Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

white men who cant jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skateboardjesus
Oct 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dr Cheeto posted:

People who or put toilet paper on the holder the wrong way around

But if I put it on the "correct" way the cats will unroll the whole thing you fascist.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
Otherkin.

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world

skateboardjesus posted:

But if I put it on the "correct" way the cats will unroll the whole thing you fascist.

cat owners

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Otherkin

E gently caress

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
trans racial, probably

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
fat people

theyre probably not a literal minority but they loving whine like one

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
straight men who get called gay just because they can't stop sucking dicks

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
none, we've got all the real ones.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
there are exactly two genders and everyone is one or the other

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

this is that one with the undercover detective furry right

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

no thats sexes

genders is whatever you identify with

(I think this stuff is dumb as hell as well but this is what people involved in this poo poo tell me)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Son of Rodney posted:

no thats sexes

(I think this stuff is dumb as hell as well but this is what people involved in this poo poo tell me)

no american culture has had only two genders for its entire history. turns out declaring a thing to be true doesnt make it true

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

I've seen some strong and reasonable sounding arguments that there can be more than 2 gender roles in society, essentially there were certain kinds of men and women that were not treated like conventional men and women. I guess a terrible and offensive analogy in the US would be how women treat flamboyant gay men, they're not really viewed the same way as a random straight dude even though they are both male.

I think the genderfluid or nongender binary or whatever stuff is all largely special snowflake syndrome but I could see how a culture could develop more than 2 gender roles in a more natural and unforced manner, you could make the argument that we already have that in many cultures.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 14, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Son of Rodney posted:

no thats sexes

ironically they have it backwards. it is very possible to have no sex, or to not be completely one sex (like, say, someone born with partial reproductive organs of both sexes). but neurologically, each gender has a distinct architecture. when one of these people claiming to be "non-binary" or whatever poo poo they've personally come up with presents themselves for study and displays a neurological architecture distinct from either that is currently known to science then I'll accept the existence of people who are non-gendered but as far as anyone informed can tell right now that's bullshit.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

I've seen some strong and reasonable sounding arguments that there can be more than 2 gender roles in society, essentially there were certain kinds of men and women that were not treated like conventional men and women. I guess a terrible and offensive analogy in the US would be how women treat flamboyant gay men, they're not really viewed the same way as a random straight dude even though they are both male.

there's sort of a failure of the english language, here. trans people are people who have the neurological architecture of one sex, but the genetic and physical architecture of the other. we don't know exactly why or how it happens, but the nature of it is something we basically understand. now traditionally, the word "gender" has meant what you're referring to: the relationship between your place in society and your sex. but, with the revelation that there's such a thing as neurological sex distinct from physical sex, and the lack of a term in common parlance to refer to this, "gender" has taken on this meaning as well, and it's in this sense of the word that I'm saying there are only two genders. socially, there can be numerous and varied gender roles, sure.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm the shovel

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

symbolic posted:

i'm the shovel

I'm swinging you

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

I think the genderfluid or nongender binary or whatever stuff is all largely special snowflake syndrome but I could see how a culture could develop more than 2 gender roles in a more natural and unforced manner, you could make the argument that we already have that in many cultures.

gender != gender role

there are two genders

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

lmbo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I'm swinging you
no, windows 98 is swinging me

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
seriously anyone who forces their child to wear a fursuit deserves to get murdered by burly working class fellows in broad daylight

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

gender != gender role

there are two genders
That seems like kind of an obnoxious distinction that revolves around ignoring you know what the other person meant in favor of trying to nitpick. If someone is saying they're not one of the binary genders they're saying they don't ascribe to the traditional gender roles associated in their culture/society for men/women and you'd have to be incredibly obtuse to not see that.

The way I see the vast majority of people use these words is:
Sex = biological
Gender = gender role

Ie you can be biologically male but ascribe to female gender roles, so you consider your gender female.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

people who self identify as sports equipment

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
bird person(s)

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I dunno fifty shades of grey and everything maybe you'll see white people walking around in leather bondage gear to dinner and the movies instead of just pride parades

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

That seems like kind of an obnoxious distinction that revolves around ignoring you know what the other person meant in favor of trying to nitpick. If someone is saying they're not one of the binary genders they're saying they don't ascribe to the traditional gender roles associated in their culture/society for men/women and you'd have to be incredibly obtuse to not see that.

The way I see the vast majority of people use these words is:
Sex = biological
Gender = gender role

Ie you can be biologically male but ascribe to female gender roles, so you consider your gender female.

lol at you criticising other people for pedantry and obtuseness

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

lol at you criticising other people for pedantry and obtuseness

"I'll accept there are more than 2 gender roles in society but not that people in those roles identify as something other than 2 genders" is some Olympic level mental gymnastics.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

there's sort of a failure of the english language, here. trans people are people who have the neurological architecture of one sex, but the genetic and physical architecture of the other. we don't know exactly why or how it happens, but the nature of it is something we basically understand. now traditionally, the word "gender" has meant what you're referring to: the relationship between your place in society and your sex. but, with the revelation that there's such a thing as neurological sex distinct from physical sex, and the lack of a term in common parlance to refer to this, "gender" has taken on this meaning as well, and it's in this sense of the word that I'm saying there are only two genders. socially, there can be numerous and varied gender roles, sure.

How much of this "neurological architecture" is actually caused by cultural conditioning tho

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

okay, so someone who is, in every facet of their biology, male, but "ascribe[s] to female gender roles"? I'm not sure why anyone would ever do that, unless you just mean something like a man staying at home to watch the kids while his partner works to support them, but I don't think most people really see that as a man deliberately adopting a female gender role, so much as they see it as the erosion of that as a gender role. or unless you're advocating that homosexuality be considered a gender? regardless, we're still talking about different things.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

:gas: before the fists start flying

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

shovelbum posted:

How much of this "neurological architecture" is actually caused by cultural conditioning tho

well this isn't my area of expertise so I can't give a full accounting of the details, but as a layperson, my understanding is that the phrase "neurological architecture" refers to the actual structure of brain tissues, of white and grey matter. I'm not sure if that answers your question, but for any more of an answer I'd have to refer you to an actual neuroscience, or at the very least material published by one. but this is so far outside anything I've ever formally studied that it should be taken as the ravings of a driveling buffoon.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

okay, so someone who is, in every facet of their biology, male, but "ascribe[s] to female gender roles"? I'm not sure why anyone would ever do that, unless you just mean something like a man staying at home to watch the kids while his partner works to support them, but I don't think most people really see that as a man deliberately adopting a female gender role, so much as they see it as the erosion of that as a gender role. or unless you're advocating that homosexuality be considered a gender? regardless, we're still talking about different things.

Nah I mean even mtf are still biologically their original sex, they've just adopted a different gender role and by extension, gender.

e: for clarity this is a pretty layman interpretation of sex & gender but from what I've seen it's pretty much the most common.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 14, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

Nah I mean even mtf are still biologically their original sex, they've just adopted a different gender role and by extension, gender.

in that case I humbly suggest that your understanding of the experts' understanding of GID might be outdated, per what I posted above. but again, I'm not a neuroscientist.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

night elves

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
polyamorists

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

well this isn't my area of expertise so I can't give a full accounting of the details, but as a layperson, my understanding is that the phrase "neurological architecture" refers to the actual structure of brain tissues, of white and grey matter. I'm not sure if that answers your question, but for any more of an answer I'd have to refer you to an actual neuroscience, or at the very least material published by one. but this is so far outside anything I've ever formally studied that it should be taken as the ravings of a driveling buffoon.

If you insist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Polyamorists, or maybe adult-incest practitioners

This relationship is as valid as any other relationship between consenting adults :qq:

• Locked thread