Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Poetic Justice posted:

So just give all homeless people a house? Is that even remotely sustainable lol Do they get free water/electricity too? Where do you draw the line? Should they get free SA accounts with plat while we're at it?

A 12 gauge double ott buckshot round to the face is a lot less expensive IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Rutibex posted:

misery doesn't actually make people more productive, the opposite in fact

ah yes, the ole "give people stuff for doing nothing and they will suddenly be motivated to do something" ideology

InsanityLater
Jan 14, 2008

H.H posted:

Basically, the premise is that said character will become the head of your company, and if you so happen to engage in illegal activity and get caught, will do time instead of you.

How you know it's fiction... the concept of corporate criminals even going to jail anymore

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Poetic Justice posted:

So, what should these newfound homeowners have to do to maintain ownership of said home? Is it theirs for life no matter what?

After a few months of help they are generally able to land a job and take over the payments. Most people in a bad situation just need a boost to become productive citizens again, be it medication a place to live or whatever. It is literally impossible to go from nothing to something you need a boost first. This is true even for the successful, although pride and stupidity prevent most people from seeing the support they got along the way.

Now I know this is gbs and you are trolling, but if we were in public or at a bar and I heard you say that, I would follow you home and beat you to death. Savage beatings are what's needed to fix our society, but the people in power have framed violent revolution as a childish dream, even tho violence or the threat of violence is the only way to change things. See the fiction that the civil rights movement was non violent. Dr. King literally told Kennedy that he couldn't keep the black community capmuch longer, that we could do things Kings way or the Malcolm X black panther way. Same thing for Ghandi.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 17, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

After a few months of help they are generally able to land a job and take over the payments. Most people in a bad situation just need a boost to become productive citizens again, be it medication a place to live or whatever. It is literally impossible to go from nothing to something you need a boost first. This is true even for the successful, although pride and stupidity prevent most people from seeing the support they got along the way.

Now I know this is gbs and you are trolling, but if we were in public or at a bar and I heard you say that, I would follow you home and beat you to death.

Uh, good luck getting through the gate tough guy :rolleyes:

Maybe you guys don't realize that water/electricity and land are all finite resources and hence have innate value. so what happens when you run out????? what's your perfect solution to the homeless then? give people their own planet rofl

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 17, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd like a nice split foyer with blue siding and a nice deck out back. ty

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
We should have them go to fake job interviews but when they get there they have to have sex on camera. I mean it has to be someone's fetish. A rising boner lifts all boats.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
hey sir. Hey sir. I'm not homeless but I left my purse on the subway. Could you spare a couple bucks so I could get something to eat

*twitches violently from obvious crack withdrawal*

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Poetic Justice posted:

Uh, good luck getting through the gate tough guy :rolleyes:

Maybe you guys don't realize that water/electricity and land are all finite resources and hence have innate value. so what happens when you run out????? what's your perfect solution to the homeless then? give people their own planet rofl

This coming from the retard who originally proposed that homeless people be hired to serve jail time as some sort of panacea.

Yes, finite resources are finite. Yes, there are some individuals who will simply live in substandard conditions if it means that they do not have to work. The majority, however, simply need a boost for a few months/years to develop a firm foundation from which they can succeed. So yes, the idea would likely be to have eligibility for subsidized housing, water, electricity, etc. to be tied to an individuals income/assets/liabilities/expenses; once you make enough money to start providing these items for yourself, the subsidies slowly disappear (a "step-up/down" program, if you will).

This is the problem with modern American political discourse. One idiot proposes an incredibly dumb idea, which is countered with a well-thought plan; the original idiot, however, is upset that everyone thinks his idea is retarded, so simply keeps shouting about how the well-thought plan might not be perfect in every single way and thus they should just stick with the original incredibly dumb idea. Because of malaise and indifference of the general population, nothing is accomplished either way other than the original idiot acting smug.

edit: VVVVV look, the smugness is already in full effect.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 17, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

1redflag posted:

This coming from the retard who originally proposed that homeless people be hired to serve jail time as some sort of panacea.

Yes, finite resources are finite. Yes, there are some individuals who will simply live in substandard conditions if it means that they do not have to work. The majority, however, simply need a boost for a few months/years to develop a firm foundation from which they can succeed. So yes, the idea would likely be to have eligibility for subsidized housing, water, electricity, etc. to be tied to an individuals income/assets/liabilities/expenses; once you make enough money to start providing these items for yourself, the subsidies slowly disappear (a "step-up/down" program, if you will).

This is the problem with modern American political discourse. One idiot proposes an incredibly dumb idea, which is countered with a well-thought plan; the original idiot, however, is upset that everyone thinks his idea is retarded, so simply keeps shouting about how the well-thought plan might not be perfect in every single way and thus they should just stick with the original incredibly dumb idea. Because of malaise and indifference of the general population, nothing is accomplished either way other than the original idiot acting smug.

I agree, you people suggesting to just give away land and homes haven't thought your plan all the way through. At least you noticed, so good for you!

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Let them post in Gbs???

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

1redflag posted:

The problem is you think talking will do anything. American politicians have been talking about healthcare reform for 40 years, but it only took one guy less than 2 years to actually make some changes.

We need an active leader who will do things, not better discourse.

Trump 2016

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Poetic Justice posted:

The way things work right now is if you are wealthy you pay a lot of money for a good lawyer to get you off so you don't have to do anytime in jail/prison. Or you pay off the judge, or both. Either way it's just moving money around the already wealthy. So, how about rich people pay homeless people to do their prison/jail time for them instead. It will get them off the street, give them a place to sleep and eat, and when(if) they get released they will have some money to make something with their lives.

sounds like a modest proposal

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

satanic splash-back posted:

The problem is you think talking will do anything. American politicians have been talking about healthcare reform for 40 years, but it only took one guy less than 2 years to actually make some changes.

We need an active leader who will do things, not better discourse.

Trump 2016

I understand (or at least hope) that at least part of this is irony, but I'd like to finish the thought. So we just need to elect an individual who will cut through the bureaucracy and take action without having to wait for a common consensus? One individual who will simply tell us what to do based on what he believes is correct? A man with an olive-loaf for a haircut?

Are you proposing a dictatorship?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
They do this in China, OP. Or at least some rich criminals manage to turn into completely different people between the time of their arrest and the time of their court appearance.

or at least the Chinese say so, they all look the same am i right?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poetic Justice posted:

ah yes, the ole "give people stuff for doing nothing and they will suddenly be motivated to do something" ideology

it worked for 200 years of USA history, giving people free land who then went on to be wealthy and have huge productive families :shrug:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Now I know this is gbs and you are trolling, but if we were in public or at a bar and I heard you say that, I would follow you home and beat you to death. Savage beatings are what's needed to fix our society, but the people in power have framed violent revolution as a childish dream, even tho violence or the threat of violence is the only way to change things. See the fiction that the civil rights movement was non violent. Dr. King literally told Kennedy that he couldn't keep the black community capmuch longer, that we could do things Kings way or the Malcolm X black panther way. Same thing for Ghandi.

I like you. :)

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
sometimes I wonder if there are people who don't understand that people are joke posting on gbs most of the time

then I read a gbs thread

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

1redflag posted:

I understand (or at least hope) that at least part of this is irony, but I'd like to finish the thought. So we just need to elect an individual who will cut through the bureaucracy and take action without having to wait for a common consensus? One individual who will simply tell us what to do based on what he believes is correct? A man with an olive-loaf for a haircut?

Are you proposing a dictatorship?

you are a micropenis boner

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Profondo Rosso posted:

make them into food

i'm developing a spell that wil turn them into nutritious cabbages

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Seriously though, the answer is Soylent Green

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

kill them all

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Poetic Justice posted:

So just give all homeless people a house? Is that even remotely sustainable lol Do they get free water/electricity too? Where do you draw the line? Should they get free SA accounts with plat while we're at it?

you don't give them homes, you give them apartments and yes it is sustainable. nobody is going to be homeless to live in subsidized housing forever. this is like the welfare queen argument. also in utah the apartments aren't completely free. also it is sustainable because it is cheaper to do this than to just keep rotating them through jails and hospitals. the state of utah saved millions. it frees up resources to be used elsewhere

'should we protect the most vulnerable of society? lol, no we should just let them die and be miserable because they had a poo poo life lololol'

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I guess you just hate saving money OP

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

eat the rich, homeless can have their homes

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

eat the rich, homeless can have their homes

i like george carlin's solution, plow over golf courses and country clubs and put up housing for the homeless

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
some billionaire wants to put all the refugees on a private island from Syria, so maybe try there

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

'should we protect the most vulnerable of society? lol, no we should just let them die and be miserable because they had a poo poo life lololol'

Finally somebody is speaking some goddamned sense around here

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Dapper Dan posted:

i like george carlin's solution, plow over golf courses and country clubs and put up housing for the homeless

Literally this. Golf courses are a loving slap in the face. If they were national parks that'd be one thing, but they aren't. They are social status clubs for rich people who mostly join for the country clubs.

Edit:

the golf culture and the manner in which people talk about "going some rounds" has been hard to take for me lately since moving to Fairfield county CT (NYC's backyard).

You know the stereotype of boats and golf handicaps? Faggots in their oxford shirts, shorts, and loafers with no socks?

It's all true...

ALL OF IT

:(

Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 17, 2015

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
The fastest way to solve the homelessness problem would be to force all congressmen, senators, governors, and so on to take homeless people into their homes to live. They're largely responsible for people being homeless, so it should be on them to take those people (that they've poo poo on for so long) in and take care of them personally.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Rutibex posted:

misery doesn't actually make people more productive, the opposite in fact

What's the motivation to get educated or get a job if you aren't miserably scraping by struggling to eat?

If someone paid for my poo poo I'd just lay in the dirt all day letting fungus grow over my eyes

Only the constant threat of a hunger games style existence makes a man want to get out of bed

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

the solution is meth til deth dawg :ducksiren: :hf: :whatup:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They should do one of those renovation shows where they go around and find sleeping homeless people and build a small house around them. Then they wake up and complain about the finishes and appliances and poo poo.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I say we just build a giant loving tower full of small studio apartments and put htem all in there. then we lock the door and burn it down NO gently caress YOU I DONT HAVE ANY CHANGE YOUVE ASKED ME THREETIMES TODAY STOP STANDING OUTSIDE MY OFFICE

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Commie NedFlanders posted:

What's the motivation to get educated or get a job if you aren't miserably scraping by struggling to eat?

If someone paid for my poo poo I'd just lay in the dirt all day letting fungus grow over my eyes

Only the constant threat of a hunger games style existence makes a man want to get out of bed

I hate this stupid loving argument. Yeah, living in subsidized housing for the homeless and being assigned a social worker sounds like living the dream.

Just know that this perception you have of this being great puts you in the minority. Just like people who abuse welfare and food stamps. They are the minority.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Nooner posted:

I say we just build a giant loving tower full of small studio apartments and put htem all in there. then we lock the door and burn it down NO gently caress YOU I DONT HAVE ANY CHANGE YOUVE ASKED ME THREETIMES TODAY STOP STANDING OUTSIDE MY OFFICE

Make them all live w nooner

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nooner posted:

I bet you had change. Liar.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

social vegan posted:

Make them all live w nooner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Why not get them to kill the homeless people then bribe the judge.

• Locked thread