Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm there now. It's a nice spot, but I'm looking around to see what's available. How much room do we need? It's not a huge area and we don't want other people encroaching on goonspace. I do like how many schools are nearby, but only one university. Is that a big deal? I think it's been confirmed that this map will be the same in live, including locations of schools, so I'll try and build some screenshots during work tomorrow and perhaps we can check some out tomorrow.

You're going to spend hours running to universities all over the place, so it's not really a big deal, I think. Schools get used more. I always turned my university trips into epic scavenging missions collecting herbs, mushrooms, etc with detours to check for wild animals. Sadness is only being able to carry one sheep home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Dracneir posted:

I found the same place I built a base in T4:

Somehow it ended up literally right next to the Welcome Banner, which is a bit of a weird coincidence. I liked it in T4 because it was reasonably close to everything (although I no longer remember where exactly everything was) and fairly quiet. Totally down to go farther north, though.

I know that spot, it's where I did my poo poo to learn compound construction. Good area if you were to ask me.

It's a bit of a hike to the chariot, but it's a trade off I'd make.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

ModeSix posted:

I know that spot, it's where I did my poo poo to learn compound construction. Good area if you were to ask me.

It's a bit of a hike to the chariot, but it's a trade off I'd make.

Farther from the chariot puts us farther from ground zero of pubbie drama, so I don't mind a walk, especially if it's past a lot of trees and thorn bushes. I'm scrambling with start-of-semester stuff, but I'll log into the beta and check it out tomorrow.

If anyone is good at wiki set-up, we might want a private one to collaborate on projects since we're probably gonna be scattered across time-zones. ATiTD is a remarkably international game.

Once the game hits ground, the one thing everyone should be doing as soon as they finish tutorial tasks is joining every possible public dig that gets announced. Usually, the experienced players will hand out shovels so you can participate, since it's in their best interest to have you there. Early stuff requires a LOT of stones, and the public digs will taper off within weeks as the hardcore folk get their infrastructure built. I think I usually divided my haul 50/50 between my own set-up and the guild's, sometimes giving a share to public works. Odds are that we're going to want easy access to our region's public works compound, so play nice with the pubbies and try to give back something for everything you use. We are unlikely to be the leaders in our region.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dracneir posted:

Also, I don't think that map is the whole game world. Here is the map I remember:

Here's the map from T6. It hasn't changed in the T7 beta.

So far you guys have been showing pics of places that don't quite have enough wood. You should definitely looks for places with groups of towering palm trees, since they give 5 wood each. They're fairly common and hard to miss.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Here's the map from T6. It hasn't changed in the T7 beta.

So far you guys have been showing pics of places that don't quite have enough wood. You should definitely looks for places with groups of towering palm trees, since they give 5 wood each. They're fairly common and hard to miss.

The spot that Dracneir posted actually has several clumps of trees fairly close just outside of the picture frame, and the trees that are in his image give 4 or 5 as well, I collected my 100 wood for 100 boards from them. So far I think it's the best one that's been posted.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I don't really know what it does, but I'm a massive nerd who is bad with money, so I bought the subscription that gives me some kind of ability where I can request that the land is reshaped around my home. The gf's account has it too. I see that if 5 people have the ability we can pool together and get bigger changes. Will this help at all?

Being a new player, I'm really hoping we can find a more northern spot close to where all the people will be for trading and the like, but I recognize I know nothing about the game so I'm deferring to the goon wisdom of elder players.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

I don't really know what it does, but I'm a massive nerd who is bad with money, so I bought the subscription that gives me some kind of ability where I can request that the land is reshaped around my home. The gf's account has it too. I see that if 5 people have the ability we can pool together and get bigger changes. Will this help at all?

Being a new player, I'm really hoping we can find a more northern spot close to where all the people will be for trading and the like, but I recognize I know nothing about the game so I'm deferring to the goon wisdom of elder players.

This is actually quite a big deal and will basically let us set up camp anywhere as they will add flora and fauna for us (trees too!). Don't get them to teraform your area until after we decide where we are going to set up camp.

Also, thanks for being massive nerds. :v:

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

We'll hold on to the bonus for now. I'm not sure what having two of them will do. If three more people get it, we get something more, but I can't tell what. It's good to hear that we'll have more flexibility with our camp. So we can add resources, or just plants? I'll have to look in to this more. Will this let us shift focus to somewhere a little closer to schools and chariot stops?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

We'll hold on to the bonus for now. I'm not sure what having two of them will do. If three more people get it, we get something more, but I can't tell what. It's good to hear that we'll have more flexibility with our camp. So we can add resources, or just plants? I'll have to look in to this more. Will this let us shift focus to somewhere a little closer to schools and chariot stops?

It will kind of let us set up wherever we want. It lets us basically have plants/trees. We can't get an ore vein or something for example.

Ideally we want to have as many resources available as possible without the packs, however we can get additional resources with those packs.

Regarding locations in relation to schools etc, expect to run a lot no matter where you are. Looking at the layout of the world at this point you can be close to the chariot or you can be close to schools, but not necessarily both.

Keep in mind that not everything will get unlocked in all regions, we may have to travel to other regions to get techs, so really running distance shouldn't be a huge consideration unless of course it's a 30 minute run to anything, that's a problem.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
This weird game sounds amazing, but for now I can't justify anything with a mandatory subscription/people being free to wreck your stuff if you don't log in for a month or whatever. But I will be watching the hell out of this thread. :allears:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

mushroom_spore posted:

This weird game sounds amazing, but for now I can't justify anything with a mandatory subscription/people being free to wreck your stuff if you don't log in for a month or whatever. But I will be watching the hell out of this thread. :allears:

People wrecking your stuff if you don't login for a month isn't a thing. It could be a thing if a law gets passed, but at the start it's not.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ModeSix posted:

People wrecking your stuff if you don't login for a month isn't a thing. It could be a thing if a law gets passed, but at the start it's not.

Okay, cool, that's somewhat better. I might throw a month's sub at it at some point then.

Roughly how much variety/specialization are characters expected to have? Is this a thing where you can at least manage one or two crops and raise a few types of animals, or should you be focusing on becoming The Absolute Best Beekeeper In The World while your neighbor spends all their game time mastering thistle genetics?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

mushroom_spore posted:

Okay, cool, that's somewhat better. I might throw a month's sub at it at some point then.

Roughly how much variety/specialization are characters expected to have? Is this a thing where you can at least manage one or two crops and raise a few types of animals, or should you be focusing on becoming The Absolute Best Beekeeper In The World while your neighbor spends all their game time mastering thistle genetics?

Haha well, some things like bee keeping are click and collect. However you can definitely specialize in what you do.

Examples:
Blacksmithing - this is 100% based on user skill, you actually have to mold a piece of metal into a specific shape and it affects the quality of the item, high quality blacksmith products can trade for a ton and are always in demand.

Glassblowing - this again is 100% based on user skill, you have to blow a piece of glass into a specific shape to make many things. Hookahs being the one thing I remember. Again high quality items can trade for a lot.

Smelting - this is a really interesting/tough minigame in which the amount of smelted material you get out depends solely on how well you can play the minigame.

Mining - it used to be click and get, now there's a gem matching minigame that determines what you actually get.

Crossbreeding - literally genetics in this game, it's pretty in depth and not for the faint of heart.

Art/Puzzle design - There's a ton of different things you can do with this. Building games for others to play and rate (thus granting you test passes), you can make free form sculptures, and there's a ton of other poo poo.

Beetle Breeding - this is by far my favourite. You have to crossbreed your beetles to get different colours and patterns. No two beetles are the same and take on characteristics of their parents. Then you can paint them. Paint mixing is a huge thing, there are hundreds of colours of paint that use tons of different materials to generate different colours.

These are just a few things you can do that can really make you specialized in comparison to your neighbor. Most of them aren't available right from the start though.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I kinda like being a hermit and being self-sustaining, but from previous trial runs of this I assume I can't do it. But if I wanted to live alone and only trade with people once in a while, what could I do on my own? I just dont wanna feel like I'm missing out on progression (universities, public works projects, etc) due to not playing 24/7.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ModeSix posted:

Beetle Breeding - this is by far my favourite. You have to crossbreed your beetles to get different colours and patterns. No two beetles are the same and take on characteristics of their parents. Then you can paint them. Paint mixing is a huge thing, there are hundreds of colours of paint that use tons of different materials to generate different colours.

This sounds especially rad. :)

Basically from my limited knowledge of what goes on in this game, what I'm the most excited about is being able to farm various pretend animals. But there are all these dependencies and it's hard to figure out what's viable, or what's going to take way too much frequent trading. Like, to farm snakes, you seem to also need rabbits, chickens and camels (all of which need their own food). Or to raise silkworms, you seem to need to be really into thistle genetics.

Obviously some stuff is going to change since the old game is closing, I'm just trying to sort out how many goals are reasonable. Like "don't bother with silkworms unless you plan to be raising at least several types of thistle to feed sheep anyway, and will only need to trade for a few if your worms suddenly want them," or "putting down a regular beehive is no big deal and a good idea if you already have camels." Or "you will never be able to reasonably farm rabbits AND chickens AND camels yourself for that snake farm, but trading for the rabbits won't be too expensive."

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 9, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'll work on setting up a basic wiki and maybe a forum for us tonight. What should I make the domain? Do we want a clever name or would the good ol atitd-goons.com be good?

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
I am going to see about downloading this tonight, I am a big fan of crafting.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'll work on setting up a basic wiki and maybe a forum for us tonight. What should I make the domain? Do we want a clever name or would the good ol atitd-goons.com be good?

Sounds good.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Richard M Nixon posted:

Your build, your choice. I'm not fussed.

I think we're mostly going to be a guild of newbies and old timers who are obsolete, but that's probably more fun. We'll learn together.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

So it there going to be a full reset on 9/11 where everyone starts fresh?

And is this game 100% mouse based? I have carpletunel and if it is, then this game will be a no go.

Uziduke fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 9, 2015

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Uziduke posted:

So it there going to be a full reset on 9/11 where everyone starts fresh?

And is this game 100% mouse based? I have carpletunel and if it is, then this game will be a no go.

Unfortunately yeah it's about 99% mouse based, the 1% is using the chat channel.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

ModeSix posted:

Unfortunately yeah it's about 99% mouse based, the 1% is using the chat channel.

Yeah, probably a bad idea then, why I quit playing everquest landmark.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Okay I set up a wiki at atitd-goons.info and forums at forums.atitd-goons.info if you guys want to make use of them/add them to the OP. I'll finish getting them set up over the next few days to look less lovely.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
Sounds good. I'm not sure when I will actually have time to play. If I get hooked enough over the weekend when I have a few hours to play, I can always take Monday off :getin:

Uziduke posted:

Yeah, probably a bad idea then, why I quit playing everquest landmark.

This will change you are life!!!!! Logitech trackball mouse.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

Dracneir posted:

Sounds good. I'm not sure when I will actually have time to play. If I get hooked enough over the weekend when I have a few hours to play, I can always take Monday off :getin:

This will change you are life!!!!! Logitech trackball mouse.

I wonder how the ones with the side ball are, not sure if I can handle without a scroll wheel.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm still partial to a spot a bit more centrally located. I found one today that had a good amount of mud, clay, dirt, and by the river while being just a few minutes from schools.

A bit south of where I'm standing in the 3rd pic. I'm not sure how good the spot is overall, but it seems to have a good amount of most everything. Trees are nearby, about a minute away.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Oh you know what, since this is the same map as t6, would it have the same resources? There's a good map of them here: http://www.atitd.org/wiki/tale6/Atlas

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

Oh you know what, since this is the same map as t6, would it have the same resources? There's a good map of them here: http://www.atitd.org/wiki/tale6/Atlas

No.

Resource locations are always randomized between tellings. However they should be the same as what you can find on the beta server.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 10, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ModeSix posted:

No.

Resource locations are always randomized between tellings. However they should be the same as what you can find on the beta server.

Can I tell where, say, limestone or white sand is without having the skill to harvest it?

For what it's worth, I'm in beta right now and I found two tar pits in the exact same places as the telling 6 map indicates. Is it because that's a physical feature or...

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
Another thing to keep in mind with being at the dense end of the map is that it will be much, much harder to find ore veins. I remember in T2 I was up north, and we had to travel for over an hour if we wanted to go and mine some of the harder-to-find veins. Also, the really rare veins (I forget the metals they were exactly), a handful of players had a straight up monopoly on.

We can still do it if we have people on top of their game and able to plop down mines as soon as the tech unlocks though!

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

Can I tell where, say, limestone or white sand is without having the skill to harvest it?

For what it's worth, I'm in beta right now and I found two tar pits in the exact same places as the telling 6 map indicates. Is it because that's a physical feature or...

White sand yes, sandstone no.

White sand you can just pick up like regular sand. Sandstone you actually have to dowse for, which is a skill that gets opened up a bit later.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ModeSix posted:

White sand yes, sandstone no.

White sand you can just pick up like regular sand. Sandstone you actually have to dowse for, which is a skill that gets opened up a bit later.

Ah, it'll be hard to survey for that kind of stuff without having skilled up in the Beta, I get it.

Well, tomorrow will see the servers open. I want to play around during lunch and try to get off the island, but will I be able to get back to the island to play with the GF? I see people saying it's possible but I don't see menu item for it.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

Ah, it'll be hard to survey for that kind of stuff without having skilled up in the Beta, I get it.

Well, tomorrow will see the servers open. I want to play around during lunch and try to get off the island, but will I be able to get back to the island to play with the GF? I see people saying it's possible but I don't see menu item for it.

You should be able to teleport to a friend. I think that might work, I'm not sure.

It's in the menu under starting locations.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 10, 2015

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

No matter where we camp, we're going to be running around for stuff--it's mostly a choice of which stuff. Papyrus needs to be dried at high altitude, mines will end up all over the place, and you're always short on something. The big ones are clay, water, trees, chariot, thorns--all early-game requirements. Having silt around is important too. You sort of learn to track paths between points like home and the chariots that take you past the silt, or more trees, or whatever. Even if our place isn't as good as what the hardcore T6 people nail down in day 1, being a little farther away from them is a pro of it's own. Fighting for compound space blows.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So with only a few hours to go has there been any consensus on where we're going to set up?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

If it'll be hard to get something perfect anyways, I guess we should focus on a place with more early game stuff? In my quick exploration I never saw anywhere with more than 2-3 trees clumped together. Should we try and find somewhere with a lot of little clusters like that? Or is it best to camp where more high end stuff will be so we're set lager on?

Would proximity to a chariot be best so once it's online we could build a secondary camp at a new resource site?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

If it'll be hard to get something perfect anyways, I guess we should focus on a place with more early game stuff? In my quick exploration I never saw anywhere with more than 2-3 trees clumped together. Should we try and find somewhere with a lot of little clusters like that? Or is it best to camp where more high end stuff will be so we're set lager on?

Would proximity to a chariot be best so once it's online we could build a secondary camp at a new resource site?

Proximity to chariot isn't such a big deal as long as it's not more than 5-10 minutes away.

Basic resources are what we want to be concerned about, trees, silt, clay, thorns. There are the real priorities as we will use a ton of them constantly even later in game.

I've found a pretty good spot in Old Egypt.

It's near the Old Egypt South starting spot.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 10, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ModeSix posted:

Proximity to chariot isn't such a big deal as long as it's not more than 5-10 minutes away.

Basic resources are what we want to be concerned about, trees, silt, clay, thorns. There are the real priorities as we will use a ton of them constantly even later in game.

I've found a pretty good spot in Old Egypt.

It's near the Old Egypt South starting spot.

I think I was there last night. I like that spot, it's very central and it looks to have decent resources. How is the tree situation?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Do I have to do the tutorial in the beta? I wanna go in and scout out spots, but I don't wanna go through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

Do I have to do the tutorial in the beta? I wanna go in and scout out spots, but I don't wanna go through it.

Yep it's compulsory. The beta ends in 3 hours (noon cst) and the game begins.

• Locked thread