me Aggro. This sorta thing's regular in my line of work, though the location, that's a bit different. poo poo, you need to see a street doc or something?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Lilith "Wraith" Wright

Lilith collects the least-suspect bag of gluten-free cookies and sighs, moving to the front counter. All that work, and the spirit didn't even get to play. At least she had managed to stop it from manifesting before everything went down. She approached the front of the counter, through the mess, and looked at the now-worse-off shop owner. "Wow, that was pretty intense, wasn't it? Good thing you had all these brutes with guns in the shop when it went down. By the way, I'd like to purchase this. I didn't get involved in the fight or anything, so I'd feel wrong taking whatever without paying for it. That's, what, 8 nuyen? Here's a ten, keep the change. Looks like you could use it."

She fishes out a 10-nuyen bill from her clutch and slides it across the counter, then looks at the newly-forged friendship between the gunman. She grins and asks, "So, you always pack so heavy to visit the stuffer shack?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Laughing Dog

Seeing that Rick isn't in any immediate danger, he flashes the items he intends to take with him and looks over to the previously grumpy lady. "Nein. I am also, how you say, new to this region, but this? I am used to worse and have packed stronger things. Just ask me about the time I went to Zanzibar." Going back to Rick, he puts the bag over his shoulder. "You may call me Leon. Perhaps we shall be meeting again?"

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

It's late in the evening, the day after your little food fight. Your commlink buzzes to life with a private message, audio and video. A Native American dwarf grins out from the feed. He wears denim from head to toe with the sleeves cut off his jacket. Across one bicep is a nano-tat proclaiming “I <3 mayhem." “Hullo, friends. I'm Reno Pyatt and I've got an opportunity for you. Simple job, milk run really. Shouldn't be too difficult for runners of your caliber. I need to know within the hour if you're interested. I've tagged my number to the end of this feed. If you're in, I'll give you the meeting specs when you call back."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

The ork gives a rueful grin as he rubs his chin. Milk run? Ain't no fraggin' thing. Still though, he could use some cash...

"Aggro here. I'm in."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Laughing Dog

Oh? Ein Job fur mich? Und das ist eine Milkejob? Ja. An easy job for easy pay, he can do this. Not to mention, his rent's going to be due soon, so he may as well get it out of the way a few weeks early.

"Hallo! You are requesting mein services, ja? I am up for the job."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rick Artyomov

Rick grimaced, unconsciously touching his bruised chest with his hand. He was lucky to get away without any real injuries the day before, but this time he might not be so lucky. Probably best to turn this down.

...On the other hand, this guy somehow managed to track him down enough to communicate him. That kind of thing is easy, but only for someone with major resources. Major resources that he might be willing to part with if Rick went on this 'milk run'.

Macreight would, of course, tell Rick to slot off and keep his damned head down, but Macreight wasn't around, was he?

"This is Artyomov. Give me a time and a place."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Lilith "Wraith" Wright

Lilith climbs out of bed ten minutes after the hour timeframe, annoyed at her phone going off. When she read the message, though, she sent back a hurried message. <<poo poo, sorry, I was asleep. You still have a spot open? I'm on the way!>>

So she flew out of bed, got her ensemble together, and rushed out the door. She was standing at the bus stop, hope for a timely bus and a timely response. Being late to a party like this was always a bad move...

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

"Fantastic. Meet me at my place in one hour."

In the interest of moving things along, I'll take some pre-meet research as given. I doubt anyone's going to want to spend Edge on this, but if you do, let me know.

Digging up info on Reno Pyatt reveals the following:

Laughing Dog: You haven't heard of Reno Pyatt and don't know where to look, but a quick Matrix search reveals the address for "Reno's Place", a bar and grill, down on Battery Street and Fourth Avenue.

Wraith: Reno owns a bar and grill (Reno's) down on Battery Street and Fourth Avenue. He's a retired combat biker. The last group that botched a job for Reno was never seen again.

Aggro: Reno owns a bar and grill (Reno's) down on Battery Street and Fourth Avenue. He's a retired combat biker. The last group that botched a job for Reno was never seen again.

Rick: Reno owns a bar and grill (Reno's) down on Battery Street and Fourth Avenue. He's a retired combat biker.

If you want more info, cite the contact you wish to use. Wraith, you have the option of astral scouting or asking a spirit as well.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Lilith shows up without complaint. Not going to do hardcore astral scouting, but I am going to give the place a good once-over from across the street before I go in.

Astral Perception: 8d6t5 2

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog arrives well enough on time. He took a quick moment to look up some reviews and see what kind of stouts they got there. No sense leaving a bar empty-handed, plus the better the stock, the more money the Johnson probably has.

BEER KNOWLEDGE: 9d6t5 5

Sorry about that, had a few delays in registering for classes. I'm 100% free now though!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rick Artyomov

It looked fair enough, but maybe caution was a good idea for this one. The city had already proven it wasn't a forgiving place.

"Macreight knows his poo poo, he'd probably know whether or not this guy's legit." Rick thought. If he didn't know he might have a connection that does. He'd just have to avoid bringing up the Stuffer Shack incident...

Rick contacts MacReight 'The Cleaner' (4, 2) regarding information on Reno Pyatt

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Sorry if you were waiting on me; I was ok with not contacting anyone and just rolling into the mission hahaha! Also I only have one contact so...

Aggro sends a message to one Matrix figure known as Mr Beige.

[ Beige - Aggro. Got an offer from one 'Reno Pyatt.' Claiming a milk run. Former combat biker, last group who ran for him went off the grid; probably meat for Tamanous. How's his rep? ]

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Wraith: Reno's is covered with astral barriers. The only portions of the restaurant not covered are the tables right outside the front door.

Laughing Dog: The fare on offer is on the low end, for your tastes. Almost everything on tap is synthahol, and the real stuff is the bargain basement level of real that a wage-slave can afford to drink from time to time.

Rick: Reno's is one of the hotspots of the shadowrunner community. So long as a runner looks like he belongs, Reno's is a great place to meet Mr. Johnson or a fixer. The place is invite only. No wage-slaves. Weapons and vendettas are checked at the door. No exceptions. Anyone starting a fight gets blacklisted and banned for life. Reno himself is a well-known fixer.

Aggro: Reno's is a cheap place for the average wage-slave to catch a lunch break. Dress code is street casual. Shirt and shoes required. The food is mediocre, but you get what you pay for. Any flavor drug or BTL chip is available for the right price. Reno's a well-known fixer..

Moving ahead to your arrival...

Reno's is clean, given that it's a low-end bar and grill. The floors are freshly swept, the few empty tables wiped down. The smell of beer, smoke, and charred meat fills the air. The wait staff bustles back and forth, sewing members of all races with equal attention. The bouncer stops you as you enter, examining you with a careful eye. He shakes his head at you, points to a box near the door, and says “Weapons and vendettas get checked at the door. You'll get ‘em back when you're done. But there's no fighting allowed here, at all. Understand?" The box in question has a number of weapons already surrendered and a second glance reveals that the other patrons aren't wearing weapons either. After depositing any (non-hidden) weapons, he lets you pass. "Your party is in the back. Last table on the left near the bar."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Palming (concealment): 12d6t5 5

After making a big bluster about his only guns were the ones on his arms (while keeping his shorter one safe inside his coat), he happily janders in towards the table, stopping only to order a drink along the way. He gives a quick intro as he sits.

"Name's Alamo Joe, at least for tonight, but you can call me Aggro. Little birdie told me you might have some work that needs doing. Good news is, I'm real good at doing all kinds of work."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Laughing Dog

Leon opts to check his weapons at the door. No reason to pack heat just yet. He is pleasantly surprised to find a familiar face as he heads inside and finds a seat alongside Aggro.

"Ah, if it isn't Herr Kampfmachine from the other day. Good to be seeing you." He looks over at the troll's conversation partner. "I am a fan of keeping things quiet, at least until opportunity presents itself, but I am quite, how you say, flexible."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rick Artyomov

If this place was run by a well known fixer, the guy no doubt has the firepower to back that up. Rick handed over his Predator and entered. It was far from the scuzziest bar he'd ever been in.

Over at a table sat the giant ork and the german dude that had been at the Stuffer Shack. They must have gotten the same call. Rick sits down at the table, giving a nod to the other two gentlemen, and looked to the unfamiliar person at the table. "So, what's the situation?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Sorry for the noposting; Wraith just comes in and sits down, gets ready for the conversation. Not much else to say.

• Locked thread