Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hot -1 Cold 0 Vol 1 Dark 1
XP: 1/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions:

"Well, I think he's learned his lesson, eh, Sorne? Haven't you, Geoffrey? Just apologise to the Lady and we can get on with another bright, productive day, right?" Just get this out of the way, nice and quick, so we can move on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Sorne: You might have come across a little patronising there - plus, it's hard to convey sympathy when you're not meeting someone's eye. Geoff gives a short, bitter laugh. "Alright? What does it look like? God, I don't need salt in the wound. I'm sorry, I really am, but..." He trails off, and Alex guides him away.
You get the condition Cruel.
Well, that could have gone better. What was your impression of Alex and Geoff's relationship before today? What do you think of how Alex handled the situation? You're at a bit of a loose end now - you can see Sasha returning from the shower looking uncharacteristically mopey, but you know what that's about already, don't you? And I'm sure you've got a lot on your mind. What do you do?

Alex: You lead Geoff away. He's still definitely unsteady, but the encounter with Sorne seems to have sobered him up a little. He starts talking once you're safely out of earshot. "God, I'm making a fool of myself, aren't I? Not like I had much of a reputation to preserve anyway." He stops at the door of his room, and sighs. "You don't need to hear what happened last night. God knows you'll probably have found out by the end of the day, I'm reliably informed there are pictures." He shakes his head; you can't tell if it's disgust or defiance. "I got extremely drunk, I ended up rather... compromised, Teresa took advantage, like she always does. I mean, if the Langley girl hadn't showed up, I'd probably be on a leash by now." He goes through the doorway, and turns to face you. "Christ, I was stupid... you should know, she's up to something, there's definitely a plan there, you know, about the whole... thing... God, I hate this, you know I never wanted this..." Do you think that's true?

"Anyway... should shower..." He starts to close the door in your face. Are you going to push things any futher? How far can you trust him, really? What do you do?

You can fill us in about the Birthrights whenever you want.

e: quoting prompts for new page

Gato posted:

Just a reminder to everyone: please keep the string sheet updated, including conditions and experience.

Alexandra: Jess gives you an angry look. "I think she can take care of herself, Alexandra." But she doesn't follow you and her friend as you and Emma walk away; instead she hangs around seemingly looking to talk with Tim. You're at Emma's door now - do you think she appreciates your intervention?
You get the condition Busybody.

Emma: You punch Ash, and as you bring your hand back you get a fleeting sensation all over, a rush of strength, and when you look at your hand you almost expect to see claws. There's a wild look in your eyes, and Jess shrinks back almost instinctively. Maybe that's why she hasn't come with you and Alexandra? In any case, Alexandra's got your attention now. What do you think her priorities were, just then - to protect you, or to get one over on her enemy, Ash? What do you do?

Tim: Jess turns to you once the others have left. "Scary, huh? Guess that sorts out who's wearing the trousers. That's how I know you didn't cheat on her, it'd be your balls on the line." She smirks, but she mostly just looks worried. "You didn't, right?" Ash is heading down the corridor in the other direction - you could still catch up with him if you wanted, but it'd mean evading Jess. What do you do?

Fiona: Mark bristles and for a moment you wonder if he's going to take you up on that offer. "Concern? Nah, you're a lost cause, Canavan. I just wanted to see if you felt at all bad for everyone else you've humiliated. I can't say I'm surprised." He's probably about to say more, but Lise interrupts him. Does it surprise you that she doesn't take his side?
Mark gives you the condition Selfish.

Lise: "Your sister? I am concerned, Langley, which is more than you seem to be... I didn't see her, but Cedric said she was a proper mess." He seems a little distracted by the revelation, though... your head is pounding. Was it really a good idea to reveal that information to the enemy an unknown quantity? "We - people are worried, Lise, that's all." In any case, he stalks off, leaving you to your little tumble with Fiona.
Mark gives you the condition Irresponsible, and takes a string on you.

Ash: I'm impressed you can walk after that - you're gonna ache for a while. What were you expecting, really? Your Faerie instincts perked up at the word 'promise' - are you still obliged to hold people to their word even if it would end poorly for you? As you head away from that encounter, you can hear raised voices from some of your housemates - do you investigate, or have you had enough drama for the morning? Don't forget to update your harm - you're at 1 currently.

Gato fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 14, 2015

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm: 0/4 | EXP: 2/5 | Conditions: Clenched

I watch Ash disappear down the hallway, I think I'm done talking to him for now. I contemplate following Emma but I don't think I could say anything worthwhile, not in this stupid shirt. I'll talk to everyone at lunch or something.

I was still slack-jawed from Emma punching Ash in the rocks that I didn't notice Jess talking to me, "Huh? No, I didn't cheat on her. Wait, who are you?" I know Jess about as far as I could throw her. I only know that she knows Emma. "I understand why Em punched him but, is every incident going to go this way?" Because RIP me. I still have to explain to Emma about the whole Drama thing.

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 14, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1
Harm 1/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: Inbred, Predator

I was expecting everyone to have a laugh, maybe a slap across the face and.. gently caress, I don't know! I was just taking the piss and they were hanging out there and it was the first thing that popped into my head. I'm walking with pure force of will and just trying to get out of the place I was. As far as her little promise, I can maybe find a way to twist it, but there's self-interest in the whole thing. Plus, what way can I take vengeance on her for not ripping off someone's balls? We keep people to promises to keep some sort of balance, not out of some need to be right. That being said, I could try and convince someone dumb to motorboat her and see if she'll rip theirs off. Eh, might be a bit too much. Plus, all that blood.

However, if there's more trouble brewing, I'd like to be able to be in watching distance if I could. Not that my body is moving very fast. Obviously don't want to be a big part of it, but trouble usually means promises, and promises usually mean I can collect something out of it. Just keep to a distance, keep taking deep breaths, and try not to get near any more angry hands.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hot: 2x Cold: -1 Volatile 1x Dark: -1
XP: 3/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions:

That felt so right. Putting that bastard in his place. No one touches me unless I let them. I felt strong, powerful and in control. For just a moment though I could've sworn my vision blurred and my hand turned to one of claw and fur. It must just be because I'm tired I had some sort of flashback to one those weird wolf dreams. I thumped up the stairs still angry and slammed my bedroom door shut behind me.What gave him the right to think he can touch me. And yet part of me was worried in the old days before... everything. I wouldn't have reacted with such force, such casual violence and I wouldn't have let loose that quickly.

I was scared. Not of him but of what I wanted to do to him. When I'd uttered that threat I'd meant it. Completely and utterly. Now though now, I'm not sure. I-

Was that a knock at the door? Alexandra's voice. Quiet and soft. Asking permission to step into my space. Not just presuming not barging in and trying to take over but asking. Whether she knows it or not that's what I need right now. She's a really good friend like that and it would be just like her to come and check on me, to try and protect me to make sure I'm ok. I mean no doubt she took some pleasure in seeing ASsh take a punch where it hurts the most given the way the two of them fight and argue. Still i'd better give her an answer.

"Come in Alexandra." I say trying to sound a little more cheerful than I actually thought as I paced up and down trying to get my jumbled and confused thoughts in some sort of order. I always think better when i'm pacing and it let me burn off some of the adrenaline I was feeling. I gestured for her to sit on the bed and thought about what else she said. I didn't need protecting. Far from it. I was more scared about what I would do to him than what he was going to do to me.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Hot: 1 Cold: 0 Volatile: -1 Dark: 1
XP: 1/5 Harm: 0/5 Conditions: Busybody, Unloveable

I think she does? I don't understand what Emma went through, what she is going through. I think the Emma from before would have. Honestly, she was never the weak willed one, hard to be, considering her idol. In the old days , there would be less physical violence, but rather a double dose of what I just gave Ash. I've been told that one of the boys who gained our combined wrath had nightmares about the telling off we'd given him. Now, she just punches him in the balls. I don't feel sorry for Ash, he had that and worse coming, I just feel worried for her. In politics, this kind of thing can kill you.

I'm trying to help her. She was there for me when... when things with Timothy went wrong. Didn't press for answers I was unwilling to give, and just supported and comforted me. Why would I not do the same?

Of course, then there's parts of me that recognize that she's a smart and likely to be influential woman and it would be great if I could.. bring her among us. Inhuman urges, but still urges. Still to be held in check and made to heel. Emma would likely be a great Yeerk, but I have good reasons not to do it myself. Anyway, I'm sure it's just Yeerk urges.

But when she invites me in, I'm silently grateful, taking my place on the bed. Nothing awkward about that. We've been long time friends for years. We've spent a fair amount of time in each other's bedroom talking. "Look, you know what I think of Ash. But this is about you. I just want you to know, that whatever you want to do, or don't want to do, I've got your back. And you can tell me anything you want, when you want to.."

Turn on Emma: 2d6+1 8 String, what you think I want, self.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile 1 | Dark 0
Harm: 1/4 | EXP: 1/5 | Conditions: Buzzkill

Note to Gato: Forgot to trigger "My Candle Burns at Both Ends" for the Shut Down; by that metric, Lise got a 10 and suffered 1 harm.)

It's too drat early for this and I need to do my revisions; my psyche is compressing my skull like a hand around a soft, mealy, ancient apple, sending hairline cracks all around its surface... nevertheless, I can still talk for the sake of a long-term objective. "She doesn't -- she didn't -- I just didn't... sleep well. Studying." Who are "people," anyway? More importantly, am I supposed to care that people care? Because right now all I want to do is get into bed and do my extra credit assignment so it will be ready for rechecking and edits later sleep like a drowned girl. I manage to pull myself off Fiona and move towards that objective, though I think I mumble a few words of thanks -- in total honesty, I'm not paying much attention to her.

You do the work in front of you, however much that is, and later on you find out who "we" are -- the Temperance League, possibly -- and you find out why and where, usually involuntarily, and then you do that work too. It'll happen, sooner or later, and if it doesn't I'll make it happen.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

Hot -1. | Cold. +2. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Selfish

I'm not really surprised she took his side. He strolls up right in front of her and uses her sister's accident to needle me without a concern - not that he knew who she was, of course. But when he backed down, I'll admit I was a little disappointed. But look at Lise, she's in a state...

"Hey, wait a second!"

It's not like getting past her staggering is much of an effort, even with this headache. I put a hand on her shoulder - gently, since she's clearly on edge - to stop her. You can see the stress on her face, the poor thing.

"I mean it. You don't look well - in fact, you look in pain. Are you sure you're all right?"

Turning Lise On
[03:51] Jolinaxas !r 2d6-1
[03:51] Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 9-1 = 8
Promise/Self/String

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 2, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I Alexandra's been a good friend. I mean we've disagreed and argued a lot over the years but it's always been good natured. And now I feel like I could use a friend more than ever. I can't make sense of the way I feel anymore. It's all so confusing and wrong. At least I know if I share it with her. It won't go any further.

giving Alexandria what she wants an explanation.

"I don't know who I am anymore" I blurted out that's the root of the problem but it's not all "Since-" I still don't like talking about what happened . "-everything that's happened I feel like that the Emma who came back isn't the same person. Like I'm completely different . I used to be able to pride myself on keeping my temper, of being the last one to get angry. These days though it feels like. I'm the first."

I sat down on the bed next to her. "I'm scared Alex, oh not of pricks like Ash. But of me. See I punched him and yes he deserved it. But it's not what I would have done before." I looked her in the eyes for this part. "But the worst part was I enjoyed it. I enjoyed hitting him. Seeing him a wreck at my feet, Remember the fight I had with Jess? That was the same, the only time I feel like the world makes sense anymore is after I've hurt someone. After I've made it clear I'm in charge. After I've put them in their place." My eyes lowered at this point in shame I suppose. "But it's wrong to think like that isn't it." though the way I said that I was clearly trying and failing to convince myself.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't dump all this on you. But I needed to tell someone or I'd be going insane." I apologised. I hugged her. "Thanks for standing up for me though you're a real friend."

[08:59] Ferrosol turn on Alexandria
[08:59] Ferrosol !r 2d6+2
[08:59] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 8+2 = 10
taking a string on her

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Ey girl, you ever been with a haunted tent?

Hot: -1 | Cold: 2 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1/5 | Conditions: Overbearing, Cruel

Well piss. That did not go how I wanted it to. I watch Geoff leave with a frown, but sigh and shrug my shoulders. Oh well. But what's got my interest the most is the familiarity between him and Alex. I had no idea they were on such friendly terms before now. What's that about? Perhaps their families know one another? That must be the case; Alex handled things way too well otherwise. I'll certainly bug him about that connection later. Now, isn't it right time for a shower? Yes, yes it is. As I turn to head back to my room to collect my toiletries my eyes get a glimpse of Sasha just then.

Oh. Right. She's still quite upset about her father denying her the chance to go on that mission trip at the end of the term. I told her to give it time and see if he changes his mind but I don't think she's that hopeful. Smiling, I decide to go over to her, placing my arm around her shoulders and giving her a squeeze.

"Hey you! I don't see that million-dollar smile this morning. Have to say I'm disappointed."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Hot: 1 Cold: 0 Volatile: -1 Dark: 1
XP: 1/5 Harm: 0/5 Conditions: Busybody, Unloveable

I allow myself the indulgence of enjoying the closeness of the hug. There's not many people I can have this kind of hug with. My three 'chosen ones' I am friendly with, but we're not in an even position. It would be entirely inappropriate. "We are friends." I say. "Whatever happens, I'm your friend, Emma. Never feel bad for telling me these things"

As the hug is broken up, I try to think of solutions. "I'm thinking that's not so strange, after what happened. I mean, it's... not a good way to think, but one can hardly blame you. But I suppose it would be somewhat problematic if the conservative PM started to beat the opposition leader in submission during a PMQ." I try a joke, then feel bad about it.

"I'm... sorry. Just trying to figure what I can do to help. I've always, tried to make sure not to act rashly and on impulse. I try to maintain a regimen, act deliberate. But, I don't exactly know what you're going through, so I don't know if that will do it for you." I give a smile. "I suppose I should stop trying to be such a doctor about this. Just give me a heads up if there's something you feel I can do to help you deal with that."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

XP: 1/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions:

I'm not sure whether to be relieved or alarmed. On the one hand, now I know it was another Peer who did... that to him, and not some supernatural interloper complicating things even further. On the other... of all my peers, Teresa is the most individually threatening, and she has leverage over Geoff. I don't know what her birthright is, exactly - none of us truly know how the others' work. I know... vague things - Teresa's works with voices and messages, but that doesn't tell me anywhere near enough to be safe around her, so when Geoff starts to close the door, I block him, put myself in the way.

I believe Geoffrey when he says he never wanted this. He and Brittany are the real victims of this inheritance; too kind and soft. They should never have been born to their families; they'd never be able to live up to their parents' expectations, never even pretend to be able to. But the fact of the matter is that whether he wanted to be a part of this or not, he is a part of it, and I need something from him now.

"I do need to hear what happened last night." Now that Sorne's not around, my voice drops to something less jovial, harsher, colder. No need for a friendly pretense. Geoffrey may not have wanted to be in this situation in the first place, and I might feel some sympathy for him, but in the end, when have what we wanted ever made a difference? He is in this situation, and he is a foe, a challenger - or the pawn of someone more able, and I have no time to spare for kindness towards him. He breaks easily, he's soft, and half-weepy as it is, so I put the pressure on.

"You will tell me everything that happened last night, Geoffrey, or I will do worse than whatever Teresa did to you. You see, old boy, hearing it straight from the horse's mouth will be far more valuable than any pictures, particularly now that you have at least some of your faculties about you. How were you compromised, how did Teresa take advantage, how did Lise Langley save you?" Lise may be even more important as an ally than I thought...

[10:01am] Nown: Manipulating Geoffrey
[10:02am] Nown: And tagging Sobered for +1
[10:02am] Nown: !r 2d6
[10:02am] Krysmbot: Nown, 10 = 10

I want him to tell me as much as possible about the events of last night

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 16, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Alex: Geoff blanches visibly, his mouth open as he searches for a retort. Then, with a resigned sigh, he opens the door and ushers you inside, closing it behind you. He sits at his desk, unable to meet your eye.

"Listen to yourself, Alex. Did you ever have Eleanor in the end? You'd have made a lovely couple." There isn't a trace of good humour in his voice. "I was extraordinarily drunk last night, you know. So I can't give you a blow-by-blow. But I remember Teresa kissing me rather aggressively, and then... it was the strangest experience. She'd say something to me, and I'd just say it back, without thinking. Sometimes it'd happen straight away, sometimes she'd wait, then snap her fingers later, and I'd just spill. Everyone else was duly impressed, of course. Hawthorne the Hypnotist!" A mirthless laugh. "I don't know what Langley did. I was comatose by that point. I only know what Teresa told me this morning." He shivers. When he speaks, it's the same clear voice as before. "Oh yes, I know all about Langley and her little secret. She was excellent entertainment; just as well, I was getting bored of this pig by that point."

Geoff closes his eyes for several seconds. When he opens them, he looks more tired than you've ever seen him. "Please, Alex. Just leave me alone, will you?" What do you do?

Sorne: Sasha smiles as you hug her, though it's definitely not up to her usual standard. "Oh, Sorne, thank you. Daddy's still being an absolute pain. It's such a shame..." She sighs, than with almost alarming speed her smile returns. "Best not to dwell, right? Anyway, I heard Cutler showed up at your room last night! So are you and he... you know?" She giggles, unable to finish the sentence. Are you surprised she knows? Don't you wish you could look her in the eye? What do you do?

Tim: Jess raises an eyebrow. "It's been a month, dear, you won't be new here forever." She gives her hair a flick, though she seems a little self-conscious now. "My name's Jess. There's quite a few Jessicas around, but if you say Northern Jess everyone'll know who you mean. Though Leeds isn't even that far North." Now that you're paying more attention, you can tell her accent is a little ways off normal for the school. "Anyway, I haven't actually been friends with Emma that long, and, well, it wouldn't have happened if she hadn't punched me, so... yeah. Hope you're into that sort of thing!" She giggles, and turns on her heel, presumably heading for her room.

Hmm. She didn't look entirely convinced when you said you weren't cheating. Are you worried about that? When you next check your phone, there's a text from Jen.

Jen posted:

hey you free at lunch? want to run over stuff for drma?

What do you do?

Ash: At the end of the corridor, you can see Fiona supporting Lise by the arms, though you can't make out what they're saying. You and Fiona must have had dealings in the past, right? What do you think might be going on? When you get around to checking your phone, there's a message from Khalid.

Khalid posted:

secret party tomorrow night. gonna be epic you in? could do with your help

When Khalid says 'party', he means it - this'll be a step above drinking games behind a tree. It must be nice when your uncle can buy half of Abbot's End. Would you impose any conditions if you were to 'help' him?

Emma and Alexandra: You're sharing a nice moment sitting on the bed when you hear the door handle turn. Jess steps through half a second later. "Hey, Emma, have you got a - " She stops short when she sees you two together. "Oh! Sorry!" She starts to back out of the door again hastily. What do you do?

These will be your last prompts of the scene, so now's the time to wrap up anything that needs settling. If needed, answers to Gazes will be given at the start of the next scene.

Gato fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 16, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

"You weren't interrupting. anything." I hastily explained. "Alexandra was just helping me work through some personal problems of mine. I was feeling guilty for hitting Ash like that and we talked about it that's all." God the last thing I want is Jess spreading rumours about me like I'm some sort of lesbian or something. Not that there's anything wrong with being a lesbian just not when I'm infatuated trying to work things out with Tim.

[23:05] Ferrosol manipulating Jess
[23:05] Ferrosol !r 2d6+2
[23:05] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 3+2 = 5
RIP Emma's heterosexuality

"It was just a friendly hug that was all Nothing else." I said desperately scrambling for an explanation.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Harm: 0/4 | EXP: 2/5 | Conditions: Clenched

"Yeah, you have a good day now." I wave as she disappears up the staircase. "Weirdo." What do I even say to that? 'No, I'm not really into that sort of thing'? She didn't seem convinced of my innocence but do I really care? I have to convince Emma that I'm innocent, not her. I step inside my room and start prepping for class. Might as well, I'm definitely very awake now. My phone vibrates as I start the shower. It's Jen asking to meet at lunch. Yeah, no. I back out and send a message to Emma,

Tim posted:

Want to have lunch together?

Regardless of her answer, I'm not having lunch with Jen. There are a million reasons that's a bad idea. I also don't feel like talking to her. I text Jen that "I'm busy, we'll talk later". Preferably with back up from Ash, even if I'm too mad to talk with him right now. I step into the shower and try to let this morning go. It's been a thrill ride but I'm not in the mood. Need to get some bounce in my step before class, can't be grumpy all day. What was Jess talking about anyway? I turn up the hot water and press my head against the tiling, unwittingly passing out.

[15:23] BClip_ Gazing about Emma
[15:23] BClip_ !r 2d6+2
[15:23] Krysmbot BClip_, 2+2 = 4
RIP ME

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 17, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: -1 Dark: 0
XP: 2/5 Harm: 0/5 Conditions: Busybody, Unloveable

"Quite right." I say, getting up. "This isn't Victorian times. When my friend is feeling bad because of some wastrel in this school, she will have a hug." I get up. "Anyway, just tell me if there's anything I can do to help you, Emma, or if you just want to talk. I should probably let you get ready for class."

With that, I cross the hallway into my own room, closing it and taking out my cellphone.

Alright. What I'm about to do sounds so incredibly flakey and bad science that I might be mistaken for someone who'd support homeopathy and 'ancient Eastern Medicine' so I'm not really eager to tell anyone, even my 'inner circle', However, the improvements a fully grown Yeerk gives allow for some impressive conclusions. However, out of habit, you use the habitual human avenues of thought, even though new ones are available. (This sounds like that 'only use 10% of your brain nonsense, ugh) some of them might even be outside the senses humans have.

Look, it's badly understood, and hard to really prove, once we rule the world, we'll get on a proper scientific study, but when you're not really trying to 'guide' your thoughts but just let them go, we can sometimes draw conclusions that can... help. My dad used automatic writing, and tried to have me do it. But the truth is, writing isn't natural enough any more for me. Moslty, it just end up scribbles. A cell phone on the other hand...

I sat on my bed, opened a texting screen, putting myself as the receiver, then I let my thumb waver over the screen, took a deep breath, closed my eyes and thought of Emma. Of her anger, and her worry about that anger, and how to rein that in, how to help her, and I just let my fingers do the rest.

Gaze into the Abyss about Emma: 2d6+1 12 Visions Lucid and Detailed, Visiions Cure me, losing unloveable. score xp for dark

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 16, 2015

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Harm: 1/4 | EXP: 1+1/5 | Conditions: Buzzkill

Jolinaxas posted:

"Are you sure you're all right?"

What a question. No, but I can't tell you why or else my prefrontal cortex will burst into flames -- what am I supposed to say? I wish -- I honestly wish I could just lean into her hand like a normal person might. Say something, complain, cry, whatever it is that works...

Fiona gets a string on Lise.

No. No, of course I can't -- I can't fall behind, can I? There's more to do for my Damocles. "I'm fine, Fiona. It's just a lack of sleep and a -- hrn -- migraine." I move out of her reach in a short, easy motion. "If you've got aspirin or the like, I'd appreciate it. Or just a water, or -- I'll be in my room." From here, it's a short jog to my door, which -- thank heaven -- locks...

Down to brass tacks: I look at my math work, and I begin the extra subroutines in my head, the clicking little collators that -- when I allow it -- can be of surprising use, gathering information constantly, noting the smallest of threats and the deepest, most meaningless forensic data, a postcognitive subliminal demoness living inside my skull whose horn-antennae extend down into pages of arithmetic and score gashes on the roof and the edges of my skull... what happened to Constance Langley?

<MetalForehead> Lise gazes into the abyss
<MetalForehead> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> MetalForehead, 4 = 4
<MetalForehead> WHY

--hkk!--

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Hot -1. | Cold. +2. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1

"Yeah, I can bring by some aspr-"

Oh, she's closed the door. And locked it. Well, I know where I stand, apparently. I need to get myself a bit more presentable, anyway. Wouldn't do to show up for class looking like I slept in a ditch.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 2, 2015

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

"Ah. I figured." I reply, my smile faltering just a tad. "Well he'll come around eventually. I'm sure of it. You have wholly good intentions so how could he deny you on those grounds?" I neglect to mention that perhaps he's worried about his only child going to a foreign country where she could potentially be "taken". She doesn't need to hear that -- and besides, the odds of that happening are slim...ish. Wow that doesn't sound very convincing now does it? And I'm sure me not making any eye contact whatsoever as I try to be supportive and encouraging isn't helping much either. I cringe inwardly.

What Sasha says next catches me a bit off guard. "What? You... know about that? How?" And then I shake my head while letting out a short laugh. "No. There is nothing of the sort going on between us. He just wanted to... talk. I don't think I was very good at being someone to air his grievances to, however." And then I stop myself right there. Already said too much. Bloody hell. Why do I suddenly have the gift of gab this morning? The snakes hiss mockingly. Oh do shut the hell up!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

XP: 1+1/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions:

...She knows about Lise. Teresa knows about Lise, and her... secret? What secret? No, not so fast. She kissed Geoff, and that made her able to, what, speak through him? Is it just a kiss, or physical contact? Is it just speech, or can she control actions? Geoff wouldn't know, would he, inebriated as he was. Why would Teresa even show her power in that way? Lost the element of surprise, and for what - a party trick? No, she's smarter than that, she must have something planned. Plus, Lise has been compromised, potentially, which throws that plan into chaos. I'll... need to be more careful in my dealings with her, until I can figure out whether she's still safe. ...Sorne. I should warn Sorne, at the very least. She's not a part of this inheritance squabble, but Teresa will certainly have seen us together, know that we're acquainted, and target her.

Oh, he's finished speaking, and wants me to leave. "I'll leave you to your shower for now, old chap, but." and I let that pause linger just a bit. "I will be calling on you in the future, to deal with Teresa. Assuming, of course, that you have enough spine to want vengeance against someone who would humiliate you like that." I don't wait for his answer as I head out his door, and to my dorm. Time's moving on, I need to get prepared for the day ahead.

A quick text to Sorne, first of all. We have a droll little series of codes for messages that might be intercepted or read by someone unintended. So when I send:

quote:

Midday. Long-term art coursework planning. Discuss portfolio? Tone + Gradient problems with mine. Yours okay?
I mean "Let's talk at midday about supernatural events related to the birthrights, involving Teresa and Geoffrey" - I use 'art' coursework for that code, just on a whim. Portfolio means birthrights, Tone and Gradient are... well, I'm sure you can guess. Then of course, just as a courtesy, checking in to see if there's anything new on her side.

Message sent, I head for the shower. Here, I can think long and hard, privately, with the ambience of running water helping me concentrate. Well, it's not just 'thinking' - it's another side-clause of this convoluted inheritance. A question posed to the mysterious force behind all this; about one of my Peers. It's... not something I like to use often, because it invariably would lead to the others using it against me, right? This mysterious force is very concerned with giving us an even playing field, so if I abuse this advantage, it will balance the scales one way or another. But this is a serious occasion, so I'll take the risk.

Now, how do I protect myself and my friends against Teresa?

[09:31am] Nown: Gaze into the Abyss
[09:31am] Nown: !r 2d6+1
[09:31am] Krysmbot: Nown, 9+1 = 10

Clear+Lucid and I take +1 forward to achieving it. Also, marking XP for highlighted stat

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

gently caress if I know what's going on in Fiona's head most of the time. She drinks like a beast, though, so she's fantastic at parties. Betting on her's always fun because it's like she's not drinking it at all. Kinda nice to know that no matter how weird things get among the party crew, the guy who ambiguously flirts with everyone is never the weirdest one. With Lise, though? Can't be about anything fun, that's for sure. Lise wouldn't know fun if it bit her in the face, or.. well, anywhere, really. She's not Alexandra-level anti-fun but she's definitely on that end of things. Disagreement? Personal problems? Fiona drop something on her floor?

Eh, not important. Khalid's text is a breath of fresh air after all this dumb shite. Yeah, this sounds good. Then again, Khalid's been known to invite all the wrong people to this sort of thing. Still, don't wanna make it too weird.

To Khalid posted:

lemme invite few people and im in. that work?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I'm going to do this in 2 posts - the first one has all the responses to your final actions in the first scene. The second will have the next set of prompts.

Emma: Jess just looks confused. “What, no – I didn’t… sorry?” She leaves in a hurry. Ever heard of protesting too much? For the rest of the morning, you find yourself running over that encounter, all the dozens of reasons she might have reacted how she did… and wondering about the seed you might have planted in her mind. Maybe.

Sorne: Sasha smiles knowingly. "So he opened up to you then? That's great! I always thought he was bottling something up. Don't worry, I'm sure you didn't do anything... indecent. But you've got to wonder why he picked you, hmm? Not that you're not lovely company!" Well, at least you seem to have cheered her up...

Ash: You get your reply from Khalid a bit later:

quote:

yeah sure man you can invite whoever if you bring the good stuff like last time
You probably want to delete that message - Khalid's not exactly circumspect about these things. Another perk of having the family name on one of the new school buildings.

Tim: It’s hard not to daydream as the steam rises off your body. Your thoughts wander back to your Drama class. You’re holding Emma in your arms, her eyes filled with impressively convincing longing. No, wait, you’re holding Jen. That’s how it happened, right? Now you’re cuddling Jen on the common room sofa – no, it’s Emma, wearing the look of savage glee she had (didn't she?) when she punched Ash. She snarls at you and –

Bam! Your head hits the shower pipe. That’s gonna leave a bump. Just as well you didn’t slip and hit the tiles, or you’d have ended up in the infirmary… although you’d probably get a more restful morning there than you do in class as the images wander through your mind, dissipating all too slowly. Take 1 harm.

Alexandra: Your fingers dance upon the screen with a dexterity concert pianists would envy. Thoughts become output become words become input become thoughts again -

Alexandra posted:

post-traumatic stress every parent’s nightmare was found covered in blood dissociation as ego defense the discredited alpha/beta model I enjoyed hitting him as afraid of you as you are of spare the rod and catharsis reinforces aggressive three paths diverged
A picture emerges from the noise of your subconscious, crystallised for a perfect second: a picture of a girl. A girl struggling not with weakness but with strength, the strength to survive unimaginable difficulty, strength disproportionate to all the petty struggles of life. And you see three paths laid out before you. Attempting to restrain her will only make her more reliant on that strength. Stoking her fear of herself would break her spirit, but it might prevent future violence. If someone were to support her, she might come to accept her new self – but is that really who you want her to be?
Take 1 forward to influencing Emma in whichever direction you think best.

Alex: You wander through the recesses of your mind as if guided by an unseen hand. You blink, and suddenly you're 10 years younger and two feet shorter, standing on the lawn of your estate. A kindly old man with a familiar face is holding your hand; he smiles at you knowingly, and gestures to the scene before your eyes. Your Peers are running around in an elaborate game of It, chasing and evading each other according to rules you can’t work out. You watch as Teresa sneaks up on Geoffrey and plants a kiss on his cheek. “You have to do what I say now! That’s the rule!” she exclaims in delight.

“But I didn’t want you to kiss me!” Geoffrey protests.

“Then you shouldn’t have let me get so close, should you?” Teresa says. Geoffrey groans but reluctantly lifts her up onto his back. The other Peers laugh, but keep their distance. The old man turns to you. “You know the rules now, don’t you? Why don’t you go and play?” He gives your back a gentle push, and you step forward, back into the sterile light of the shower.
Take 1 forward to keeping your friends away from Teresa.

Lise: The symbols and numbers twist before your eyes; your head swims, nauseated. Every equation returns a divide-by-zero. So much for extra credit. You find yourself replaying the morning's events, automatically preparing yourself for a debrief you'll never attend. You watch helplessly as Mark and Cedric and Fiona scatter in three directions, taking the truth with them. The propagation of information can be modeled in epidemiological terms; the R0 is effectively infinite... You feel like your brain is trying to force its way out through your skull. The situation is not under control, Langley. Without thinking, you straighten your back, standing at attention, auditory cortex desperately searching for the orders that will bring you relief. Agent Langley! Come in, Langley. Come in!

You get the condition Losing Grip. You can clear this by getting on top of the situation with your sister, as well as via the normal means of removing conditions.

Gato fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 18, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

SCENE 2
Everyone: Some of you probably have to rush more than others, but one way or another you all make it to your morning classes. Britain’s finest teachers do their very best to fill your head with knowledge, be they cynical old masters straight out of central casting or terrifyingly keen Oxbridge graduates who know the exam specifications by heart. Three and a half hours and four classes later, you’re all released to the (relative) reprieve of lunch. Your year eats lunch in the New Dining Hall, an ancient and distinguished structure with a modern cafeteria unconvincingly grafted on. Even for sixth formers, lunchtime is a regimented affair, necessitated by the difficulty of rotating half of the school through a hall that barely seats 200. You’re all coming from different parts of the school, so you won’t necessarily show up at precisely the same time, but you’ll all get there eventually.

Alex, Lise and Fiona: You’re on your way from Music, which is unfortunately across the grounds on the other side of the school. Richard Pitt was also in the class; he’s drifting along near the back of the group.

Lise: Your headache’s eased off a bit since the start of the morning, though you’re still pretty drained. It didn’t exactly help your concentration, and though you noted the looks of concern on the teacher’s faces (your Maths teacher was particularly disappointed) none of them brought it up – perhaps they already knew about your sister. What’s the next step going to be? Also, your date with Alex is tomorrow night. Do you feel ready? Your instincts tell you he’s been deliberately evading you – how do you feel about that? What do you do?

Alex: Tell me a bit about Richard. How do you get on? What’s your assessment of him as a potential threat? Your date with Lise was meant to be tomorrow - what did you plan on doing in the end? She looks like she’s had a pretty awful morning – are you going to talk to her, or keep your distance? What do you do?

Fiona: Well, that sure was another boring morning. At least you managed to have some fun in Music, albeit at the expense of your ex, Alex. What happened? How do you think he’s taking it? You’re expected at the Housemaster’s office later this lunchtime – what’s that about? What’s he like? It’s a long walk to the dining hall – what do you do?

Tim and Alexandra: You’ve got a slightly shorter trip from Maths – it’ll only take you a few minutes to reach the queue. Also with you are Alexandra’s friend Lizzie and Jen, Tim’s fellow actor.

Tim: Despite your text, Jen didn’t get the hint – she kept trying to catch your eye through Maths. As you walk along, she bounds up to you, standing just a little too close to your shoulder. “Hey, Tim. So what are you doing this lunch, hmm?” She pouts… ironically, you hope. “Did you hear about Emma and Alexandra? Guess she’s pretty desperate, huh… ” It’s not clear who Jen means by that last bit. Have you heard what she’s talking about? What do you do?

Alexandra: You were going to have a little informal meeting with your fellow Yeerks Study Group leads this lunchtime, weren’t you? What’s on the agenda? Of course, that might be a little awkward now, after what happened in your last lesson. Lizzie looks a little sulky - what did she say that forced you to remind her who was in charge? Tim and Jen look thick as thieves – how do you feel about him and Emma anyway? What do you do?

Ash and Sorne: Your last lesson was English, only a staircase away from the dining hall, so you’ve just reached the back of the queue. You’re standing near Cedric and Cutler, among others.

Sorne: Cutler is unsurprisingly avoiding your eye, which is probably a relief. Cedric, on the other hand, is all smiles – he made a point of sitting next to you in English, and I’m sure you were only too happy to talk him through the finer points of the Classical allusions in T.S. Eliot’s early work, right? “In fact, Sorne, if you’re not doing anything after classes this afternoon, I was wondering if you’d care to join me for a walk?” His accent is aristocratic but still distinctly Scottish. “I’ve always thought that it’s the perfect way to take stock at the end of the week.” Did you agree to meet Alex this lunchtime like he suggested in that text? What do you do?

Ash: Cutler edges over to you nervously, an almost comical sight given that he's six foot five of muscle. “Listen, we need to talk. It’s about… you know. The stuff.” He looks agitated – you know exactly what he’s been taking, don’t you? Not your usual anabolic steroids, am I right? Behind you, you can hear the perfect gentleman Cedric asking Sorne out. What do you do?

Emma: You’ve just finished Art History, and have the misfortune of reaching the dining hall first. Misfortune because you’re not permitted to linger with your tray, waiting for a friendly face – the hall staff wave you firmly to an empty table. And who should sit down opposite you but Khalid, hair gelled immaculately, wearing his most unctuous smile. “Hello, Emma. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s told you, but you look lovely. How was your morning?” Did you agree to lunch with Tim in the end? What do you do?

Feel free to call upon more NPCs whenever you want, the only ones with established subject choices are Alexandra's minions. Remember to keep the string sheet updated!

Gato fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 18, 2015

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Hot -1 | Cold. +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1

Oh yeah - Music was a good time. I managed to convince the professor that we should work on some Jazz, since I'm not really one for the boring classical stuff. Of course, it's one of Alex's weak points, since I think his parents would have beat him with a switch if he played anything composed this century or even considered something that wasn't a cello. I may have even needled one of my groupmates to ask to have him in our ensemble and set a rather fast pace just to see him try to keep up.

The Housemaster, a Mr. Mark Ruhlman, or so the directory says, has made himself somewhat scarce so far; I'm sure with some apparent fallout from last night that's going to change quickly. He's one of the Humanities teachers - English Literature, I think? Just out of graduate school - one of those types who aren't content to say with three syllables and some clarity what they could instead say with twelve and a sourced footnote. He says he has some concerns about the physical altercation (that'd be a fight, you twit) that I was involved with a few days ago when those girls from another floor were bothering Sorne. To be fair, when he saw me it had only been a few minutes and I still had a few dire-looking marks on me. I've been trying to put it off but he's been creepily insistent (at least, that's how it feels.)

This walk across the grounds to lunch is wearing on me already. Who planned this? Unforunately, the only people I know walking nearby are Alex and Lisa, and I don't think either of them would like me as company right now. So I take out my phone and send Ash a text.

Fiona posted:

Any lunch plans?

Whether he's currently lucid enough to get the usual subtext of "let's go get a little drunk/high", I have no idea. I didn't see him last night at all, come to think of it.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hot: 2 Cold: -1 Volatile 1 Dark: -1

Art History wasn't too bad we were discussing the use of Chiaroscuro in 17th century art. It was absolutely fascinating I hadn't realised the interplay of light and shadow could make such a big difference. I was actually in quite a cheery mood by the time we went to lunch. After all what had happened had happened and there was no point worrying about it. Besides I had a lunch date. I wanted to sit down and talk with Tim. So his offer to take lunch together was a godsend. Standing in the lunchline the sight of all that meat was enough to get my mouth watering. I hadn't realised I was that hungry So I chose a delicious looking Hamsalad. . and asked them to put more ham on. A lot more ham. Mm the more meat the better. . I think the dinner lady behind the counter looked at me oddly but she didn't say a word. Good if I wanted her opinion I'd ask for it.

I sat down at the nearest available table. Looks like I'm one of the first ones through. Meant I could get a table to myself for once before hooking up with Tim later. But it's as if the gods come together to mock me who else should sit down opposite me but Khalid. I mean i'll give him his due when he cleans up he's not half bad looking. I can see why he has had so much luck with the ladies in the past. But he doesn't with me. I can still smell that odd cloying scent of his beneath the mountains of cologne he has on for a start and besides I already have a lunch date so the last thing I need is him harassing me. Once was enough today. Still I'd prefer not to hit him if I can help it. I'm not even a person to him just the latest pretty accessory to hang off his arm. Not like when I'm with Tim who makes me feel...special, wanted, loved.

I responded to that insincere flattery bluntly and attempting to give him no illusions that I was playing hard to get. "Shove it Khalid. I'm already meeting a friend for lunch. Go try your sleazy charms on someone who might actually fall for them. I'm not in the mood." I said a hint of menace creeping into my voice.

21:03] Ferrosol shut down Khalid
[21:03] Ferrosol !r 2d6-1
[21:03] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 10-1 = 9
giving Khalid the condition sleazy he can give me whatever.

It would be so tempting just to hit him right now. To see that fear in his eyes to watch him whimper and beg for me not to hurt him. But no I'll give him a chance to behave. Besides I don't want a reputation for hitting guys.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Harm: 1/4 | EXP: 3/5 | Conditions: Clenched

My head still hurts from my incident in the shower, at-least no one saw me. Thank god. And then there was that weird dream. A scramble of the events of last night, all of that wrapped up with a splash of depravity at the very end. It was beautifully unsettling. I would enjoy it more if it was the slightest bit detached from me. Now I'm just worried. I glance at my phone as I walk into the dining hall, Emma wants to see me. This day has gotten much better.

Jen presses against me as we stand in line for food. I groan but she (probably) ignored it and starts talking. She did this during math too. Clearly last night meant something to her. How do I say she means nothing to me? I drop that train of thought when she brings up the spreading rumor that something took place between Emma and Alexandra this morning. Yeah, I heard about it. I'm The precious American commodity. I've heard "poor guy" and "does that mean he's single?" while wandering the hallway. Sometimes one after another. I can't say I care to believe it. Like most other things, it's probably a misunderstanding. I grab my food and tell Jen that I'm seeing my girlfriend. I put emphasis on the words. I'm losing my patience dropping hints but I have to play nice for the sake of the club.
-
Shut down Jennifer
[14:13] Krysmbot BClip, 8-1 = 7
[14:14] BClip Praise the gods in heaven
Giving her: Thirsty
+1 XP

-
I pick Emma out of the crowd and head over to her. Looks like she's brow beating Khalid into the ground. Don't know this kid much either but Em tells me he's a prince and doesn't leave her alone. I get flashbacks to my dream this morning and suddenly feel on edge. She doesn't particularly look like she's enjoying this. Still, I make a cautious approach and calmly say hi to her. As much as I want to drown her in hugs and 'I'm sorry's, I'm not being held responsible for the mood whiplash.

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Ah, lunch. One of the few times of the day that seems to agree well with the writhing snakes on my head. To be honest I'm not all that hungry, though the break from lessons is appreciated either way. I shuffle into the dining hall along with everyone else, and it takes me but a moment to realize that there are some familiar faces present in the queue. Cedric gives me a smile and I return it, though the sight of Cutler quite obviously avoiding me leads to my jaw clenching in response. Should I say something to him? No, not now. Too many people around. This afternoon perhaps? Yes that seems like the correct approach. After lessons have ended... if I can find him that is.

Cedric chooses the moment to engage me in conversation, and I'm more than happy to oblige. "A walk?" Well that would certainly put the squeeze on my plans involving Cutler. I also think back to the text message Alexander sent me this morning before classes...

quote:

Midday. Long-term art coursework planning. Discuss portfolio? Tone + Gradient problems with mine. Yours okay?

To which my response had been...

quote:

Concur. Portfolio discussion endorsed. Assistance still needed with issue that was earlier discussed.

...Yeah, sometimes I wondered if I was going a bit overboard with this code-language we'd established. All me message meant was, "Yes let's discuss the heirs and birthrights like you asked. And also my situation with Cutler."

I briefly scan the area for any sign of Alex before responding to Cedric's invitation, "Oh that sounds lovely. I haven't taken a proper walk in what feels like ages. Though how about we push it back to this evening? That works better for me if that's alright with you."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Look at those two lovebirds. A walk at night? How romantic. Sadly, I've got a metaphorical huge fuckup waiting to happen on my mobile and a literal one standing right next to me. As much as I'd like to make fun of them all, I've got priorities. Oh, and Fiona wants a chat too. Fantastic. First off, texting Khalid.

Khalid posted:

ya mate delete these texts thanks

Then, we can give a quick response to Fiona.

Fiona posted:

Not really, give me 5 to sort something out.

As I delete my version of them, I can move on to problem number two. Part of me thinks I should tell him to settle down but I doubt that'd do anything. Given some of the things I've helped him find, both to enhance his athletic abilities and to make him feel less poo poo about it, I doubt relaxing is going to be in his vocabulary any time soon. "Cutler. Mate. You've been doing what I told you, right? You're not taking it every day?" One nice thing about selling fae-stuff is that being vague about it is nice. I've basically been selling him liquefied ogre parts, and it does the trick in a pinch, but too much is going to cause some likely side effects.

I look back towards Sorne and Cedric, trying not to seem too interested in their little romantic rendezvous. Yeah, Sorne scares the poo poo out of me, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to have a roll with her. Cedric's not half bad either. Still, focus on the problem at hand. "That stuff was powerful, experimental. You gotta take care of yourself."

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 19, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

XP: 2/5 Harm: 0/5 Conditions: Busybody,
Locations: Dining Hall

Now there's a question that hung with me. It makes sense of course. Emma was always one who liked to be in charge of things. For her to be at the mercy of some terrorists would hurt her like that. And now she's trying to regain her security, her authority. And since violence was used against her, she's using violence in turn. But what to do? The violence might be the thing that props up her self-confidence after the kidnapping. If I take that away, will she crumble? But that thirst to dominate through physical violence, it will hurt her aspirations. It will hurt us, once she's among us.

I briefly think whether I should just stop thinking of making her one of us. Maybe it'd be for the best if she didn't become a politician. Maybe it's for the best if she didn't become Yeerk. No. No, she is my friend and she worked hard. She deserves what we have to give her. And she deserves her dreams to come true. But how to... Hmm... channel it. Find someone willing to undergo it. Find someone who'd agree to suffer for her, who'd agree to be put in their place. A lightning rod. Or perhaps more accurate, an effigy for the ones who took away their power. Perhaps with some aid it can be channeled in non-abusive ways.

So, who to pick? Who to sacrifice, so that Emma might regain her stability. Keep calm and make a list.

Timothy Park: They are already together, and she does seem to take the lead in the relationship. He hasn't seemed too domineering. He's new here, without the influence of parents who might object to their son now and then sporting some bruises. Lottery winners don't tend to be too influential. And his acting talent might make him better at hiding what is going on. Of course, here is the problem. I'm not thinking of accepting him among us, but if he's with Emma, and we don't break them up, he'd get implanted too. That might simply be the price of it. If he will accept any physical abuse, he probably earns that. And we can see about bringing out the best in him.

Jess Allen: She became friends with Emma after they fought. And with fought I mean 'Emma beat the stuffing out of her'. She might accept this kind of thing. And of course, she doesn't have influential parents either. If things go wrong, she could be pressured in not revealing it. Back up option.

Khalid al-Hussein: Added for completion. Emma does not actually like him, but that could be a plus. However, if he were to seriously object, he could very much cause Emma a lot of trouble. Then again, he's proud enough. If getting her in trouble might mean revealing things, he might hold back.

Alexandra Smyth-Worthington: Yes. Myself. I don't... harbor any lusts, nor do I want to change our relation, but it would be both the safest solution, and ethically superior. Of course, there is the issue that any such relation might lead to implantation. Not only do I not want to do that, but considering what implantation does, it would completely undermine the purpose of the relation. It would be a risk to our friendship, and not pleasant. I prefer to be in charge, but I shouldn't let myself be steered by desire.And maybe I deserve it It is simply one avenue to keep in mind.

For now, Timothy is the one who is in a relation with her. I should have a talk with young Mr. Park at some point. See about making sure he's willing to stick with her.

Of course, with all that thinking, I had a good bit of annoyance, so I had perhaps less patience than normal for Lizzie She'd heard about Ash's indiscretions, and was constantly giving him a death-glare, and making suggestions of what to do with him. Now, they weren't bad plans, planting drugs on him was one I'd entertained myself, but they held too much risks. So in the end I'd just snapped at her.

"Would you focus on your class for a few minutes, Elizabeth? You're being awfully distracting, and not at all helpful." I'd said curtly.

Here's the thing. I don't need to yell. It automatically feels like a good idea to her. But then, she knows that it is because what she is that it does, so it gives them an unpleasant feeling, even as they feel satisfaction at doing what I say. So yes, she was being sulky. But acting on impulse had already caused enough harm. Lizzie should learn to always be discreet, to always be patient. And of course, to keep your eye open. Jen and Tim were being relatively close. That merited keeping an eye on.

For now though, there is a meeting. Yes, there is some awkwardness, but what kind of Brits would we be if we let some uncomfortable feelings get in the way of a planend meeting. Besides, it is an opportunity to pass nutrients, and I never pass on those. We go to the table in a corner we tend to use, me taking my preferred spot that allows me to get a good look on the rest of the dining Hall. I quickly pass the bathroom beforehand to spit in the bottle of orange juice, then get to the table, giving them all a glass, as well as myself.

Hmm, Cedric isn't here. Ah, he's talking to Sorne. Trying to gather information for Mark? Cedric didn't go for women I thought? Mark... told me that at least. He wouldn't have told me that just because Cedric didn't respond to my advances, right? There's a sting somewhere, but I push it back. Look, there are serious things to worry about, no time to be a silly girl. "Well then, the main matter of concern is the girl who got left behind this night. Miss Constance Langley. I should like to talk to her. Try to find out if she freely got drunk, or if someone slipped her something. And if someone did anything untoward to her. And perhaps I can nudge her towards better habits."

"Then there is the matter of Ash." I give Lizzy a look. "On that matter, I have something of an idea. It might be good if His grace prince El Hussein found out about Mr. Spearing''s boorish behaviour. Honestly, he's almost as bad as Ash at times, but if those two have a fight, it can only benefit this school."

"And finally, Sorne Jasso. Hopefully the next one to join us. Cedric is already occupied with her, and I'm sure he'll tell us all about his chat with her. Now, I'm listening to ideas."

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 20, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

XP: 2/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions:

Jazz is stupid, moronic, yet another example of Americans forcing their absurdities on the rest of us. All loudness and wailing in place of having any actual 'soul'. I'm sure Fiona picked it just to spite me. She always was spiteful when sober. Ordinarily, I'd ignore her, but I'm in a foul mood already from what I 'learned' from Geoff, and a bit on edge from having Richard nearby. After all, Fiona wasn't the first forbidden tryst I had. Nobody can know, of course, but... well, he was my first friend in the Peers, and my closest, and last year on break, traipsing through the woods of his parents' estate, we... made a mistake. Not that it was unenjoyable, or wrong, but... we were foolish about it. Even then, we knew that it couldn't possibly last, but alone in those woods, for a few hours we thought we could escape it all, just run away together. I don't know if he still thinks we can, but I knew I couldn't, so I said what needed to be said, to make him grow up and realize it was just a daydream.

He hasn't forgiven me, I'm sure. I haven't really forgiven myself, either. I don't know where we stand now, to be honest. He hasn't been threatening, he hasn't tried to reconcile, he's just been... distant. A wildcard, I suppose, is how I would classify his 'threat'. In any case, plenty of reason to be tense, I'm sure anyone would agree. That's why when I catch sight of her smile - the way she smiled when we were... attracted, something in me snaps, and I can't help but break my silence.

"Glad you found that lesson so funny, Fiona. Everything always relies on how personally amusing it is to you, doesn't it? No wonder you never make anything of yourself; people who think like that never belong here." Or anywhere, for that matter.

[8:55pm] Nown: Shutting down Selfish Fiona
[8:55pm] Nown: !r 2d6+1
[8:55pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 10+1 = 11
Giving her the Condition Outsider

For all the awful morning I've had, Lise looks like she's had one much worse, though going by what Geoffrey said, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised... and we were meant to have a date tomorrow, weren't we? I'll be damned, I haven't really planned. I guess I didn't even expect her to say 'yes' to it in the first place! And now I have Teresa and Cutler to deal with, and Teresa's already gotten to Lise, and... argh! Well, if she knows at least there's no point trying to keep her hidden, but I don't know what Teresa even did to her. Is she safe to be around? Is she even capable of being an ally?

...Only one way I'll find out, I suppose. "Rough night?" I call over to her. "Any chance we can talk over lunch?"

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Emma: Khalid looks shocked for a brief, satisfying moment. Then he leans back and spreads his hands in a gesture of insincere placation. “Look, I get it, I do, I’m just saying, I think you’re trying a bit too hard. I mean, Tim? That guy’s the definition of beta. And, you know, if you want to say you’re lesbian or whatever, that’s fine, I get it, but with that frigid bitch? You’re not fooling anyone.”
He gives you the condition Fickle.
You can see Tim greeting you as he approaches over Khalid’s shoulder. What do you do?

Tim: Jen looks unperturbed. "Alright, sure. I'll see you later anyway. Just... don't get hurt, alright?" She goes to sit with some of her drama friends.
She gives you the condition Oblivious.
As you approach Emma you catch the tail end of Khalid's little screed. What do you do?

Alexandra: Mark chuckles when you mention Khalid. "I don't think you really get guys like Khalid, Alexandra. He doesn't give a poo poo about her feelings or boundaries or anything like that. He's more likely to give Ash a high-five for what he did." He downs his orange juice without even blinking. " Don't know if you've heard, but he's having a 'secret' party tomorrow night in the village. If you want something incriminating on any of the usual suspects, I've got an invite, and I'm sure I could get one of you in as a plus-one." He smiles at Lizzie. "You see, sometimes not burning your bridges pays off."

In the seat next to him, Lizzie's fiddling with her insulin syringe; she misses his little dig. "We've already got one mess to clean up, Mark, we don't need another. I think talking to Constance might be a dead end, she's never been very cooperative. How well do you know her sister, Alexandra?"

How well, indeed? What do you think of Mark's plan to infiltrate the party? Out of the corner of your eye, you see Cedric finishing up his conversation with Sorne and heading your way. What do you do?

Sorne: Cedric smiles. "This evening would be lovely. I'll come find you after school, then? I'm afraid I've got to meet with some of the Study Group members now - you'd be welcome to join us, but, well, I don't know how interesting you'd find it." He gestures in the direction of the corner table, where Alexandra, Mark, and Lizzie are sitting. How much do you know about the Study Group?

Alex hasn't arrived yet - you know he's got a longer walk than most between him and lunch. And there's plenty going on in the meantime. You can see Cutler looking agitated, in a furtive conversation with Ash. On the other hand, you see Geoff sitting by himself on another table, looking morose - he meets your eye, then quickly looks away. Or you could take Cedric up on his sort-of offer. What do you do?

Ash: Cutler keeps his voice low, though you can tell you're getting a few odd looks. "Of course I'm not taking it every - well, I mean, there's the tournament coming up, so probably more than I should, but I'm fine, it's just - it's Wilko, alright?" He means Mr Wilkinson, the boxing coach. "He wants to know what I'm on - not, like, to get me in trouble, but I think he wants to get some of the other guys on it, I mean, it'll make them better, and it'd make me look less suspicious and I just - I don't know what to tell him! Also, I - " He shoots a nervous glance behind him in the vague direction of Sorne and Cedric. "I told So- I told someone, about all the pressure and everything, I didn't mention you, I didn't mention the, the stuff, but they brought it up, they're suspicious - " This is not going well, is it? What do you do?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Selfish, Outsider

Earlier, after Music

"I-I just wanted you to try and have some fun, Alex. That's all I ever wanted..."

He's right, though. Maybe I don't belong here. Trying to act like something I'm not and making the best of it with these flimsy little people who'll die centuries before I even have to worry about gray hair. What's the use?

========================

Fiona posted:

Take your time. Have to get there and eat, anyway. Not sure who thought the Music building should be on the other side of the country...

At least it's not too crowded out this far. I don't want to deal with people right now. At least Ash is usually good craic. The only difficulty lies in meeting with this sad little teacher afterwards. Maybe I should take it a little easy, just to avoid the bother...

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

XP: 3/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions: Fickle

WHAT DID HE JUST CALL ME. He better not have just called me a lesbian. Because if he has I'm going to punch him into the middle of next week.

20:34] Ferrosol hold steady vs Khalid
[20:34] Ferrosol !r 2d6-1
[20:34] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 9-1 = 8
you keep your cool

I took a deep breath and didn't move.He's obviously just trying to provoke me into saying or doing something I regret. Well I'm not going to give him the satisfaction. I'll just ignore him that'll only infuriate him even more. Especially since Tim's right there. I stood up and picked up my tray manfully resisting the urge to break it over Khalid's stupid face and turned to Tim and gave him a big smile. "Tim! Come on let's go find somewhere where the company is more congenial."

spending a string on Tim to offer him an xp so that we can get out of here without too much fuss.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Harm: 1/4 | EXP: 4/5 | Conditions: Clenched

Oh boy, Khalid is going to get his face punched in. I should do what I did with Ash and get in Khalid's face. Or do I play hype man and hold her back while she yells, "You're lucky my boy is holding me back"? I can't help but smirk at the image. She exhales and turns to me with a big smile on her face. There's love in it but the balling of her fists under the table tells me everything I need to know. She suggests we move and I'm all for it. "Yeah, we can go anywhere you want."

Taking that XP

We pace the room as she picks out a space to eat. I think back to what Jessica told me, "Good on not smashing the punk's head in."

I don't know what to say. I get the feeling this is going to be a pretty heavy lunch. Best to start light, "So, how did your classes go?"

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 21, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

XP: 2/5 Harm: 0/5 Conditions: Busybody,
Locations: Dining Hall

"Oh, I never thought Khalid actually cared about her, but I imagined he might have some possessiveness regarding her. But I'll take your word on this, Mark." I nod as Cedric sits donw, motioning to a chair. "Have a seat, Cedric. Take some orange juice. We're discussing the work that is starting to pile up." I give a wry grin.

"Lizzie has a point. We have plenty to do, and should stretch ourselves thin. On the other hand, our presence at the party could give us some tools to deal with problems more quickly in the future. You're not going to make many friends inviting me along though, Mark." I say. "But there could be options. Hmm... I wonder, Ash is known to being a flirt to more than women. Now, I have no doubt that Khalid's parents care very little for their little prince to engage in most forms of debauchery, but they might be a lot less accepting should they find out he has been made one of Ash's conquests. Which could give us leverage, or alternatively, might be a way to have one vector for bacchanalia removed from this school. But I'm not sure if that is feasible. Just an idea to keep in mind for when the opportunity strikes."

Speaking of which, I see Khalid's provoking Emma again. I can't quite make out what he's saying, but I briefly tense. Then Emma walks away. Good. Good. Yes, it might be for the best if something was done about Khalid al Hussein

"Now, the matter of Constance. I would like to go check on her myself. Cedric, if you could join me there. Maybe she'll be willing to talk with you there, since you were the one who brought her in. I don't know her sister that well. She's the Treasurer, came out of nowhere really, and I know she's serious about her duties Good grades as well, so promising, but never showed an interest in the study group. Serious minded too. I don't think she's the type to approve of drunken benders. Her sister, I'm less familiar with."

"I went to talk with her sister. Don't think she appreciated my intervention." Mark said.

"Yes, she is relatively private. But she might owe some gratitude towards Cedric. But we should at least go check on her sister, and talk to the school nurse. I want to know if she knows what she was on. Could just be drink, could be drugs, could be someone is slipping roofies. How was the talk with Sorne, Cedric?" I look at him curiously.

"Oh, it was fine. I'm meeting her later tonight." He says with that calm, collected smile. No over-protective parent could see any problem with him saying 'meeting with her later tonight'. He has anti-innuendo in his voice. But what are his intents? I s he just more dedicated and willing to go far or.... Not the question now, we've got things to do.

"All right. So, here's how we're going to do this. Cedric and I are going to the infirmary, see how Constance is doing, and whether she's ready to talk. Mark, I'm a bit worried about Emma." I'm not going to tell her what she told me. Fellow Yeerk or not, that was in confidence. Still, I want someone to keep an eye on her. "Just try to be around in case Ash or Khalid or someone else is giving them any problems. Cover for her when needed. It would be good if she's at least passingly familiar with you for... the future." When you will no longer be under my influence but independent, and Emma will hopefully be ready to be made part of us.

"Lizzy, I'm going to have you keep an eye on someone else, but a bit more risky. With a party tonight, and a party last night, I want to know what Fiona is up to. See who she talks to, see if you can find out whether she knows anything about what happened to Constance. And, quite frankly, if you find a way to torpedo her public reputation, by all means. She is toxic to a school environment, so short of physical violence or stuff that might get you expelled, consider your hands untied."

"As for tomorrow night tonight, I'm flattered by the invitation, Mark, but I'm hardly the right person to go undercover. My reputation would both damage my effectiveness there, and be damaged by my presence there. That's why you are my plausible deniability. Take Lizzie with you. You two dated until recently, so it would raise less eyebrows. Just remember to be careful with your drinks. I'm sure a lot of people would find it very hilarious to put something in your drinks."

I finish my drink, looking over the group. "All right. We all know what to do, let's get to it."

That said, I walk along with Cedric, making sure to keep a nice, chaste, platonic distance in case Sorne is watching. "So, Cedric, I didn't want to mention this with the others but... what do you plan to do with Sorne? Are you just, getting to know her, or do you want to... give her a gift." Outside of a locked room, I don't normally talk about it as implantation of course. Never know who's listening. But we're upper class and Brittish. Euphemisms come naturally. "I wasn't sure, whether you were the right one for this particular individual."

Manipulate Cedric: 2d6+1 8: Not sure if this is something I need to roll for, but Alexandra wants to know what his intentions are with Sorne, because she thought he was gay. (because he never went for Alexandra, Mark did implant him, and she heard rumors via Mark) What does she need to do to get this out of him?

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 21, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

XP: 3/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions: Fickle

Even Tim's walking uneasy around me now great. This is fantastic. Still what can I do about it really. "Umm my classes were fine. I hope yours were too." but enough pussyfooting around. "Listen about yesterday I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you before just for having a little perfume on you." Yeah time to go all in and go for the throat. "Oh and I just wanted to say thank you for dragging me away from Khalid before I did something I regretted. If you hadn't have come along when you did He'd have been wearing this food." I really don't know what's wrong with me lately. I didn't used to let little creeps like Khalid bother me before but now, now the slightest little thing seems to set me off. I'm on a short fuse and it feels like it's getting shorter and not longer the more things go on. I just hope the explosion won't be too bad.

I was afraid.Really afraid I liked Tim and it seemed like he liked me. Not for my notoriety but because he seemed interested in me as a person. But now my stupid reactions were driving him away. If there was another girl behind that perfume could you really blame him for choosing her over me. I'm not going to give him up without a fight though. "Listen I want to make it up to you. Want to go grab a coffee or something after school in town?" I asked "it could be just the two of us alone." I said teasingly as I rubbed my foot along his leg.I bet whatever other girl he's interested in wouldn't do that.

[00:00] Ferrosol turn on tim
[00:00] Ferrosol !r 2d6+2
[00:00] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 5+2 = 7
string/promise/give self

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

He wants -more-? Shite, that wasn't something I was completely expecting. I mean, I'd have to get a whole Ogre to fill that. Well, this is gonna get complicated. "Look, I won't make promises because I'm not an idiot and I thought this was a favor for a friend." Well, that's debatable, but it's probably not completely bollocks. "Let me talk to my people, see if I can find anything in bulk. Might be a while, though. As much as I'm all for school spirit or athletic achievement or whatever, this'll be something real complicated. Expect that's not a big issue?" Cutler himself probably wouldn't know a big issue if it was on his rear end right now, but it's about all I feel comfortable saying at the moment. "Gimme a few days, can get you an answer then."

I look around for Fiona in all the sea of humanity, smirking a bit while looking for the girl. I don't even know if Cutler's still standing there like an overgrown little kid. "Best I can do on short notice. Sorry, mate. Talk to you soon." And with that, I can leave the scene without enraging the possibly roided up individual. Well, can put that little situation on hold, as soon as I find Fiona. Shouldn't be too hard, she's usually not exactly about subtlety or even necessarily sobriety at this time of day. And just on queue, there she is. "Hey, Fiona. How's last night? Had to miss it because of Chel-based reasons. Heard it was the usual, though, right?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Selfish, Outsider

There he is. Always a bit of a smile on his face, like he's in on a joke you didn't hear...

I sort of wave him off for a second to grab two of just about everything that's on offer for lunch before wandering over with a full tray.

"All right, I guess. Just about the same. Well, except - you know that Lise girl from my floor? Apparently her sister was there and got hurt? You know me, I'm never keen on people having a bad time. Especially if whatever happened to her wasn't just her not knowing her limits, if you know what I mean. But you didn't miss much else."

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Harm: 1/4 | EXP: 2/5 | Conditions: Buzzkill, Losing Grip

What a vile freaking morning -- commands from the ether towards no end with no fine-tuning, just a generalized urge to act, channeled into the slightly more coherent urge to hit Khalid directly between the eyes and scorch his drunken overbearing threat psyche clean, which I'd want to do anyway, hopefully. That's more an end goal, though; for now, I think it's advisable to try to talk to Constance more directly. She'll disclose to me -- she has to. She knows what it's like to live under constant compulsion.

Alex... I don't know what to think about Alex. I don't know what to think of the date, for that matter -- what does he hope to get out of it, exactly? If it's pleasure, there are more willing and more capable individuals; if it's an emotional connection, well, likewise. That's the exhaustive list of reasons, as far as I know -- there are certainly more effective ways of obtaining status or tutoring or all the other little low-prior options.

Now he's been avoiding me, though -- glances in the other direction, eyes fixed on points that are pointedly not myself once or twice. Maybe he's just lost interest? (Honestly, the idea appeals a little -- I'd have more time to deal with my own problems, and I'd be able to stop worrying -- but it hurts a little, too, on some deeply-buried "normal teenager" level. Is whatever made you interested not good enough to hold that interest?)

AdjectiveNoun posted:

...Only one way I'll find out, I suppose. "Rough night?" I call over to her. "Any chance we can talk over lunch?"

Ah. Hopes dashed/lifted(?). "Painful, yes." I try a smile, although it doesn't come easily -- I feel like my teeth should be shooting sparks, in fact, like Wintergreen gum in a dark room. "The time may be inconvenient. I'm dealing with an unexpected situation, along with extra credit work --" (the work I couldn't make up earlier because my protocols were attempting to protect me from, oh, my protocols, my handlers were just bloody wizards at programming weren't they) "-- so I can't promise you an extended conversation. Topic?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Hot 2 3| Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm: 1/4 | EXP: 1 0/5 | Conditions: Clenched

I lean closer to Emma and kiss her like I should of last night. "Yeah, I'd like that a lot." A date, she asked me out on a date. How could I say no to her? "I was afraid you were going to put my skull through your tray. This is a way better." I cover my mouth, I'm getting too excited. I calm myself and kiss her again. Anything to shut my stupid mouth. I let us have our moment. "I'm free whenever you want to go out this evening. Just call me." I wish I could keep doing this but I think I'm starting to embarrass her. I let us enjoy lunch for a few moments.

She apologized, now it's my turn. "About last night, I should explain. It wasn't anything bad. The drama club is running a romance play. I'm one of the leads. And we had to be very close and I guess perfume got on me when we were practicing last night. It's going to go on for a little while." I feel sheepish telling her about this. I'm sure she'll understand. "Last night was a bad misunderstanding."
-
Give String

Turn On Emma
[18:19] BClip !r 2d6+4
[18:19] Krysmbot BClip, 5+4 = 9

Taking a +1 Hot

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 22, 2015

• Locked thread