Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

lonelywurm posted:

I decided to go understated and tasteful for Marc Garneau, Wizaaaaaard of Spaaaaaaaaace!

This is fantastic. They're all fantastic. Canada thread best thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So this afternoon on Facebook I saw one of my friends (not the one I have mentioned before) had signed a petition for the Right of Repeal on the NDP government.

In this petition they note that the NDP government has no budget yet, but have already spent $6 billion (false, absolutely false) and they have filled their cabinet and committees with activists. I am assuming this petition was started by upset Wildrose and PC voters because I don't see how another election will do anything and once again the same misinformation is being stated as hard facts.

And here I thought my friends were smart

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Excellent. Go in OP?

Seems a little weird to put all the losers from the leadership races into the OP.

I mean, I guess someone could photoshop up Brian Topp, Peggy Nash, Nathan Cullen, Paul Dewar, Martin Singh, Niki Ashton, Joyce Murray, Martha Hall Findlay, Martin Cauchon, Deborah Coyne and Karen McCrimmon. That's a pretty big job and a whole lot of OP space though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

BGrifter posted:

Seems a little weird to put all the losers from the leadership races into the OP.

I mean, I guess someone could photoshop up Brian Topp, Peggy Nash, Nathan Cullen, Paul Dewar, Martin Singh, Niki Ashton, Joyce Murray, Martha Hall Findlay, Martin Cauchon, Deborah Coyne and Karen McCrimmon. That's a pretty big job and a whole lot of OP space though.
He's also an MP in a contested riding. He was in the OP of the general thread. He is the 2nd most visible LPC elected official. He's the first Canadian in space.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

bunnyofdoom posted:

He's also an MP in a contested riding. He was in the OP of the general thread. He is the 2nd most visible LPC elected official. He's the first Canadian in space.

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I wouldn't put the second most visible NDP MP in either. (Angus? Cullen? Maybe Julian?) It's nothing personal, Garneau just isn't that relevant in an OP designed to catch non-Canadians up on the major players.

Maybe once Trudeau is ousted after the election Garneau can have his turn?

(Seriously glad to have you back Bunny)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Morroque posted:

Should it then be worthwhile that all the polls are saying the centrist party is so small right now be an important thing even in that situation? It would suggest that the gap between right wing and the left wing, now for whatever reason, is no longer bridgeable; that Harper's governance is provoking a stronger reaction against it. Would that at least be a proper reading of the polls right now?

I wouldn't go that far. It's about the leaders trying to position themselves as an alternative to Harper. The polls do show that Mulcair is doing a better job of it than Trudeau at the moment, but that's about all you can get from looking at a few months of polling data. If the Liberals lose this election as badly as they lost the last one, then yeah, they'll be in trouble.

Aces High posted:

So this afternoon on Facebook I saw one of my friends (not the one I have mentioned before) had signed a petition for the Right of Repeal on the NDP government.

In this petition they note that the NDP government has no budget yet, but have already spent $6 billion (false, absolutely false) and they have filled their cabinet and committees with activists. I am assuming this petition was started by upset Wildrose and PC voters because I don't see how another election will do anything and once again the same misinformation is being stated as hard facts.

And here I thought my friends were smart

Curse these New Democrats, they have stuffed the cabinet with New Democrats! :bahgawd:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

OSI bean dip posted:

We're missing Christy the Clown and Brad Wall.

Giving Christy Clark space in the OP might be giving her too much credit. Why not just include the CEO of Teck?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

Garneau should've been the leader. He could respond to the "just not ready" stuff with, "I've been to space, bitches! What have you done?"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

PT6A posted:

Garneau should've been the leader. He could respond to the "just not ready" stuff with, "I've been to space, bitches! What have you done?"

Yeah he was the better leadership candidate by a country mile. As a partisan I'm kinda glad he didn't win.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Solid OP. One more thing with Wynne and the OLP that may affect the middle class kid having voters is that we're set to go into some pretty harsh province wide teacher strike/work-to-rule starting in about 5-6 weeks. jm20 usually has some good insight into that though, maybe there's some dealings going on behind the scenes.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Great OP and gently caress Harper.

I love Canada. Who am I supposed to vote for? NDP or Liberal?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Rocks posted:

Depends on what riding you'll be voting in.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

Then it would've been something along the lines of "Garneau: His Head is Still in the Clouds." Not to mention that one time a Conservative MP evaded a question of his about sexual harassment in the armed forces by just singing Space Oddity at him.

Honestly, it worries me that the CPC's messaging with regards to Trudeau as the "just not ready" thing has gotten so much traction. I get that there was a hint of truth about it in how the Liberals want to lead with a legacy candidate and not one that could withstand attack, but it still suggests that the CPC is in control of the situation and they shouldn't be. Are there any actually effective counter-messages out there? Anything to the tune of "Harper's Canada is not Your Canada" or something like that?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rocks posted:

NDP.

Sounds like Eve Adams is having a well deserved pretty rough day and will be ending her career on the noble task of making Trudeau look like a jackass. The results are supposed to be tabulated at 7pm but I can't find them anywhere yet. She lost.

quote:

“I urge you today for the sake of the party, if you love the Liberal party, please withdraw,” the man said.

“Shame!” and “Sit down!” others retorted.

Adams, who crossed the floor from the Conservatives in February to be welcomed personally by Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, ignored the heckle.

She paid a passing nod to her only rival for the Eglinton-Lawrence candidacy, lawyer Marco Mendicino, before stressing her political credentials.

“I’m a fighter. That’s pretty clear. I will fight harder for you than Joe Oliver ever will,” Adams told the crowd.

“I’m a fighter, I’m progressive, I’m also a young mom, a full-time mom.”

Adams pledged to move into the riding if chosen and talked about her work ethic, but said nothing about her former party affiliation.

She also paid tribute to the Liberal leader, who both sides say has stayed out of the bitter nomination battle.

“Justin Trudeau has a vision,” she said. “He is the most inspired leader I have ever worked for.”

Her speech received mostly polite applause, in contrast to the standing ovation and chants of “Marco!” that greeted the end of her rival’s speech.

Postess with the Mostest has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Jul 27, 2015

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, the NDP had Mulcair and Notley, because she's premier in conservative heartland, and the Liberals had Trudeau and Wynne, because she's premier in the largest and most riding-dense province. The Tories had Harper and Poilievre, who isn't a premier, but the Tories don't have a premier in a key province this year unless we count Christy Clark. The representation does seem fair, though I can understand why anyone would rather have Garneau than Wynne right now.

Honestly, I just made it 'cause you asked and people like the Photoshops. Though I'm not sure how the various subjects would feel about any of them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rocks posted:

Does this appeal to you?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Needs a beard.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Rocks posted:

FPTP means that instead of voting for for what you want, you vote against what you don't want. So you need to figure out for your riding which candidate has the best chance of beating the conservative candidate.

Or you could just say gently caress it and vote your conscience.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Morroque posted:

Then it would've been something along the lines of "Garneau: His Head is Still in the Clouds."

I'm still 100% convinced it would have been "He didn't come back for you."

Ikantski posted:

NDP.

Sounds like Eve Adams is having a well deserved pretty rough day and will be ending her career on the noble task of making Trudeau look like a jackass. The results are supposed to be tabulated at 7pm but I can't find them anywhere yet. She lost.

Best news all day.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Thank gently caress.

:byewhore:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Michelle Rempel is my favourite Conservative.

(that link leads to:)

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thank gently caress.

:byewhore:

Grats~

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've tried to read a few things on it and I'm still confused about who eve adams is, what she did, and why anyone should care.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Whiskey Sours posted:

Giving Christy Clark space in the OP might be giving her too much credit. Why not just include the CEO of Teck?

Christy Clark has been weirdly almost completely absent this entire summer.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Rocks posted:

Unless the NDP somehow lose all of Quebec (which seems very unlikely) the Liberals have no possible way of winning, so you should probably vote NDP. Keep an eye on those Quebec polls...

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Femtosecond posted:

There was that yoga poo poo...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

Solid OP. One more thing with Wynne and the OLP that may affect the middle class kid having voters is that we're set to go into some pretty harsh province wide teacher strike/work-to-rule starting in about 5-6 weeks. jm20 usually has some good insight into that though, maybe there's some dealings going on behind the scenes.

The word passed along is :airquote: work to rule :airquote: with a reduction in non essential services and actions. Bitch please, there's going to be rotating strikes all over the province. A full on strike like '97/98 is unlikely as the unions are being demonized very effectively.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

ZShakespeare posted:

I've tried to read a few things on it and I'm still confused about who eve adams is, what she did, and why anyone should care.

She's about as close as you can get to the platonic ideal of a worthless waste of skin politician. Trudeau, presumably because he's not very bright, thought that this correctly exiled Conservative was big get and publicly endorsed her.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

She's about as close as you can get to the platonic ideal of a worthless waste of skin politician. Trudeau, presumably because he's not very bright, thought that this correctly exiled Conservative was big get and publicly endorsed her.
I'd imagine the narrative he was going for is that the Liberal Party is an alternative for the sort of people who might broadly consider themselves conservatives but who are sick of Harper's tyrannical bullshit.

Too bad it was Eve Adams.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

BGrifter posted:

Does this appeal to you?

I don't recognize this Doctor. Was this the one with the botched regeneration?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I still think Soudas was a more important consideration than Adams. It will be interesting to see where he oozes to the surface again.

It will be very useful for the Liberals to have someone like him who knows where the bodies are hidden. Unfortunately, he seems like the type that will quickly become more of a liability than he's worth.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lonelywurm posted:

The Tories had Harper and Poilievre, who isn't a premier, but the Tories don't have a premier in a key province this year unless we count Christy Clark.

You absolutely should consider Christy Clark a Conservative, regardless of what the name of the party is in BC.

Femtosecond posted:

This is 100% normal the last 5 years or so, and she likely doesn't help or hurt the federal Conservatives.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

ocrumsprug posted:

You absolutely should consider Christy Clark a Conservative, regardless of what the name of the party is in BC.
I do consider her a conservative. I don't think that she'll play a major role in the election the way Notley or Wynne might.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lonelywurm posted:

I do consider her a conservative. I don't think that she'll play a major role in the election the way Notley or Wynne might.

Last provincial election federal conservatives were stumping for her, though I also doubt the reverse would be welcome.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Christy Clark seems to me to be the sort of political operator that likes to keep options open. I would be surprised if she strays from neutrality into strongly supporting the Conservatives.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Femtosecond posted:

Christy Clark seems to me to be the sort of political operator that likes to keep options open. I would be surprised if she strays from neutrality into strongly supporting the Conservatives.

You mean this isn't painfully obvious? That she's in politics purely out of rational self interest?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

With both the Northern Gateway Pipeline issue and Transit Referendum her government's approach was to create distance and an illusion of objectivity by handing off the difficult problems to someone else and having them struggle with it. She's not going to stick her head out for anyone.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And you know what? She's going to be elected again the next time. This province is a loving dumpster fire. As bad as Clark is, the loving NDP are 10x worse.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Christy usually has good reason to keep a low profile; this summer it was her nightmare Translink referendum and caving on LNG taxes and that guy she made kill himself, but there's always something. The Ministry of Children and Families has been getting more kids killed/molested/whatever than usual lately, so that's probably the next thing she needs to avoid answering questions about. We certainly won't hear from her during the election.

MikeSevigny has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Christy Clark is the epitome of flimsy self serving politician that changers her parties rhetoric to whatever best suits the mood of the hour.

Nothing good ever comes from that and she will eternally gently caress everything about BC. Normally that would make me mad but the number of Vancouverites Ive talked to and seen lately being smug annoying shitlords bragging about the number of properties they own and BMWs they drive is making me think they deserve it. Save the handful of sane and normal people, let the rest of the province swallow itself in debt and corruption.

• Locked thread