Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
At least it's not a completely new game asking for $200 for founders packs. It's been out for years outside of Korea, so the people who have been waiting these years for an official English version probably already know if they'll regret buying in or not. There'll still be a ton of impulse buyers who only see "A 'new' MMO being released with beta buy-in? Getting all over that!", though.

Vanderdeath posted:

Blade and Soul's artwork looks like it's being done by Hyung-tae Kim, so yes.

Hyung is their main character artist, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
After what happen with ArcheAge I just can not spend a chunk of money or Item mall items and cash before the game hits US servers for release.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Yeah after the recent string of mmo disasters, I'm probably not going to buy a founders pack for any game I haven't played.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

mightygerm posted:

Yeah after the recent string of mmo disasters, I'm probably not going to buy a founders pack for any game I haven't played.

You can play for free on Japanese servers, just have to slog through translating some registration stuff and a slow download speed. Latency wasn't too bad when I was playing, but from what others have posted it may have been and I just didn't notice since I wasn't getting killed randomly. From what I played there is a lot more depth to the game then what I was able to get through just due to the language barrier. http://www.ncsoft.jp/bns/

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cathead posted:

Yeah I wouldn't blame someone at all for not doing it. Just saying if you're actually looking at value, it's best to go hard on it, otherwise you're better off just waiting.

I get you

I guess it depends really what the cash shop is going to be like for America

have they said much about that yet

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Convenience and cosmetic stuff. You can also buy almost everything from the cash shop with a currency you can earn in game.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Alighieri posted:

You can play for free on Japanese servers, just have to slog through translating some registration stuff and a slow download speed. Latency wasn't too bad when I was playing, but from what others have posted it may have been and I just didn't notice since I wasn't getting killed randomly. From what I played there is a lot more depth to the game then what I was able to get through just due to the language barrier. http://www.ncsoft.jp/bns/

Oh I've played the chinese version, I just couldn't get a decent feel for some of the combat due to the latency.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

And there is a currency exchange, so you can use gold to buy funbucks from other players.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly if you got tricked in the recent string of mmo disasters its mostly because you werent loving listening to the right people. Wildstar had plenty of people that were in game since the early closed betas warning people of both the game and the studio behind it. Archage you could play if you wanted in another region, you could just see the developers track record with patches and even hear one of the top streamers and whale actively poo poo on the game while spending thousands of dollars on it. Anyone could see that the game was poo poo.

Blade and soul started pretty rocky in korea mostly because the game came out at the cusp of what would eventually be a wave of more casual games. Like when it came out people complained that it was too easy, way too forgiving and there wasnt enough grind. So ncsoft tilted hard trying to make the game more hardcore. Then league of legends came out and phone games started to take over the gaming space. People now wanted more casual games.it tilted back into being more casual, then it released in china where it was a big hit. Its also a big hit in taiwan and now seems to be attracting the casual goers in korea as well.

Its a fun game, you can try it out by jumping some hoops without spending a dime. Use wtfast (which is free basically) and it'll dramatically improve the feel over long distances. Even in a foreign language questing is easy because the map will guide you everywhere and the on screen promps will get you throug them.if you like the feel of the game then buy a package, or better yet just wait for it to come out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is the pvp fun
is there any griefing potential
whats the point of pvp, do you get anything out of it, or is it just ganking people trying to quest

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I think you can only world pvp if you're wearing the faction outfits and there is also most likely a 1v1 pvp ranking system since i always see videos of it

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The pvp is fun.

There is no griefing. Pvp is entirely consensual. Players can not fight each other in the open world unless they wear a faction's uniform, or agree to a duel.

There are faction merchants that sell you things for tokens you get for completing faction quests, in addition to the usual money rewards. Increasing your faction rank also let's you buy fancier clothes from your faction merchants. Since all faction quests happen in the same area and are you killing the other faction's NPCs, they're essentially pvp quests.

For example, in the first big hub town, there are two NPC factions active to act as a tutorial. If you put on one of their uniforms, you can kill NPC members of the opposing faction and you get tokens for each kill, that you then trade to a neutral NPC in town for clothes and other things.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
does this have a child race

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think i saw one in the video yea

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
something something jared fogel

the pieces are all there someone make something out of it

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It has a short animal person race that can range from kid to Mr. Miyagi.

They also have the largest variance between minimum and maximum height.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Schubalts posted:

It has a short animal person race that can range from kid to Mr. Miyagi.

They also have the largest variance between minimum and maximum height.

Sadly you can't be a kung fu person and be a short Mr. Miyagi. Have to use swords or magic.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The next class is apparently a magic using kung fu class so hopefully they will get it.

Chances are they wont since they already have the most unique classes in the game.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Lyn (midget furries) get blade dancer (blademaster by another name) and summoner as their exclusives, and warlock (not available on NA release) and force master as well.

Gon (in Chinese they're the Dragon clan, which sounds way cooler) get destroyer as their exclusive, with force master and kung fu master as shared classes.

Jin (plain ol' humans) get assassins as their exclusive, had warlock as another but was forced to share with Lyns somewhere along the line, and have blade master and kung fu master as well.

Yun (Phoenix tribe in Chinese, they're elves) has no exclusive classes at all, and has blade master, force master, and kung fu master as their shared classes.

Apparently there's going to be another class released some time in the future with force master weapon and punching as their attack. I'm betting on it becoming Gon/Kun shared class.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

So, looking around, it seems like the Gon Force Masters and Yun KFMs are a relatively recent addition in Korea? Like it seems to have gone in around June. I wonder if that means we're actually getting a pretty up-to-date client as far as balance and QoL changes and stuff, and they're just going to unlock the actual content as we go along. If that's true I can see us getting Warlock sooner rather than later, probably as like a first major post-release patch sort of thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Warlock came with a cap increase didn't it? I don't think they'll release it or a cap increase too soon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jwang posted:

Lyn (midget furries) get blade dancer (blademaster by another name) and summoner as their exclusives, and warlock (not available on NA release) and force master as well.

Gon (in Chinese they're the Dragon clan, which sounds way cooler) get destroyer as their exclusive, with force master and kung fu master as shared classes.

Jin (plain ol' humans) get assassins as their exclusive, had warlock as another but was forced to share with Lyns somewhere along the line, and have blade master and kung fu master as well.

Yun (Phoenix tribe in Chinese, they're elves) has no exclusive classes at all, and has blade master, force master, and kung fu master as their shared classes.

Apparently there's going to be another class released some time in the future with force master weapon and punching as their attack. I'm betting on it becoming Gon/Kun shared class.

Kinda wish I could play a male Force Master without having to be either a real big dude or a tiny furry dude, but given the choice, I think I'm going to have to go full-on Mr. Miyagi.

EDIT: Or muscle wizard... this is a difficult choice.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 25, 2015

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Warlock came with a cap increase didn't it? I don't think they'll release it or a cap increase too soon.

Well that was kind of my point, it seems like they're going to have a pretty up to date client and will just turn things on piecemeal. Like those other races for Gon/Yun happened after Warlock was already out (since the other new combo added was Lyn Warlock). So if that is the case it seems like it wouldn't be hard to give us Warlock separate from a level cap increase. Idk, we'll have to see what beta is like.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Third World Reggin posted:

does this have a child race

Supposedly you can make then look old as gently caress so instead of just children race you can also have old winkled grandpa/grandma beating the poo poo out of people.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Important question for kung fu game of oiley thighs-

Is there a grappler or someone who has moves in which there is body slams? Wushu beggar pile driver is the best mmo move ever and I want to do more of that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

All I know is that I'm going to be a blade dancer and just spin to win. Really liked their dynamics about parrying with offensive abilities and they have a nice balance between support and control.

Also they got a heavy rework recently, something about at will parries not tied to the spin attack as well as nerfs and buffs in other areas.

e- thank god for the servers being in texas, 60ms ping will be a godsend for fast attacking characters.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Double Monocle posted:

Important question for kung fu game of oiley thighs-

Is there a grappler or someone who has moves in which there is body slams? Wushu beggar pile driver is the best mmo move ever and I want to do more of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFt2qF_As8I

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Never mind. I will not be playing a Force Master. I will be playing an Assassin.

God drat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just about everyone has an attack that slams an enemy from the air when they are knocked up. But force masters dont rely on the combo system or state changes, they are proper wizards so anyone that wants a in your face kinetic experience wont really like them as much.

Instead of combos force masters have a fire and ice dynamic where you build stacks and explode them on the enemies faces. You are constantly changing between the two elements to maximize damage and control.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really, all the classes look fun, which I guess makes sense because the combat in general looks really fun.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

I've been playing Summoner on the playbns servers (Just finished Act 1) since I bought a Founder's pack and I'm definitely happy with my purchase. The playbns servers have some wonky translations and some quests have misleading quest text so I'm hoping when this gets released in the West it'll be much more polished.

It's scratching my Tera itch big time. The mini-cutscenes during Dragon Streams are outstanding and the wuxia movement feels really good even if it's a bit short.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Been looking forward to this for so incredibly drat long. 1/2 years? I really hope they don't gently caress this up somehow.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Monster Mash posted:

I've been playing Summoner on the playbns servers (Just finished Act 1) since I bought a Founder's pack and I'm definitely happy with my purchase. The playbns servers have some wonky translations and some quests have misleading quest text so I'm hoping when this gets released in the West it'll be much more polished.

It's scratching my Tera itch big time. The mini-cutscenes during Dragon Streams are outstanding and the wuxia movement feels really good even if it's a bit short.

Isn't playbns a community run, reverse engineered program?

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

randombattle posted:

Sadly you can't be a kung fu person and be a short Mr. Miyagi. Have to use swords or magic.

gently caress this game

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
This game was really really fun in the Chinese version. Played Blademaster to about where endgame was before they added the first major content patch with the boss girl who uses a giant gattling gun. Probably the funnest mmo combat I've ever played. Just been twiddling my thumbs for it to come west because of how badly the latency affected playability in the end. Goon friend and I made a guide for the Infernal Demon fight because we loved it so much. The boss fights were really entertaining and a good use of the game's already pretty good combat.

Harrow posted:

Kinda wish I could play a male Force Master without having to be either a real big dude or a tiny furry dude, but given the choice, I think I'm going to have to go full-on Mr. Miyagi.

EDIT: Or muscle wizard... this is a difficult choice.

Worth noting, you can make the Gon look less muscley and huge if you really wanted. They'll still be fairly tall, but if I remember right you can set them to look flabby/un-muscular.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

posting three year old trailers to generate hype ITT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWPk327LS6o

also seven year old ones lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCsmuMDXXcU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

And here is a video from a tournament:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLssa4xBZqg

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

My friends are already disappointed in me for saying I'm going to play this when it comes out, am I doing it right?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yes. Also sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I don't know why they'd be disappointing, it's a fun game. :colbert:

• Locked thread