Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

So what does the Jenks sense exactly entail? Are you forced to wander around blindly until you run into those encounters or are they optional and unlocking something?

The former. You will come to points where you've asked everyone about everything you have and see no way to progress, so you just have to wander the whole village looking for a random scene to trigger and give you something new to talk about. Hence the comparison to certain old visual novels where you had to do similar to advance the plot, and why I call it "Jenks sense" when I just go right to the scene of the event.

At least in the first episode, it makes a certain amount of sense that you'd want to go to the location where the body was found (where we got the bird pendent).

quote:

edit: Also, calling the occult trail a red herring right now. James doesn't seem like the most stable or trustworthy person.

First James is a red herring suspect, now he's a red herring exposition source while Ryan drinks red herring apple juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Jenks is amazing, James gets more amazing every episode. I can't wait to see what insane poo poo he comes out with next time.

The best twist would be that he's right about absolutely everything...

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
My "Jenks sense" with most of the media with this quality level of mystery is that if someone is bullyish with their denial then they are guilty of something. Or to put it another way He shouldn't be free to be free.

Edit: Is anyone else getting a Assassin Creed vibe off of the free to be free phrase?

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 29, 2015

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Yey, modern FMV games exist! I've been waiting for an FMV game that doesn't take itself too seriously, but still offers production value in this time and age. Somehow the acting and writing reminds me of some Saturday morning children's cartoon, except for the murder. I'm wondering if the acting is overdone on purpose, to make the game more like melodramatic theater play, or perhaps to make it easier to understand when people are being insincere. At least it's not LA Noire.

I want that hat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirDifferential posted:

I want that hat.
Me too, that thing is clearly alive and possessing poor Jenks. Burn the abomination!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I love this poo poo. I really hope they make a sequel but only if Jenks is the star again.

That conversation with James is like a passive-aggressive showdown.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 29, 2015

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
This is quite possibly the most British thing I have ever seen.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Major_JF posted:

Edit: Is anyone else getting a Assassin Creed vibe off of the free to be free phrase?

Maybe it's the setting, but I think of World's End.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 1, 2015

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 4 - 8 PM

A killer is revealed, and also Paul Darrow!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

edit: They're really laying those utilitarism references on thick. Couldn't they have come with a different name than Ryan Rand?
Forgive me if that's :thejoke: but:

Utilitarianism is concerned with the great happiness of the greatest number - or, in other words, it's interested in everyone's well being.

Objectivism is concerned with enlightened self interest - or in other words, gently caress You, Got Mine.

The two are kinda diametrically opposed.

I'm not sure if there's an "FMV acting" generalization to be made here, or if Jenks' actor has a very specific character in mind.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Xander77 posted:

I'm not sure if there's an "FMV acting" generalization to be made here, or if Jenks' actor has a very specific character in mind.

Xander77 posted:

Objectivism is concerned with enlightened self interest - or in other words, gently caress You, Got Mine.

It's all a botanists' conspiracy :argh:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

That Atlas meeting sure seemed totally above-board, didn't it :stare:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Forgive me if that's :thejoke: but:

Utilitarianism is concerned with the great happiness of the greatest number - or, in other words, it's interested in everyone's well being.

The two are kinda diametrically opposed.
Yeah, messed that one up.

I'm very intrigued by Paul's haunted door - it's such a random detail but the game doesn't seem like investigation on a level where a random breeze would be interesting. Unless there's a secret passage or something.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 2, 2015

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
So the now defunct cult has resurfaced as a business course, but the true secret is that they're actually conspiracy theorists claiming the government mind controls people into being subservient. The final plot twist is that James is actually the only sane person and Jenks is the mastermind behind it all.

FREE TO BE FREE MAN!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

I have known that symbol to be American sign language for I love you...

Edit: Did you miss talking to Paul about the necklace? Not the card. The physical bird on a chain.

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 2, 2015

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

anilEhilated posted:

I'm very intrigued by Paul's haunted door - it's such a random detail but the game doesn't seem like investigation on a level where a random breeze would be interesting. Unless there's a secret passage or something.

If I had to guess (and not knowing what's coming), my first thought was that it happened accidentally during taping, Paul ad-libbed a line to cover it, and they kept it in the game.

I want to be wrong about that. But at the same time, I also want to be right.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

Spookyelectric posted:

If I had to guess (and not knowing what's coming), my first thought was that it happened accidentally during taping, Paul ad-libbed a line to cover it, and they kept it in the game.

I want to be wrong about that. But at the same time, I also want to be right.

This is beautiful and I didn't even think about it. There's a bunch of this kind of occurrences in the history of film, and especially low budget FMV games. In [MODE] they apparently decided to keep a blooper in, and there's a few scenes where you can hear the director giving advice in the background. The same author also released Midnight Stranger which to me seems like it was filmed completely by asking random people if they wanted to be in a film and they just did it on the spot.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 5 - 9 PM

The Mysterious Door 2: Revenge of the Wind

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Mind if I come in and stay while you run out of the house because you "have to go"? :confused:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Guys, poo poo is getting serious.

Anyway, she saw an older face in the mirror. Maybe it was a two-way mirror with Paul behind it? They tend to lose their magical properties when it's dark in on the mirror side.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Jenks really is the worst policeman. :allears:

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
He does have his own hat, though.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
9:50pm : Godwin's Law is finally invoked.

It's getting serious!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SelenicMartian posted:

Anyway, she saw an older face in the mirror. Maybe it was a two-way mirror with Paul behind it? They tend to lose their magical properties when it's dark in on the mirror side.

I agree about the 2-way mirror, but how cool would it be if this game ended in a tonally-dissonant fight between Jenks and a badly-CG'd demon?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Bruceski posted:

how cool would it be if this game ended in a tonally-dissonant fight between Jenks and a badly-CG'd demon?
I, for one, wait for the rancor.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I agree about the 2-way mirror, but how cool would it be if this game ended in a tonally-dissonant fight between Jenks and a badly-CG'd demon?

So what you are telling me is, this is going to turn into Hellblazer, but with Jenks instead of Constantine. I'd watch that.

PizzaThief
Sep 22, 2006

Traveling through time AND space?
I love this game and I love you.

I want Jenks to investigate my eventual murder.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I finally put my finger on it. Jenks response when he steals poo poo is The Thing I like about this game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm pretty sure Jenks isn't actually a detective at all. I'm pretty sure he's a crazy person who beat up an actual detective and stole his badge. The talk he had with the Chief was all in his head. It'd explain everything.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

JT Jag posted:

The talk he had with the Chief was all in his head.

It's probably worth pointing out that he wasn't talking with the Chief, just someone at the station. The phone booth is where you call the Chief, however; it acts as a hint system. Some of his 'hints' are amusingly condescending, so I'm planning to do a compilation at the end (along with a couple other ideas).

Episode 6 - 10 PM

This investigation would go nowhere if British people weren't absolute butterfingers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Knowing my adventure games, after that scene in the Mirror Room started I 100% expected someone to attack him.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Still no rancor :colbert:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Knowing my adventure games, after that scene in the Mirror Room started I 100% expected someone to attack him.

I totally thought the black carpet in the hallway was Ryan's jacket.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
"11 o'clock. Just one hour to solve this thing."

What? Why? That's not how police operate, for God's sake!

"Good evening, sir. I'm going to give myself an arbitrary time limit to solve this crime, and keep on bullying you repeatedly until the small hours of the morning by forcing you to squint at all the petty crap I've filched from your neighbours."

:psyboom:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ghostwoods posted:

"11 o'clock. Just one hour to solve this thing."

What? Why? That's not how police operate, for God's sake!

"Good evening, sir. I'm going to give myself an arbitrary time limit to solve this crime, and keep on bullying you repeatedly until the small hours of the morning by forcing you to squint at all the petty crap I've filched from your neighbours."

:psyboom:

That's what time the corpse of the real Jenks will likely be discovered :v:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

fennesz posted:

That's what time the corpse of the real Jenks will likely be discovered :v:

I would not be in the least bit surprised!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

God I love this dumb game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's the two incisors that make his most extreme faces look like it's Bugs Bunny pulling a prank in a rubber suit and a hat.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It's his wide, accusatory eyes that make it for me. "Does this mean anything to you?" (other person hesitates in the face of Jenk's wild-eyed, triumphant stare, burning through his very soul, before informing him that they don't know anything about homebrew)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Ryan's been drinking that same glass of whiskey in the same pose for several hours.

• Locked thread